2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 447 comments
Liverpool have confirmed Arne Slot as their new head coach from June 1st, the Feyenoord coach signs a three-year deal and will replace Jurgen Klopp.

Interesting that Slot will be a head coach, Klopp was a manager.
Good spot that one. I'm not sure exactly, but I think that means less involvement outside of matchday (I.e. transfers etc)?

Good spot that one. I'm not sure exactly, but I think that means less involvement outside of matchday (I.e. transfers etc)?
Maybe the board felt like LFC needed someone to come in with sweeping changes prior to Klopp being appointed, where as they feel what they've got currently just requires someone to concentrate more on the team they have and are happy with?

Last edited:
Pochettino leaves Chelsea after one season

Seems like they are jumping the gun...
Screenshot 2024-05-21 221829.jpg

Pretty big surprise about Poch, Chelsea were doing really well towards the end of the season and it looked like everything was clicking into place, this new Chelsea project is just a mess and its seven manages in eight years for Chelsea now.

I wouldn't mind Poch at United though.

No Henderson or Rashford in the provisional 30 man England Euro squad. uncapped James Trafford, Jarrell Quansah, Jarrod Branthwaite and Adam Wharton all picked.

No Henderson or Rashford in the provisional 30 man England Euro squad.
Neither of which can be a massive surprise to them, or anyone. Weird he's still picked Luke Shaw though.

Also Chelsea can piss off if they want Danny Rohl.

Southgate did say that Shaw is unlikely to make the 26 man cut off due to his injuries and fitness concerns.

England do have a problem at left back, Shaw is the only recognised one in the squad with Ben Chilwell not being picked, Joe Gomez and Kieran Trippier can play there but are not naturals in that position, and Trippier is getting on a bit.

West Ham's Lucas Paqueta has been charged by the FA for an alleged breach of betting rules, he's been accused of deliberately seeking to receive a card in four Premier League matches for betting purposes.

Its been a nine-month investigation that he was co-operating with and he has released a strongly worded statement in response.

Man, Wayne Rooney looks like a house now. His head is like a squinting bowling ball.

«hyperventilating»

Contract was reportedly to the end of the next season, with a £5m buyout clause for him and another £5m for his staff. Extension moves it to the end of 2027.

I literally can't believe we've done something right, after two absolutely ridiculous jaws-of-defeat seasons with two all-time records for surviving previously unsurvivable depths.

If only Mount Rushmore had a giant hand that could be applied to one of the heads, we might get close to the magnitude of facepalm required for this one:

All you need is a big name as a player. Him and Kompany proving that this week.

At least Kompany can actually manage a team.
Yes but him getting the Bayern Munich job is a huge, almost embarrassing climbdown for them. Kompany has won the Belgian league and the English second tier. They are accomplishments, sure, but no other manager with that CV would be anywhere near one of the most elite managerial jobs in the world. If [thinks of random second tier manager] former Chester, Tranmere and Sheffield Wednesday player Ryan Lowe had that CV, would he be anywhere near Bayern Munich's shortlist?

I find it part of a trend of keeping the same names in the game even after playing retirement which has slowly crept in over the past decade.

Man United have won this years FA Cup beating Man City 2-1 in the final, Garnacho opened the scoring thanks to a mix up at the back for City between Gvardiol and Ortega, the second goal was anything but lucky for United which was great play from United finished off by Kobbie Mainoo, Doku pulled one back late on but it was deserved win for United who had a game plan and executed it perfectly, City weren't really at it.

All the talk in the build up to the game was about ten Hag and how it could be his last game, I thought it was really disrespectful and maybe a distraction for the players, I wasn't sure about whether he should be replaced before the game and I'm even less sure now!

Just the Championship play-off to be decided and that's this year's thread done with.

Southampton have won the Championship play-off final and have secured promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt, Adam Armstrong with the only goal of the game in the first half beating Leeds 1-0.

Leeds... the first Championship team this century to finish with 90+ points and not be promoted

Here's an oddity.
Serie A finished in Italy last weekend for everyone...
Everyone apart for Atalanta and Fiorentina that is, who play this Sunday. The game was postponed in March and due to their European Cup runs neither Atalanta nor Fiorentina could play the match before the season finished!

Atalanta have already qualified for Champions League, and Fiorentina qualify for European (Vauxhall) Conference League in 8th place next season whatever the result.

However, if Atalanta win on Sunday they will go above Juventus into 3rd place.

I can imagine Juventus would rightfully be upset about that...

Back