How important is paint/vinyl customization in GT5?

United Kingdom
Not on this planet!
SouthendRage
I'd rather burn the $$.
I've noticed in my other thread some people have talked about visual tuning,so how important is it?

One good thing is that we are not behind on Forza 2 in one way, seeing as it's had visual tuning since the first game.

What if people use rude signs on their cars?

With the addition of visual customization people could stick rude stuff on their cars, such as swear words and rude pictures, if we could see this in MP, it isn't very user friendly, I personally don't mind, but there could be little kids on there or somthing.

Personilisation

One good thing is that it could enable you to put your team on a car, like I could have SouthendRage on it, or SR but for the bad people they could 'copy' someone elses and pretend their them, although I think this is unlikely it could happen.

Maybe even physical customization ?

In GT4 we had the option to put a small selection of spoilers on most cars, althogh I do think it would be kinda cool to be able to do a bit more, even if it's somthing simple like exhaust tips, or maybe window tint. It still would be good if we could put front bumpers, or splitters on cars.

Maybe the return of 'RacingModifications'?

It would be good to have, but I this is not as important to me like damage..

Its about as important as having henry the hoover as the B license prize.

Henry Hoover you say?

Now that would be a brilliant prize! Especially if PD implement a damage model, because they never break down!

HenryGTSpec.jpg

:lol:

Visual customization would be great, however, all I really want visually is to be able to paint my car any color, and maybe the rims, and that would probably be enough for me to get some good looking cars. Sure, even with unlimited colors for the car and rims, there might be some ugly and untasteful cars that come across online, but that's just the world we live in and deal with it. As long as I can make a tasteful looking car and "make it my own", I'll be happy, if not, then I'll deal with PD not implementing anything.

I think if GT5 is to embark in the online world; with its challenges, leaderboards and clans... Liveries and custom paint jobs are a necessity. The ability to customize one's avatar is not paramount to any online players and communities; it basically went from being en emerging gameplay to a full core gameplay mechanic.

Even most racing "clans" in the real world have war colors and custom designed logos for their cars.

Overall, some people are against it because they see it as something that is not necessary to driving, but then again its not to any kind of games. GTA 3 allowed the player to fully customize his character, get fat or skinny, get tattoes and change hair dues and colors... and the game wasn't even multiplayer. This is a good example of Emerging gameplay transformed into a Core Gameplay mechanic, as its an integral part of the game experience.

Like others and myself have mentionned in other threads about this feature, the simple fact of not only upgrading your car internally, but giving it personal colors and forms is very intriguing and fun to the player. Forza Motorsport 1&2 proved that immensely; even creating an online "business" figure of sort, with players spending most of their time doing cool and very unique livery designs. Of course that has nothing to do with driving at first glance, but once you get on the track with beautifully rendered cars of GT5's caliber, sporting custom calligraphy and liveries... the game experience is near doubled.

From a developer's standpoint, i think not allowing this to happen for GT5 is actually a marketing and publishing mistake.

I really don't want to race a bunch of cars that look the same. As far as the "rude stuff" goes PD would have to have it in the game first, in other words you would not be able to have a "one of a kind" car. If you did "hex edit" your car you would be the only one that sees it that way. Yes you could take the mirrors off and stuff like that but you couldn"t have something on the side of the car that is unique.

I think it would be awesome, why should forza get all that but not gt5. Now I know PD can handle the software side but can sony provide the backend for auctions and replays etc.

They'd only be "riced out" if they offered cheap bodykits and had crazy decals like in NFS, not to mention huge mufflers.

They'd only be "riced out" if they offered cheap bodykits and had crazy decals like in NFS, not to mention huge mufflers.

anything beyond changing a car's color to a diff solid color would feel really out of place for me in the GT universe

even racing stripes.. i dont know how i'd feel about those

not really interested, i would hate to see riced out cars in Gran Turismo

Not riced out. Sorry to keep harping on this, but customization of car appearance goes a little beyond throwing some tribal vinyls on a neon paintjob. I don't think anyone is expecting the depth of Forza's livery editor in GT5, but just a few basic options would go a long way towards personalization. As has been mentioned before, now that GT5 is going online in a big way, being able to take a truly unique car out on the track is that much more of a bonus. It's also a big plus for tournament participation, as everyone can work from the same base and add their own touches... effectively creating something resembling a GT or touring car race.

That said, I'll be playing the heck out of GT5 even if I can't change a thing about the car... but we might as well dream big while we wait. :)

[I know, I know this image was posted soooo many times]
gt5_online_details.jpg

A Livery Editing option was planned in GTHD, so I guess it's safe to assume that they're working on it.

