The Mulsanne Straight

100 litre tank with 5 stops so 500 litres plus the 100 you start with, so yes.

They were able to do 16 laps per 100 litres at Le Mans but over the years the fuel allowance was gradually reduced to account for better engine management systems.

100 litre tank with 5 stops so 500 litres plus the 100 you start with, so yes.

They were able to do 16 laps per 100 litres at Le Mans but over the years the fuel allowance was gradually reduced to account for better engine management systems.

So given today's LMP car 100 liters and they'll be able to do more than 16 laps?

The Audi R18 is capable of 13 laps I think.

Last year they did 11 laps. Audi did better than that this year, I think it was 12 laps, but Toyota stopped a lap or so earlier usually and that was carrying 72 litres. The Audi has a diesel engine though so had less fuel.

A Group C with 75 litres would also do 12 laps.

Modern cars have much better engine management but also a lot of downforce. That makes the car heavier to push through the air so it sort of levels out.

Roger Dorchy drove a WM Peugeot P88 at Le Mans in 1988 and reached a top speed of 405 kph. This was before the chicanes were put in in 1990. The team felt they had no chance of a win so they thought they would like to be remembered for something else. They reached the speed very early in the race and the cars engine was pretty buggered after the lap and the car was retired from the race. The team was even supplied special narrow tyres by Michelin to reduce drag.
Good afternoon all, following on this topic does anybody have any information regarding the 'racing line' taken by the drivers on approach, through and out of the Mulsanne Kink please ? I have seen various clips and would appreciate a 'Birds eye view' if possible.

My particular interest is the circuit between 1979 to 1985.

Many thanks in advance !

Latest Posts

Back