The new BMW 5 Series

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 25 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Well, after the horror of the 7, here's the new 5 series....

0,,69348,00.jpg

I quite like it - it looks a lot 'sharper' than the 7, which to my eyes was this weird squat thing with edgy styling, and that combination never works.

Hmmm... I like the Z4's styling a lot more than the 7 or this 5. I don't like how far back the tail and headlights are peeled on this...

Most of it is better though than the 7, though I hope I'm not seeing a square hunchback trunk?

Apparently the tail lights are reminscent of the Peugeot 406 - which I don't think you in the US get, do you?

Mmm - I'll dig up a picture.

spatepeugeot.jpg

Oh, okay, that's not too bad (and we don't get Peugeots over here).

Certainly much better than the 7 series' ugly rump! :lol:

I should mention that's the back of a Peugeot 406, not the new BMW 5 series - I don't think that was clear.

Actually - now I think of it, I seem to recall the 406 sedan and coupe were in GT2.

Oh yeah, I knew that... I was saying that the Peugot's rear wasn't bad, so thus (theoretically) the 5 series' shouldn't be either. ;)

Originally posted by youth_cycler
Oh yeah, I knew that... I was saying that the Peugot's rear wasn't bad, so thus (theoretically) the 5 series' shouldn't be either. ;)

I thought you'd figured that out - it was more for the good of the thread.

I'm bit of a fan of the current 5 - especially in its more 'aggressive' variants, it wears dark colours and big wheels particularly well - a lot better looking than the 1990-96 5 series which was pretty bland.

Originally posted by youth_cycler

Certainly much better than the 7 series' ugly rump! :lol:

:odd: I like the new 7 series rear.

Although I don't like the look of that new 5 series, why is every car getting rounder and rounder?

Stupid safety standards. :odd:

Originally posted by Race Idiot
:odd: I like the new 7 series rear.

Although I don't like the look of that new 5 series, why is every car getting rounder and rounder?

Stupid safety standards. :odd:

If you go down a hill make sure you bring a barf bag :lol:...

More slab siding, more imaginitive but ugly headlights, and more copies of the Honda Accord. Okay, I'll be nicer: This is far better than the 7-series, almost as good as the Z4, but has the eyes of a melting Santa candle. And as for copying the rear of a 406, I agree; it's actually a nice change (not an improvement, just nicely different).

OTOH, I can't wait to see a V10 crammed in there. That would be BMW's first V10 in ages, right? Unless they're using an F1-derived block...which I doubt...and which would be amazing if they did. :)

BMW 5-Series

The All New BMW 5-Series

The all-new BMW 5 Series sedan will make its dramatic first appearance in the U.S. this fall. True to long-standing BMW tradition, the new 5 Series brings to market numerous technical innovations including:

* Lightweight construction featuring a body made from steel and aluminum with an all-aluminum suspension and chassis.
* Available Active Front Steering, Active Roll Stabilization and run-flat tires.
* Choice of a 2.5- or 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engines or 4.4-liter VALVETRONIC V8 all available with either six-speed manual or six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission.
* iDrive control concept with available head-up display.
* Available adaptive bi-xenon headlights and Active Cruise Control

This new 5 Series follows one of the most successful and lauded model series in BMW's history, the 1997-2003 5 Series. The awards that model series has won over its seven-year run include four AutoWeek "America's Best" awards, seven Edmunds.com "Most Wanted" awards, six Car and Driver 10Best awards and a total of twelve Automobile Magazine All-Star awards. In its last full calendar year of sales, the 5 Series set an all-time sales record of nearly 41,000 units in the U.S. The task of improving upon such an icon would be daunting for any manufacturer. However for BMW, one need look no further than the new 7 Series for inspiration - a car that set new standards for performance, handling, luxury and safety in the premium-luxury sedan category. It is now time to extend those same benchmarks in the executive class.

At first sight, the sporty and elegant styling of the all-new 5 Series is apparent. It exudes both power and sophistication - from the muscular front end with its unmistakable curved headlight clusters featuring four round headlights, to the coupe-like greenhouse, to the sleek trunk with angular taillights. Not immediately apparent is the fact that the 5 Series has grown slightly to accommodate more passenger and luggage space.

The interior: More sophisticated, roomier, more advanced

The interior is fresh and new, and contains some of the renowned interplay of convex and concave surfaces from the BMW Z4. Featuring the iDrive concept, the 5 Series is a pioneer in its class in driver-oriented ergonomics. Most functions essential for driving are located directly in front of the driver, on or around the steering wheel or column. Basic comfort functions are housed in the center console, while all other settings, functions and services are located quickly and efficiently within the iDrive Controller and Control Display specially modified for the 5 Series. The Controller is located such that there is ample room for a console-mounted manual or automatic gearshift. The optional head-up display makes a significant contribution to active safety, by presenting important driving information directly in the driver's line of vision. This new system even allows the driver to select which information will appear on the windshield, for example speed or navigation instructions. Passenger comfort is enhanced by the new automatic climate control system, which features evaporation temperature control. The rear seating area has grown from the previous model, and trunk area is significantly expanded as well.

