Karma Chameleon
Staff Emeritus
Philippines
Philippines
Sport Compact Shoot-out
Crowded House: The Sub-200 Club

export5zj.jpg

This image is a placeholder, more pics are coming by the end of the week
Alfa Romeo 147, BMW 120i, Ford Focus ST170, Hyundai Tiburon, Lexus IS200, Mazda Protégé, Mini Cooper S, Peugeot 206RC,
Pontiac Sunfire, Renault Clio, SEAT Ibiza, Toyota Corolla

Road&Trek

It’s been a quiet few weeks here at R&T since the Japanese bash. In between bouts of tuning our new R32 Skyline, (yes, we’re cheap bastards, and no, we couldn’t afford an R33 anyway...) we’ve been busy on the phone calling up some friends. During our stint in Japan and Europe, and getting to know some righteous Japanese and German tuners, we’ve become concerned about the fractuous nature of the tuning crowd. Namely, everybody has a natural hate for everyone else’s ride. This would be okay if the other guy’s car was a lemon, but we’re talking about some quality cars here getting the stink-eye for being *gasp* foreign.

We don’t encourage Automotive Racism here at Road&Trek. We feel each car deserves judgment on its own merit, and not the color of its build sheet. The question we’re trying to answer: Which is the BEST? At stake here are bragging rights, freedom from derision, and every boy-racer and tuner in the world beating on our front door and demanding a recount.

Bob and I sat down and drew a short-list of cars we would include in this category. As soon as Bob saw how few domestics were in this category, he left to get a burger and a beer. I sat with the list till the end of the day, and submitted it to Ed the next morning. His first reaction was something like: “Holy heck, that’s a lot of cars.” His second was: “We’ve got to do this in parts. There’s no way we can fit this all into one article.”

And his third? “Hope you feel like eating Bratwürst for a week, I feel the need for a European Tour coming on.” I couldn’t argue with that. The thought of another all-expense paid trip to Germany was just too good to resist.

A few calls to Rachelle Anne (still our favorite travel agent), Polyphony Digital, and to a couple of new friends in the UK and Germany and we had around three dozen cars lined up for this test. We were thrilled, but a knot was forming in my stomach. As resident hot-foot, I would be stuck driving everything, whether I liked it or not. Needless to say, I packed a lot of antacids and motion-sickness medication in my bags before we left for Germany.

Back at the Nürburgring

First day at the track, and we’re awed by the number of cars we’ve got. We have a bunch of Focuses (Focii, you dolt -Ed), Minis and JDM Machines (Hondas and Toyotas, mostly) driven in cross-country by our friends at McKensie Motors in the UK (you guys are awesome). We have a collection of some of the fastest German metal from the locals around the track. A bunch of French and American cars were sitting in car carriers (“packed into that trailer like freedom fries, they are”, Bob muttered... didn’t know he was paying attention -Ed) sent by PD-Europe. And lastly, there was us, sitting around the brace of Alfas we picked up from the PD handler at the airport. Lovely cars to drive around, especially with the scenery around the track.

Since many of these cars were driven here, all of them were on street tires. To ensure fair testing, as a number of privately owned vehicles were on non-stock rubber, PD provided us with top-of-the-line road tires (N3s) for our testing.

After much discussion with the PD Handlers, the local ‘ring rats, and the McKensie crew, we divided the cars into three running groups: the Sub-200 Class, the 200-Class and the Super Sport Compacts. Thus prepared, we fired up the engines, and strapped ourselves in for what turned out to be week full of burned rubber, scratched paint, grass skidmarks, and in one case, crumpled Armco and a dazed (but unhurt) tester.

The Sub-200 Class

These are hot hatches and sports compacts that are fast, but not quite as powerful as the best in the class. We’ve set the entry-level at 147 to include some nice handling compacts, and topped it at 190, to exclude cars “pegged” at 197. There are subcompacts that fit in this class, but we’re reserving them for a separate comparison. Everything here is a “full-sized” compact, at under 14 ½ feet (4.4 meters or so, metric -Ed) in length, except for some domestics, as anything under 16 feet is a compact by American standards, apparently. We would've set a maximum weight, but nearly every German compact was above the weight limit we wanted.

