Photomode FAQ's

• Thread starter DRT2RM
  • 12 comments
I see a lot of people asking the same basic questions over and over so thought I'd make a little FAQ thread. As more people start playing with the photo mode, I'm sure the same questions will pop up every now and then. Anyway, I've had this info on my site for quite some time and have gotten several emails from people who have found it useful -- so I thought it would be useful here. If there are any corrections or additions you'd like to see, feel free to post and I'll see about adding it to the list :)

Q. How do I transfer photos from the Playstation 2 to the computer?
A. You will need a memory stick that is USB compatible which you plug into the USB port at the front of the Playstation 2 console. After you have "snapped" a photo, press start. Drop down the top menu and select the option for "USB", then press "OK" to transfer the image straight to the memory stick. Remove the memory stick, plug it into the computer and your images can now be placed onto the computer.

Q. Which USB memory sticks will work on the Playstation 2?
A. Please view this thread for more information on which USB memory sticks are compatible. Here's a quick list :

A-data A Genie Pro 2.0 128mb
Adtec 32MB stick
ApacerHandy Steno TN202 128mb
Apple ipod
Apple ipod 3rd gen > the U2 version doesnt work
Apple iPod Shuffle 512mb
Arianet USB 2.0 Pen Drive 128MB
BenQ Joybee 150, 256Mb
BMW MP3 Watch
Buffalo Clip Drive
Conceptronic usb 3.5 HD box
Creative MuVo MP3 player
Dazzle* 6-in-1 USB1.1 reader with a 1GB IBM Microdrive in the CF slot
Edigital Odyssey 1000 MP3 Player with 20gb HDD
Elephant USB Thumb Drive
Geek Squad USB Flash Drive 256mb, 128mb
Hama "Flash Pen" 256 MB stick
HP Photosmart 120 Digital Camera with 256MB Compact Flash
iAudio M3(L)
imation USB Swivel 32MB drive
Impact 128mb
IOData EasyDisk Pt
IOdata HDA-iU160/120M
Iomega Mini 128Mb flash Drive
iomega USB-Powered ZIP 100 MB disk drive (FAT-formatted disk should be inserted.)
iRiver H320
iriver IHP-120
JNC SSF-502 256mb MP3 Player
Kanguru Micro Drive 256MB
Kingmax USB 2.0 128 MB flash drive
Kingston Data Traveller USB Pen Drive
Lexar Media/Jumpdrive /Elite USB Key 128Mb, 512Mb
MediaGear7-in-1USB2.0 memory card reader w/ PQI 256mb Hi-Speed Compact Flash
Medion USB-stick (USB 2.0) 128 MB
Memorex 256mb
Micro Advantage QuickiDrive QD64
MicroTech ZiO! CF card reader
Minolta Dimage F200,G400
Muller 512 unbranded MP3 player
Mycom 2,5" USB HD
Nikon Coolpix 4500 and 5400, 2200
Olympus any digital camera with USB cable
Oregon Scientific 256mg MP100 Mp3 player
Packerd Bell Audiokey
Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (digital camera) with Secure Digital (SD) card
PEAK usb 2.0 128 mb stick
Play.com USB 2.0 Flash Drive 256mb
Plextor PlexFlash (PX-F256)
PNY 256MB
PQI 512MB USB2.0 Travelling Disk
PQI I-Stick 2.0 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive BD01-1033-0121
Pretec IDisk Tiny 256MB
Qware digital MP3 Player 256Mb
rca lyra rd2840
samsung yepp YP-T5 mp3 player
Samsung YH-920 Hard Disk MP3 Player
SanDisk Cruzer Micro 256mb 128Mb USB Flash Drive
SanDisk Digital Audio Player 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB
SanDisk ImageMate Model No. SDDR-75
Seitec 1gb USB Memory Stick
SeiTec Memory Bar 256 Mb USB 2.0
SilverPearl MicroX USB 2.0 1024 MB
SimpleTech USB2.0 256MB Flash Drive
Smart Media Card Reader SIIG US2260
Sony Micro Vault
Sony Mini Vault 128mb USM128
Sony Mini Vault 256mb USM256 and USM256A
Sony Pocket Bit USB memory
Soyo Cigar Pro 2 512MB USB 2.0
Sweex USB 2.0 Memory Pen 128 MB
TGE USB Mass Storage Controller 64mb
Tiny Disk 128mb
TrekStor USB MusicStick 150
ZOLL 128mb Flash Drive

Q. Can I transfer videos from the memory card to the computer?
A. You will need to purchase a device, such as an AR MAX, Xport, or Sharkport. You can then transfer memory card files to the computer and swap with others who have the same device. This does not allow you to view replays on the computer.

