Yellowbird drifting @ Nurburgring

• Thread starter Glubags
  • 27 comments
Yeah, I did this a couple months ago.

I didn't make it with drifting in mind, though... it's simply unavoidable when trying to attack the Nurb with no aids in that car. I'm working on another video that's drift-specific... should be pretty good. :D

that deserves something...
like a trophy...
or a coupon for free stuff...
👍 :cheers:
you got enough skillz that i have to spell skillz with a "z" to show how much skillz you have.

Glubags
Hey guys... first post here. This is an old video, but I saw that this site has a forum specifically for drifting videos, so I thought this would fit.

One full lap at Nurb, stock Yellowbird, sport softs, no driving aids, peppered with high speed drifting... enjoy. (26 MB)[/URL]

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here, Glubags!

Your vid is very, very good stuff... especially the first left hander, the Hatzenbach entry and the left-right after the Fuchsröhre are perfect. Plus, a 7:19 lap on a stock Yellow Bird is not too shabby too. I felt almost relieved when I saw you left the road a couple times! :)

Anyway, keep the good stuff coming. Is there a HighRes version of your vid?

P.S.: Seen those reallife Nurb-Yellowbird-inboard-drift-vids? Google: »lap1.wmv«

Mr. Apex
Anyway, keep the good stuff coming. Is there a HighRes version of your vid?

P.S.: Seen those reallife Nurb-Yellowbird-inboard-drift-vids? Google: »lap1.wmv«

Thanks. :)

There isn't a high-res version now, but I could always recapture and make one. It'd be an enormous file, unless you could point me in the direction of some good codecs (I'm not a big fan of DivX).

And yes, that video of Stefan Roser was this video's inspiration.

HHmmm......I'll keep this video link in mymind till I come home and download it....

sounds like good stuf so far:tup:
I can only 'drift' on the N'ring with FF:irked: the others slide off the track more easily, while FF can only make small slides:P

PLEASE NO DISCUSSION ON WHETHER IT'S DRIFTNG OR NOT (FF)!!:scared:

Glubags
Hey guys... first post here. This is an old video, but I saw that this site has a forum specifically for drifting videos, so I thought this would fit.

One full lap at Nurb, stock Yellowbird, sport softs, no driving aids, peppered with high speed drifting... enjoy. (26 MB)

Hey man, this is exellent stuff!! 👍 I drive very often with the Yellow bird, but i could never pull of that high speed drifts like you do.. Are u using a DFP wheel, i am using a DF, so i don't know is it because of the wheel or what, but i can't recover when he slide in high speed, i end up in the wall, or the grass.. So what's your secret... share with us, i am very eager to know how you drive like that.. 👍

Glubags
There isn't a high-res version now, but I could always recapture and make one. It'd be an enormous file, unless you could point me in the direction of some good codecs (I'm not a big fan of DivX).
I personally think that MP4 is pretty efficient... I've seen very small files with a crystal clear full-screen picture nonetheless (no compression artifacts). You might try the 3ivx Filter Suite to create and playback MP4 files (free D/L limited to 50 encodes or 30 days). www.3ivx.com/
MP4 is playable by newer QT, VLC and WMV(?) versions, I think.

Edit: Of course I don't have a clue what hardware, platform and software you use, so...

Glubags
And yes, that video of Stefan Roser was this video's inspiration.
I knew it! :) That guy can work a steering wheel... I like his technique... very solid.

Boris Lozac
Hey man, this is exellent stuff!! 👍 I drive very often with the Yellow bird, but i could never pull of that high speed drifts like you do.. Are u using a DFP wheel, i am using a DF, so i don't know is it because of the wheel or what, but i can't recover when he slide in high speed, i end up in the wall, or the grass.. So what's your secret... share with us, i am very eager to know how you drive like that.. 👍
Thanks. :) Yeah, I'm using a DFP, but there's no real secret... just plenty of practice with the 'Bird (and other RR cars) to learn how they react. For instance, they get VERY squirrelly if you lift off of the throttle while turning, so try to keep your throttle consistent through turns--otherwise, be prepared to countersteer immediately. Learning as many details as possible about how the car behaves is the only way to become a better driver beyond mere practice.

Mr. Apex
I personally think that MP4 is pretty efficient... I've seen very small files with a crystal clear full-screen picture (no compression artifacts visible). You might try the 3ivx Filter Suite to create and playback MP4 files (free D/L limited to 50 encodes or 30 days). www.3ivx.com/
MP4 is playable by newer QT, VLC and WMV versions (I think...).
Thank you! :D I was having problems with the MP4 compression, but I messed around with it and I can get pretty crisp 640x480 video (even after wmv compression) with nearly the same file size as my previous 320x240 videos. :D

Glubags
Thank you! :D I was having problems with the MP4 compression, but I messed around with it and I can get pretty crisp 640x480 video (even after wmv compression) with nearly the same file size as my previous 320x240 videos. :D
Great! :dopey:
Can't wait for your next vid, then. We want more... :)

Edit: You're kind of quick with that wheel... I would've guessed that your vid was made with a DS2. May I ask if you are eventually using the hidden 200° mode on your DFP? :confused:

Mr. Apex
Edit: You're kind of quick with that wheel... I would've guessed that your vid was made with a DS2. May I ask if you are eventually using the hidden 200° mode on your DFP? :confused:
Yeah, I'm using the 200° mode. I don't yet have a stand sturdy enough for torquing the wheel around at the speed required for tighter drifts and links in 900° mode. I can do long, sweeping drifts just fine due to the lack of major countersteering, but anything more and this partially constructed book case I'm using can't handle the lateral wobble.