We’ve got some oddballs in here, like the BMW 120i, the Lexus IS200 and the Pontiac Sunfire Concept. Though the Sunfire Concept never made production, this showcar is attainable by any Sunfire/Cavalier enthusiast with a bit of cash and a yearning for something better. How much better? Read on to find out.

12th - Pontiac Sunfire GXP
Lap Time: 9:07.670
Time Differential From Fastest car: +22.512

Packing a 2.0 liter supercharged Ecotec, as opposed to the naturally aspirated and uninspiring 2.2 in the regular Sunfire, and weighing in at merely 1.2 tons (hey, that’s light for a domestic. -Ed), the GXP ought to be competitive with this group. Wider tires on 17” wheels, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and a nice body kit further add to the enthusiast appeal. So is it hot?

Unfortunately, no.

The Sunfire tracks true but it’s not very nimble. It’s considerably slower than the Protege in turns, and the Protege is a four-door econobox, for Christ’s sake. An automatic gearbox (Four-on-the-floor, the old fashioned way -Ed) reluctant to downshift hurts performance in turns, though part of that is rectified by the low-range grunt (190 ft-lbs of it, best in test) of that supercharged engine. What the supercharger doesn’t do, is deliver high-end power. The Ecotec has a ridiculously low redline, and runs out of steam at high rpms.

On the uphill lug at Kesselchen, I found, to my horror, that the car was slowing down because the engine couldn’t keep it at a steady 100mph (160 km/h, again metric -Ed) in fourth gear. I had to kick the throttle once or twice to get it to downshift, but the damage was done, I’d lost the pace to keep up with the Mazda in front of me. What was more humiliating was that the Protégé was being driven by Ed, and it was an automatic, too.

This is one big turd. Not nearly as quick as the much heavier and less powerful Hyundai Tiburon, nor much of a match for the four door Protege in the turns or on the straight. It’s a dressed up turd, but who it’ll appeal to, God knows.

P.S.: We’ve discovered one good use for this car. It makes the Corolla RunX look like a rip-snorting sports car by comparison.

11th - Toyota Corolla RunX AeroTourer | 9:00.066 | +14.908

Not as nimble as it ought to be, and disappointingly slow, given its 190 hp. Part of that can be blamed on a terribly peaky engine, that doesn’t pull very hard until the “hot” cams kick in, and a front suspension geometry that turns that doesn’t deliver that power very well. In the rear, that beam axle really bites, and stiff springs and tuning can’t make up for a suspension designed primarily to save space and pennies. A tall and space-efficient body can’t help much, either, but at least it’s light for its size.

On the positive side, the Corolla tracks true, and the engine is terrific once you’ve gotten past that first 6000 rpms. Honda has long since come to grips with the dual nature of its VTEC engines, adding more displacement, torque and useability to every generation of VTEC engines. Its current K-series rarely suffers from the flatness inherent in the B-series engines when operating below the VTEC-cut in. Toyota’s 1ZZ, though, suffers even more from peakiness than even the previous generation Honda B-engines. The closest comparison I can think of is the Nissan Pulsar VZ-R I had occasion to drive back in the 90’s, whose extremely high redline (around 11,000 rpm, as I recall, I didn't like that one either -Ed) made its power mostly inaccessible.

On paper and in price, the Corolla is a prime competitor in the hot-hatch market. But on the road, it doesn’t even compare. On a brighter note, if you’re planning to get one (likely in T-Sport or Matrix trim in Europe and the US), it’ll fit all your groceries, and it’ll last forever... unlucky you.

10th - Lexus IS200 | 8:58.939 | +13.781

Another car ruined by a bad transmission. The IS200 has a zingy 2 liter straight six with a heady redline, but a long 1st to 2nd gearchange (1st tops out near 80 km/h!!!) makes negotiating slow corners a little tricky, and the transmission is very reluctant to downshift. Once up to speed, though, the IS200 is a quick car, despite being heavier than most cars here.

One problem with the IS200 is a soft set-up that allows too much roll and understeer. It’s not as pointy as the BMW, and seemingly not even as pointy as the Cooper or the Clio. Also, when the IS200 transitions into oversteer (relatively easy, given the modest rubber -Ed), the car slows (seemingly) to a crawl. Strict adherence to the racing line is required to keep the pace up, and too much or too little speed or angle carried into any turn will slow you down drastically. At 8/10ths, the IS200 is a good handler, at 10/10ths, it’s just too soft. That the automatic gearbox holds on to high gears too long just adds injury to insult.

