CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
wayfast
check this on out guys... not sure how cheap it would be though

rig2.jpg
lol @ jay.

Thats PSI240SX, he posts at fuelslut.net.

im building a cockpit and i would like to know the dimensions of the logitech dfp pedal base and the also the dimension of a platform which would comfortably and securly mount the wheel. Thankyou :D

Small_Fryz
im building a cockpit and i would like to know the dimensions of the logitech dfp pedal base and the also the dimension of a platform which would comfortably and securly mount the wheel. Thankyou :D

The pedal base is 10" 7/8 (27.6cm) wide, and 13" 1/4 (33.65cm) long.

And the wheel can be secured to just about anything. I've seen people clamping the wheel onto desks, tables, home made cockpit mounts (which sometimes include just a bar that goes across). It's whatever you can come up with.

The only dimension you need to know is the maximum thickness of a surface that will fit between the clamps with the removable plastic taken off, and that is...

2" (5cm)

Hope that helps.

Slurp
The pedal base is 10" 7/8 (27.6cm) wide, and 13" 1/4 (33.65cm) long.

And the wheel can be secured to just about anything. I've seen people clamping the wheel onto desks, tables, home made cockpit mounts (which sometimes include just a bar that goes across). It's whatever you can come up with.

The only dimension you need to know is the maximum thickness of a surface that will fit between the clamps with the removable plastic taken off, and that is...

2" (5cm)

Hope that helps.

thankyou very much 👍

Gek54
You need to get that TV eye level. You look hella uncomfortable. Move the component rack below the tv rack.
That TV weighs 275lbs (my back still remembers). Better to lower the chair I think. :)

intelectualism
my god.. so many games.. so many systems... where did he get the stand for the wheel or did he make it himself
Prototype he built.

here's anouther pic. I do autocross and race shifter karts, and Formula Mazda's. This is about as real as it gets for a game. GT-4 is great. 👍
gt-4driving1.jpg

Well,

Here is my seat setup. Simple but effective and mostly all bolt on. You just need a hacksaw to cut a couple pieces of metal. This setup was $25 from Menards. If you use a racing seat that doesn't come with brackets, you'll need another square perforated 4 ft piece which is $10.

It's sturdy for the most part unless you have to man handle it on certain tracks like the Hong Kong street track. ;) Then it just slightly sways side to side. It's good enough for me.

wNzk5MDUwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNzk5MDUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNzk5MDUxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

feldon23
Friend's setup. He says it's a prototype. He's gonna look at this thread...

GT3Endur.jpg

Thats exactly that kind of rack I have in mind, perfect for those who will be using a sofa or chair. Any more info on it?

btw, the TV rack looks really unstable with all that stuff on it... :scared:

MOMOstand_1.jpg

MOMOstand_2.jpg

Any thoughts? This is meant to sit directly in front of my gaming chair with those rear legs just in between the front legs of the chair. The thick bar under the wheel portion will be where the clamps go - they don't seem to tighten doen on anything less than about 1/2" thick. I also noticed a brass threaded insert near the nose of the wheel. If there is a separate clamp that screw in there, the wheel deck is held short of that hole so I can use that too. The pedals just sit and are held in place by that little lip.

I ended up using a 15 degree rake for both wheel deck and pedal deck. The wheel should probably be steeper so the wheel itself is more upright, but making them on the same slope simplifies construction quite a bit. I may go to 20 degrees for both.

I'm going to have my nephew weld this up out of 1/8" or 3/16" steel plate and 1" thinwall tubing. I may also price having it fabricated out of aluminum, but I don't expect that will be too cheap.

Comments are welcome since it only costs time to change things at this point!

I would put a diamond shap for the entire base. Those four legs sticking out may not be wide enough. So try using the exact design and just connect the left front to the left back with a triangle, and do the same to the other side. I'm not sure if i explained that well. It would just give it less chance to tip.

slydog
Here's my cheap set up, $49 Fliptop table at home depot. It even has tilt steering and hight adjustments. Good enough for me.

PS it's very sturdy and doesn't move.
DANG! That little table looks perfect! Unfortunately it appears to be discontinued because I can't find one online anywhere...

dJomp
This is my mate's setup I was trying to describe earlier in the thread:

He's since modified it a bit, the wheel is in a better position, the seat is flat and there's a backrest on the seat too. But that's the only pic I can find, it shows the concept though.
That looks very uncomfortable. It looks more like your riding a horseand driving a car.

