F1 2010F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter MS7XWDC
  • 2,099 comments
i didn't think so. dirt 2 didn't have any nor did dirt 1. grid did tho but i think f1 2010 will be a good package from the getgo.

I just think it would be great if you could trundle around trying to get the teams' attention in the first place. It would be great as a tutorial mode.

Yeah that sounds pretty good. On the other hand I never especially liked the Polyphony style hoop-jumping required to advance at all. I dont mind easing into a games full potential, but Polyphony creates certain challenges here and there which are totally pre programmed to be time sponges. I remember in the Tourist Trophy game there was ONE challenge that required you to bang your head against it over and over again. Just totally stupid. Then suddenly, you would pass, having done nothing different. Polyphony does that to you sometimes. I dont know why.

Added: it was the TZ250 @ Tsukuba (sp?) That stinking challenge was specifically designed and programmed to scar your gray matter.

Last edited:
You know, watching some of the racing in the feeder series, it's a shame Codemasters couldn't include GP2 and GP3 in this game. Would have produced some good racing as a way to introduce you to the game and maybe attract some attention ahead of the actual career game. It would certainly be funny (to me, at least) if you were just racing in a field of thirty anonymous GP3 cars an didn't actually get to enter your name until you joined a Formula 1 team ...

I totally agree! I love the idea of trying to attract the attention of F1 teams while honing my skills and winning races in less capable cars....

Mmmm, I was hoping the Spa pole position starting in wrong side would be fixed later on.

No DLC as Codies are already focused on ideas for F1 2011. However, I also heard from their producer that an update for 2010 is a maybe (if required), so don't write off patches just because there will not be DLC. Pole position switch should be an easy enough fix :)

Codemasters can be forgiven for some of those things - namely the damage and spin options. They have to appeal to the hardcore and casual gamer alike. But it definitely sounds like a game that you have to master over time. I hate it when you can jump into a game and instantly be competitive. I stopped playing GT4 when I was winning races by ten seconds without breaking a sweat. At the end, I had a perfect track record - 100% win rate - in both GT2 and GT4.

I wonder if I can finally be competitive at that sodding Catalunyan track? Hopefully. Never that good at Silverstone either.

That does sound positive, very much so, which coming from the most realistic gaming experience in iRacing, is pretty good.

Wow thats definately a positive sign that an iRacing driver doesnt think this is at all arcadey.
That means the physics are nothing like every other CM game! :D
I'm now stupidly looking forward to this! November should be interesting, GT5 ir F1 to play? Cant wait for the choice!!
Its been so many years since PS3 owners had a decent new racing game, now we get 2? 👍

Wow thats definately a positive sign that an iRacing driver doesnt think this is at all arcadey.
That means the physics are nothing like every other CM game! :D
I'm now stupidly looking forward to this! November should be interesting, GT5 ir F1 to play? Cant wait for the choice!!
Its been so many years since PS3 owners had a decent new racing game, now we get 2? 👍

WRC 2010 Oct 8th WE GET 3!!!!! lol

The guy in the interview is an idiot.

"You can only really lose about 4 ot 5 tenths in setup"

He obviously has no idea what F1 (or racing) is about, and therefore no passion for it. To me, he's just given me one huge reason to believe this game will not be any good. Setup is everything in motor racing. It could be less than a tenth of a second between pole and second or third - he's a douche.

Unless you're a red bull. Only works at Spain, Hungary, Korea and japan. Those races will be a challenge in championship. Also how realistic will this be. Will kubica have complete balls at street circuits, will vettel crash a lot , will sauber be able to finish races and will force India constantly make mistakes. If we get good answers in them questions we will have a realistic game.

The guy in the interview is an idiot.

"You can only really lose about 4 ot 5 tenths in setup"

He obviously has no idea what F1 (or racing) is about, and therefore no passion for it. To me, he's just given me one huge reason to believe this game will not be any good. Setup is everything in motor racing. It could be less than a tenth of a second between pole and second or third - he's a douche.
Actually, you're the one who has no idea.

When teams arrive at a venue, they already know what the basic setup will be. Their simulators are so good that they can generally run a couple of laps in it, get some setup data from it, show up at the circuit and throw down a lap time that is fairly reasonable almost straight away. And the game has been designed to reflect that - it's going to be impossible to run a Monaco setup on Monza or vice versa. You'll be able to fine-tune the setup to get more out of your car. It was done this way to make it more accessible, so that casual gamers can be competitive without an intimate knowledge in racing car physics, and to stop people from finding the one setup that will allow them to dominate the competition. When he says that you can squeeze an extra few tenths of a second out of your car, he doesn't mean you'll have it over the grid - just that you'll be faster than you might normally be. The rest of the grid will no doubt be just as good. The difference between pole and second place cane be a tenth of a second, even after you've gotten that little bit extra out of your car. The game was, after all, developed with the help of Anthony Davidson, a former Formula 1 driver himself. He pretty much acted as consultant on each ad every aspect of the game to make it as authentic as possible.