It’s a good instrument to learn precision, but since when was that fun?

In terms of “sports compacts”, the IS200 is average. In terms of “sports sedans” (It was designed as a 3-series competitor), it’s woefully inadequate.

9th - Mazda Protégé Sport 20 | 9:01.340 | +16.182

Handicapped with a gearbox that doesn’t seem well matched to the engine’s powerband, the Protege offers drivers the consolation of allowing them to row through the gears via Mazda’s “Activematic” system. Down low, the high revving 2.0 feels much more sluggish than the MP3 version we get here, and has little torque compared to more modern 2 liters. But once past 120 km/h, it pulls much more strongly.

Even with a lighter body and 25-35hp more power than export versions, the power-to-weight ratio of this car doesn’t really reflect in its performance down the straights, and we suspect a full 20hp of that power is only available in the last 500 rpm, not that you’re likely to see it often with the extremely tall gears. The engine also seems curiously reluctant to rev, despite its high redline. You learn to force it to hold a few more revs than it likes, merely to keep it close to the powerband in the next gear. The best lap times came by making sure the speedometer needle never dropped below 75 km/h, as first gear tops out at 65, and second (which is enormously loooooong, reaching 130km/h) doesn’t give much acceleration until you’re well past 80 km/h.

The handling is precise and nimble, beset with moderate but well controlled understeer due to the relatively long wheelbase (compared to the hatches here) and the slightly wider rear track, which gives it exceptional stability. The Protege drives extremely well for a five-seater, but can’t compete in this segment for want of a better engine and gearbox. That it’s quicker than the Corolla in turns is telling, and a testament to the wonderful multi-link suspension in the Mazda. This car actually handles as well as or better than the previous generation Civic Si, but doesn’t quite cut it in the engine department. The Corolla only wins the race with the Protege, actually, by passing it halfway down the long home straight. If the race had ended at the start of that straight, the Mazda would be at least two seconds ahead... an eternity on the track.

Overall, this is a good handling car that’s showing the age of its underpinnings, both in terms of chassis and drivetrain. The American market MazdaSpeed Protégé, with its turbo 2-liter, stiffer suspension and grippier rubber would do better against this crowd, and would have probably been able to break into the top five.

8th - Tiburon | 8:48.914 | +3.756

We’ve reviewed this car before, so we don’t have much to say about it. It’s a lot like the Mazda Protégé in driving feel, steering accurately but giving in to understeer a little more than some of the hot hatches here. It’s not as fast as the light-weights, but pretty quick on a straight piece of road. It’s got a better high end than the Cooper, for one. This allows it to pull itself a bit closer to the hot hatches on the home straight. The torquey V6 is a good powerplant, barking gruffly and pulling hard, but should be capable of much more, considering its size. The weight of the 2-liter in the base version makes the handling balance a little better without sacrificing much in terms of on-paper power, but the V6 definitely has a lot more shove on the highway. It's a nice cruiser and a decent performer on track, to boot. Like the Protege, it’s good value for the money, entertaining but safe. That it looks much more special than it actually is, well, that’s a bonus.

7th - Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twinspark | 9:08.994 | +23.836

A little underpowered for this contest, the 147 Twinspark is game enough, with a growly and responsive engine and a good chassis. It rotates entertainingly, and changes direction quickly. As compared to the GTA (which we drove the day after), the Twinspark feels much more nimble, mostly due to the lower mass of the 2.0 over the 3.2 V6 in the uber-147. The Twinspark doesn’t make very much power or torque compared to the others here, not having forced induction or an insane redline, but it produces power in a wide swath, reaching peak torque at under 4000rpm and pulling strongly up to redline. Thanks to this, it feels much faster than it really is.

Alfa’s suspension is spot-on in this application, and is well matched to the engine’s weight and power. It’s not punishing, but it’s not too soft, either. And the weight balance is just perfect. Now if Alfa believed in turbocharging, this would make a much more convincing case of the “ultimate” Alfa than the 147 GTA. At least I think it is! -Ed

The Alfa Twinspark allows you a decent and entertaining thrash at lower speeds than most hot hatches, and it gets our respect for that, even if it is the slowest car out here. The high cost of entry is balanced by a unique, exotic look and BMW-challenging road manners. I prefer the 157-based GT, however, but at over 8,000 Cr. less, the Twinspark is quite a bargain.

