Alonso at Ferrari for 2010

• Thread starter orimarc
  • 150 comments
Spain
Barcelona
Missing
Halo v8
Have they made it up, or did they hear it from someone from Ferrari? because I can't read spanish!

Have they made it up, or did they hear it from someone from Ferrari? because I can't read spanish!
It's a Spanish tabloid. So yes, they're probably making things up. While Massa and Raikkonen no doubt have performance clauses that would allow Ferrari to release them early, they've hardly been out-paced by Alonso; when the Spaniard got Massa in Catalunya, it was Ferrari's fault for not tellng him to back off and let Vettel through sooner. It's just the Spanish media wanting to so desperately see their boy back on top. But Ferrari have said they're not interested in the past, Alonso has been more interested in driving for Brawn and the only "proof" the tabloids have is Santander defecting from McLaren to Ferrari next year. They've been running these stories for ages and not one has proven true.

Who can say it's not true? When Ferrari acquired Michael, it was known for quite some time before the actual move, it also was a well known fact when Kimi moved to Ferrari.

It wouldn't make sense for Ferrari to be announcing drivers in the middle of the season but everyone knows that Luca, Alonso, and Santander will all be working together in the future.

Although the "announcement" on Diario AS doesn't hold much weight i'm sure Fernando's move from Renault to Ferrari is not an "if" rather than a "when".

ciao

Quite clearly, Alonso is only interested in driving for a top-running team, he doesn't care whether its Ferrari or someone else, this what I gathered from his comments earlier about being more interested in Brawn. He doesn't have that special affection some drivers seem to have for Ferrari. Some driver's dreams are to race for Ferrari, but most just want to drive in F1 and for a good team.

Quite simply, Alonso could go to anyone in the following seasons, even McLaren if he felt it was the best choice. I think he will stay at Renault in the end, another fairly large regulation change is coming for 2010 (no refuelling) and he's probably better off staying where he is than taking a chance...though that didn't work out for 2009 :lol:

He's more likely to go to Red Bull than Ferrari in my opinion.

Isn't Raikkonen to retire at the end of this season? Alonso could be the one to fly over there before anyone else does, because, they're the only free team that's doing better than renault.

Isn't Raikkonen to retire at the end of this season? Alonso could be the one to fly over there before anyone else does, because, they're the only free team that's doing better than renault.

No, Raikkonen is contracted till the end of 2010. I wonder how many more times this will be repeated :lol:

It’s out! Alonso has a Ferrari contract

December 29, 2008 by James Allen

Formula 1 is setting itself up for a great on-track rivalry to match the classic Senna-Prost duel of the early 1990s.

My good friend and colleague Pino Allievi is writing in La Gazetta dello Sport in Italy that Fernando Alonso has a four year contract with Ferrari starting 2011, but with clauses which allow that contract to be brought forward one year to 2010. This will bring Alonso into a head-to-head duel with his nemesis, Lewis Hamilton, with blood red Ferraris and Silver Arrows the weapons of choice.

I have known Pino for almost 20 years and in that time I’m struggling to think of a single occasion on which he has wrongly called a move by Ferrari. He has excellent connections there, going back to Enzo Ferrari’s time.

So you can take it as read that this story is true. And it will really shake things up in F1.

Source: http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/its-out-alonso-has-a-ferrari-contract/

Original source: http://www.gazzetta.it/Motori/Formula1/Primo_Piano/2008/12/28/alonsoferrari.shtml

29/6/09

Kimi Raikkonen to make WRC debut in Finland

Ferrari Formula 1 star Kimi Raikkonen will make his World Rally Championship debut at the next round of the WRC, Neste Oil Rally Finland, which starts on 30 July.

Raikkonen, who was F1 world champion in 2007, will drive his own Abarth Grande Punto S2000 in front of his home crowd in the country widely regarded as the home of rallying.

He will be co-driven by fellow Finn Kaj Lindstrom, the man who formerly partnered multiple WRC champion Tommi Makinen.

Alongside Lindstrom, Raikkonen has already contested three non-WRC rallies this year but the upcoming round in Jyvaskyla will be his maiden outing on gravel.

Raikkonen made his rally debut in January on Finland's Arctic Rally, finishing 13th, and followed that with 17th on another snow event, the Rally of Mikkeli. He retired from his asphalt rally debut, the Italian Rally della Marca, after clipping a low wall and breaking his car's suspension.

A total of 90 crews have registered for this year's Rally Finland, the highest number for a WRC qualifying round this year. There are 18 World Rally Cars amongst the entries and drivers representing 25 different nationalities.

