Gt4 [injury]

You never believe people when they say your playing to much PS2, but as of yesterday i am a believer.

My left hand had slowly become weak when writing or trying to put my fork into my piece of steak so i decided to take a trip to the physiotherapist.

I came home from my visit to the physio to tell my mates that i had a strained tendon in my thumb caused by playing to much GT4. I couldn't believe it and the worst thing now is that i have to stop playing for 2 weeks to see if it heals properly. The guy even asked me what game i was playing and when i told him GT4 he smiled and said he had seen another case of this a few weeks ago.

I still use B-Spec though.

Has anyone else experienced any PS2 related injuries or am i just unlucky?

I actually ended up with pain in my shoulder after playing Project Gotham 2 when I first got it. It was to do with my hunching forward in my seat when playing. But am happy to report, no such injuries on GT4 :-) I think it is because I spend time sitting back in my seat, changing settings or letting the B-spec take over.

Seriously though, get well soon.

I actually have a well documented case of tendonitis from running the Tokyo Enduro in GT3 far too many times.

You'll find a few others develop similar issues.

AO

1600_GT_Sleeka
You never believe people when they say your playing to much PS2, but as of yesterday i am a believer.

My left hand had slowly become weak when writing or trying to put my fork into my piece of steak so i decided to take a trip to the physiotherapist.

I came home from my visit to the physio to tell my mates that i had a strained tendon in my thumb caused by playing to much GT4. I couldn't believe it and the worst thing now is that i have to stop playing for 2 weeks to see if it heals properly. The guy even asked me what game i was playing and when i told him GT4 he smiled and said he had seen another case of this a few weeks ago.

I've experienced inflammation of the tendon in my right thumb due to playing too much gta:SA ... It took me at least two months to get rid of the pain... And it's still not fully recovered.

this also happend to me, yet i was playing on f1 2003 at the time but i was using the analoge stick, my thumb got to the point where i could not move it so i decided to stop was like this for about 8 hours then it was ok, but now on all my games, (including the amazing gt4) i use the directional buttons as i find u dnt have to stretch your thumb thus not pulling/puttin stress on your thumb muscle as much. :)

I've had similar problems from playing my guitar, playing video games and typing at a keyboard a lot. I actually found some hand exercises that I do fairly frequently that seem to help a lot.

Rob GT
I've had similar problems from playing my guitar, playing video games and typing at a keyboard a lot. I actually found some hand exercises that I do fairly frequently that seem to help a lot.

What do you expect...

Doing more than one thing at the same time is bound to cause you injury!!!!

C.

I hope these injuries aren't an age issue. The only problem I have ever had is when I stopped playing games for thingslike Finals, moving, etc and the callous would go away. When I started playing again my thumbs would get sore temporarily.

I hope that I am not at risk of stress injuries. I mean, I am almost 26 years old and I can't remember a day without a video game of some sort. Fom Atari to Commodore to Macs to IBMs to Nintendo, they were always there and I was always playing them. I was born in time to play Pong and have grown up with the gaming industry ever since.

I would like to believe that this lifelong experienmce has built a stamina that can withstand the stress of long hours of gameplay but these stories make me wonder. So, how long before we hear about a report on Gamitis or Gamer's Thumb or Gameritis or Gamer's Tendon or Gamer's Wrist? Have we considered the longterm effects? Is great hand-eye coordination and hours of fun worth it? 💡

YES!!! :cheers: 👍 👍 👍

1600_GT_Sleeka

Mine was (still "is" I should say) tendonitis (right forearm, particularly on the wrist).
I've always been using a DS2.
I'm wondering why PD did not put a save feature during the longest runs ; you can't alternate 8hr of gameplay session to 2 days of stop !
(pls don't tell me b-spec is the solution ; I know for sure other racing games have this feature !).
You're not unlucky ; you're just GT addict as many other people are !
Good luck !

Still, I Have Rather Strong Wrists, From gripping Piping and such in my day jobs,
Also strengthin my wrists from Loads of tennis & I Take Throwins For My County team, beacuse, my throwins are 20 + yards so it helps when the ball needs to get up there,

But yeah, My Thumb Tendon Is Torn, Was Agrriviated from Gt4, was weak then i fell over next day, and left me Virtually With No use of my thumb.

