Can I save my ps4?

United States
Tennessee
scionxb2
Hello everyone. A little back story first. My ps4 was accidentally pulled off a shelf and fell, breaking the power button and making it unusable. Recently, I was playing GT7 and left it sitting in a race event menu or something like that. When I can back I had a blank screen and I couldn't get the controller to open the menu or shutdown the system so I pulled the power plug. After letting the ps4 sit a few days I plugged it back in and turned it on by ejecting the disc, but now the system will not fully boot up. The light is pulsing blue and the controller will turn on but my TV's say no signal. Is there anything I can try? Remember, my power button isn't working because of a fall. Also, I have one of the earlier models of the ps4, the first I believe.

Last edited:
If it's just the blue light you have the blue light of death.
I had that with mine and it was either send it in to get it fixed or buy new one or upgrade.

...either send it in to get it fixed or buy new one or upgrade.
I'll probably go back to playing the PS2 and psp. But if I find a good deal on a PS4 or PS5 I might think about buying one. Thanks for the info. I was aware of the death lights on the PS3 and xbox360 but not aware of the ps4's.

Oh, I forgot to ask about save data. I was using a external hard drive with my ps4. Is my save data on that or is it on the PS4? I don't have PS Plus so would my save data for certain games be lost if I switched to a new system instead of fixing my old one? Gran Turismo 7 saves it on there end so that should be fine, right?

Last edited:
I'll probably go back to playing the PS2 and psp. But if I find a good deal on a PS4 or PS5 I might think about buying one. Thanks for the info. I was aware of the death lights on the PS3 and xbox360 but not aware of the ps4's.

Oh, I forgot to ask about save data. I was using a external hard drive with my ps4. Is my save data on that or is it on the PS4? I don't have PS Plus so would my save data for certain games be lost if I switched to a new system instead of fixing my old one? Gran Turismo 7 saves it on there end so that should be fine, right?
Depends where you directed the save data towards. If you explicitly placed it on your EHD, you should be fine. If it is stored on your internal hard drive... that one may require disassembly of the PS4 to try and pull the HD data from it.

Depends where you directed the save data towards. If you explicitly placed it on your EHD, you should be fine. If it is stored on your internal hard drive... that one may require disassembly of the PS4 to try and pull the HD data from it.
I don't remember directly telling it to put my save data there. I got it for the purpose of putting downloaded games on it. Sadly I don't remember how I set it up other then that. Would plugging the hard drive into a computer show save data or would it all be encrypted?

I don't remember directly telling it to put my save data there. I got it for the purpose of putting downloaded games on it. Sadly I don't remember how I set it up other then that. Would plugging the hard drive into a computer show save data or would it all be encrypted?
Assuming you had a PSN account the GT7 save data should be linked to your account I think not the HDD, so as long as you know your login details you can access the same save game and essentially continue where you left off even if going from PS4 to PS5.

Back