Simon Long, the boss of WRC promoters ISC, said: "I've said before that the WRC is built on heroes and iconic figures - and they don't come any bigger than Kimi Raikkonen. It's superb news for the Championship and hugely exciting that he'll be competing in Finland."

Source: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?ln...WRC debut in Finland&rally_id=FIN&season=2009

29oj39u.jpg

Ferrari/Alonso vs Hamilton/Mclaren would be epic.

That's the point. This "news" was reported 6 months ago, so nothing has changed. But now we have a date, and Kimi's WRC debut.
But Kimi isn't defecting to the WRC. He's just competing in a privateer entry. Hell, he's running in a Punto, a car produced by Fiat and the Fiat group own Ferrari. The so-called "date" of the Italian Grand Prix being the announcement of Alonso's joining Maranello has been given on the basis that Ferrari traditionally use their home race to make annoucements. There's no actual evidence of anythig going on. So Luca gave Fernando a friendly head-slap, but all the teams and drivers know one another. There has been nothing to indicate that Ferrari are upset, unimpressed, disenchanted or anything otherwise that would suggest one of their drivers will be leaving for 2010. Until they say something - and both Ferrari and Alosno have stated they're not interested in one another in the past - then nothing is confirmed, no matter how many tabloids and opinion columns print it.

Of course it's just speculation, but I doubt Ferrari would let Kimi compete in one of the most dangerous forms of motorsports (WRC) if they had any future plans with the Finn. I think Kimi has lost that edge. Felipe keeps outperforming him. Honestly, as a Ferrari fan, I want a new driver to replace him.

Ferrari has never said they don't want Alonso, or vice versa. The only thing Ferrari has said whenever they have been asked about Alonso is that they have Kimi and Felipe contracted to 2010. That a very political answer. Alonso in the past has simply said that Ferrari may receive preferential treatment from the FIA. Alonso has never said he doesn't want to drive for Ferrari.

Of course it's just speculation, but I doubt Ferrari would let Kimi compete in one of the most dangerous forms of motorsports (WRC) if they had any future plans with the Finn.
You have clearly neer seen a Finn drive a rally car. There's a reason why only four non-Scandinavians have won the Rally of Finland in its fifty year-history. And it has only been won by non-Finnish drivers on eight occasions. They learn car control on gravel roads from an incredibly young age. As soon as they can see over the steering wheel, Finnish children start rallying. Don't believe me? Let Mika Hakkinen show you.

And rallying might be dangerous, but it's not like they're just tearing around in unmodified production cars. Rallying has just as many safety precautions as Formula One.

I think Kimi has lost that edge. Felipe keeps outperforming him. Honestly, as a Ferrari fan, I want a new driver to replace him.
Really? Let's have a look:

Australia - both drivers retire, but Massa is out first. Both retirements were mechanical. Kimi classified as finished due to completing 90% of race distance.
Malaysia - Massa beats Kimi, but Raikkonen's poor showing is Ferrari's fault for giving him extreme wets in the dry. Stupid mistake in qualifying by team hurts Massa.
China - Massa has electrical fault, Kimi finishes tenth.
Bahrain - Kimi comes sixth. Massa is fourteenth, a lap down.
Spain - Kimi retires with hydrulics problems. Massa loses two spots by not yielding to Vettel sooner; doing so would have meant he only lost the one place. Ferrari repeat Malaysian mistake with Kimi.
Monaco - Kimi takes podium, Massa fourth; stupid mistakes mean Massa loses places to Vettel and Rosberg early in race. Kimi also qualified second.
Turkey - Massa is sixth, Raikkonen ninth.
Britain - Massa is fourth, Raikkonen eighth.

Based on that, the only occasions when Kimi has been out-paced by Massa were in Turkey and Britain. Every other time, he has suffered from mechanical woes or stupid decisions by the team. And Ferrari wouldn't be trading up for Alonso because Alonso has only ever narrowly beaten him, and in the last three races it has always been Kimi's way.

You have clearly neer seen a Finn drive a rally car. There's a reason why only four non-Scandinavians have won the Rally of Finland in its fifty year-history. And it has only been won by non-Finnish drivers on eight occasions. They learn car control on gravel roads from an incredibly young age. As soon as they can see over the steering wheel, Finnish children start rallying. Don't believe me? Let Mika Hakkinen show you.

That must be the reason why Latvala keeps crashing.

That's nothing to do with his nationality...

With regard to rumours surrounding Alonso and Ferrari (separately), I ignore everything from the Spanish press, and pretty much everything from the Italian press.

And everything from James Allen on all topics.

Let's just wait for an official announcement.

Exception that proves the rule. After all, Brazil has produced some great Formula One drivers - Senna, Piquet, Barrichello and Massa all spring to mind - but Piquet 2 is an idiot.