1600_GT_Sleeka

My left hand had slowly become weak....

That happened to me a couple days ago but it only took a day for it to return to normal. Driving the Prius on the 'ring does that.

Integrafan
Get the DFP!!!! :D
I use the DF (not pro) without the pedals. Brake and gas on the paddles. I get a pretty good case of arthritis-like pain in the knuckles of my left hand, from hard braking (I know it doesn't make any difference how hard you "press" the brake, but tell my brain that...) and some wrist pain from holding the accelerator paddles down for long periods in the same position. So the pain is not only from the DS2. I've learned to take breaks every so often and stretch the hands. Hope it doesn't get worse... wouldn't want to give up GT4!

I played GPL every night for a month. By the end I had quite a lot of pain in my right leg and shoulder. Dread to think what damage I would have done with a joypad!

I am experiencing problems with my left hand little finger, and I am using the DFP... at first I thought it was this crappy MS Bluetooth keyboard, but once I stopped playing...

I should look in detail how I am stressing my finger! perhaps I should change the ergonomics of my setup...

i jst got a stiff thumb now which clicks every time i bend it lol But the worst game has to be Rugby 2002 when u use the d pad for pushing in the scrum my thumb gets wasted after playin a few matches :(

I injured my face playing GT4 last week. I was playing it, and my gf climbed on me and tried to be all cute so i'd stop playing and pay attention to her, but she was blockin my view for the F1 series race I was in, so I pushed her off and tried to hit pause, and thats when she slapped me. Made my cheek red for the rest of the day. I told her when I got the game though, its not that I like GT4 more than her, its just that I like GT4 more than her, thats all. :)

If any game is going to damage your thumb I would have to say it will be Gauntlet or the Devil May Cry series(brutal on your thumbs especially Devil May Cry 3)
For the record. My thumb and hands quit hurting once I started using the analog stick instead of the dreaded X button while playing the GT series. I could not even imagine another endurance race with the X button. No way!!
I only get eye pains and headaches once in a while. My last headache was when I played NFSU2 for 14 hours straight.

foolkiller79
I hope that I am not at risk of stress injuries. I mean, I am almost 26 years old and I can't remember a day without a video game of some sort. Fom Atari to Commodore to Macs to IBMs to Nintendo, they were always there and I was always playing them. I was born in time to play Pong and have grown up with the gaming industry ever since.

Pong came out in 1975/6, you were born in 1979 (if you are 26), now playing a video game 3 to 4 years before you were born is just asking for injury, how did you manage it.

LOL :)

I'm surprised there hasn't been many injuries caused by girlfriend/boyfriend/flatmates. I know I'm driving my girlfriend and flatmate MAD with GT4. A friend of mine has banned me from talking about it, or emailing him photos, hahaha, Well he hasn't purchased a copy yet!

Surprised none of them have injured me yet...
Luckily GTA:SA hardened me up before GT4, so my thumbs where all TUNED for it.

The only injury GT4 has given me is a shard of controller R1 button stuck into my finger.

Was my own fault. GT4 + slight lead + mistake + anger + throwing = bad combination.

Yet another controller ive destroyed lol

Oh i do seem to get a pain in my hip as when my chair gets uncomfortable i sit on the floor with my legs crossed and it gets a bit stiff after about 2-3 hours of being in that position.

Years ago I had an operation on my right wrist, so now I find that if I play for a long time my wrist aches from gripping the DS2.
Despite all my years of playing the skin under the knuckle of my right thumb still gets a bit sore tender. Wish I had those hard core gamer callous' :)

Well a couple of years ago when I got GTA: Vice City I noticed my thumbs and parts of my fingers were starting to shrivel up and flake due to the X and left analogue stick, it eventually ended up that just touching my thumbs was giving me a lot of pain. So I went to the doctor and it turned out I had some sort of skin condition, he prescibed me some special medicated cream to rub on my fingers and after about 3 or 4 months my fingers had all but healed and I haven't had a problem since. 👍

Back