Full AI - The End of Humanity?

1716514853115.png

Last edited:

I was dealing with this new "feature" just the other day when I googled my daughter's congenital deformity to see if it was linked with some of the symptoms she has been having and google AI proudly explained that it was indeed linked. Only problem was that none of their source articles said that. They took unrelated sources and melded them together to give me an incorrect answer.

This isn't just a bad idea, it's negligent.

I love that AI was trained in large part on internet content and therefore the answers that you get largely reflect the answers you'd get if you asked the internet a question. Mostly helpful, often inaccurate, occasionally pure troll.
I was dealing with this new "feature" just the other day when I googled my daughter's congenital deformity to see if it was linked with some of the symptoms she has been having and google AI proudly explained that it was indeed linked. Only problem was that none of their source articles said that. They took unrelated sources and melded them together to give me an incorrect answer.

This isn't just a bad idea, it's negligent.
I think it's a bit like Wikipedia used to be. Useful as an overview, do not take any specific points seriously and do your own research from primary sources before you actually use the information for anything. I don't think as an information source it will ever really get much better than that. The source material (the entire internet) has too much jank in it for a system with no comprehension to be able to totally filter it out.

I think we'll have to be able to restrict the source material and ask for summaries to get decent answers, like for a medical question you could ask it to take information only from certain qualified medical information and research repositories and summarise the findings for you. AI is an amazing tool, but it's still a tool and I think at the moment people are still discovering what it is and isn't good at.

I think we'll have to be able to restrict the source material and ask for summaries to get decent answers, like for a medical question you could ask it to take information only from certain qualified medical information and research repositories and summarise the findings for you.
ChatGPT has specific GPTs which are more narrowly trained than the general "ChatGPT" chat starting point. For example, for technical discussions, I use the "Tech Support Advisor". For food and cooking chats, I use "Sous Chef".

Look for such less generalized GPTs under "Explore GPTs".

I asked ChatGPT 4o to explain this:-

The specialized GPT model called "Tech Support Advisor" is typically trained on a wide range of technical documentation, manuals, troubleshooting guides, and user support interactions. This training data includes information about hardware, software, networking, and other technical domains, allowing the model to provide more precise and informed responses to technical queries. Here are some reasons why technical discussions might be better conducted with the "Tech Support Advisor" GPT:
  1. Expertise in Technical Domains: "Tech Support Advisor" is tailored to understand and respond to technical issues with greater depth, leveraging extensive training on relevant materials.
  2. Accurate Troubleshooting: The model is adept at guiding users through troubleshooting steps, identifying common issues, and providing effective solutions based on known patterns and best practices.
  3. Detailed Technical Knowledge: It possesses in-depth knowledge about various technologies, systems, and platforms, enabling it to address specific technical questions with precision.
  4. Efficient Problem-Solving: "Tech Support Advisor" can quickly identify and suggest appropriate actions or configurations, reducing the time and effort required to resolve technical problems.
  5. Contextual Understanding: The specialized training allows the model to understand the context of technical terms and scenarios better, ensuring more relevant and applicable advice.
Overall, using a model like "Tech Support Advisor" for technical discussions ensures that the information provided is accurate, relevant, and specifically tailored to address technical issues, making it an ideal choice for such interactions.

I think it's a bit like Wikipedia used to be. Useful as an overview, do not take any specific points seriously and do your own research from primary sources before you actually use the information for anything. I don't think as an information source it will ever really get much better than that. The source material (the entire internet) has too much jank in it for a system with no comprehension to be able to totally filter it out.

The top result summary used to be at least a little useful - because it was at least summarized from a single source. Maybe that source was wrong, but it was a popular hit for the search and all of the summary came from it. Far less garbage than the current version.

Last edited:
google-gasoline.jpg

Pasta alla Petroliana

Screenshot-20240525-091526-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Who could have guessed Google leaning on AI would result in en****tification?

Last edited:
Who could have forseen that a search engine but worse would be absolutely horrible?

If Google AI says I can gaze at the sun for 15-20 minutes a day, it must be safe. Right?

From what I understand, a lot of these stupid replies come from posts made on Reddit, Quora and anywhere else like that. The glue pizza post came from a child. This AI-assisted search engine is unable to distinguish between good advice and bad advice so... how is it better than a 'basic' search engine that gives you information based on your exact keywords?

From what I understand, a lot of these stupid replies come from posts made on Reddit, Quora and anywhere else like that. The glue pizza post came from a child. This AI-assisted search engine is unable to distinguish between good advice and bad advice so... how is it better than a 'basic' search engine that gives you information based on your exact keywords?
Hard to find a 'basic' search engine these days though. Most of them give you information based vaguely on your keywords and what they think they can advertise to you.

The en****tification is all around us. The internet peaked at least ten years ago.

AI will replace sex within 10 years. Instead of going to all the trouble of hooking up people will just send their AIs to knock virtual boots, thereby removing all the hassle, drama and risk while making the process of increasing ones body count much more efficient.

The techbros need to touch some ****ing grass.

AI will replace sex within 10 years. Instead of going to all the trouble of hooking up people will just send their AIs to knock virtual boots, thereby removing all the hassle, drama and risk while making the process of increasing ones body count much more efficient.

The techbros need to touch some ****ing grass.
My bodycount:

spermlead.jpg

The top result summary used to be at least a little useful - because it was at least summarized from a single source. Maybe that source was wrong, but it was a popular hit for the search and all of the summary came from it. Far less garbage than the current version.
I think the less outright bleak but plausible and still bad eventuality of wide spread use of AI is just mountains and mountains of absolute garbage content. Absolute garbage music, absolute garbage films, absolute garbage research etc just everywhere to the point where finding anything legitimately good will be extremely difficult. Netflix is already halfway there without AI.

I think the less outright bleak but plausible and still bad eventuality of wide spread use of AI is just mountains and mountains of absolute garbage content. Absolute garbage music, absolute garbage films, absolute garbage research etc just everywhere to the point where finding anything legitimately good will be extremely difficult. Netflix is already halfway there without AI.

AI summaries based on AI generated answers

ai-prediction.jpg

The techbros are not alright.

Duh, they'll take up sniffing glue.

These sorts of predictions are always immature and pointless.

I rarely drink anymore but that's more a personal choice than anything else (having spent exactly zero seconds knowingly with a chat-bot). But by the time someone loses their second or third job to "AI", I can understand them taking up any bad habit.

Latest Posts

Back