GT Sport Racing Wheels Help

United States
Colorado
I'm looking into buying a racing wheel but there are so many different kinds. What kind of things do I need to look for? There are 3 major things that I need in a
racing wheel. First it must work with PS4 System, I only want the wheel and not the pedals (being disabled) and it must be for a GT Sport. Any help that you guys/gals can give me to help me get one would be great.

garystevens60

You will need the pedals as you will not be able to map them to the steering wheel buttons.

Two things you can do:

1) hook up a push pull system like a real car when equipped for a disabled person.
2) Take the springs out and replace with very light ones and place the pedals on a chair/seat/table next to you and use one of your hands.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 and it is fully supported by the game and the PS4. A T150 is cheaper ;-)

You will need the pedals as you will not be able to map them to the steering wheel buttons.

Two things you can do:

1) hook up a push pull system like a real car when equipped for a disabled person.
2) Take the springs out and replace with very light ones and place the pedals on a chair/seat/table next to you and use one of your hands.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 and it is fully supported by the game and the PS4. A T150 is cheaper ;-)

Actually, it’s quite possible to map the Accelerator and the Brake to the buttons on the steering wheel. Some functions will have to be sacrificed to accompany that change however (like indicators, hazard lights .etc). I use a Logitech G29 that I recently bought off a friend. It works for both PS3 and PS4 but a brand new one can be very pricey. It’s a great steering wheel though

You can map the steering wheel to have braking/acceleration to the paddles. This isn't like using triggers, more like using X and Square. I didtry this with my wheel because i hated the pedals. Got a bit of stick off know it all wheel users.

It looks like I didn't explain myself very well. Thanks to the people that pointed out my error.

Yes you can map accelerator and brake to any button or paddle and it will be an On/Off type switch. You will not have use of an analogue toggle or lever as you have on the hand controller. You are unable to do this on the wheel, there are no thumb controls/toggles as all buttons are On/Off types. That is what I meant about not being able to map the functions to the wheel, you lose the ability to modulate brake and accelerator pressure

Also bear in mind when the wheel is rotating you will have difficulty in modulating any button or lever. BTW Wheel rotation is either 920 or 1080 degrees.

I will still stand by what I said about still using the pedals in some modified format to suit your particular needs.

It looks like I didn't explain myself very well. Thanks to the people that pointed out my error.

Yes you can map accelerator and brake to any button or paddle and it will be an On/Off type switch. You will not have use of an analogue toggle or lever as you have on the hand controller. You are unable to do this on the wheel, there are no thumb controls/toggles as all buttons are On/Off types. That is what I meant about not being able to map the functions to the wheel, you lose the ability to modulate brake and accelerator pressure

Also bear in mind when the wheel is rotating you will have difficulty in modulating any button or lever. BTW Wheel rotation is either 920 or 1080 degrees.

I will still stand by what I said about still using the pedals in some modified format to suit your particular needs.

Guessing by reading your post. Valid points btw. Wheel users could do with having variation on its wheel to cater for those unable to use pedals. Would be good if they had the best of both worlds and added triggers to the wheel like a DS4 has.

Last edited:
You can still use the controller for throttle and brake, with a wheel attached. A lower powered force feedback wheel like a G29 could probably be used with left hand to steer and downshift while using right hand to control throttle&brake (right stick) and upshifts (right trigger).

Just an idea. I tried this with a T300 and got within one second of my PB after a few attempts... but gee willikers is this tiring on the left arm :scared:

Thank you GTPlanet users for all of your help with the racing wheel. I didn't know that all racing wheels require you to use the pedals to. When I was doing some searching on Amazon some of them only showed the wheel and not the pedals. So I guess that I need to read more of the product information. Is there anything that I need to look for when buying a Racing Wheel other than the price?

garystevens64

Thank you GTPlanet users for all of your help with the racing wheel. I didn't know that all racing wheels require you to use the pedals to. When I was doing some searching on Amazon some of them only showed the wheel and not the pedals. So I guess that I need to read more of the product information. Is there anything that I need to look for when buying a Racing Wheel other than the price?

garystevens64
You can still get a wheel and use it without the pedals. It is trickier to do it without the pedals but doable. Needs mustin this case

garystevens64
I'm not sure of your budget but Fanatec have this:

Untitled 1.png

Untitled2.png

I'm not sure on how it works, and it is quite a pricey set up but if you are interested you could head to the Sim Racing Hardware forum. I'm sure the guys in there could assist you further :)

Link to the thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-for-new-csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-wheel.369924/

Edit: I just found this about the wheel,

But the really cool and unique addition is the pair of analogue paddles beneath the shifters. They’re multi-purpose and can be mapped as buttons, or used as accelerator and brake (and for people that don’t have the use of their legs this is as far as I know the only solution allowing them to sim race!), or they can be used as a Formula 1-style launch control, where you pre-set your cars clutch bite point and on green, release the paddles and your car rockets away.