Currently my setup is temporary; plan on going out tomorrow and buying a car seat from the salvage yard and building myself a better setup.

Logitec Driving Force Pro + PS2 + GT4 /w 42" Plasmascreen @ 1080i HDTV

center.jpg

left.jpg

Wife playing Everquest 2 heh

right.jpg

Really messy right now, refinishing my basement (computer room)

Once the seat is finish, moving the PS2 and GT4 down to my theater room:

screenview.jpg

rearview.jpg

zoomout.jpg

projectionimage2.jpg

Infocus SP4805 - 126" screen (8ft) - Hi Def gaming formats, depending on signal to 108" ; still moving into the house, but got the main stuff up... just need to finish the rest of the unpacking and get some pictures on walls and such heh..

alumar
Currently my setup is temporary; plan on going out tomorrow and buying a car seat from the salvage yard and building myself a better setup.

Logitec Driving Force Pro + PS2 + GT4 /w 42" Plasmascreen @ 1080i HDTV

Very impressive alumar. 👍

I too will be joining you in the front projection club in a month or so. I've heard good things regarding the SP4805. But I think will go the extra mile and shoot for the SP7205, because of the superior contrast, black levels and of course full HD resolution.

I'm looking at about a 110" screen. What kind of screen are you using?

isamu
Very impressive alumar. 👍

I too will be joining you in the front projection club in a month or so. I've heard good things regarding the SP4805. But I think will go the extra mile and shoot for the SP7205, because of the superior contrast, black levels and of course full HD resolution.

I'm looking at about a 110" screen. What kind of screen are you using?

Custom cut Dazian Matte Non-Perforated Screen

Located Here

I'm almost done with my setup made out of ABS piping (the black plumbing piping). If needed I'll do a write up for you guys. It's more or less for the guys with little or no welding skills etc etc.. skills to make a nice metal one.. Or if your lazy ;P

I'll probobly have it done by tomorrow morning.. It's almost exactly the same as the other one made out of PVC piping here...

damn, this projector thing is really really nice, wish i had the money to get something like that :embarrassed:)

the ABS setup is complete.. Pics up later tonight.. write-up tonight or tomorrow.. My dad told me when i first bought the DFP and GT4 "Why would you spend $200 on a game?" (DFP+gt4) He tried my setup and immidiately had an ear to ear grin. I told him , "Now know why I spent $200 and why I think not one penny of it was a waste of my money."

intelectualism
the ABS setup is complete.. Pics up later tonight.. write-up tonight or tomorrow.. My dad told me when i first bought the DFP and GT4 "Why would you spend $200 on a game?" (DFP+gt4) He tried my setup and immidiately had an ear to ear grin. I told him , "Now know why I spent $200 and why I think not one penny of it was a waste of my money."

How much did your set up cost? Im thinking of building one now haha. Like you said about skills. Im not one to have much in welding skills, wood skills, numbchuck skills. err Haha. Yea. can't wait for the pics man.

Some guy's put free plans for a cockpit look here www.firetooth.net, you could get someone at a woodyard to cut the wood for you, shouldn't be that expensive.
Go to www.racebasecockpit.com if you want to see the commercial version(identical)

I built my own cockpit, the seat came from the back of a BMW, blue leather, fibreglass back & base for easy mounting, only cost 4 quid.

Hope this is of some use

see pics

http://www.firetooth.net

Attachments

• CHAIR close.jpg
    CHAIR close.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 450
  • CHAIR far.jpg
    CHAIR far.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 556
  • CHAIR near.jpg
    CHAIR near.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 381
y0gfx
How much did your set up cost? Im thinking of building one now haha. Like you said about skills. Im not one to have much in welding skills, wood skills, numbchuck skills. err Haha. Yea. can't wait for the pics man.
I'd say about $50 USD. You can probobly finish one for less, I messed up once on measurements and had to buy some extra pieces ($10 worth XD). You can also cut it down by buying a full 10ft long ABS pipe. I didn't because I would not have fit in my car so I payed about double for pre-cut 2 ft pieces. The write-up might take a while, I caught the flu, pretty bad case of it, so I've been laying down most of the time.

Back