The all-new 5 Series will again be offered in three versions

The first version of the all-new 5 Series, the 530i, will arrive this October with its turbine-smooth 3.0-liter in-line 6-cylinder engine that produces 225 horsepower and 214 lb-ft of torque. It will be followed quickly by two additional models. The 525i features a 184 horsepower 2.5-liter in-line six with 175 lb-ft of torque. The new 545i will feature the same award-winning, leading edge V8 engine that powers the 745i, which uses double VANOS variable valve-timing, VALVETRONIC throttle-less engine control and infinitely variable intake manifold runner-length control, to produce 325 pulse-pounding horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque. A 6-speed manual transmission will be standard on all three versions, and an optional fully-electronic STEPTRONIC six-speed automatic will also be available.

Technical innovations abound

The all-new body makes extensive use of aluminum to form an extremely stiff yet lightweight platform that is, in fact, far lighter than its predecessor. This leads to better performance and fuel economy and an ideal front/rear weight distribution, in a car that is also larger than its predecessor. The rigid chassis and perfectly-tuned suspension are crafted entirely from aluminum.

The 5 Series debuts the world's first Active Front Steering system. Active Front Steering offers a new level of driving comfort, enjoyment and safety on the road. This sophisticated system electronically varies the degree to which the front wheels turn in relation to steering input from the driver. Under normal driving conditions at low and medium speeds the steering ratio becomes more direct, meaning the wheels turn relatively more in relation to input from the driver, reducing the amount the steering wheel must be turned. This enhances the car's performance in city traffic, when parking or in curves. At high speeds, the steering ratio becomes less direct, meaning the wheels turn relatively less in relation to input from the driver and thus provides superior directional stability. AFS works hand-in-hand with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) by monitoring the yaw rate and changing the steering angle accordingly. This reduces the number of DSC interventions and thus offers optimum control comfort for the driver and passengers.

Also networked with AFS and DSC are the optional Adaptive Headlights. With this system, the two bi-xenon headlights are controlled in real-time as a function of the steering wheel angle, yaw rate and road speed, perfectly illuminating the road ahead in a bend. As an additional active safety enhancement the new 5 Series features Adaptive Brakelights. When the driver applies the brakes hard, or upon activation of the ABS, the rear taillights join the brakelights at the same intensity to warn the vehicles behind that hard braking is taking place.

Active Cruise Control (ACC), recently introduced on the 7 Series, will also available now on the new 5. This radar-based system is specially designed for highway driving, which makes it easy to maintain a safe and comfortable distance from the car in front.

- CobraKing

Originally posted by vat_man
Apparently the tail lights are reminscent of the Peugeot 406 - which I don't think you in the US get, do you?

Fortunately not. Is Peugeot ever going to replace that dated slug?

You can find many, many more pictures of the new E60 5 Series here. Enjoy! The next M5 is going to be absolutely incredible. :eek: Does anyone know if the 3 Series is going to be getting a similar makeover any time soon?

that car is horrible. i don't care what its like to drive. bmw have really lost it here.

the three series is bad but not as bad. the 7 series is nasty. this one looks like a nice car that has been kicked in the face and not recovered.

the previous 7 and previous 3 (e36) were the most beautiful cars bmw had designed.

you know i have a theory that the bmw designer has now moved to mercedes, can anyone substantiate that? :D you see bmws in the the 90's were great, whereas the least said about the current ones the better. but the current mercedes range is the best range of any manufacturer in the world (except the a-class obviously), the e-class is beautiful, so is the S, the cl is cute, even the c looks nice. and the sl is a car made for the gods.

to be honest if i had £100k to spend on a luxury saloon i'd be going to mercedes or lexus not bmw right now.

I like the car, it's quite a change from the previous conservative styling but it has grown on me. I have to say, Nightmage, I really don't think that the previous 7 was one of their best; it was too plain for me. And the newer 3 series is great in my opinion; especially compared to the E36. The best looking BMWs I think are the (newer) M3 and the current 5 series. The Z4 is a close third though. I never really liked it that much until I saw it in person...its incredible. BIG wheels...I like.

Originally posted by Zrow
I like the car, it's quite a change from the previous conservative styling but it has grown on me. I have to say, Nightmage, I really don't think that the previous 7 was one of their best; it was too plain for me. And the newer 3 series is great in my opinion; especially compared to the E36. The best looking BMWs I think are the (newer) M3 and the current 5 series. The Z4 is a close third though. I never really liked it that much until I saw it in person...its incredible. BIG wheels...I like.
fair enough, i still stand by my comments though, i think though that people on both sides of the fence (the current 3 and 7 series lovers/haters) both agree that the e39 looks the business and that makes it a true winner, too bad the e60 (coming to replace it) looks so korean/japanese.

Back