Source: https://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/review/video-review-fanatec-mclaren-gt3-racing-wheel,492390

And it does work with PS4 if you use an Fanatec PS4 CSL Elite Racing Wheel. You don't have to purchase pedals.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of your budget but Fanatec have this:

View attachment 741002
View attachment 741003

I'm not sure on how it works, and it is quite a pricey set up but if you are interested you could head to the Sim Racing Hardware forum. I'm sure the guys in there could assist you further :)

Link to the thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-for-new-csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-wheel.369924/

Edit: I just found this about the wheel,

But the really cool and unique addition is the pair of analogue paddles beneath the shifters. They’re multi-purpose and can be mapped as buttons, or used as accelerator and brake (and for people that don’t have the use of their legs this is as far as I know the only solution allowing them to sim race!), or they can be used as a Formula 1-style launch control, where you pre-set your cars clutch bite point and on green, release the paddles and your car rockets away.

Source: https://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/review/video-review-fanatec-mclaren-gt3-racing-wheel,492390

And it does work with PS4 if you use an Fanatec PS4 CSL Elite Racing Wheel. You don't have to purchase pedals.
👍
And here is Olli Pahkala driving without pedals:

👍
And here is Olli Pahkala driving without pedals:

That's pretty awesome!!! Do you have any idea if the button mapping for the accelerator and brake will work properly yet? Or will that come later when the game developers realize this can be done?

Edit: I did read that Fanatec says all buttons are mappable on all platforms.

Last edited:
I'm looking into buying a racing wheel but there are so many different kinds. What kind of things do I need to look for? There are 3 major things that I need in a
racing wheel. First it must work with PS4 System, I only want the wheel and not the pedals (being disabled) and it must be for a GT Sport. Any help that you guys/gals can give me to help me get one would be great.

garystevens60

Two things that come to mind are price range and force feedback. Identifying your price range will help the community with better suggestions and some of the less expensive wheels do not have force feedback. Force feedback will allow you to adjust the resistance you feel when turning the wheel and is adjustable from very light to heavy. The non-force feedback wheels have a fixed resistance which may or may not be to your liking.

Thank you so much for the information and far as price range goes I plan to spend $200 to $300. I think at that price i should be able to get something pretty good.

garystevens64

I checked it out and it look like it would work for me the only thing is its pretty pricy costing a whopping $400 or more. Maybe there's away that I
could use the foot pedals somehow. I have a severe case of neuropathy in my lower legs. So its really painful and most of the time they are numb. I sometime can't fell how hard or soft when pushing on the gas. Makes for a heavy foot when I try to drive.

garystevens

I checked it out and it look like it would work for me the only thing is its pretty pricy costing a whopping $400 or more. Maybe there's away that I
could use the foot pedals somehow. I have a severe case of neuropathy in my lower legs. So its really painful and most of the time they are numb. I sometime can't fell how hard or soft when pushing on the gas. Makes for a heavy foot when I try to drive.

garystevens
Can you drive legally or do you have an restricted licence (like me), if you can then I suggest you have a look at modifications along the lines of your car. I drive my real car and in sim racing using my left foot so both my car and rig are converted to allow this. There's always the hand controls that were mentioned earlier in this thread, but you'll have to have some degree of mechanical skill to set this up.

No I can drive legally and I do have a regular license. It just I don't get out much anymore. Thats why I'm playing GT Sport HaHa. I've never used
either the racing wheel or the pedals. My thought is when you mash down on the gas/break the pedals will slide all over the carpet unless you have
a way to secure them like you do with the wheel. If I decide to go that route it should be a lot cheaper than Fanatic $400 one. I was looking at the
Thrustmaster 150 at Besy Buy and that one wasn't to pricy for me. I'm just not sure what I need to look for in a Racing Wheel and what brands are
better than others. I need to check them out on Consumers Guide if I can find them.

