GTR/GTR2 vs Grand Tourismo

waterpoloinc

(Banned)
CollinBraun
CollinBraun
I am a huge fan of GT and have played all of them. But i must admit that for such a highclass game there is not that much inovation. I mean Gt5 will not be compareble to Forza 2 anymore since it will not be released for a long time and forza 2 is out there now for a while. But i dont think they have to compeate anyway. Forza is still young and doing quite ok for that. GT is a classic and has to owm up to very high expectations. I am a pationate player of the GTR and GTR2 games and must say they beat GT in every aspect possible. And i dont understand WHY. 10 tacle and SIMBIN had e a tiny budget compared to what polyphony well sony has. Day Night mode, Lights on the cars, rain and fog and many more things were realized by that small company in less time than polyphony does in a not as good GT. Ofcourse GTR is helped greatly by its growing comunety who mod and skin so that there are new things every day.
I just think for the time invested into GT we all could expect a game with more soul. Everybody who has everbeen lets say at the nuerburgring nordschleife and has seen the flair and fans there and than played GT4 will know what i mean.
THX for reading and hopefully comenting

GTR series is great, i play them myself :)
but its on the PC and GT series is on PS1 and PS2... the reason there is not night day cycles or weather in GT is because its much, a lot harder to develop a game for a console. everything is really limited. and everything has to be working perfectly for that console specs... for PC there are no limits. they can have more memory, larger data.. etc... so here is your anwser.. but i feel like sometimes GTR is not as real as it could be and some aspects of GRAN turismo are little better.

but dont worry, i seen a interview and the creator will include day and night cylce in GT5.. maybe even as early as a patch for PROLOGUE :) and damage will be included as a patch as well but for the GT5 version.. :) so remeber making games for consoles is really hard. and GTR 1 and 2 is not as realistic as you might think in terms of handling.. or drifting ;)

i dont neccesarely mean that GTR is more realistic but i just downloaded the new norschleife for GTR2 and there is flair feeling and spectators. It all seams alife. Alot of times i feel like gt is lifeless. And i thought that the PS3 is better than most PC but i guess its good to know that it is not. ;)

i dont neccesarely mean that GTR is more realistic but i just downloaded the new norschleife for GTR2 and there is flair feeling and spectators. It all seams alife. Alot of times i feel like gt is lifeless. And i thought that the PS3 is better than most PC but i guess its good to know that it is not. ;)

yeh of course.. GT4 is old as norschleife itself ;) haha and its on a old console..

and yeh i downloaded the track on rFactor.. the 2.0 its really really good, u feel every bump on the G25.. makes u feel like u there :)

of course.. nothing can compare to power of PC... not even a PS3 lol
but PS3 can calculate about 20 times faster then an average todays PC.. just to let you know..

oh and i really hope they updated GT5 game with this track.. few turns and twists kinda changed.

Your record seems to be broken

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94894

You're going over the same stuff again.

Alright Collin ;) haven't seen you in a while.

I am a huge fan of GT and have played all of them. But i must admit that for such a highclass game there is not that much inovation. I mean Gt5 will not be compareble to Forza 2 anymore since it will not be released for a long time and forza 2 is out there now for a while. But i dont think they have to compeate anyway. Forza is still young and doing quite ok for that. GT is a classic and has to owm up to very high expectations.

GT has too high expectations, mainly because people all have difference prefferences but expect Gran Turismo to cover all of them. Comparing GT to forza is about as fair as the comparisons get, but since they are on differnt consoles its pretty pointless.

I am a pationate player of the GTR and GTR2 games and must say they beat GT in every aspect possible.

Stop right there. Not true at all. GTR and GTR2 beats gran turismo in many area. Gran Turismo beats GTR in many areas. Both of my statements are true. Since you appear to be convinced on what areas of GTR beats there is no point in me reminding you. However I shall bring a few areas in which Gran Turismo beats GTR. More cars. Photomode. Better graphics. Greater range of cars, from kei-cars to fully blown Le Mans cars. Better graphics. More diverse range of tornaments, More modification options, Licence tests. Rallying. You get the picture.

Now I am not saying these features are the best, but lets be honest they are area in which Gran Turismo beats GTR. YOu probably don't care about these areas, I myself don't car about photomode, but many people do. Which leads me to my next point. GTR is a focused simulator much like Live for Speed. The physics in these game are exceptional, much better than gran Turismo, but why would this surprise you?

