Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Mx²;2724298
even if its a dark shot, the speedo lights and etc should still be visible... right?

No. When you take a photograph of an image on-screen like that, the first thing to go is shadow detail. As mentioned above, we'll have to wait until we see a direct-feed image to see how visible the guages are.

Besides, they ARE visible.. it's just too dark to see. Take the image into a photo editor and jack up the gamma, they're all there. The tachometer is yellow.. too fuzzy to tell exactly what the RPMs are, though.

Though that cockpit view looks stunning IMHO, I hope that picture is somewhat 'chopped' in size...and that the actual in-game view will show the left-side mirror in full view, so if/when someone tries to pass you from the left, you can see it in the mirror first, without and/or before needing to turn and actually "look"...

And get less view of the racing

If you're serious about looking to the mirror, use the d-pad with a DFP.

Will there be SIXAXIS support when driving in-car view? Instead of using the D-Pad and stuff, wouldnt it be cool to just tilt your controller and see left / right? up / down too, i guess? (although not directly, coz then it'd be too shakey to even concentrate on racing / road, it'd be cool to press some button and move around the SIXAXIS for proper look inside of a car..

Also, do you guys think, there'd be Licence Tests and "The Making of GT5" sort of video in this, like they had in GT4:Prologue? Vicky Butler-Henderson, anyone??

Besides, they ARE visible.. it's just too dark to see. Take the image into a photo editor and jack up the gamma, they're all there. The tachometer is yellow.. too fuzzy to tell exactly what the RPMs are, though.
149041brightak2.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/807/807834p1.html
IGN
uly 25, 2007 - The latest issue of Famitsu has a huge blowout on the racing game that's set to make PS3s throughout the world burn later this year, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. In addition to some slick screenshots (which we hope Polyphony will be good enough to release online shortly), the magazine also sat down with producer Kazunori Yamauchi for the full word on the GT5 sampler.

A series of firsts kick off the coverage. We're given a first look at the new cockpit view, which places you in the driver's seat -- a first for the series. In addition to a detailed interior, this view has nice touches like a moving speedometer and odometer and rear/side mirrors that reflect the happenings behind your car. You can use the D-pad to look left and right, although Yamauchi noted that you'll need to have the steering wheel peripheral for this.

Engine sounds are different when driving from the in-the-car perspective. Extra credit work from Polyphony's hard-working development staff? Actually, Yamauchi admitted that the team had recorded these sounds before.

The magazine also offers a first look at the "My Page" interface, which serves as your personalized menu for the game. In addition to icons for Race, Garage, TV, Album, Option, Profile and Home (you'll have to figure out what these do for yourself for now, although some should be obvious), the page has a calendar with upcoming race events marked, a world map with your area of play marked in red, weather readouts for major areas of the world, and a clock.

Yamauchi seems to have high regards for the My Page area. GT5 Prologue has been made with online play in mind, said the producer to Famitsu, and its game style is fundamentally different from other race games. Just as social network users start off at their personal pages when accessing sites like My Space, Polyphony expects GT5 Prologue players to want to start off at their My Page. Sure enough, the game will take you directly to your My Page after start up.

Yamauchi feels that GT5 Prologue offers the feeling of a simple GT Mode, a "Gran Turismo World" in which a large number of players co-exist. Polyphony is working on perfecting the details, from the interiors of cars to town scenery.

That's right, the game will recreate not just your garage, but your area of residence! When you turn off the icons from the My Page screen, you're shown actual pictures from your location of play. Polyphony is assembling scenes from Tokyo and other cities, as well as the inside of buildings and more natural settings.

As you might have guessed from the presence of the Home option on the My Page interface, Polyphony will be adding Home support to the game. The current plan is to give Gran Turismo its own universe within the Home virtual space. Players will be able to jump into GT5 Prologue directly from this space, then jump back by selecting the Home option from the My Page menu.

It seems that GT5 will be replicating some of the Home functionality in game. Polyphony is hoping to implement friend lists in the final version of the game, complete with the kind of features you'd expect to see in a social network. How this will work with the friend list and other community features of Home was not discussed in the interview.

Also sure to contribute to the feeling of community is voice chat. You'll be able to select two forms of online racing, one with the chat features on, the other a more purified arcade experience with the chat features turned off.

Offline, the game will play completely different from GT4 Prologue, in which the single player mode consisted primarily of license tests. Yamauchi says we can expect a game design somewhere between the arcade mode and GT mode of past titles. You earn money from racing, with each race offering a different prize. This money can be used to purchase cars from a car dealer. The tuning shop from a full-fledged GT mode is missing.

The game will feature around 40 cars and 4 courses with 8 layouts, including some locations that have never before been seen in the GT series. Prologue will not feature paid downloadable cars and courses, Yamauchi confirmed.

Yamauchi also made note of some of the technical specs of the game. The final game will run in 1080p, just like last year's demo. This technical feat is, Yamauchi admitted, very difficult, and his team is working hard to make it work.

Famitsu noted that the lighting effects in the Pit Menu screen are particularly impressive, and Yamauchi responded that the game uses a technique called High Dynamic Range Lighting. He believes that this is a technique that cannot be replicated on other systems. He also pointed out that the scenery used in the pit menu is actually an evolved version of the same scene from the GT4 intro. Of course, the scene was pre-rendered footage in GT4, and it's real time here.

Despite the 1080p visuals and the detailed cars, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue's engine is powerful enough to display more cars than we're used to seeing in the racing genre. While the number hasn't been finalized, Polyphony is hoping to have 16 cars on the track during offline races. That number will likely drop to 12 for online races due to possible connection issues.