Pic 1
Pic 2

It's a black Sauder bookcase, only $29 at Office Depot or any other office furniture store. The middle shelf works perfectly for the pedals; I've got it resting against my desk. It works great for racing, but not so well for hard drifts. Yet.

I'm going to brace all of the corners soon with these, so I'm hoping that will take care of it.

As for next video... working on it. :D

Glubags
…black Sauder bookcase…
That's a pretty clean job. Want to build something like that for quite some time now.
The problem is that I've seen all those pictures flying around in the forums so now I'm dreaming of a bucket seat and one of these aluminium things to mount my DFP on... stuff looks like there won't be any wobble at all... :dopey:

Edit: I know they're expensive, but I think it should be possible to build something very close to that from standard extruded aluminium profiles.

Attachments

• aluminium.jpg
    aluminium.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 52
Sarunas J.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: There's a 200 mode in GT4?????????:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

how do you turn it on???????
There's a hidden 200° mode in the Logitech Driving Force Pro (DFP) steering wheel, to be precise.

- 900 Degree Mode:
SELECT + R3 + RIGHT PADDLE

- 100% Force Feedback mode:
SELECT + R3 + LEFT PADDLE

Check the DFP Thread for additional information. Oh, and you might want to try the GTP search button for this kind of stuff next time… :cool:

Mr. Apex
There's a hidden 200° mode in the Logitech Driving Force Pro (DFP) steering wheel, to be precise.

- 900 Degree Mode:
SELECT + R3 + RIGHT PADDLE

- 100% Force Feedback mode:
SELECT + R3 + LEFT PADDLE

Check the DFP Thread for additional information. Oh, and you might want to try the GTP search button for this kind of stuff next time… :cool:

I tried the search but didn't find what i loooked for. You didn't quite tell me how to switch to 200 mode:guilty: pls someone tell me!!!

Sarunas J.
I tried the search but didn't find what i loooked for. You didn't quite tell me how to switch to 200 mode:guilty: pls someone tell me!!!
Press SELECT + R3 + RIGHT PADDLE on your DFP to toggle between 900° and 200°, o.k.? I hope that was clear enough.

And press SELECT + R3 + LEFT PADDLE on your DFP to toggle between hella-strong-Force-Feedback-Mode and very-very-light-Force-Feedback-Mode. This is useful because there is often too much Force Feedback in 200° mode, causing the wheel to tremble on bumpy straightaways (like the döttinger Höhe, for Example).
Try it out.

Edit: Did it work yet? :confused:

How big is the difference between driving that car on the 'Ring with DFP and DS2? I tried with the DS2 and ended up totally frustrated... :banghead:

Greycap
How big is the difference between driving that car on the 'Ring with DFP and DS2? I tried with the DS2 and ended up totally frustrated... :banghead:
That car? Which car? You mean the RUF yellowbird? It's heaven. GT4 without DFP ain't really GT4.

(Applying the right amount of opposite lock in 900° mode takes some practice though, even when you are already drifting through finnish forests in real life for years)

The RUF yellowbird really rubs it in that "gripping" through a turn isnt always the fastest way. on some turns it is faster with the yellowbird to powerslide through, like hairpins and 2nd gear corners. On fugi speedway you will lose at least a half a second of time if you dont powerslide through a few turns because your turbo will lose power from lifting off too much.

I know this is mostly about the nurburgring but how fast can u guys get around Fuji 90's with N3 tires? I've managed a 1'34.970 driving using techniques i thought were the fastest. But if i drive without letting the tail slide at all its hard to get a 1'37

i've got a big strong steel/wood computer desk so i can use 900 mode and whe wheel hardly ever comes off if its secured tightly. 👍

Gabkicks
The RUF yellowbird really rubs it in that "gripping" through a turn isnt always the fastest way. on some turns it is faster with the yellowbird to powerslide through, like hairpins and 2nd gear corners. On fugi speedway you will lose at least a half a second of time if you dont powerslide through a few turns because your turbo will lose power from lifting off too much.

I know this is mostly about the nurburgring but how fast can u guys get around Fuji 90's with N3 tires? I've managed a 1'34.970 driving using techniques i thought were the fastest. But if i drive without letting the tail slide at all its hard to get a 1'37

i've got a big strong steel/wood computer desk so i can use 900 mode and whe wheel hardly ever comes off if its secured tightly. 👍

All righty...
Fuji 90's, Stock Yellowbird, N3's, with DFP. I have a PAL version, hope that doesn't make a difference. (Arcade Mode, I guess? 'Cause my very own Yellowbird is heavily modded). I'm not one of the fastest in this forum, but I'll have a go tonight when I get home.

Hope we are not getting too far offtopic here... :D

EDIT: Hey Gabkicks
I mounted my DFP to the living room table last night and did about 20 laps. Best I could do was a 1'33.279, but it was getting late and the lap I was looking for didn't quite come together. I must have another try this week. But I gotta say the car is way less oversteery on this track (compared to the bumpy nordschleife), instead it is quite fast, very poised, and seldom tortures you with understeer. The only spot where I was going sideways everytime was this long, tightening righthander* You lift off, the tail goes wide, and you end up heading just the right way ...

561066_20040924_screen206.sized.jpg

_______________________________________________/|\
______________________________________________/ | \
________________________________________* this one right here

Small_Fryz
What tyres did you use?

N3's (Sport Softs), everything stock (as requested by Gabkicks). But remember, this is the drift forum... :scared:

I guess there are at least 30 GTP members who would go below 1:30 minutes. Some people around here are ridiculously fast...

Back