McLaren M8D Chevrolet Can Am Mclaren Racing #5 Bruce McLaren 1970

• Thread starter JR98
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
The McLaren M8D is a Can Am racing car built by McLaren Racing for the 1970 season of Can Am. It used a Chevrolet 7.6 V8 producing 680HP in a car that weighed just 635KG and was the car in which McLaren founder, Bruce McLaren, tragically lost his life. It was incredibly successful in 1970, winning 9 out of 10 rounds, and Danny Hulme once again taking the title despite his crash at Indy. In 1970 the huge wings that Can Am cars had the years before were banned so McLaren put tail fins on the rear of the M8D to compensate and this earned the car it's nickname "The Batmobile". The car had more horsepower than the previous McLaren's to compensate for the loss in aerodynamics. At Goodwood, Bruce McLaren pulled in and out of the pits for wing adjustments constantly and he left the pits for the last time at 12:19. He took the fast left-hand kink leading onto the main straight at 170MPH and this caused the car to spin and struck a marshall's protective banking with enormous impact. Bruce was flown from the wreckage and was killed instantly.

Specs:
Engine: 6.7 Chevrolet V8
Power: 670HP
Weight: 635KG
Drive: Mid Engine Rear Drive

McLaren-M8D-Chevrolet.jpg

Any Can Am cars would be greatly appreciated, but it is possible that Polyphony Digital has missed the boat on this one as Forza 6 now has several Can Am monsters in its car lineup including an M8B. I hope PD can add a Can Am category to GT7 and bring us enough cars to form a grid, but now that Forza have beaten them to it perhaps that chance has faded.

Mclaren quote.jpg

Any Can Am cars would be greatly appreciated, but it is possible that Polyphony Digital has missed the boat on this one as Forza 6 now has several Can Am monsters in its car lineup including an M8B. I hope PD can add a Can Am category to GT7 and bring us enough cars to form a grid, but now that Forza have beaten them to it perhaps that chance has faded.

View attachment 461926

That was my fear when I saw Forza 6's car list, that PD wouldn't want to be seen as a copycat. I hope that McLaren would want their legacy to be honoured by having their old Can-Am cars in GT. We've already got our foot in the door with the Chaparral 2J.

Back