GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,762 comments
Well, I have to admit... The close competition of GTP quali times has me bug bitten. In past weeks I would have happily set an average time and just got on with my races, but my brake modulation has apparently improved to the point where I've started to think I'm actually quite good at this game.

I noticed after the first race of the week that the combo at Sardegna could be a potential SR-killer so I took a deep breath and knuckled down in the hope of getting a clean lap somewhat resembling my Optimal Sectors. Each time I knew where I could gain a few tenths and eventually it all came together and I clawed my way to improving on my previous 1.41.9 to a 1.41.4

As for the racing, it's been a peculiar journey this week so far... What I'm getting at is that the race seems almost EASIER when you've cleaned up your Safety Rating and risen through the DR ranks, because there's much less chaotic elements. When I slipped back into B Rating last month I really didn't see myself ever coming back to the brink of A+, but I guess as the saying goes... Practice makes perfect.

Kudos to @skandiamannen for a very fun race this afternoon. (I'm assuming it was you).

Edit: I told a lie

Last edited:
Did my 1st race of the week, fairly pleased with how things turned out at Sardegna.

Started in P11 with 2 A+ drivers in front of me but was in P8 by lap 2. However, car in front was slowing down in odd places, causing me to make a small mistake from the surprise and lose a place.

Finished in P9 overall with some close and considerate racing, so not bad 🙂 Kind of peeved at losing my clean bonus, literally for slightly grazing a barrier to avoid a spinning car...

Attachments

• 18f5904b60f56-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    18f5904b60f56-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 18f5904dac78-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18f5904dac78-screenshotUrl.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1
I managed to drop from full SR S to an SR A in two races at Suzuka! I think a total of three contacts between the two races did it - I'd been punted to the back and got caught out by cars braking and taking Degner 1 in 3rd, and braking at 200 metres for the chicane.

One clean race later and it's back up to around 80% of SR S

Were SR losses and gains always so severe?

Edit/ did a B race - me no like. Love that track the other way but I just find all the corners too weird in the reverse layout. Corvette seems to have improved a bit? Still a bit tail happy, but with mediums or softs it may be decent.

Last edited:
However, car in front was slowing down in odd places
I swear that the most common way for me to lose positions is when the guy in front behaves in unexpected ways, I have to do evasive maneuvers or just slow down, and the guy(s) behind take advantage of that. Now that I say (type) that out loud, I can see it's probably par for the course.
One clean race later and it's back up to around 80% of SR S

Were SR losses and gains always so severe?
I've tracked my SR since the middle of November. The largest gain I've ever had is 45%, and it was moving from one letter to another. The norm seems to be in the 20-30% range. I've had some catastrophic losses - as much as 105%, so that's not easy to quantify.

I swear that the most common way for me to lose positions is when the guy in front behaves in unexpected ways, I have to do evasive maneuvers or just slow down, and the guy(s) behind take advantage of that. Now that I say (type) that out loud, I can see it's probably par for the course.

I've tracked my SR since the middle of November. The largest gain I've ever had is 45%, and it was moving from one letter to another. The norm seems to be in the 20-30% range. I've had some catastrophic losses - as much as 105%, so that's not easy to quantify.
The only conclusion I have so far is this: They're all communists!

To be honest, your username here! I have no idea if you're a journalist, a media person or a developer! 🤣 And I hate not having the answer 🥸😲🙃
Lmao.

I joined when newmedia was a thing (internet, interactive CDs 🤣)

Edit: "my first account RIP M3///"

I'm a UX designer or Digital Product designer, everything from banking to travel and currently 3D printing software for the machines we make.

You've probably used an app I was partially responsible for a feature or two ;)

There is your answer. ANSWERED!

🤣

Last edited:
Lmao.

I joined when newmedia was a thing (internet, interactive CDs 🤣)

Edit: "my first account RIP M3///"

I'm a UX designer or Digital Product designer, everything from banking to travel and currently 3D printing software for the machines we make.

There is your answer. ANSWERED!

🤣
Damn, that’s way cooler than what I do. I just cut dead trees up into pieces and then nail them to things. 😆

Well, I have to admit... The close competition of GTP quali times has me bug bitten. In past weeks I would have happily set an average time and just got on with my races, but my brake modulation has apparently improved to the point where I've started to think I'm actually quite good at this game.

I noticed after the first race of the week that the combo at Sardegna could be a potential SR-killer so I took a deep breath and knuckled down in the hope of getting a clean lap somewhat resembling my Optimal Sectors. Each time I knew where I could gain a few tenths and eventually it all came together and I clawed my way to improving on my previous 1.41.9 to a 1.41.4

As for the racing, it's been a peculiar journey this week so far... What I'm getting at is that the race seems almost EASIER when you've cleaned up your Safety Rating and risen through the DR ranks, because there's much less chaotic elements. When I slipped back into B Rating last month I really didn't see myself ever coming back to the brink of A+, but I guess as the saying goes... Practice makes perfect.