garystevens64

Thrustmaster 150 at Besy Buy and that one wasn't to pricy for me.
Thrustmaster T150 is very good wheel for its price.I did a two-day test Fanatec CSL Elite vs. Thrustmaster T150, same car,track and set up.The most important question with which wheel I am faster,and the answer is that I am 0.19 seconds faster with the CSL Elite.The Fanatec CSL Elite is very smooth while T150 feels as if there is sand in the drive mechanism.During understeer the FFB of the CSL Elite becomes quite heavy thanks to the powerful motor while the motor of the T150 is much weaker and you can overcome it with ease(it's hard to feel when the front tires start to lose grip).The initial moment when the car starts to oversteer feels equally good with both wheels.After this initial phase of ovesteer the CSL Elite does almost all the work for you thanks to its speed while with T150 you will have to do the whole countersteer,but despite that I did not have a problem correcting oversteer with T150.Also curbs and bumps are felt equally good with both wheels.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the information. I need to see if the price has changed for the Fanatic CSL Elite. I think the last time I checked it was like $400
to $500 and that would be a lot of cash for me to spend since I'm single and my only source of income is my disability check and you can imagine
it isn't much. I guess I will need to stop eating for a couple of months Ha Ha.

Thanks for all of the information. I need to see if the price has changed for the Fanatic CSL Elite. I think the last time I checked it was like $400
to $500 and that would be a lot of cash for me to spend since I'm single and my only source of income is my disability check and you can imagine
it isn't much. I guess I will need to stop eating for a couple of months Ha Ha.
There's quite a lot to take into consideration when first buying a wheel. From the looks, either a Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T150 would most suit your budget. Have you thought about how you're going to mount the wheel? Because that could also add to the price, and the space it takes up can be a big thing, so does your rig have to fold away when not in use? Also the G29 has carpet grippers on the pedal set whereas the T150 doesn't (but there's ways around that).

Sooo much to consider :scared::)

garystevens

I already gave you two suggestions. Don't you like either of them?

For sure and i really appreciate all of your help. I'm just trying to put all the things together so I can make a good chose. i would really hate
it if I bought one and I ended up n to liking it since i'm spending a pretty penny. I can't believe how much they cost when its all plastic.

garystevnes64

For sure and i really appreciate all of your help. I'm just trying to put all the things together so I can make a good chose. i would really hate
it if I bought one and I ended up n to liking it since i'm spending a pretty penny. I can't believe how much they cost when its all plastic.

garystevnes64

I am certain if you bought a wheel Saturday morning from your local game shop/supermarket/Walmart and wheeled yourself back in Monday and said you didn't like it, I am sure they would refund your money. No way will they tell a disabled person, in front of a store full of people he can't have his money back ;-)

Basically, try before buy.

Another thing to think about. All the first Thrustmaster T300s shipped with a very crappy set of pedals. Like mine there must be a heap of these things sitting around getting dusty on shelves when people upgraded to the better T3PA pedal sets. So I am sure there would be people willing to donate theirs so you could modify a set to your liking without any fear of financial loss.

I see you fly the US flag, why tell us where you live and see if there are any offers of assistance from local members here. There are 627,700 players in the US http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=nb_players_by_country So there is a good chance some may be local to you that are willing to help.

I do empathise, it is a tough learning curve and like you so rightly point out, it is very easy to make a mistake. Hence I do recommend the T300 as the weapon of choice. Properly supported, is very widely used and quite robust and will suit your needs. The only things you need to decide on is whether you wish to pay the price and how you configure the pedals as hand controls and here I gave you two easy solutions.

Only you can now decide if it is right for you.

Good luck :-)

Do you want a wheel for the FFB / realism, or is it cos you don't get on with the little sticks on the controller.

If the latter, an option if you didn't already know is to use the motion sensing on the controller for the steering (basically turn the controller)

Sorry if you already knew that.

Otherwise what I would do (being an engineer and naturally liking to change things) would be to buy a wheel and pedal set, and just rip the pedals apart and rig the insides up to the back of the wheel for finger triggers. They just use rotary pots so put a stick on each with a spring on it and some stops. secure the wires with plenty of slack. Voila.

Have you thought about using motion control steering? You can tilt the controller to steer, like a wheel without force feedback, and use the triggers, face buttons or right stick to accelerate/brake as you normally would. It is genuinely effective in terms of being competitive, and easy to get used to.

Actually, it’s quite possible to map the Accelerator and the Brake to the buttons on the steering wheel. Some functions will have to be sacrificed to accompany that change however (like indicators, hazard lights .etc). I use a Logitech G29 that I recently bought off a friend. It works for both PS3 and PS4 but a brand new one can be very pricey. It’s a great steering wheel though

What game were your playing? And we’re You able to map accelerator to steering wheel?
I just brought G29, PS4 and GT Sport and cannot map the accelerator to the steering wheel

What game were your playing? And we’re You able to map accelerator to steering wheel?
I just brought G29, PS4 and GT Sport and cannot map the accelerator to the steering wheel
You would have to change the controller settings in-game and the controls are very customisable. You wouldn't be able to remap them in the PS4's own settings.

Latest Posts

Back