6th - Peugeot 206 RC | 8:46.749 | +1.591

Monsters its way into contention with a great engine and an able chassis. With a wide powerband and linear delivery, an oddity for a high output naturally aspirated engine, the 2 liter engine is one of the best sub-200hp NAs around. It propels the 206 very quickly, and can break the tires loose in cornering. The delivery is so progressive, though, that this rarely becomes a problem.

The 206 is stiff and settled, but not as pointy as some of the other cars here, the beam axle out back sees to that. The steering isn’t as quick as it should be, and power-on understeer is greater even than in the more powerful SEAT 1.8T. Overall, a well set-up and quick car, easy to place, but no match for the best in terms of driving feel. It still ranks highly for us because it is a very capable car and much faster than many of the others here.

5th - Ford Focus ST 170 | 8:47.660 | +2.502

The Focus has a well settled suspension, but is soft compared to some of the others here. It impressed us with its good handling feel, and is nimble and stable enough to pull away from a more energetic, torquier and lighter Cooper. The weight dulls the driving sensation, though, and can cause some roll in turns. Aside from that, the suspension is well-thought out and executed, and it suffers less from understeer than most.

The Focus ST is fluid over almost any surface, and is a much easier drive than its superhero brother, the Focus RS. The engine is peaky, but has a decent amount of torque, thus it rarely feels flat, but it doesn’t give the same kick as some of the other engines here. And therein lies its problem, the ST170 is undeniably a very good hot hatch, but it’s just not very stimulating compared to the competition.

Not the definitive hot-hatch, then, but a good midfielder. Lack of entertainment value just lets it down. But better control and feel puts it out just ahead of the slightly faster Peugeot.

4th - SEAT Ibiza Cupra | 8:45.891 | +0.733

Arguably better handling than the 206, and definitely faster, the Ibiza shows us what VW’s turbo 1.8 can do with a light car. It’s illuminating. That grunty 1.8T pulls hard from 2000 rpm to the redline, but the Seat starts running out of steam at high speeds. We figure maybe a little chip juggling or fine-tuning would fix that, and we’re glad to hear that the next Cupra R gets the full 225 factory horses from this unit. There’s life in this old engine yet! In its current state of tune, though, we can’t see the Cupra being embarrassed at the stoplight by your run-of-the-mill VTEC... unless it’s a Type R.

The Cupra handles well and shows very little understeer given its power. Which came as a pleasant surprise to us, as the last FF we’d driven with this engine, the Audi TT 1.8, certainly wasn’t the best handling car we’d ever driven (It wasn’t the worst, either, but we were NOT impressed. -Ed). SEAT apparently does its own suspension tuning and development, even if it does share the basic framework of its cars with other VAG products. Learning this from the VW Handler as we slid the car around the Hatzenbach for the fourth time, we gained a newfound respect for this VW-based car. Damping is great, too, and the SEAT Cupra feels like the kind of hot hatch you can take out any day of the week and on any road.

The fine handling chassis, good body control and great damping make the SEAT a true contender in this category. Not the best, ultimately, but with that 1.8T 20 valve, potentially the fastest.

3rd - BMW 120i | 8:58.200 | +13.042

Initially, we had planned on using the 120d for this comparison, but a quick blast in the 120d back-to-back with this car changed our minds. The 120d may be a technological coup (We would’ve preferred a coupé, but BMW assures us that’s in the works. -Ed) on paper, but in real life, that powerful diesel falls a bit flat. Even the fact that it revs up to 5500 rpm can’t make up for the lack of urge at those engine speeds. BMW may be proud of the fact that it can extract over 160 horses from a 2 liter derv-burner, but the weight penalty associated with turbocharging and reinforcing that engine make it much heavier than the gas version. That the gas version is a terrifically responsive 2.0 liter with a decent amount of torque and a revvy nature does the diesel car no favors.

As far as diesel cars go, it’s a great one. In comparison to everything else here, the 120i is a more competitive choice.