And the feature-list keeps on growing! Believe it or not, Yamauchi is hoping to include a B Spec mode in the title. In this mode, instead of driving, you stand on the sidelines and issue orders to an AI driver. The team is making use of something similar to the B Spec mode as a means of tuning opponent cars, but it hasn't been decided if the mode will be included with GT5 starting with Prologue.

Gran Turismo fans may be wondering if it's worth picking up GT5 Prologue or just waiting for the final GT5 release. Here's some incentive to make the early jump. Yamauchi confirmed that, at the very least, money that you earn in GT5 Prologue will be available in GT55. Prologue's October release should mean ample time to save up in order to buy a spectacular first car when GT5 comes around some time next year.

me guess we'll have to wait for the scans.

I hope if they release it on PSN it's gonna be simultaneous as it will be hard to get a priced game outside of Japan on the network.

Am I the only one here who wants the PSP version of GT to be released as well?

Me too, but thats only gonna happen when they're done with GT5 :)

(still lame that they made it look that GT4 Mobile was coming out in 2005 :grumpy: )

Well yeah, it was supposed to be launch game for PSP, right?
One of the reasons why I bought my PSP, although I don't regret getting it. There are plenty of good games on it... Ofcourse that doesnt mean I am no longer waiting for GT4:Mobile. I hope it's got online though :P ..

DWA
Umm... you can change views. :rolleyes:

of course there will probably be multiple 'view' options for us to change from/to, such as 'bumper cam', 'roof/hood cam', '3rd person view' (Behind car), but no one knows how many 'view options' there will be for inside the car. For all we know, that one in-car view above might be the ONLY view you get from inside the car.

So, from the stand point of those who are wanting to actually use the in-car cockpit view, like myself, I hope PD was able to include a few different view options, say one option, where like the pic above, both the wheel and hands are shown, but then a 2nd view of just showing the dash, a few gauges and all the mirrors....maybe even the gear shifter if possible.

But if not, then I'm sure I'll do fine with the above ref. in-car view, as for those games that have similar views, I don't really pay attention to the in-game wheel and/or hands anyway.

And get less view of the racing

If you're serious about looking to the mirror, use the d-pad with a DFP.

So, it's ok to have a rear-view mirror, which you can see clearly see and actually use, but when it comes to the left-side mirror, then it's ok to just have a 'partial' view of it and be forced to use a button instead just to do perform a quick 'look'.

Seems to me that with a statement like that, then shouldn't they also get rid of said rear-view mirror then, seeing as you can also hit a button on either the DFP and/or DS2 to look behind you? I mean, if we're going to be serious about racing, let's git rid of as much useless stuff as possible...right?

Besides, it's not like actually being able to get a full left-mirror view would actually reduce the current in-car view there is now anyway!
OH! And seeing as a lot of folks here have always wanted to have a in-car view, then wouldn't it make sense to have BOTH a rear-view mirror and AT LEAST the left-hand mirror...or right-hand mirror if you're driving a right-hand drive car, to improve/expand the overall IMMERSION factor?

Do like the English do in some of the movies and break the mirror off if they are behind you who cares (just kidding I think you should see all mirrors)

You don't see the mirrors properly irl unless you look at them, besides having the camera show all the mirrows in the in car view would require the camera to be positions near the back window. I don't know about you, but I tend to drive from a front seat. Ofcourse, irl we have a wider angle of vision, but our angle of focus isn't higher than what we can see in that shot.

- Prologue falls somewhere in between the GT and Arcade mode. Players can - and "PrGame control features "Normal Mode" based on simulation engine ofessional Mode" based on actual car behavior and physics.

-Yes!:bowdown: finally some indication of what car physics will be like.

+rep

Beautifull game

I'm starting to doubt more and more that this will be a downlaod. The Heavenly sword demo was 1 GB. A game with this size and beauty will most certainly be much more

-> Those images really just oogles me. I can't wait to play the game! Nice upload Scandisk. 👍

~> Whoever can translate it, please do it! We're dying to know whats on that article. :drool:

Just ran Trailer 2 & saw something I hadn't noticed before:

when the camera sweeps up into the "heli" view above the cars roundind the corner at Suzuka, check out the trees: they are totally 2 dimensional, like 2 cardboard cutouts intersecting.

Wow....I haven't posted here in years. But now that I have a PS3 all this GT5:P news is getting me so excited! The graphics are stunning, the interior view looks great, 16 cars on track, and online play, all awesome. I can't wait. And Those Famitsu scans look awesome! There seems to be a new photomode location....can't tell what it is, but it definitely isn't the London location shown in Trailer 1...looks to be a northern European country to me. And that rear view in the Ferrari! WOW! And everyone was worrying about if the gauges would really work, in the R8 interior shot from Famitsu you can clearly see that the speedo and tach meters are fully functional. This looks to be one awesome game!

Beautiful new photos, I must say that those screens are so live and believable, much more than any other game. Good work, Kazunori! :)

Just ran Trailer 2 & saw something I hadn't noticed before:

when the camera sweeps up into the "heli" view above the cars roundind the corner at Suzuka, check out the trees: they are totally 2 dimensional, like 2 cardboard cutouts intersecting.
I read some people talked about this too (not sure where). Some say PD may be focusing on cars rather than environment. Since we don't race with heli view, so from our perspective during the race, the trees are okay in appearance ;)

Now the Famitsu scans!!! OMG :drool: Did they crossover a Ferrari with real environment? or maybe rendered environment? Both F430 and SL55 looks too real for video games :scared:

For the dash display, now we are clear it was a shader from previous cockpit capture from response.jp. I guess it doesn't light up during daytime. R8 cockpit view is just as sweet as F430 one.

I can see some new cars too: Swift and Copen 👍 That's great! However I see lots of one make race going on there, does it have something to do with PS3 power? I hope not!

Now I want both PS3 and GT5P so bad

Back