GT5 Academy edition - 32 in lobby 16 driving 16 watching

United Kingdom
Near Reading, Uk
JohnSchoonsBeard
I was looking at the packaging for the academy edition today and it mentioned online was revised.

It said 32 were allowed in a lobby, half driving, half playing. Has anyone upgraded and tried it out. Also mentions lobby setup is 'enhanced'. What has been changed?

Last edited:
Do you have a picture? My copy doesn't mention anything about 32 player or enhanced lobbies. I do know that 32 person lobbies (16 drivers + 16 spectators) was their original plan and obviously had to be scrapped for release. As of right now the lobbies haven't been updated to allow for more players.

Do you have a picture? My copy doesn't mention anything about 32 player or enhanced lobbies. I do know that 32 person lobbies (16 drivers + 16 spectators) was their original plan and obviously had to be scrapped for release. As of right now the lobbies haven't been updated to allow for more players.

Sounds like a bit of false advertising. No picture unfortunately as I didn't buy it. It was in the ASDA in High Wycombe (UK) and the blue graphic announcing it was, from memory, on the lower right of the back cover.

Here's a photo of my copy:

1357235278-20130103-184558.jpg

It does mention the 32 players lobbies...

You're right, I missed it and the back cover of mine does have that in German. Could be an error or it could be that an update is planned.

Just checked the back of my UK version and it says the same.

"New customisable lobby system. Up to 32 players per lobby with 16 racers and 16 spectators."

This was mentioned awhile ago if I remember.

The original GT had the same promises. I just think its an error though.

This was mentioned awhile ago if I remember.

The original GT had the same promises. I just think its an error though.

Just checked my original launch version and it doesn't say that. It only claims "Up to 16 players per lobby"

Edit. The Platinum rerelease also says "Up to 16 players per lobby"

Just checked my original launch version and it doesn't say that. It only claims "Up to 16 players per lobby"

Edit. The Platinum rerelease also says "Up to 16 players per lobby"

Damn. I remember threads on here mentioning 16 spectators 16 on track and a generally good party vibe.

I'm sure the GT5 countdown thread was in full swing at the time also lol.

Edit my collectors edition says 16 lobby too.

The lobby as it is now can barely handle 12+. While it would be a nice feature to update, I'm not sure if I'd want to deal with such a thing with the current online system.

An old GT5 cover I found a while back said "16 cars on track or 32-player kart races..."

optiongamers
I think it's just the GT5 servers.

What console racing games allow more people to connect online than GT5? How many even allow 16? I don't think PD are the only ones that have trouble getting more on track with these consoles.

I think it is a server issue. Why? Because it is not 32 players playing, which would need to show more polygons on screen and therefore be a game/console issue.

It is 16 players and 16 watching. That to me makes it a server issue.

Maybe a significant server upgrade is the intended mythical Spec 3 update?

This was something talked about before GT5 was even released, at a certain game show it was reported that there'd be 48 in online lobbies, then it was cut to 32. I was very disappointed on release day to find it was only gonna be 16.

Please god let it be true, this is what most online games are lacking these days I feel, not enough people in one room. I think our average level of internet is good enough to cope with it (though not many people have that good internet connections) but the games servers' severely lack in quality. If you can play ground war on call of duty fine, 25-30 people on a racing game shouldn't be too bad.

Please god let it be true, this is what most online games are lacking these days I feel, not enough people in one room. I think our average level of internet is good enough to cope with it (though not many people have that good internet connections) but the games servers' severely lack in quality. If you can play ground war on call of duty fine, 25-30 people on a racing game shouldn't be too bad.

Been in a room with a full 16 before? Aint pretty. doubling that wont be too pleasant either..

Been in a room with a full 16 before? Aint pretty. doubling that wont be too pleasant either..

I agree. When I used to race online, I would limit my rooms to 12 people. Never had a problem unless somebody came in with a super bad connection. Kick them and everything would be fine again. Unless PD fixes the online, I would rather they keep it at 16. Anything more, you're asking for disaster.

16 can still work in private rooms if you get the room settings right. Min race quality with microphones at the second lowest quality setting (or off) works even with some slower connections in the field. All go to pits before pressing start race. Set false start penalties to off. It's not error free of course but getting that right certainly minimises disconnections

16 can still work in private rooms if you get the room settings right.

Yup. WRS ran a 2.4 Hour Enduro last month with 16 drivers and we didn't have one single disconnect, invisible driver, or lag issues. And this was with drivers from NA, EU, and AU participating. Set the lounge up correctly and race with people who have decent internet and the issues are greatly minimized.

Yup. WRS ran a 2.4 Hour Enduro last month with 16 drivers and we didn't have one single disconnect, invisible driver, or lag issues. And this was with drivers from NA, EU, and AU participating. Set the lounge up correctly and race with people who have decent internet and the issues are greatly minimized.

That was a great event, and the first we've had go off that well with 16 drivers.
Private lobby, Standard room setting, mics disabled, host on a NAT 1 connection 👍
We always run with mics disabled if the driver count is over 12.

Back