That's nothing to do with his nationality...

With regard to rumours surrounding Alonso and Ferrari (separately), I ignore everything from the Spanish press, and pretty much everything from the Italian press.

And everything from James Allen on all topics.

Let's just wait for an official announcement.

+1! We´ve been hearing the same Spanish "news" for some years now, and every time we get the very same Italian "answer".

Wait until the end of next season, and then we´ll know for sure!

When did I question Scandinavians' racing skills in general? All I said is that Kimi and Kimi alone has lost his edge. And I have seen Finns drive rally cars, as I'm an avid WRC fan. And if and when Kimi and FIAT fully join the WRC I will support them, as my favorite team (Mitsubishi) dropped out years ago.

And rallying might be dangerous, but it's not like they're just tearing around in unmodified production cars. Rallying has just as many safety precautions as Formula One.

No it doesn't. Formula One cars don't crash into electric poles, cows, trees, giant rocks, fences, etc. You can't compare the controlled environment of a circuit to the mayhem of rally stages.

Really? Let's have a look:

Australia - both drivers retire, but Massa is out first. Both retirements were mechanical. Kimi classified as finished due to completing 90% of race distance.
Malaysia - Massa beats Kimi, but Raikkonen's poor showing is Ferrari's fault for giving him extreme wets in the dry. Stupid mistake in qualifying by team hurts Massa.
China - Massa has electrical fault, Kimi finishes tenth.
Bahrain - Kimi comes sixth. Massa is fourteenth, a lap down.
Spain - Kimi retires with hydrulics problems. Massa loses two spots by not yielding to Vettel sooner; doing so would have meant he only lost the one place. Ferrari repeat Malaysian mistake with Kimi.
Monaco - Kimi takes podium, Massa fourth; stupid mistakes mean Massa loses places to Vettel and Rosberg early in race. Kimi also qualified second.
Turkey - Massa is sixth, Raikkonen ninth.
Britain - Massa is fourth, Raikkonen eighth.

Based on that, the only occasions when Kimi has been out-paced by Massa were in Turkey and Britain. Every other time, he has suffered from mechanical woes or stupid decisions by the team. And Ferrari wouldn't be trading up for Alonso because Alonso has only ever narrowly beaten him, and in the last three races it has always been Kimi's way.

Forgot 2008 did we? You also have to remember that for Monaco and Spain Kimi had a better car than Massa. Massa didn't get the lighten chassis until Turkey. Both drivers have had bad luck, and both have had reliability issues. Hell if Massa's engine had 3 more laps in Hungary last year, and if the team hadn't botched his pit stop in Singapore he would be 2008 World Champion for the fraction of Kimi's salary. Kimi is the highest paid F1 driver, and his performances over the last 2 years do not justify that salary. Maybe the team and him came together and decided it was best if he moved onto Rally with FIAT. Kimi has also said on several occasions that he isn't exactly enamored with the media in F1 and the off-track life.

P.S. Found this little tidbit.

20090707135558.jpg

Alonso looks good in red. 👍

Massa has had bad luck at many moments, being ahead of Kimi, not his fault at all. They all were either a physical disadvantage, bad team judgement, or a vehicle failure.

Unlike my Catalan buddy, I don't need to express how excited I am. Alonso's had a creepy car in five out of eight championships, it's about time he gets a competitive one!

And that creepy car has gotten him 2 world titles. The Renault doesn't have its touch anymore though. From world title holders to mid fielders to ass of the grid.

Pardon the double-post, but I'm taking the opportunity to gloat: Alonso denies it all.
Alonso rubbishes Ferrari 'rumours'

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde - Thursday, July 9th 2009, 13:40 GMT

Fernando Alonso has rubbished speculation linking him yet again to the Ferrari team, saying he is not even in talks with the Italian squad.

The Italian and Spanish media has this week reported that Alonso is set to drive for Ferrari in 2010, probably replacing Kimi Raikkonen if the Finn decides to pursue a career in the World Rally Championship.

The Finn will make his WRC debut later this year in Rally Finland, a move the Italian press has seen as an indication that the former world champion is ready to leave F1.

Renault driver Alonso, however, denied he had any contracts with Ferrari, and said he had not even talked to the team about his future.

"They are only rumours. They have been happening in the last four or five years," Alonso told reporters in Germany.

When asked if he had been talking to Ferrari or if you had a Ferrari contract, he said: "No, and no."

Alonso did admit having a competitive car will be an important factor in deciding where his future lies.