The 120i is quick and nimble in the corners. It’s a refreshing break after driving so many front wheel drivers. It breaks away into controllable oversteer when you push it too hard, but the grunty engine and terrific chassis assure that you won’t lose much speed. Taking the racing line through corners, the little Beemer carries 10-20 kph more speed than even the best FF cars in this group, and maybe 10 kph more than the Altezza. In one of our favorite (read: easiest) turns, the multiple rights before Wehrseifen, the BMW rockets through at speeds that'll have you kissing the outside barriers in any other car. In terms of suspension design, the BMW beats the Lexus hands-down.

Where the 120i loses the plot is in straightline speed. No matter how well BMW disguises the weight of their cars in corners, braking and acceleration were always going to be compromised by the sheer weight of BMW’s default insulation and luxury features. Once on an open road, the BMW’s stablemate, the Mini Cooper S, just pulls steadily away.

With a contentious design, cramped quarters, and too much weight, the 120i doesn’t quite make sense from any point of view. Advice to BMW, lose the rear seats (they’re pretty useless -Ed), forget insulation (when has any enthusiast ever complained about road noise!?! -Ed), and forget the “corporate-identity” candy wrapping (Blech! Okay, I’ll stop now -Ed). With a design closer to Mini than “Mini-BMW” and with about 200 kilograms less weight, the 1-series would be a winner.

Despite all this, we can’t deny that the BMW 120i is an invigorating driving experience, thus the 3rd place finish.

2nd - Mini Cooper S | 8:48.224 | +3.066

BMW proves that it can do front-wheel drive with the best of them. The 3-series sourced Z-link suspension out back and square wheelbase gives the Cooper an amazingly direct turn-in for an FF chassis, and gives it good grip, to boot. This is a balance that many others have tried and have failed to do, as a quick turn-in on an FF car is often accompanied by speed-scrubbing oversteer. Oversteer is something the Cooper can provide, never doubt, but it’s very easy to counter with a dab on the throttle or a flick of the steering.

The Cooper has a little trouble putting the power down, even in non-“Works” trim. Understeer under power is modest, but wheelspin in corners, albeit just slightly more than average, is not something you expect at these low power levels. We can’t help feeling that a little more development on the front suspension or the engine and transmission (which aren’t really up to snuff in the technology race) would make this the best hot-hatch around.

The Mini makes you wonder why BMW bothered with the 1-series. The Mini is better looking, lighter, faster, and just as entertaining to drive as BMW’s new “entry-level” car. And if you’re wondering if it’s entertaining enough without the 200hp ‘Works’ package, trust us, you won’t really miss the extra power. The Cooper S is entertaining enough.

1st - RenaultSport Clio 2.0 16v | 8:45.158 | 0.000

The Clio is a tiny car compared to some of the others here, and it’s by far the lightest in this group. The small size of the Clio and the ridiculously high seating position make you feel naked on the track, but once you’re out there, these concerns seem irrelevant. The Clio is small and nimble, with a decent engine that’s quick to hit the redline matched to a sweet but simple 5 speed stick. Though the relatively puny rubber doesn’t inspire much confidence, it’s more than adequate, and the Clio has no traction or grip problems on either end, even at the limits of adhesion.

The relatively small footprint and wheels-at-the corner attitude make the Clio drive much like the Mini Cooper. Although not exactly as sharp at the turn in (the only noticeable drawback of the Clio’s beam axle configuration -Ed), it’ll rotate much faster mid-corner, and breaking or restoring traction at the rear end is ridiculously easy. That small size also makes the Clio ridiculously easy to thread through complicated sections of the track, making it seem a mile wide in places where you’d have trouble in most other cars. It makes driving even the sharpest of hairpins a piece of cake.

I’d expected this car to be more unsettled than most on the rougher sections of the track, but the Clio is softly sprung, and body motion is well-controlled. It’s amazing what you can do with less weight (Are you listening, BMW? VW? eh? EH? -Ed) to haul around. The engine in the Clio has more torque than any other naturally aspirated 2 liter here, and although the torque peak is high up in the rev range, that torque lies along a nearly flat curve. Power delivery is linear and strong, and shows that you don’t need stratospheric engine speeds to produce power. It’s not as melodious as some, but it’s a great powerplant.