Gran Turismo is a big seller, it is a console sim, but simulators on console games tend to be mainstream rather than hardcore simulators. Gran Turismo is a game that everyone can play, its easy to drive, its fun to play and it apeals to loads of peoples tastes. Some people like it because its more realistic than other console games. Some like it because they are car enthusiast who enjoy driving loads of cars. Some people like it because it has some of the best game graphics there are around.

Now lest look at who GTR appeals to. GTR primarily is a hardcore PC sim rather than a mainstream console sim. For this reason GTR focuses on absolute realism, GTR isn't meant to appeal to people who like things like photomode, GTR is meant to appeal to people who like extremely realistic physics even if it is too hard for the average gamer. I love GTR, I enjoy the high difficulty. I love the race weekends, practice session, qualifying and the races themselves even have parade laps. Ultimately GTR is far more realistic than Gran Turismo, but that doesn't make it a better game, which game is better resides in the preffereence of the user. As a general rule, I would say GTR is more realistic and fun in a challenging way. Gran Turismo has a better range of choice and fun in a casual way.

I have both games and play them for different reasons. I like both games for different reasons, I don't want Gran Turismo to become a hardcore sim, thats why I am not too bothered about the physics of Gran turismo. I don't want GTR to become a fun console sim, thats why I am not bothered that there are only a few cars in GTR.

And i dont understand WHY. 10 tacle and SIMBIN hade a tiny budget compared to what polyphony well sony has. Day Night mode, Lights on the cars, rain and fog and many more things were realized by that small company in less time than polyphony realizes a not as good GT.

This is because GTR is a hardcore sim and that is why it trounces Gran Turismo in these areas, regardless of budget. Polyphoney Digital spend there money and time in other areas. If you want to see GTR realism in Gran Turismo I suggest you give up on Gran Turismo altogether because it is not gonig to happen.

Ofcourse GTR is helped greatly by its growing comunety who mod and skin so that there are new things every day.

The reason you can do this is because of the internet. This should now be possible to some extent in GT5 because GT5 will have internet access.

I just think for the time invested into GT we all could expect a game with more soul. Everybody who has everbeen lets say at the nuerburgring nordschleife and has seen the flair and fans there and than played GT4 will know what i mean.

Your right. Tracks in GT4 felt dead without spectators. GT5 promises to have more cars on track and if the demo is anything to go by spectators. I do expect GT5 to be more lively than GT4, if it doesn't I will be dissapointed.

THX for reading and hopefully comenting

no problem, I hope you take on board my main point; Gran Turismo will not be like GTR, I would suggest getting both games. But if absolute realism is your onyl goal in a racing game then stick to GTR.

hmm ill say GT5 will be more sim then ever. and it might take GTR down :)
just wait for the full release of GT5 and lets see how racing cars handle.

GTR series is great, i play them myself :)
but its on the PC and GT series is on PS1 and PS2... the reason there is not night day cycles or weather in GT is because its much, a lot harder to develop a game for a console. everything is really limited. and everything has to be working perfectly for that console specs... for PC there are no limits. they can have more memory, larger data.. etc... so here is your anwser.. but i feel like sometimes GTR is not as real as it could be and some aspects of GRAN turismo are little better.

but dont worry, i seen a interview and the creator will include day and night cylce in GT5.. maybe even as early as a patch for PROLOGUE :) and damage will be included as a patch as well but for the GT5 version.. :) so remeber making games for consoles is really hard. and GTR 1 and 2 is not as realistic as you might think in terms of handling.. or drifting ;)

That video link is dead......

However I shall bring a few areas in which Gran Turismo beats GTR. More cars. Photomode. Better graphics. Greater range of cars, from kei-cars to fully blown Le Mans cars. Better graphics. More diverse range of tornaments, More modification options, Licence tests. Rallying. You get the picture.
The rest of that is fine, but if you think GT4 has better graphics then you must have never noticed that your graphics settings in GTR are set to "Very Low."

The rest of that is fine, but if you think GT4 has better graphics then you must have never noticed that your graphics settings in GTR are set to "Very Low."

I am talking in terms of GT5, and no my GTR graphics are set to full.

Sorry if I created confusion.

Why are we comparing the 2? The only thing they have in common is racing.

GTR2 is a FIA GT game with 50 opponents, with only cars from the 2003-2004 FIA seasons, and only on FIA Scheduled race tracks. There's no photomode, no addition modifications, completely advanced tuning settings, & highly advanced physics engine.