"It is important, but it is not the end of the world," he said. "I am missing winning - there are no doubts. I want to win and to have a performing car as soon as possible, but I also understand that this is sport and it happens everywhere – not only in motor racing.

"It happens in tennis, it happens in NBA, in football. Sometimes you go up and down in your career. In motorsport, it is even more important to have the car and the package.

"We saw with Michael (Schumacher), maybe the greatest driver ever, two world championships in Benetton and then five years in Ferrari waiting because this is not only the human part, it is also the team and the package. So, I put myself in that part of my career, in stand by, and I am preparing myself very strong physically and mentally."

The two-time champion is yet to finish on the podium this season with Renault and is down in ninth place in the standings.

Ferrari has also struggled this year, having scored just one podium finish in eight races.
I'm not too surprised. It takes more than a photoshop job of Alonso in Ferrari battle fatigues to be convincing.

:rolleyes:

Raikkonen rules out Ferrari move
Kimi Raikkonen
Raikkonen's shot at the 2006 title was ruined by technical problems
Kimi Raikkonen has denied speculation linking him to Ferrari as a replacement for Michael Schumacher in 2007.

The Finn's contract with McLaren expires next season - when Schumacher is expected to retire - but he insists he has not struck a deal with Ferrari.

"I have heard the rumours and want to say that I have definitely not signed anything with Ferrari," Raikkonen told German newspaper Bild Daily.

"If both parties are successful, it's possible I'll stay at McLaren forever."

Raikkonen joined McLaren from Sauber in 2002 to fill the shoes of retiring compatriot and two-time champion Mikka Hakkinen.

As a young boy my dream was to join McLaren-Mercedes
Kimi Raikkonen

The Finn finished as runner-up to Fernando Alonso in the drivers championship this season and wants to go further with the Woking-based team.

"I want to be in the fastest car," said Raikkonen.

"As a young boy my dream was to join McLaren-Mercedes because of Mika Hakkinen.

"I am here now and extremely happy to be so."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4315614.stm

Ferrari denies link to Kimi

Thursday, 25 August 2005 14:54

Ferrari has denied reports in the German press that it has signed a pre-contract agreement with Kimi Raikkonen to join the team from 2007.

Speculation has linked the Finnish star, who is signed to McLaren until the end of next year, to a future switch to the Italian team for some time.

But German tabloid Bild claims that a "secure source" has confirmed his agreement with Ferrari.

"Kimi Raikkonen has signed a pre-contract at Ferrari," claimed the newspaper.

But Ferrrari spokesman Luca Colajanni emphatically denied the story.

"We already have two drivers under contract for the 2006 season and it is too soon to talk about 2007," he said.

"We have not made any commitments with anybody."

According to Bild however, talks began between Raikkonen and Ferrari last year, while the Finn was enduring a torrid run of unreliability with McLaren. They then continued into the start of this year.

"The final agreement on this contract came in May," the report said.

McLaren and Ferrari have vied for Raikkonen's services ever since the Finn first emerged on the F1 scene with Sauber.

Jean Todt and Ron Dennis both signed a document that cleared the way for the youngster to gain a superlicence for 2001.

When Raikkonen signed for McLaren for the following season, Dennis proclaimed it as a victory for McLaren's fair-minded approach to racing as opposed to Ferrari's Michael Schumacher-centric strategy.

The seven-time world champion has also been in the spotlight this week after the same paper reported he was considering a switch to the McLaren-Mercedes team for 2007.

Schumacher denied there was any truth in this despite meeting Mercedes boss Norbert Haug twice during the Turkish Grand Prix to discuss "the future of F1".

It seems unlikely however that the German, who has won five of his seven titles with Ferrari, is considering leaving the Italian team.

He could however be angling for a pay-rise above his current £25m-plus salary before extending his contract for another two years.

That's if he decides to continue racing beyond 2006.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=33856&PO=33856

Kimi denies Ferrari’s offer

McLaren’s Kimi Raikkonen has denied reports that he has signed a contract with Ferrari.

”I have not signed a new contract with anybody,” an exasperated Kimi said upon his arrival in Malaysia. “This Ferrari thing is written again and again, but there is nothing new.”

McLaren have already signed Fernando Alonso. However, the team insists Alonso is a partner for Kimi rather than a replacement.

“We have made no particular secret of the fact that we want Kimi to stay with us,” McLaren’s managing director Martin Whitmarsh said.

“We have got one Champion in the car next year and it would be nice to have a second with Kimi taking the title and being in the car alongside Fernando.”

http://f1chronicles.com/2006/03/16/kimi-denies-ferraris-offer/

All the big drivers call the rumors fake because they want to cover it up until later. So consider Alonso with ferrari soon.

Last edited:
Back