The Clio runs with best of them, and is more than a match for the heavy hitters in the corners, if not on the straightaways. As it is, not many cars with less than 200 horses can outrun it, and it only runs short near the end of fifth gear. It’s not as fast as the 200hp über-hatches in a straight line, but while this may be a liability on the highway, we’re betting that but on a small track, it could probably take names.

Conclusion

The Clio runs away with this comparison, but we’re mightily impressed by the Cooper, the Cupra and the 120i. If price or pace were no object, the Alfa 147 would be up there, too. We each had our favorites on the day. Bob loved the BMW 120i, both in looks and in driving enjoyment. Ed had a soft spot for the little Alfa, and I spent a lot of time getting to know the Protégé. That it didn’t come in very high was due mostly to an uninspiring gearbox, and though I tried every trick in the book to convince Ed and Bob to let me place it higher, they held firm. Okay, being an MP3 owner, I may be biased, but I didn’t abuse my power here.

Every time another driver came in with the Clio or the Cooper, there was a scramble for the keys, The Clio is just unbeatable here, both in terms of driving enjoyment and in outright pace. The Cooper was just plain fun.

With a little more power, and in this FF configuration, the Clio would be a giant killer. Even though the Clio V6 plays the role of super-hatch in Renault’s line-up, the Clio 2.0 is definitely the Frenchie to have. Over the course of the week, we gave our little blue test car the nickname of “Road Runner”. Its big V6 brother got the nickname “Taz”, but that’s a story best reserved for the next installment of this article.

Up next, in Part Two of our comparison, we check out compact class cars with 200 horsepower or more, and we reveal our picks for the Super-Compact Class.

EDITOR'S NOTES

Sorry this is a little unfinished, as I tested the fastest cars first. I also made the mistake of simulating a stock Mazda manual gearbox for the Protégé, and doing two tests with it, one in manual (custom gearbox), and one with the game options set to AT... only to find, to my horror, that the Mazda Sport 20 ONLY CAME IN "Activematic". Had to redo that test. But in full auto, it was still faster than the Sunfire and still faster than the Corolla in MOST turns. In MT mode with a stock gearbox, the Protégé runs away from the Corolla, which only catches up midway down the home straight.

Also, I'd finished writing the last part of this series first, testing the fastest cars (like a kid in a candy store... NO self control). The write-up to that part is completely done. So I was understandably delayed in putting this part up. At least the next one will be posted in short order.

All testing was done here on N3 Tires, with NO driving aids (although TCS is available on some cars, like the BMW and the Audis) and in Manual mode, except for the Sunfire Concept and the Lexus, which were tested in AT. Lap times for these two cars should be about 4-5 seconds faster in manual mode, but those gearboxes are still turds.

Vehicle dynamics on SM tires are slightly different. The Cooper feels much livelier on SMs than it does on N3s, for one, with more sideways action (perplexingly) and everything is much faster. But on the whole, the comparison between vehicles stays mostly the same. Vehicles with poorer cornering performance, though, benefit more from the tire change, as some cars (like the Integra or the Alfa Romeo GT... coming in following installments) drive in much the same way on any tire.

You're on to another winner here Niky. great read 👍

Not sure about the Twinspark not having variable valve timing though. Alfa's website doesn't mention its presence in the current range, although the Alfetta 159i (it was called that in SA, in the UK I think it was the Alfetta Gold Colverleaf) had variable timing on the intake cam at least, by virtue of a splined mounting for the pulley. The valve duration could not be changed like it is in a VTEC engine. That was back in 1982 or 1983, and the system survived with the addition of two spark plugs per cylinder (hence twinspark) on the 2.0L Alfa 75s, and also in early 2.0L 155s, and 164s. At some point the exhaust cam also received adjustable timing capability.

The recent 4 cylinder engines aren't based on those old ones though. It's an iron Fiat block with an Alfa dbranded head on it. Perhaps they dropped the variable valve timing then for some reason. It surprised me when I read your report because I assumed the new engines still had it, but I think you may be right. It's gone, along with that other expensive option that Alfa did so well - RWD. Oh well, at least they don't rust before your eyes anymore.