Not interested what so ever.

:)
Ditto.

Besides, I don't want to see people doing Ferraris up lik they've just rolled off the set of a Fast and Furious "film".

And I'm pretty sure Ferrari won't want to see it either.

Not riced out. Sorry to keep harping on this, but customization of car appearance goes a little beyond throwing some tribal vinyls on a neon paintjob. I don't think anyone is expecting the depth of Forza's livery editor in GT5, but just a few basic options would go a long way towards personalization. As has been mentioned before, now that GT5 is going online in a big way, being able to take a truly unique car out on the track is that much more of a bonus. It's also a big plus for tournament participation, as everyone can work from the same base and add their own touches... effectively creating something resembling a GT or touring car race.

That said, I'll be playing the heck out of GT5 even if I can't change a thing about the car... but we might as well dream big while we wait. :)

give me some examples then

maybe like a sticker if youre part of some team, or a small number of the side if it's a real race car... i'd be ok with very understated bodykits too, like a small front/rear lips for stock cars

other than that i dont see what else you could add and not make it look trashy :dunno:

give me some examples then

maybe like a sticker if youre part of some team, or a small number of the side if it's a real race car... i'd be ok with very understated bodykits too, like a small front/rear lips for stock cars

other than that i dont see what else you could add and not make it look trashy :dunno:

Try clicking on the links within my "Not riced out" comment above. I don't want to fill this thread with Forza 2 screenshots. :)

Keep in mind that the cars featured in those shots started out as stock vehicles. A very talented gentleman within our tournament group designed the base livery and decals from scratch.

You may also want to check out this post I made over in the "How important is damage?" thread. As you can see, I (and others) are big fans of custom paint/liveries and the results are Fast, yet not at all Furious. ;)

Try clicking on the links within my "Not riced out" comment above. I don't want to fill this thread with Forza 2 screenshots. :)

Keep in mind that the cars featured in those shots started out as stock vehicles. A very talented gentleman within our tournament group designed the base livery and decals from scratch.

You may also want to check out this post I made over in the "How important is damage?" thread. As you can see, I (and others) are big fans of custom paint/liveries and the results are Fast, yet not at all Furious. ;)

heh, i dig the 300SL

ya i see what youre saying.. i guess it would be ok if it's like a DTM style race, or lemans or something

i would just hate to race people online with fast n furious rides :crazy:

but to be honest, i had a couple cars in gt4 that i just pimped out for hilarity, like a slammed black early-90s civic with those 60s lowrider style golden rims haha

not really important for me to have custom paint and livery editor, just give me custom number plates or a race number on the side and back windows. Besides I have very little time to race these days as it is, let alone spend countless hours making my standard 911 turbo look like a Gulf Le Mans race car or painting my 85 VK HDT Holden Commodore Group A a colour it should never be (only Formula Blue will do).

Well, that's the good thing with having options. Hopefully the livery editor will be there for the people who want it, and then for the people who want true stock colors and looks, can choose not to use it. Even if we were to find some "ricers" online or something, just blow their doors off and show 'em that 3 foot wings don't work on stock civics.

I'm not overly concerned with visuals like aerokits, but I would like to see some normal looking spoilers for the cars as well as a better selection of rims. Other then that the visuals are fine the way they are. Although it would be cool to add rallye lights to some of the cars, but I doubt we will get any night time rallye stages.

The vinyl editor on the other hand is something that will be extremely important for online racing. Even if it's only numbers, number plates, and maybe some stripes. If this is the "real driving simulator" and PD expects people to think they are in a real racing environment they need to make sure it is the best it can be. At the bare minimum there should be numbers, everything else would just be a added bonus.

As for damage, I don't care about it, all it's going to do is limit other things in the game because development resources went towards it instead of a few more tracks.

Well I would like to see it implimented but more for the team builder side of things, Like a GTP time attack team with there own colour scheme and logos, or when in online races racing for GTP with the logo on your car, stuff like this would be nice, but from a rice point of view, im not that bothered.

What will be; will be.

I'm with Sprite. I'm also in the "rather have livery than damage" camp. Both would be great, but if you forced me to pick, it would be paint customization, particularly for online racing purposes.

Team livery, or even being able to paint every one of your cars a particular color, would be great for the online community.

I would have played Forza so much more if they fixed the stupid slipping of your liveries. Did they really expect me to fix it after every race? I would love a livery editor if they could make it easier or better than Forza, but it really isn't essential. I would like it for all the reasons mentioned, and don't care if some people rice out their cars, but I would want to be able to add a racing team livery to all my cars, so not including it would probably save me a load of time.

Back