eiriksmil's cars

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 378 comments
Thanks man! I like em low but tasteful and driveable.. :)

You still have way too many cars :lol: So which do you actually use every day at the moment?

There's no such thing as too many cars
biggrin.gif
I've had consistent progress on my cars the last year, doing what I intend to do with em and then it's not too many. The Mk2 is happy, I fixed its faulty wipers, gonna clean it when spring comes. That car doesn't need a thing. The GTti is getting happy. The red Mk3 is happy, I have to raise it for inspection and fit a mirror.. The white Mk3 is borrowed out to a buddy that needed a car for a while. I think it's happy. The white Charade is the only one that's not happy.. It needs a ball joint and a wee bit of welding, but I'll get to it when the GTti is done.. :)

The Yaris (Funcargo) is the trusted daily.. :) But the subway takes me to work.

Got a little done yesterday, had thick oil in the rear wheel wells ready for undercoating and stole the rear bumper off the red car.. All good until I get my hands on a US bumper..

IMAG0338.jpg

Carpets are in.. The red Charade had a very clean front carpet, amazingly as the rest of the car is rather beat. Mixed that with the GTti rear carpet, vacuumed them and it's suddenly looking better. If a little dusty.. Still some bits and pieces to fit but nothing major or time consuming..

IMG008-2-3_zpsebe05dc8.jpg

IMG011-3_zpseacb7cd0.jpg

A better (?) pic of the rear bumper mounted..
IMG013-2-4_zpsdbbdb6db.jpg

A little less ricey than it was upon collection (those tails were spray painted black..)
IMAG0247.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working quite a lot lately and have taken some time off from this car.. Some work done though.

Got the rear glass out and the rear spoiler off.. I have a black one that's going on together with good rear glass.. :)
IMG001-2.jpg

But I'm on the fence as to whether I'm moving closer to completion or the opposite :D
IMG003-2-2.jpg

A few more parts and the interior is done.. :) Remember none of the interior was fitted and everything were in pieces when I picked it up.
IMG005-2-2.jpg

I've bought a set of BBS Mahle RAs I might throw on this car.. :) And picked up my new GReddy Trust air filter today..

Put in quite a few hours on the GTti today.. Undercoated the front wheel wells, bolted in stock suspension up front ready for state inspection and got the front end on.

From this, about when I had lunch today
IMAG0526.jpg

To this in a couple of hours
IMG003-2-3.jpg

Got my IC piping, got it mounted together with the chromed strut bar.

IMG_3352.jpg

Swapped suspension to stock so I can get this car approved.. It's soon ready and that excites me. New plug leads came in the other day.. I'd like to get the valve cover polished, but it's not a first priority. Engine bay is cleaning up nicely either way.

Also got my red Mk3 out of storage, it's on steel wheels, raised for state approval and the battery's dead. I'm not really motivated with this thing..
IMG_3347.jpg

But the white Mk3 got very low again today.. Luckily I brought some 2x4 blocks with me, managed to just get into my parking lot.. :D I need to seriously clean and clay this car one day.
IMG_3379.jpg

A Charade GTti is certainly a car worthy of being saved.
Hats off to you sir.
Well done.
I'd never even heard of them when a guy I was working with had to get the both of us to a meeting in a short space of time 18 years ago.....
"We'll take the pocket rocket" he said....
"We'll make it OK in that"

And so I came to realise how a Daihatsu should not be underestimated.....

Please fully complete it, and then keep it.

I haven't actually seen one in the flesh in a very, very long time.

:irked:👍

Cheers mate..!

Underestimated, absolutely. Note I have removed all signs of it being a GTti, it basically looks like granmas car with a fart can on it :) The past years there's been some development of more tuneable ECUs for these cars. I'd like to get my hands on one, with a good map you can run upwards of 200bhp on stock turbo and internals..

Got most of the interior mounted up yesterday, did an oil change and swapped the old plugs for a new set. Polished my intake and mocked up the air filter.
IMAG0599.jpg

Still some to do but it's getting there.. :)

It's been a pretty intense week, trying to get the car to a show on Saturday. Summary of the last few days..

Has the first test drive on Monday. Figured the alternator didn't charge.
Removed the alternator on Tuesday and started removing glue from the old side skirts.
Had the alternator rebuilt yesterday, got it in and confirmed it was good last night. Started sanding for primer
Today my buddy finished priming where I need to paint. Mounted a stock textured spoiler, boost gauge, bits and pieces of interior, seat belts and more..

Ended the day with a quick test drive. Head gasket blew, car is not ready for Saturday.. :D Gotta dig into it when I have time.

Since the GTti wasn't good to go I brought my white G10 down to the show instead.. A picture from Saturday
9232607998_45542aaef3_b.jpg

Oh and we opened up the GTti engine today.. Now I understand why all the coolant mixed with the oil in a minute.. :)
IMAG0631.jpg

No, the freeze plug will pop up if the coolant/water freezes to not damage the head. Apparently it did freeze sometime so the plug came up when I hit boost in 3rd gear. Got the plug down again and threw everything together. Went on vacation to Cyprus for three weeks, so nothing has happened to the GTti lately.

Upon arrival in Cyprus I realized my Mitsubishi Colt there looked like ****, I was tired of the smashed fender and now the bumper was hanging too. Someone hit it while it was parked I guess..
IMG_3725.jpg

So I went yarding and ended up with this
IMG_3764.jpg

But I wanted it one color.. The roof skin on these Colts/Mirages separates from the bracing over age because the glue starts slipping, you get moisture and then rust eventually. So the paint wasn't exactly mint together with clear coat damage on the hood and the roof. I bought a couple cans and went to work:
IMG_3821.jpg

And the finished product
IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

Painted the trim black and the red trim pieces inside it primer red to match the car.. Didn't get all of it done but I'll sort it next time..

Went back to Norway, collected my Rotiforms and had em on the Funcargo the same day..
IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

Gotta lower it a bit more out back but I think it turned out pretty well ;) Now to finish that turbo car..

Connected the speedo and mounted some trim pieces on the Charade yesterday, no photos. New shots of the daily thought, still getting sort of sidetracked with it :)

9542456183_e71d322b74_b.jpg

9542458053_3dbc66c7b7_b.jpg

9545247012_81423acccc_b.jpg

9545248044_681d5b3338_b.jpg

Dude you change cars as often as socks, wtf. Last time I saw this thread none of the cars in it now were present. Granted, it's been a long time, but come on, all the cars?

Thanks man, appreciate it :)

Dude you change cars as often as socks, wtf. Last time I saw this thread none of the cars in it now were present. Granted, it's been a long time, but come on, all the cars?

The Funcargo I've had for three years, the red Golf for even longer.. The blue car has been in my ownership for nearly two years (driven it less than ten times ever lol).. But yes, I think I've had something like 25 cars in 5 years :)

Got a little drive with the turbo Charade last weekend.. The exhaust decided to come off but I got it sorted.. Sort of. Gotta look into it, but car feels pretty good now. Damn tiny next to my buddy's S80 on 20s (and his fathers rather immaculate 262 Bertone):
1262574_10151662675292746_1594467860_o.jpg

Oh.. And oh hai :) :)
IMG_3916.jpg

Quick facts, 1959 Beetle, 40k miles, all original, no rust or major imperfections. Drove this bad boy home on Friday :)

Thanks man..! Grandpa bought this car in the seventies and owned it up until now, he'll be happy to hear.. :)

Out driving this one of the last times at this height I guess
9771940575_ca5015df6e_b.jpg

Did I mention it's completely useless.. :)

Latest Posts

Back