Alfaholic
You're on to another winner here Niky. great read 👍

Not sure about the Twinspark not having variable valve timing though. Alfa's website doesn't mention its presence in the current range, although the Alfetta 159i (it was called that in SA, in the UK I think it was the Alfetta Gold Colverleaf) had variable timing on the intake cam at least, by virtue of a splined mounting for the pulley. The valve duration could not be changed like it is in a VTEC engine. That was back in 1982 or 1983, and the system survived with the addition of two spark plugs per cylinder (hence twinspark) on the 2.0L Alfa 75s, and also in early 2.0L 155s, and 164s. At some point the exhaust cam also received adjustable timing capability.

The recent 4 cylinder engines aren't based on those old ones though. It's an iron Fiat block with an Alfa dbranded head on it. Perhaps they dropped the variable valve timing then for some reason. It surprised me when I read your report because I assumed the new engines still had it, but I think you may be right. It's gone, along with that other expensive option that Alfa did so well - RWD. Oh well, at least they don't rust before your eyes anymore.

Whoops. During research I noted that it was variable geometry, but it's also a variable timing engine. Correction noted and article amended. Thanks, Alfaholic... I'm obviously not as big an Alfahead as you! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...lovely cars, shame we don't get them here, as they're available in Singapore or Malaysia... just a stone's throw away. The government won't let those in, though, because Singaporean imports are RHD.

niky
Whoops. During research I noted that it was variable geometry, but it's also a variable timing engine. Correction noted and article amended. Thanks, Alfaholic... I'm obviously not as big an Alfahead as you! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...lovely cars, shame we don't get them here, as they're available in Singapore or Malaysia... just a stone's throw away. The government won't let those in, though, because Singaporean imports are RHD.

I wasn't sure myself to be fair... I know the old Alfas very well, partly because I spent a lot of time underneath them trying to figure out why it wouldn't work, and love them for all their rusty faults and dodgy electrics, but the current FWD ones just make me cry when I see them (like meeting an unlikeable stranger who has the same name as a long lost best friend) and so must confess I don't know very much about them. The 8C Compet...whatever it was called concept that they displayed recently was like salt in the wound. It was like "See? We know where we came from and we could do it again if we wanted, but we won't. But try our new FWD family car. It's quiet and has a really fast steering rack."

Still a shame you don't get the current ones where you are though.

But heck I'm going off topic again. Was nice to see the Alfa get such a good review from you. Made me happy, even if it was a modern Alfa. I still remember fast Lane testing a 145 when it was first released, against the hot Honda Civic of the time. Their parting line was "In the Honda, you need a fast road with smooth sweeping bends to have some fun. In the alfa, you just need a road." In fact, I think I'll add that to my sig :)

Nice to see the the Ibiza Cupra up in the top half, shame they didn't have the Leon Cupra R 225 in GT4 though. Good report there which was interesting to read while I'm bored at work :)

'Tis such a shame that the Protege comes with a downright horrible 4-speed slushbox. I find it to be my favorite of all of the "Sub 200 Class" cars. It really does handle beutifully. All it needs is a six speed (like the one in my version of it in GT4) and it could probably lay waste to everything here (barring the Mini and the Clio). Ah well.

Also, on a somewhat related matter, curse you niky! Do you mean that I blew $600,000 or so on cars do do a write-up exactly like this one only to have you do it?! Oh well, you did it better than I would have anyways.

@Alfaholic: Tis' true, Alfa sometimes makes very sweet handling cars, and it's a good thing they're getting recognized for it, as issues about quality and money seem forever destined to keep them out of the US. Hopefully the new cars will break into that market... maybe then they'll think about bringing them here. On a sadder note, now that Maserati is under Alfa, it's going to start using Alfa powerplants and AWD, so this might be the end of the classic FR Maserati. You'd hope combining the two would make it go the other way around... :indiff: ...but FF seems to be where it's at (since the 80's anyway), so it's nice to see some companies trying to make them fun to drive.

@FLK: It was a surprise to me, too. I'm often at odds with myself on how to place some cars... like the 206, I knew it was good, but it didn't impress me, so I had a hard time testing, re-testing and rating it. The Ibiza wasn't hard. I drove it for just one session and had a blast. Real eye-opener.

@Toronado: :lol: Sorry for ruining your work... but I've been planning this for weeks, and only just finished part three last week and part one now. I agree about the Mazda, I love it a lot, but even with a manual tranny, I can't get it much below 9:00 flat (on N3's... on SM tires with manual, it's around 8:50, but that's using a close-ratio tranny, which tops out at 210 km/h... going to go back and try it with a longer 5th).

