GT5 in 3D

• Thread starter DC9990
  • 221 comments
To those of you who don't own a 3D TV :

I took the 3D screens from the Digital Foundry analysis and converted them to an anaglyph shot. It's a nice preview if you have some blue-cyan glasses lying around, but no 3D TV.

gt5anaglyph.jpg

Got myself a 57 inch samsung 3d tv also. I think the 3d settings are too damn hard to understand. I'll try the samples posted here to see if I get better results. But I have to fiddle a lot but don't know what the hell I'm doing. When I get the races looking right...the video or demo video looks off. Especially the engine spinning video, it gets me all crossed eyed.

Also, I've mention this a long time ago...but when I set the game to 3d, and I switch back to my 2d TV...the game does not revert back to 2d. I'd have to boot it up on the 3d tv, switch to 2d and come back to play on the 2d TV.

I have my ps3 hooked up to 2 TVs, one in the living room 3d, and one in bedroom that is just 2d. Pretty damn annoying that I can't swap TV easily.

Bump up this track as wish to find out any bro here use the 3d mode or really all are anti 3 d hence do not wish to discuss more.
Seems like 3d may give a more immersing experience if using panasonic display. Can bro who use 3d projector n enjoying gt5 in 3d post your experience? Tks.

I love GT5 in 3D, absolutely stunning!! In provides a much more immersive expierence, take that Forza and need for speed!! Ahaha....anyway, i have a LG 3D tv, and i changed the default settings(which wasn't very good), and gave it more depth, giving it it's true effect, however i fiddled around with it, and was not able to get the blur out, especially on the cockpit view, which was my favourite part, even with 3D, i kept getting two needles showing on the speedo, and the speedometer itself was overlapping. Its probably my 3D tv, but no blur occurs worth less depth(were it's less immersive), and that really sucks.

The reason you are getting that seperation is probably because when increasing the depth of the 3D, the seperate images are seperated further and further apart. The further arpart thing are, the more your eyes would determine them to be at different distances.

At a point the images get so seperate your eyes and brain can no longer be fooled and they clearly become two images.

This happens sometimes in 3D movies when things fly at the screen... they get bigger and bigger adn then at some point suddenly seperate into obviously distinct images for each eye.

Hi pal if play an hour in 3d will u all experience giddy? Will the 3d spec cause discomfort? Graphic wise is it worst off than 2d? Tks for sharing

The blurring of distant objects you mentioned is a phenomanon called cross talk. It exists because the LCD screen isnt quite fast enough so the left and right eye still see a very small amount of each others image. This is not a problem in plasma 3d tvs as they are alot faster than their LCD counterparts. But also alot more expensive and power consuming.

I have a samsung 3D LED backlight LCD TV and I play GT5 almost exclusively in 3d and it is amazing. Driving feels so much more natural and it is so much easier to pick braking points ect. Looking forward to building a new gaming pc in the future so that I can enjoy all my favourite FPS and strategy games in 3d also.

~~EDIT~~
Davendander you explination is partially correct. It is not a case of your brain not being able to be fooled though, It is just that bits of the last frame are still displaying at the wrong time. As I pointed out, Google crosstalk in relation to 3d TV's and you will find lots of information on it.

The default settings are pretty weak. I use

Convergence - .68
Parallax -10

If I just use bumper cam, I can max out both settings and it looks pretty incredible. If it werent for the downgrade to 720p then I would always use 3d.

Nice hard-to-read blue text! I said it before in another thread: I thought the 3D in GT5 is terrible, with only "Pain" (PSN) being worse. The intro movie looks fantastic, but while playing the game it feels real flat with very little dimension in any view... a lot of headache and expense for very little effect. With the 3D on and the glasses off you could barely even see the blur. I had no idea you could adjust any of it, but you shouldn't have to in my opinion.

In contrast, Motorstorm Pacific Rift looked fantastic in 3D, lots of depth and neat 3D special effects like water on the camera when you drive through a waterfall. I also played NBA2K11 in 3D, that was meh.

I have a 63" Samsung Plasma 3D and although GT5 looks amazing in 3D I prefer to play 2D on my Sony 55" HDTV downstairs. I love watching 3D movies but I haven't given GT5 that much 3D time.

One rule of thumb to keep in mind while watching or playing games in 3D is to be at least 3 times the screen distance away. Example, 55" TV stay back at least 165".

Why left?

I play with my wheel attached to the same surface my 46 inch tv is on and it is amazingly immersive.

Sitting any closer to 3D video will make you go cross eyed, that's why 3D TV manufacturers recommend you sit no closer then 3 times the screen size. I am talking about 3D video, not regular tv or HD tv.

Hmmm 3D, I was really debating going with a 3D TV last weekend when my old 42" plasma died but i could find a good LCD 3D for under $1000 for the size i wanted. I wanted at least a 46" so i finally ended up with a 47" LCD Vizio E Series. I wish it was 3D but the LCD is a totally different experience than the plasma i had. Its 100 times better IMO.

I going to wait when 3Dtv without glasses comes out, I think Sony are work on that. And Nintendo 3DS has 3D screen without glasses so it is possible

i have spent a lot of time testing out and researching the gt5 3d feature on my 3dtv panasonic vt20 plasma. and here are my findings:

settings:
3d feature works really well if you get the settings right,
use 3d strength =9
convergence =6
increase contrast and brightness of your tv screen by 50%.

cockpit view:
do not use the cockpit view, although there is no cross talk at all on my pana plasma, using the cockpit view i get headaches quickly, this is due to my eyes having to converge more to see the contrasting depth of the cockpit coming out of the screen and the background going into the distance, having your eyes converge like this for long period of time will give you headaches. unlike 3d movies where the coming out of screen effects only comes once in a while.

