Fiat/Abarth 500

• Thread starter Moglet
  • 224 comments
Fiat 500 EV, originally not intended to enter the US market, will be offered in the US after all, starting for model year 2024. Pretty good news in my view, since not only is the redesigned 500 a pretty nice looking car, but also because there is a serious dearth of very affordable EVs for the US market.

1668891359151.png

That reveal video is certainly one of the more cringe inducing car announcements I've seen. Yikes.

Performance seems to be a bit underwhelming, but looks wise it's a clear improvement. Hoping it will be available in the US.

My sister bought one recently (a Fiat New 500, not the Abarth) and let me take it for a blast around the block a couple of weeks back. Like most small electric cars, the performance figures don't tell the full story. The instant torque and lack of gears means you just point and shoot. I can't think of much that would beat them as the perfect (old world) city car.

Last edited:
Yes, presentation aside, I imagine this new one will be brilliant fun to throw around and I quite like the way it looks too.

Funny how this car looks the same from when it debuted 15 years ago, but the MINI grew bigger and changed.
It's a good thing really. The design really works well and pretty minimal changes to it was enough to keep it looking fresh and up-to-date.

Last edited:
Abarth 500e revealed - 153hp, 0-60 in 7 seconds and comes with a sound generator (something similar to what was in the Charger EV)

View attachment 1209902
View attachment 1209903

Fun fact - this is actually the roof of the Fiat factory (Lingotto) in Torino, with Renzo Piano's extension there in the background. It used to serve as the test track for the manufacturer.

1_Q0CiVLqsuiq_EWyKoqzhsg.jpeg

It's a good thing really. The design really works well and pretty minimal changes to it was enough to keep it looking fresh and up-to-date.
Indeed. It’s why the MINI should have stayed as it was on debut. I can see adding the bigger Countryman, but the regular MINI didn’t need to grow bigger. More power didn’t have to equate to everything must swell.

For that reason above, part of me hopes the new Renault 5 isn't a runaway success as an EV. If they move that gorgeous design over to an ICE platform, it could easily be a Top 10 seller in most territories it is sold in.

More realistically, I hope they're also adapting the Abarth 500e platform to fit a combustion engine too.

Last edited:
Back