The Mazda feels good, all right, and given its power to weight ratio and handling, should be competitive, but I think PD have modelled this accurately. In real life, that FSZE engine is a right turd. Less torque, and little delivery. I've heard stories from guys who've done the swap into their american Proteges, and most of them aren't getting the dyno numbers they'd expected from the motor. It really isn't as good as the numbers suggest, and I think PD ought to have looked up the American or Malaysian turbo versions, as they had much more torque, and the American version has much better tires.

@Everyone else, thanks!

I'm glad I found this forum, because it makes me realise there are people as crazy as me! I've always loved comparing cars in GT, and have done a few small articles myself just for fun, but it's good to see a few other people doing the same thing here. :) Ed did interrupt the flow for me on one or two occasions, but apart from that I thought it was very nicely written. That pic with the three cars is great, too.

Ed is my party pooper... thanks for the props, but the pic SHOULD have been seven or eight cars... I'm fixing that this weekend.

niky
Ed is my party pooper... thanks for the props, but the pic SHOULD have been seven or eight cars... I'm fixing that this weekend.
I look forward to it. I've managed to compose a similar pic to yours in photo mode (although I didn't overlap my cars, which isn't as good!), but I was wondering if something like that would be possible at a track. I suppose in photo mode you just got the same camera view, took a pic, and stuck them together in photo shop, but I think that could be a lot harder at a track unless there is a way to get a static camera in photo mode in a replay. Do you know what I mean? I'd love to do a multi-car test at the 'Ring for example, and show half a dozen cars spread out along a section of track, but I'm not sure about how to get around the problem with retaining a camera position for each shot.

Look around on the Photomode board. There're some guys there who are absolutely awesome. There is a way of exploiting the fixed track cameras to take amazing shots. One guy has a photoshop of over a dozen JGTC cars lined up and parked along the sides of the track. He used the fixed start/finish cam and used the computer cars to trigger it in playback.

You'll have to search, though... can't remember who it was.

okies, I got an suggestion for next one: compare 80's hot hatches/rally car street versions..: 205 T16, R5 turbo, Delta, Audi Quattro, and for Japanese cars, Celica could be good.. they all are between 150-200 bhp.. and turbocharged too. R5 turbo is an exeption, since it's MR, whereas others are AWD's.. if no-one else will try this, i will. 💡

I really enjoy reading these articles. Especially how you count down to the number 1. I have to make sure to read the whole thing so I get the big picture. Great stuff!

niky
Look around on the Photomode board. There're some guys there who are absolutely awesome. There is a way of exploiting the fixed track cameras to take amazing shots. One guy has a photoshop of over a dozen JGTC cars lined up and parked along the sides of the track. He used the fixed start/finish cam and used the computer cars to trigger it in playback.

You'll have to search, though... can't remember who it was.
Thanks. I should have thought about looking at the photomode section! Stupid! Anyway, I look forward to the next article, and to seeing your updated pic.

@speedy, thanks!

Leonidae
okies, I got an suggestion for next one: compare 80's hot hatches/rally car street versions..: 205 T16, R5 turbo, Delta, Audi Quattro, and for Japanese cars, Celica could be good.. they all are between 150-200 bhp.. and turbocharged too. R5 turbo is an exeption, since it's MR, whereas others are AWD's.. if no-one else will try this, i will. 💡

I've already got those cars lined up, for an old-school street rally car comparison. Going to be using an old favorite of mine, too, the Citta d' Aria, and possibly another road rally track OR Monaco.

What I'm stuck on is waiting to get as many of these cars as I can in either 0km or 10km condition. I've got most of the 2ndhand ones (my Renault 5 Turbo and my 205, for example) in 10km condition, with the exception of the Lancia. I might just as well end up engine-balancing it to simulate an overhaul.

Actually, I have three sets of cars sitting in my garage awaiting group runs. The aforementioned road-going rally cars, Kei-cars (what was I thinking?!?), full-sized 300-400hp sedans, convertibles ( :lol: ) and sports cars (thank God! ), including the Esprit, the Corvette, the Tuscan, etc... I just get sidetracked too often and wind up starting another comparison before some of these cars even turn a wheel.

Go ahead, though, as what counts in a report are your opinions and experiences. Good luck!

Latest Posts

Back