Spot Journalistic Bias and Manipulation (was Media Bias)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 447 comments
Grooming strategies like helping kids (and adults) understand their emotions and the emotions of others. That's leftist apparently.
It's the mainstreaming of the Q fantasy.

I was scrolling through replies to a tweet a while back. I think the tweet was highlighting white supremacist rhetoric and referring to it as such, and someone replied that that they didn't like how frequently the term was being used (I don't necessarily disagree, and overuse, especially when inappropriate, chips away at the meaning of the term--but I seem to recall it was appropriate given the content of the rhetoric being highlighted) and that they couldn't think of anything much worse than "white supremacist" to call someone. If I'd been able to reply, I may have suggested that "pedophile" is pretty bad.

If I'd been able to reply, I may have suggested that "pedophile" is pretty bad.
I'd be willing to bet "iT's NoT iF tHeY'rE rEaLLy gRoOMiNG KiDs!!1!" is one of the first replies you'd be likely to receive. It's difficult to embark upon a moral crusade without absolving oneself of any pesky hypocrisy first. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet "iT's NoT iF tHeY'rE rEaLLy gRoOMiNG KiDs!!1!" is one of the first replies you'd be likely to receive. It's difficult to embark upon a moral crusade without absolving oneself of any pesky hypocrisy first. :rolleyes:
I don't know. I got a "centrist" vibe from the poster. It wasn't one of those "you leftists call everyone you don't agree with racist" sort of things.

The only thing Mickey Mouse is guilty of is grooming kids into being obsessed with hot dogs. And if you're not a parent of a kid obsessed with all things Mickey, then listen to the song of my people.

Seriously, that song is going to give me Nam flashbacks.

The only thing Mickey Mouse is guilty of is grooming kids into being obsessed with hot dogs. And if you're not a parent of a kid obsessed with all things Mickey, then listen to the song of my people.

The only saving grace is that They Might Be Giants performed that song. (Thankfully haven't heard it since 2014 or so.)

Get them to watch Bluey and you'll be a lot happier. It's almost worth starting a thread on it...

Whenever I see a strategy / thinktank / PAC / brainwashing / lobbying group with the words "Concerned" or "Family" in it, you pretty much know what kind of nuts are going to be in the container spread without having to double-check the label.

Last edited:

Seriously, that song is going to give me Nam flashbacks.

Still better than that one song from vivo.

This is why people get such mixed messages regarding viruses and how misinformation starts:

ABC News: monkeypox outbreak is unlikely

NBC News: monkeypox outbreak can't be ruled out

While they both essentially say the same thing, if you just browse headlines like I assume a decent percentage of people do, you can see where one headline puts people into a panic while the other doesn't. Saying something is unlikely makes people believe it's not going to happen. However, saying something can't be ruled out has people thinking the worst. I get it's all about getting clicked, but this is how misinformation starts. All it takes is one person to latch onto the NBC headline and spin it so much that it becomes "the WHO is hiding something, are Bill Gates and George Soros responsible?"

Obviously the votes of the 25% of Tory respondents who want Bojo to remain are worth four times as much as anyone else's. Seemples.

Buyers waiting for a crash is something of a sign that it won't happen.
It won't crash, the market will gradually press the brake pedal and decelerate until eventually accelerating again. I guess they like the word "crash", it's another hot button word in a journalistic lexicon teeming with thousands of them.

I don't see how hoping prices come down is "entitlement", as most sane people want to prepare for a future by either having a property of their own, or just try not to stretch their budgets higher than necessary.

Last edited:
"Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Another mark in the column for newspapers being nothing more than agenda-pushing propaganda. This even borders on being a mirror version of communism will work this time!

4pFX0CW.png

Still "huge" Dinesh? Yea, didn't think so.
It's still up, last I checked, because those who buy what Dinesh is selling are no more likely to click through, and in the highly unlikely event that they do, they have no trouble completely disregarding that detail.

It's still up, last I checked, because those who buy what Dinesh is selling are no more likely to click through, and in the highly unlikely event that they do, they have no trouble completely disregarding that detail.
As long as the fantasy remains, it can remain huge. If the pretense ever falls, it'll cease to be important.

"Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Another mark in the column for newspapers being nothing more than agenda-pushing propaganda. This even borders on being a mirror version of communism will work this time!

4pFX0CW.png
I'll put money that the (offshore for tax reasons) owners of both papers were already shorting the £ ahead of the disastrous mini-budget. I wonder if they somehow knew what was planned?

I know it's CNN, the not-so-evil side of point-scoring, but it's too good to pass up.

Assuming that this thread isn't just about political bias, here's an item about relative sales of different music media which has been reported by various news outlets.
Why it's biased:

Last edited:
Interesting. Without qualification or context, to outsell is clearly referring to number of units sold. Generating more revenue or becoming a more valuable market is indeed quite different.

If Bugatti sell one car for €800,000 and Toyota sell five cars for €127,000, did Bugatti outsell Toyota? No.

That's what he said.

I'm sure that with those kind of unit prices plus the cost of the equipment involved, BPI would love to create some buzz around the vinyl market and get some more of that vinyl cash into their pockets.

But it's an audiophile rather than a mass market medium these days.

Last edited:
Ok this isn't bias but it is infuriating. Look at this CNN headline on google news:

headline.JPG

This bothers me a lot. We have no idea what the air supply on the sub is (there's a very real possibility that the sub had a catastrophic failure), and CNN knows this, but the temptation of establishing an arbitrary countdown timer for clicks was too impossible to resist. I bet some bag of ***** at the network wants to put a literal countdown timer on the page for the story.

Ok this isn't bias but it is infuriating. Look at this CNN headline on google news:

View attachment 1266819

This bothers me a lot. We have no idea what the air supply on the sub is (there's a very real possibility that the sub had a catastrophic failure), and CNN knows this, but the temptation of establishing an arbitrary countdown timer for clicks was too impossible to resist. I bet some bag of ***** at the network wants to put a literal countdown timer on the page for the story.
They're not the only ones. The sub can hold 96 hours of oxygen, so I think everyone is going off of that and the article I saw quoted the cost guard or something similar.

They're not the only ones. The sub can hold 96 hours of oxygen, so I think everyone is going off of that and the article I saw quoted the cost guard or something similar.
My point was that it was pure conjecture to even assume the sub was still intact and distasteful to put a countdown timer on those people's lives.

Back