Actually, you're the one who has no idea.

When teams arrive at a venue, they already know what the basic setup will be. Their simulators are so good that they can generally run a couple of laps in it, get some setup data from it, show up at the circuit and throw down a lap time that is fairly reasonable almost straight away. And the game has been designed to reflect that - it's going to be impossible to run a Monaco setup on Monza or vice versa. You'll be able to fine-tune the setup to get more out of your car. It was done this way to make it more accessible, so that casual gamers can be competitive without an intimate knowledge in racing car physics, and to stop people from finding the one setup that will allow them to dominate the competition. When he says that you can squeeze an extra few tenths of a second out of your car, he doesn't mean you'll have it over the grid - just that you'll be faster than you might normally be. The rest of the grid will no doubt be just as good. The difference between pole and second place cane be a tenth of a second, even after you've gotten that little bit extra out of your car. The game was, after all, developed with the help of Anthony Davidson, a former Formula 1 driver himself. He pretty much acted as consultant on each ad every aspect of the game to make it as authentic as possible.

Cool. I totally understood what you said from the video, but I wasn't actually criticising the game. I just don't know how anyone who has any passion or care for motor racing can say the sentence that I quoted above (from the video).

I just don't know how anyone who has any passion or care for motor racing can say the sentence that I quoted above (from the video).
Remember, Codemasters has to appeal to the casual gamer just as much as they do the hardcore.

He obviously has no idea what F1 (or racing) is about, and therefore no passion for it.
Yep. Anthony Davidson with multiple years of F1 race and test driving experience with a few attempts at the Le Mans 24 Hours has absolutely no idea about racing or any passion for it whatsoever.

Yep. Anthony Davidson with multiple years of F1 race and test driving experience with a few attempts at the Le Mans 24 Hours has absolutely no idea about racing or any passion for it whatsoever.

I was thinking the same thing:crazy:

Cool. I totally understood what you said from the video, but I wasn't actually criticising the game. I just don't know how anyone who has any passion or care for motor racing can say the sentence that I quoted above (from the video).

You took it completely out of context. He even says in the video that they go to a GP with a decent set-up for that track due to simulators, experience, etc.

Watching some of the videos, I have to wonder about something ... the AI seems to be programmed based on the car with the driver personality as a secondary consideration. The digital version of Vitaly Petrov seems to be constantly at the front.
About career ... will you be racing full lapes or only 10% or something?

Im considering racing full lapes.
Full races. And full practice and qualifyin sessions.

Watching some of the videos, I have to wonder about something ... the AI seems to be programmed based on the car with the driver personality as a secondary consideration. The digital version of Vitaly Petrov seems to be constantly at the front.

If true, thats very lame, even F1:CE had it so that Villenueve was miles behind Heidfeld, Ide was always super slow compared to Sato who regularly challenged the back of the pack.

If true, thats very lame, even F1:CE had it so that Villenueve was miles behind Heidfeld, Ide was always super slow compared to Sato who regularly challenged the back of the pack.
Well, Petrov seems to be the only anomaly we've seen - and that's largely because the bulk of gameplay videos that have been released have concentrated on the front end of the grid. I'm thinking about the Spa ones in particular here; Petrov seems to be up the front. He is the only driver who could possibly be out of sequence given that the difference between his performance and the car's performance is probably the greatest on the grid. However, the gameplay videos of Korea (particularly the Renault one) and of Abu Dhabi seem to show him in the mid-pack. So I could be wrong. But right now it seems that a car's performance is relative to the circuit it's on, with driver traits influencing how that driver behaves (based on what we've seen so far this year, Petrov seems to be a wicked defender). It's probably easier to program AI this way because it simply requires one model - the car - with minor variations to represent the driver (for example, Hamilton is excellent in the wet, Button can think ahead to make strategy calls). To program individual drivers, you'd probably have to have an entity to represent the car's performance and a separate one to represent the driver's and then marry them. It would require twice the work. But like I said, Vitaly Petrov is the only one who can really be out of sequence. Nico Hulkenberg and Rubens Barrichello may be another, but Hulkenberg seems to have found his sweet spot of late (even if his races are still seeded with stupid mistakes). Even when you've got a line-up like Glock and di Grassi, the difference is negated by external factors.

Be careful in how much practice you do though because you only have 8 engines for the season as in real life.

Exactly! I'll do practices and qualifyings but I won't race all of the time when practice is on.

Im so excited about this game.
a045.gif

Back