A review covering some old Papyrus and Geoff Crammond sims

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I played most of these at some point, but mainly Grand Prix 2 and Grand Prix Legends.

I can remember playing Geoff Crammonds first F1 game and thinking it was amazing. Later, I made loads of carshapes and a few cockpits for Grand Prix 2 and spent many hours playing it. Then when Grand Prix Legends came along, I was blown away! The physics, the sounds, the circuits - it still looks pretty good today!

GPL certainly doesn't look like that out of the box though... I doubt there's anything else stock left in the video clips than perhaps the track polygons, everything else has been modded. I actually have a pretty heavily modded install myself but haven't played for quite a while now.

I don't know if it's the hard as rock tyre model, or bad FFB implementation, but it feels weird somehow. Not like a car with very low grip does, more like how a car with wooden wheels might. Something is off with the slip angles, inertia, something. I've driven 85cc karts on a frosty track and GPL is a few magnitudes slippier than those so I have a feeling something isn't quite right after all.

GPL certainly doesn't look like that out of the box though... I doubt there's anything else stock left in the video clips than perhaps the track polygons, everything else has been modded. I actually have a pretty heavily modded install myself but haven't played for quite a while now.

I don't know if it's the hard as rock tyre model, or bad FFB implementation, but it feels weird somehow. Not like a car with very low grip does, more like how a car with wooden wheels might. Something is off with the slip angles, inertia, something. I've driven 85cc karts on a frosty track and GPL is a few magnitudes slippier than those so I have a feeling something isn't quite right after all.

It's likely been at least 12 years since I played it - and right enough do remember having a few mods on it then. I may have to try and get on my laptop somehow and hook it up to the wheel ( only got back in to driving games with GT Sport and only got the wheel this year )

I did have a ffb wheel back then - can't remember the make, but GPL was certainly challenging to drive.

Back