Help needed in the last hairpin in Deep Forest

• Thread starter Merino Wu
  • 16 comments
United States
United States
Hi all, I am experiencing some serious difficulty with the last menu. Particularly in the last hairpin of deep forest raceway

As seen in the video, I always spin during the corner exit even with no throttle application. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong? I have tried setting the front ride height to maximum with no improvement.

Greatly appreciate any input.

I haven't tweak any setting but had no problem winning them all. I think you only need to slow down a bit more and take the line similar to the red Mazda RX Vision in front of you in this video.

There's a few things you can try. First, try braking in a straight line longer, so that you don't start turning until the end of the rumble strips on the right. Then turn in sharply initially and begin to UNsteer to allow the car to drift out wide on exit. That should help alleviate some tire grip issues. Ironically, adding some throttle will help reduce some of that oversteer, it's weird I know, haha. You can also try reducing the rear ride height 10 click (and also increase the front ride height too if you want 5-10 clicks depending) or so along with what I recommended above. HTH!

Jerome

Last edited:
The turn looks to be on a slight downhill so the car is likely to understeer going into the corner. Watching the video at 0.5x speed, it looks like you try to combat that understeer by fully locking the wheel to the left (all while being fully off the brakes) but leave it locked for far too long. My suggestion is to open up your steering earlier while trail braking very lightly to keep more weight on the front so that the car’s balance isn’t pushing the rear tires behind their ability to grip.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I actually managed to get past this hair pin by slowing down more.
Although something similar happened at SPA once again.....:sly:

I think I have figured it out, if I steer 90 degs at a corner with a speed above 65~67km/h, the car will oversteer.
So I just need to monitor my speed to below that threshold.

I must say.... this game is way more unforgiving than ACC...

The turn looks to be on a slight downhill so the car is likely to understeer going into the corner. Watching the video at 0.5x speed, it looks like you try to combat that understeer by fully locking the wheel to the left (all while being fully off the brakes) but leave it locked for far too long. My suggestion is to open up your steering earlier while trail braking very lightly to keep more weight on the front so that the car’s balance isn’t pushing the rear tires behind their ability to grip.
but if I keep more weight in the front wouldn't it make the rear tire even less grippy? i.e., F = mu*N, and now the N is lower.....

It took me a lot of "anger donuts" (TM Mike Finnegan) to get a feel for this game as well. Once it clicks these tracks become second nature and you will find yourself trying new things just for the challenge.

Take the corner as slow as you can without going slow, if that makes sense. Also, don’t steer more than absolutely necessary while taking the turn.

but if I keep more weight in the front wouldn't it make the rear tire even less grippy? i.e., F = mu*N, and now the N is lower.....
More weight in the front for the front tires to grip more, improve turn-in, and thus allow you to open your steering earlier. In the mathematical sense a reduction in normal force (less weight placed on the rears) with the same coefficient of friction will result in less friction (less grip on the rears), and that would certainly hold true if all other variables were static. However, by trail braking and shifting some balance of the car to the front you are also further reducing the cornering speed, putting less stress on the rears than when fully locked in one direction and completely off the brakes. At least that’s how I believe it works, although I am not sure how to model this mathematically though.

Well, youre trying to take this hairpin in +70kmh with a rear-engined car and wonder why it spins. :rolleyes:
As a defense for my past-self, during the turn in phase, the car doesn't seem too under-steery or slidy, so I thought it's within the operation window....
also because it's a mid-rear engine GT3 car with tons of down force so I thought 70km/h is doable....

Turns out I was wrong:)

Raise the Car height and try it again, i had similar issues when car was to much on the ground basicly scratching ant's head.

Along side what everyone else has said, I notice you are down in 1st gear making that turn, and while being completely off the gas/brake seems like you are just coasting, you have a significant amount of deceleration in the rear tires from the engine.

Keeping the car in second might give you better results until you are ready to get back on the gas.

Mid engined cars do that when you release the throttle. And the R8 is relatively sensitive.
Try a FR car, or keep a bit of throttle on in your turn.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I actually managed to get past this hair pin by slowing down more.
Although something similar happened at SPA once again.....:sly:

I think I have figured it out, if I steer 90 degs at a corner with a speed above 65~67km/h, the car will oversteer.
So I just need to monitor my speed to below that threshold.

I must say.... this game is way more unforgiving than ACC...

What happening to you is that while turning off-throttle the engine drag on the rear wheels is acting like brakes but only on the rear wheels. Combined with a rearward weight bias it's basically locking up your rear wheels mid-corner and causing a spin. Another factor in both these corners is that they're slightly banked which means on exit the front tires load up before the rears. The proper technique would be to aim for a late apex, so you get all your braking and most of your turning done before you reach the apex, then you can apply a very small amount of throttle through the apex and accelerate out of the corner. This isn't a setup problem with the car, it's a driving technique problem. If you understand how the car's systems are working and read the topography of the road you can predict how the car is going to react.

Last edited:
Along side what everyone else has said, I notice you are down in 1st gear making that turn, and while being completely off the gas/brake seems like you are just coasting, you have a significant amount of deceleration in the rear tires from the engine.

Keeping the car in second might give you better results until you are ready to get back on the gas.

What happening to you is that while turning off-throttle the engine drag on the rear wheels is acting like brakes but only on the rear wheels. Combined with a rearward weight bias it's basically locking up your rear wheels mid-corner and causing a spin. Another factor in both these corners is that they're slightly banked which means on exit the front tires load up before the rears. The proper technique would be to aim for a late apex, so you get all your braking and most of your turning done before you reach the apex, then you can apply a very small amount of throttle through the apex and accelerate out of the corner. This isn't a setup problem with the car, it's a driving technique problem. If you understand how the car's systems are working and read the topography of the road you can predict how the car is going to react.
Thanks guys, keeping at 2nd gear is a godsend.
Without it I won't be able to survive the downhill section of bathurst.

Latest Posts

Back