Can anyone clear up some GT5 confusion please?

• Thread starter Danny
  • 20 comments

Danny

Code Red
Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
When discussing GT5 and the PS3 I keep hearing terms like Blu-ray and things like that, but my technical knowledge doesn't go much past what colour the little bits are (blue maybe?).

Could someone please give me a number (rough estimates even) about how many tracks/cars GT5 on the PS3 is capable/likely to contain?

I've trawled countless threads but haven't got a definate answer.
I hope this could not just help me, but also other anti-technologically minded.

Thankyou.

Gran Turismo HD will include Gran Turismo HD Premium, which is a prologue edition, and Gran Turismo HD Classic. Both will support mulit-player and will have in total, 770 cars and 51 tracks. However, you would have to download the cars and tracks from a website, which all adds up to around $550.00 if you want them all. The premium version will come with 30 pre-installed cars and two tracks, leaving you to download the rest.

As for a blu-ray disk, they are virtually identical to older compact discs. However, they are smaller, coloured blue, and can hold slightly more information. They're usually used for the storage of video and data.

Gran Turismo HD will include Gran Turismo HD Premium, which is a prologue edition, and Gran Turismo HD Classic. Both will support mulit-player and will have in total, 770 cars and 51 tracks. However, you would have to download the cars and tracks from a website, which all adds up to around $550.00 if you want them all. The premium version will come with 30 pre-installed cars and two tracks, leaving you to download the rest.

As for a blu-ray disk, they are a form of storage medium.

I understood it to be that GT:HD in both forms were to be followed by an actual GT5?

Thanks for the swift answer however.

I just wanted a thread with some straight answers. I'm getting very confused!

If I recall correctly, GT4 used a dual-layer DVD, which has a maximum capacity of 8.5GB. A single-layer BluRay disc has a maximum capacity of 25GB, and a dual-layer one has a maximum capacity of twice that; 50GB.

Theoretically, GT5 could have in excess of 2250 cars and 150 tracks, based purely on disc space and a simplistic multiplication of what GT4 contained. Realistically, no one really knows except for PD themselves, and they aren't telling yet. Personally, I'd say that a maximum of 1000-1200 cars (including post-release downloads) can be expected, and maybe as much as 100 tracks...and those figures are optimistic.

I never knew that. I thought Gran Turismo HD was the next series in the Gran Turismo series, I didn't know it was a demo. Anyway, it looks exciting.

As for a blu-ray disk, they are virtually identical to older compact discs. However, they are smaller, coloured blue, and can hold slightly more information. They're usually used for the storage of video and data.

Uhm.. as far as my knowledge goes, Blu-ray discs have the same diameter (12cm) than the CD/DVDs. And ok the disc CAN be coloured blue but it isnt necessary for the data side.

The name Blu-ray comes from the laser beam color that duh... is Blue/violet. The wavelenght of the beam is shorter and thus can there be more data/inch on a Blu-ray Disc.

A single layer Blu-ray disc (25 Gb)can hold 38 times the data of the first CD (0.650 Gb)

And for more info on GT HD look in this thread.

Have a nice day.

Excuse my stupidity, but I think of MB/GB/TB etc in terms of MP3's.

How many would that be roughly?

$550? They...got...to...be...kidding...right? That's stealing!

Oh well, it sounds promising, atleast.

My guess is that $500 would be on the very low side for a reasonable amount of downloads, based on what we have heard so far, especially when you consider how much some limited time and other exclusive content will cost. These will not be at discount prices!

Cheers,

MasterGT

That's just crazy. You get 30 cars and 2 tracks and the rest you have to pay and download. So when there are people who don't connect their PS3 to the internet got nothing.

We'll have to wait and see, none of that's official. However the PS3 is going to be pretty big online so I wouldn't rule it out.

Question! If a Blu-Ray disc has 25GB of capacity, then how much space do all those cars & tracks take that Sony does not want to put them all in the disc completley along with the game? I something smells real fishy about that.

It's not about memory or storage space it about Sony testing their online market. Blue-Ray disks have plenty of storage space there's nothing fishy about that.

In that post it didnt say that the full content would cost 500 dollars to download at all. It would be cheaper than that the way I read it.

Also what cars are we looking at? Iknow ferraris in the game, but what about lambos?

Dont forget Porsches!

BTW, I've read somewhere that a lot of the downloadable cars are unlockable in the career mode?
Maybe the downloadable cars & tracks are just for younger inpatient players.

In that post it didnt say that the full content would cost 500 dollars to download at all. It would be cheaper than that the way I read it.
You can believe what you want, but Kazunori was the one giving out the prices to Famitsu magazine before the TGS, so while they may not be finalised yet, we do know about how SONY/PD is thinking - extremely expensive, even for an interim version.

The changes that they are talking about will forever change how we play this game and it will also change what we think of as an expensive game.

Cheers,

MasterGT

correct, GT HD will be followed by GT5. I don't know whether the discs themselves are blue (they might be), but the blue part is actually the laser that reads the discs. Bluray discs can hold 25GB per layer, versus 4.7GB per layer for standard DVDs. DVDs are also limited to two layers per side, as I understand it, Blu-Ray discs are not. Bear in mind however, most of the cars aren't coming on the disc for GT HD they're online downloads. That means the storage is primarily hard disk based, not BR based.
GT HD isn't technically a demo, nor is it the next game in the series. It's the last game in the series ported to a new platform, with a demo of the new game added. Like having Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue all in one disc.
The average mp3 is 5MB, so 5000 songs if you like, but in terms of bitrate, at the average 128kbps (16KB/s) rate, that's 455 hours, and 303 hours at 192kbps (24KB/s)
Less of the $550 stuff please, a) do we KNOW it'll be that price? and b) are you seriously telling me you're going to download every car, every variant of skyline, impreza, evo etc. ? I bet you won't drive them all. Even at the prices that have been rumoured, I expect $350 will be plenty enough. Still huge, but hey.
What I expect to happen is the online stuff to be cheaper and possibly a bonus disc to be made for the non-online users.
Another rumour is that you can unlock the cars, or pay to have them regardless of you winning the relevant races or not. That however, would suggest they're on the disc already. With 25GB available, is that so unlikely?

Latest Posts

Back