3d glasses affecting accuracy of face recognition:
although in arcade mode and practice mode in 3d, you can use the headtracking with the ps3 eye, the accuracy of the tracking is dramatically reduced due to your 3d glasses covering your eyes. the tracking technology used in gt5 is called face recognition, but when your eyes are covered by the black lcd glasses, the ps3 eye struggles to recognise your face. so my recommendation is not to use the ps3eye when using the 3d function and vice versa (note that head tracking only works in cockpit view and as i mentioned this gives you headaches when seen in 3d, so that is another good reason not to use both these features at the same time).

headtracking:
this is especially useful when playing rally racing or drifting tracks where the direction of you head and the front of your car are not always parallel, ie. you want to face the direction you are sliding. headtracking is also useful in racecars where the windscreen view is quite limited due to the livery and rollcage, this is where moving your head around to see through the gaps is useful.

other advantages:
other advantages of headtracking mode over 3d mode is that you can play it at 1080p plus use IFS to increase framerate to give an overall better picture quality than the 720p 3d mode.

general use:
most of gt5 does not allow for the use of the ps3 eye anyway, so in those instances i use the 3d function, but when i play arcade mode i use the ps3 eye headtracking with the cockpit view.

conclusion:
use 3d mode with bumper cam for all gt events and online
use 2d mode with cockpit view with ps3eye headtracking for arcade and practice especially when using race cars, rally races, and drifting.

Can u all try something and tell me if it makes any difference. I've set all image options to off in the PS3 Settings.. Then try any parallax and convergence settings..

I just received my 3D tv and after messing around with the settings I have found what works for me: 3 parallax and .90 convergence, used with cockpit view and Panasonic GT30 tv. It really is hard to put into words but it adds so much to the experience. SPA is stunning in 3D, approaching Eau Rouge, you can see this amazing bend as it climbs up hill, depth to it all. I do WRS a lot and I'm undecided if I will use 3D with that, I will have to experiment with it. What is really great about it though, is that it makes the picture look like it's going into the tv, not popping out at you. The dashboard is deep, cars in front of you take shape more, I can read apexes better. It's just cool, and personally, I think it's not gimmicky. I felt like I was really sitting in a Zonda R flying through Eau Rouge. For me, this is another one of those experiences where I say, "This is why I love Gran Turismo." This what I will use when I want to show family and friends 3D.

The best part of 3D tv, is that you can play with two players, both on one entire screen (with half the resolution/refresh rate).

I played 3D GT5 on a TV store, with real cockpit and wheel and thought it sucks badly. For me, it was mainly just two dephts, my car was close to me, all the rest equally distant: be it the car I was tailing or the far end of the straight I was on. Not really good depth of field sense.

RodrigoDLL
I played 3D GT5 on a TV store, with real cockpit and wheel and thought it sucks badly. For me, it was mainly just two dephts, my car was close to me, all the rest equally distant: be it the car I was tailing or the far end of the straight I was on. Not really good depth of field sense.

It's really all about the in-game 3D settings and I'm sure to a certain extent the tv as well. The default settings aren't very good. I have enjoyed racing online with it so much since I got my tv.

I've played in 3D from time to time, and in general like the experience. The inclusion of a blacked out interior view for standard cars added a little. I thought the rear view image in the mirrors (Audi A4 DTM, awesome mirrors btw) even had depth. The cars were right up on you when looking to the side. In 3D the track seems to shrink, as things take up actual space. Sitting way down low in an open cockpit car makes traffic in front become a bigger sight obstacle.

I think 1080p @30 frames in 3D would look excellent. The use of 720p creates edges that make it obvious it's not real. For some games (cough: F1 2011) 720p is the best it gets 2D. Maybe the next gen. systems in 5+ years will run 1080p-30.

Last edited:
Have enjoyed the 3d-experience very much.
It makes it easier to see bumps, camber in corners and judging distance between cars.
Now, on my Sony KDL37 EX720 i have hardly any crosstalk in any mode but cockpit...And I love driving in cockpit view...
Even in karts(100cc jr. for example) the crosstalk really gets bad in cockpit view making all competing karts look 'ghostly'/xtalk
I know my tv isn't the best but the contrast between bumper view(no xtalk) and cockpit(a lot of xtalk) is really a shame. Even owners of the most expensive 3d tv's complain about this I read on internet.
Yamauchi said in a recent interview he wasn't happy with the 'state of 3d' at the moment. I'd say it's already good enough to be functional and fun(just not in cockpit...)
Just saying...would love to know if Yamauch could respond to what is causing the problems in cockpit view and when watching most of the intro/demo-movies. Would he be able to improve the situation or would he say it's impossible? And Why?

polite bump,

just hoping someone will twitter mr. Yamauchi about the cockpit 3d view problem(or the crosstalk differences between various views)

It seems some games adjust settings based upon the 3d screen size in the ps3 display settings(like Uncharted I hear)

Maybe he could make this parameter a variable in gt5?

hmmm, really don't want to join twitter...

Who will help us 3d enthousiasts?

Has Uncharted 3D support?

I need some good 3D games. I cant forget the helicopter scene in Avatar 3D. As I´ve seen that in the cinema, I was only thinking that it must be totally freaking awesome when you have this in games.

I heared Killzone has the best 3D effects on the PS3.

Back