E-brake started drift....yes or weak?

• Thread starter dking
  • 34 comments
So who here thinks that using ebrake is weak? I thought so until i saw DRIFT BIBLE....i dun think it is weak nemore...now i got to implement it in my driftin although i must say....it is a last resort save move....who uses it and who hates it?

dking
=0) just a curious person with gt passion....i'll stop....maybe :dopey:
Or you'll get banned. 💡
Anyways, it's ok to use the e-brake. Just because you use it doesn't mean that you don't drift "for real".

Hmmmm the only time i would use my e-brake is if am taking a low speed corner such as the hairpins in tsukuba but other than that i dont realy use it.

dking
So who here thinks that using ebrake is weak? I thought so until i saw DRIFT BIBLE....i dun think it is weak nemore...now i got to implement it in my driftin although i must say....it is a last resort save move....who uses it and who hates it?

It think there are two types of ebraking in drifting. There is the one where you use it to initiate the drift (weak version), and the other is where you use it during mid drift (advanced) like the D1 pros do to help with tandum drifting and extending your drifts. Its not as simple as just pulling the ebrake, you have to do it when the drift is beginigng to lose momentum and timing is crucial to have it be effective. I find myself using this for cars that have a difficult time breaking loose their rear tires. Also it is useful when I want to get some exhibition looking drifts online with supersoft tires on stock cars.

Advanced Ebraking Video

Here is a video on advanced ebraking. I choose the stock NSX here because I think it is a good example of a difficult stock car to drift. Its not hard to get the drift started in the stock NSX, but its hard to get the rear tires continue power overing the car all the way through till the exit of the corner (something I like doing).

I mainly use it to extend my drifts but sometimes I need to do a clutch-kick or shift-lock, so I press the e-brake just a tenth of a second and then press hard the accelerator.
I've used that technique in my GTPDC1 video. 1st corner.

I've never liked it. I thinks it's cheap to initiate a drift with E-Brake, but using it to extend a drift is fine. When you start you drift with E-Brake it almost defeats the purpose of such techniques as Feint, Lift Off, Power Over, Brake Entry, and all variations.

IMHO,

< Vin >

I yank the e-brake from time to time If I can't get the drift started, but thats a rare occasion. I've used it on certain corners to cut speed, increase angle, and extend drifts. There's no shame in using it to initiate, but when you become dependant on it to start your drift, then you're only hurting yourself...

in real life? not at all, one of the greatest tool to use in real life. in GT4? i think its weak, its ok when you are a beginner, but i never touched it before.

Droptop_Chick
I yank the e-brake from time to time If I can't get the drift started, but thats a rare occasion. I've used it on certain corners to cut speed, increase angle, and extend drifts. There's no shame in using it to initiate, but when you become dependant on it to start your drift, then you're only hurting yourself...

*Sounds Lame* - What I meant.

I'm tha n00b,

< Vin >

ebrake = extend your already made drifts.

or on courses like trial mountain, because of the very long(at times) drifts, it is quite useful.
but thats just me.

DTC, that is a rockin awesome avatar! Also, I only really use the E-brake when I'm using an underpowered stock car on sports tires (try it....nearly impossible to drift a stock 240sx straight from the used car dealer), or a 4WD car. This is rare though, because I never do either of these things :D

you mean understeer?

and another reason i dont use it is cause its too hard to find when im using DFP on 900*...

Suzuki
you mean understeer?

and another reason i dont use it is cause its too hard to find when im using DFP on 900*...

Thats a good point. To help make it easier I've velcroed my DS2 onto the wheel next to the shifter. And I've mounted the ebrake button in easy reach with my right hand so I can more naturally drive with my left hand and shift / use ebrake with my right hand.

BreakerOhio
Thats a good point. To help make it easier I've velcroed my DS2 onto the wheel next to the shifter. And I've mounted the ebrake button in easy reach with my right hand so I can more naturally drive with my left hand and shift / use ebrake with my right hand.

i made an e-brake lever that hits the button....i have it strapped to my crotch....jp but i think i will adapt that to my wheel too DRift on....

The only times I use the E-brake is on low speed corners and tricky corners, like the one on trial mountian as your comming down the hill, just before the chichane like corners onto the straight. Most of the time its combined with a little bit of weight transfer, so I don't feel bad about doing it ;)

I only use it to extend drifts, compensate for low angle-high speed drifts (hold it for a solid second or two, slows me down a bit and gives me some more angle), and occaisionally if I judge my entry into a hairpin corner wrong I'll use the e-brake. If I can time it right I can usually braking drift into hairpins, even from top speed, but I'm not perfect and sometimes use the e-brake in conjunction with a feint motion to quickly whip around hairpins along the inside of the corner.

I hate FF drifting more than anything. So I don't really *LOVE* the e-brake, but I think any good drifter, in real life or in a videogame, is a fool NOT to use it occaisionally. It can be an essential tool to a good drift. 👍

i use the e-brake in mid-drift to extend i just tap it a couple times, but some-times i use it at the begining of a drift, i pretty much use anything that comes to mind before i hit the corner, i don't care as long as i get a good drift, its not really cheating in real drifting thats the first thing you learn is the e-brake drift or the clutch kick.

E-brake usage for a initiating a drift is definately not weak.

Watch Grip Video Vol. 2 and you'll see Signal's ex-driver Drifter X approach a hairpin turn at over 100 mph SIDEWAYS using the e-brake. And with all that inertia built up from going a 100 and suddenly going sideways, he swiftly sweeps up the turn.

It's all timing when wanting to iniate a long slide into a turn.

I have that volume of GRIP Video. What you fail to realize is where he's driving. At that speed, and that narrow of an area, he picked the safest initiation technique he could. Feinting at that speed and not doing it right, he could've smacked the wall. Like Alex Phiefer did trying to manji down the straight, only about 100 times worse in car damage. Yanking the e-brake with alittle turn-in was the safest way for him to pull off a drift like that. He did manji down most of the straight, but not even close to that kind of speed...

I'm not bashing e-brake, I use it sometimes. But I feel it should be to elabortate your drift instead of start it, it just looks cleaner...

I use the e-brake not all the times, but like the example given by 's0nny80y' it's a great way to enter a difficult corner. I use it to show off but when racing I only use it for hard corners in underpowered cars...
Hmm, I guess I drift more corners than gripping, I just realized... :P

Back