Kudos to @skandiamannen for a very fun race this afternoon. (I'm assuming it was you).

Edit: I told a lie
Thanks mate, you're not only clean, your also super fast! I had nothing more to give there!

Carnage Turn 1.jpg

I woke up at 3:30 AM PST so I figured what the heck... I took my newly acquired alter ego out for spin. In the space of 5 races he (Nino Barlini) has equaled Pete Aron's DR/SR with 5, top 5 finishes after starting no higher than 10th.
Nino figured out that, once the lights go out, just sit there and have a cigarette, let turn 1 sort it self out (above) and then proceed when safe. The 2nd race, there were only 4 finishers.

Well, then I'm at the bottom of the pile. I just tell people WHERE to nail them.😆
Not to detail thread...but we are basically old blokes who are carpenters, lumberjacks and a weird dude (me) that does computer stuff 🤣

Edit: and grumpy he writes code.

On the TT threads obviously Half sourly and Crome are the biggest coding geeks 😀

Last edited:
So YOU'RE the one who added that crappy feature that ruined everything! I knew it!!
Edit: and grumpy he writes code.
I also have a woodworking website (TheNewbieWoodworker.com) and YouTube channel with 140k subscribers, and two specific videos with a total of over 4 million views. (Yes, I'm bragging.) Of course, I haven't posted to it in almost 3 years, but I still have half a garage of woodworking equipment!
Actually, someone who still has all his ten fingers (to play GT with a controller) cannot be a real carpenter.😜
I have a SawStop - that is literally the ONLY reason I still have all my fingers, and I'm not even kidding.

I have a SawStop - that is literally the ONLY reason I still have all my fingers, and I'm not even kidding.

I come from a family of carpenters, and I know a lot more carpenters due to my job, and you can easily tell that they (almost) all learned their profession before the invention of the SawStop.

And I bet that none of them can beat me at GT7. 🤣

So, I just had 6 cortisone shots in my lower back (sounds worse than it was). The doctor made me have someone to drive me home afterwards, which my wife did.

When I got home, I felt fine, so I thought I'd do a race. Turns out there's a reason they don't want you to drive after the shots. Boy did I suck. Only lost 1 DR point, but lost 75% SR, dropping me back to SR A (although at 100%).

Live and learn. Or by the time I get the next set of shots in about 4 months, I may have forgotten, so nothing learned!

So, I just had 6 cortisone shots in my lower back (sounds worse than it was). The doctor made me have someone to drive me home afterwards, which my wife did.

When I got home, I felt fine, so I thought I'd do a race. Turns out there's a reason they don't want you to drive after the shots. Boy did I suck. Only lost 1 DR point, but lost 75% SR, dropping me back to SR A (although at 100%).

Live and learn. Or by the time I get the next set of shots in about 4 months, I may have forgotten, so nothing learned!

I can tell you from my own experience that 6 glasses of german pilsner beer have exactly the same effect.🍻

I just spent an hour analyzing the days races at Suzuka (over gin and tonics and The Stones, Sticky Fingers... yes, the wife is not here tonight). I analyzed machinery data for a living so this is just what I do, I obsess.
10 races and 433 miles starting at 3:00 AM PST on 2 accounts.

Qualifying times:
Pete Aron: 1:42.005 (obvious C/D times... Me and Maverick, "Im where I belong")
Nino Barlini: 2:04.813 (Ya, what-ever)

The x̄ lap time = 1:46.559 for 120 laps (includes pit, some with drive-throughs and some with tires)
The mean variation was never more than 1.22 seconds
My average finish was 4th and nothing higher than 3rd (in D/C lobbies)
My average finish position was 5 positions better than my starting grid.

I think what this tells me is that Im very consistent and not improving.
Im fast in the first half of the track all the way through the hairpin and especially through the S's, but lose time in spoon and all straights.

I guess thats tomorrows task

I come from a family of carpenters, and I know a lot more carpenters due to my job, and you can easily tell that they (almost) all learned their profession before the invention of the SawStop.

And I bet that none of them can beat me at GT7. 🤣
Ah, very nice! I remember when I was very young, a carpenter had a shop opposite my grandparents' house and he used to take me there to see him work as he was friends with the guy, loved the smell of wood as it was going through the saw!

@newmedia_dev We literally just hired our 3rd UX Designer lol, if you ever move to Malta, hit me up! 😁

Last edited:
Ah, very nice! I remember when I was very young, a carpenter had a shop opposite my grandparents' house and he used to take me there to see him work as he was friends with the guy, loved the smell of wood as it was going through the saw!

@newmedia_dev We literally just hired our 3rd UX Designer lol, if you ever move to Malta, hit me up! 😁
Yes, the smell... childhood memories, and I love it still today.☺️

Back