Gran Turismo is...none of these.

To sum it up, Gran Turismo is all about the world of automobiles. GTR2, on the other hand, is focused on the FIA GT & nothing else. If it isn't in the FIA GT, it's not likely in GTR2.

..........how about we stay on topic

blah blah blah blah, click, blah blah blah blah..... yep... sounds like a broken record to me.... :dopey: is this something that has not been said thousands and thousands of times already??? what is the point.... have u purchased gt5p and are currently playing it?? do u have anything new to bring to the table?? or do u just enjoy sparking an emotional response from everyone? am i being harsh? u bet..... but honestly come up with something new please and speaking of staying on topic.... do comparisons of gt4 and gtr belong here??

Alright Collin ;) haven't seen you in a while.

GT has too high expectations, mainly because people all have difference prefferences but expect Gran Turismo to cover all of them. Comparing GT to forza is about as fair as the comparisons get, but since they are on differnt consoles its pretty pointless.

Stop right there. Not true at all. GTR and GTR2 beats gran turismo in many area. Gran Turismo beats GTR in many areas. Both of my statements are true. Since you appear to be convinced on what areas of GTR beats there is no point in me reminding you. However I shall bring a few areas in which Gran Turismo beats GTR. More cars. Photomode. Better graphics. Greater range of cars, from kei-cars to fully blown Le Mans cars. Better graphics. More diverse range of tornaments, More modification options, Licence tests. Rallying. You get the picture.

Now I am not saying these features are the best, but lets be honest they are area in which Gran Turismo beats GTR. YOu probably don't care about these areas, I myself don't car about photomode, but many people do. Which leads me to my next point. GTR is a focused simulator much like Live for Speed. The physics in these game are exceptional, much better than gran Turismo, but why would this surprise you?

Gran Turismo is a big seller, it is a console sim, but simulators on console games tend to be mainstream rather than hardcore simulators. Gran Turismo is a game that everyone can play, its easy to drive, its fun to play and it apeals to loads of peoples tastes. Some people like it because its more realistic than other console games. Some like it because they are car enthusiast who enjoy driving loads of cars. Some people like it because it has some of the best game graphics there are around.

Now lest look at who GTR appeals to. GTR primarily is a hardcore PC sim rather than a mainstream console sim. For this reason GTR focuses on absolute realism, GTR isn't meant to appeal to people who like things like photomode, GTR is meant to appeal to people who like extremely realistic physics even if it is too hard for the average gamer. I love GTR, I enjoy the high difficulty. I love the race weekends, practice session, qualifying and the races themselves even have parade laps. Ultimately GTR is far more realistic than Gran Turismo, but that doesn't make it a better game, which game is better resides in the preffereence of the user. As a general rule, I would say GTR is more realistic and fun in a challenging way. Gran Turismo has a better range of choice and fun in a casual way.

I have both games and play them for different reasons. I like both games for different reasons, I don't want Gran Turismo to become a hardcore sim, thats why I am not too bothered about the physics of Gran turismo. I don't want GTR to become a fun console sim, thats why I am not bothered that there are only a few cars in GTR.

This is because GTR is a hardcore sim and that is why it trounces Gran Turismo in these areas, regardless of budget. Polyphoney Digital spend there money and time in other areas. If you want to see GTR realism in Gran Turismo I suggest you give up on Gran Turismo altogether because it is not gonig to happen.

The reason you can do this is because of the internet. This should now be possible to some extent in GT5 because GT5 will have internet access.

Your right. Tracks in GT4 felt dead without spectators. GT5 promises to have more cars on track and if the demo is anything to go by spectators. I do expect GT5 to be more lively than GT4, if it doesn't I will be dissapointed.

no problem, I hope you take on board my main point; Gran Turismo will not be like GTR, I would suggest getting both games. But if absolute realism is your onyl goal in a racing game then stick to GTR.

I think you are completely right with most of your points but i think the simulation value should not vary to much between GTR2 and GT since GT claimes to be the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR. And yea well GT has a huge arsenal of cars but honestly who needs 30 skylines and cuores and all those other small slow cars. And besides GTR offers by now a huge veriety of cars as well. Maybe not as many normal cars but just as many pure bread race cars. And if you put the graphics on high in GTR the graphics are not to far off. But honestly the graphics are not that important. But i think what is important is that you dont have to drive around a track for 24 hours in daylight with no spectators against 5 other cars.

blah blah blah blah, click, blah blah blah blah..... yep... sounds like a broken record to me.... :dopey: is this something that has not been said thousands and thousands of times already??? what is the point.... have u purchased gt5p and are currently playing it?? do u have anything new to bring to the table?? or do u just enjoy sparking an emotional response from everyone? am i being harsh? u bet..... but honestly come up with something new please and speaking of staying on topic.... do comparisons of gt4 and gtr belong here??