Q. How can I get videos of the game onto the computer?
A. You will need to buy a video capture card for your computer and hook your PS2 to the computer in order to capture video.

Or, you can also purchase a Dazzle for around $40.00. This device can record videos from a PS2, X-Box, Camcorder, VCR and more. (Thanks to CAMAROBOY69)

Q. How do I take photos of a car on the track?
A. Select any of the circuits and select the "Photo Drive" option which is labeled with a camera. Drive through the track and watch the replay. At any time, you may press select to enter the photo mode.

Q. How do I take photos of multiple cars?
A. During ANY race, save your replay. Once you have saved the replay, enter Replay Theater and watch the replay. At any time during the replay, you may press select to enter photo mode.

Q. I've seen 4 or 5 cars parked on the track for a photo shoot. How do I do this?
A. Any photo you see of multiple cars posing has been photoshopped.

Q. How do I take backfire photos?
A. In order to achieve backfire photos, you will have to time it. There is no trick to it. Backfires will only occur when downshifting and temporarily hitting redline. Cars that are midly to highly tuned are more likely to backfire.

Q. Can I fast-forward or re-wind the replay?
A. You can only fast-forward the replay by pressing down on the left analog stick. Press it again to stop fast-forwarding.

Q. How do I use the photo mode once I enter it while watching a replay?
A. The following is a quick summary of the button operations to change the photo settings (sorry if the terms aren't technical) :

Pressing Up or Down on the D-Pad will move the camera angle straight up or down.

Pressing Up or Down on Left Analog Stick will zoom the camera closer or farther.

Pressing Left or Right on the D-Pad changes the camera view from the possible 64 angles.

Pressing Left or Right on the Right Analog Stick changes the camera view from left to right.

Pressing Square will perform an auto focus on the object that is placed in the center marker of the screen.

Pressing Triangle changes the color style of the picture.

Pressing Circle changes the camera view from horizontal to vertical.

Pressing X snaps the photograph.

Holding down L1 while pressing Up or Down will change the contrast - Up makes the photo brighter, while Down will make the photo darker.

Holding down L2 while pressing Up or Down will change the camera filter - Up makes it more blue, while Down makes it more orange.

Holding down R1 while pressing Up or Down will change the focus - Up makes the photo clearer, Down makes the photo more blurry.

Holding down R2 while pressing Up or Down will change the shutter speed of the camera - Up makes the shutter speed faster, while Down makes the shutter speed slower. A faster shutter speed will capture fast moving objects clearer, while using a slower shutter speed will create a blurred effect.

Hope this helps answer some of the basic questions :)

Dammit, this is what happens when you have too many windows open. Didn't mean to post in the Photomode Competition section. Can a mod move this to the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries forum? Or should I just re-post it? Sorry :nervous:

*Edit* Nevermind, found out I could move it myself ...

DRT2RM
Dammit, this is what happens when you have too many windows open. Can a mod move this to the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries forum? Or should I just re-post it? Sorry :nervous:
You can move it yourself. Just go down in the lower left hand corner, and in the Admin options box select Move/Copy thread.

Great information here by the way. :)

Slick6
You can move it yourself. Just go down in the lower left hand corner, and in the Admin options box select Move/Copy thread.

Great information here by the way. :)
Oooh, thanks! I never knew you could do that :D Learn something new everyday :)

You should add one more thing to your Q and A
A. You will need to buy a video capture card for your computer and hook your PS2 to the computer in order to capture video.
B. You can also purchase a Dazzle and its around $40.00. This can record videos from PS2, X-box, camcorder, VCR and more
The rest looks great. Im sure it will become a sticky.

CAMAROBOY69
You should add one more thing to your Q and A
B. You can also purchase a Dazzle and its around $40.00. This can record videos from PS2, X-box, camcorder, VCR and more
The rest looks great. Im sure it will become a sticky.
Thanks for the tip. I've added it to the answer :)

DRT2RM
Q. I've seen 4 or 5 cars parked on the track for a photo shoot. How do I do this?
A. Any photo you see of multiple cars posing has been photoshopped.

There is another way to do this (unless I'm wrong in my guess) but my idea would be to i-Link 6 PS2's and you could save the replay and used that, right? I only have 1 friend with a PS2 so I wouldn't know if this accually works or not, but I'd be damn surprised if it doesn't.

linkinevo
There is another way to do this (unless I'm wrong in my guess) but my idea would be to i-Link 6 PS2's and you could save the replay and used that, right? I only have 1 friend with a PS2 so I wouldn't know if this accually works or not, but I'd be damn surprised if it doesn't.
Well, you can't save 2P battle replays, so I assumed that you can't save replays from LAN races. Could be wrong though .... if anyone knows, please let me know and I'll add it to the list :)

Back