Dude who makes you come in here and read what i post. If you see the topic and think it has been talked about already than just move on. And you can belong what ever you want ;)

Why are we comparing the 2? The only thing they have in common is racing.

GTR2 is a FIA GT game with 50 opponents, with only cars from the 2003-2004 FIA seasons, and only on FIA Scheduled race tracks. There's no photomode, no addition modifications, completely advanced tuning settings, & highly advanced physics engine.

Gran Turismo is...none of these.

To sum it up, Gran Turismo is all about the world of automobiles. GTR2, on the other hand, is focused on the FIA GT & nothing else. If it isn't in the FIA GT, it's not likely in GTR2.

Stop

The amount of opponents actually depends on the course and you PC. For example you can run over 100 cars at LE Mans and over 150 on the nordschleife.
The cars are always updated and you can drive cars from 1967 to today.
There are more tracks than in GT. And alot of the tracks are better due to more inovation. Who needs photomode in a racing simulation?
There are tons of modifications (nogrip.com). You have more options to find a perfect setup than in GT.
The variety of pure bread race cars ranges from GT's, TC's, LMP's to Formela one.

Stop

The amount of opponents actually depends on the course and you PC. For example you can run over 100 cars at LE Mans and over 150 on the nordschleife.
There are more tracks than in GT. And alot of the tracks are better due to more inovation. Who needs photomode in a racing simulation?
There are tons of modifications (nogrip.com). You have more options to find a perfect setup than in GT.
The variety of pure bread race cars ranges from GT's, TC's, LMP's to Formela one.

This does not apply. None of what you mention comes with GTR2.

If we're going to compare games, we're going to compare what the developer included, not what is capable of being added.

waterpoloinc: the edit button is your friend. Double posting is frowned upon, triple posting is outright bad.

Dude who makes you come in here and read what i post. If you see the topic and think it has been talked about already than just move on. And you can belong what ever you want ;)

don't go getting all sensitive now.... if u hang around a gt "fan" forum and diss the game u gotta have thicker skin than that "dude"

judging by yr love of atmosphere in a driving game i would be very interested to hear about yr thoughts on the crowds in the new london track.... have they screwed up or did they get it right? :sly: just curious.....

and btw this is not a personal attack... so dont get or take it personally... forums are about discussions.... we are here to express our thoughts... just as i expressed to u that i am over the constant moans and complaints... :)
if u really feel u have to get it off yr chest for the umteenth time... knock yourself out...

One thing before I join this conversation that will no doubt end in someone getting moderated or banned a more deep understanding of each other.

No txtspeek plz.

Comparing GT to GTR2 is like comparing apples to a horses ass. First and foremost, GT is a DRIVING simulator, not a RACING simulator as is GTR. Just driving around alone is part of the fun of GT. And why would anyone complain about the sheer variety of the cars in the game (Except all of those damned Skylines)? I guess some people would rather just drive a few F1 cars that look almost exactly alike to each other. I think that such a topic that claims to be "constructive critisism" by a "gt fan" that is so obviously just a cover to bash GT in general. I think that "Colin" needs a long hard think away from this site. Maybe he can blow off some steam on La Sarthe or the Nurb.

The cars are updated by 3rd parties. Simbm may release a few but the vast majority are done by other groups/individuals.

There are more tracks than in GT. And alot of the tracks are better due to more inovation.
I believe GT4 has more tracks than GTR/GTR2 does. Again, the other tracks that you may download for the GTR series are supplied by 3rd parties and are not always up to the standard of the official ones.

Who needs photomode in a racing simulation?
Who says GT is a racing simulation?

There are tons of modifications (nogrip.com).
Again provided by 3rd parties

You have more options to find a perfect setup than in GT.
Granted.

Again, anything other than a GT type car is provided by 3rd parties.

You are comparing a game lmited by a console and its need to be pick up and play, with a full blown, not easy to get into racing simulation. You are comparing apples to elephants.

Back