The Formula 1 Calendar ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 269 comments

Hopefully this kills the idea of a London GP. I'm not the biggest fan of Silverstone but it's still massively better than a street circuit.
In the light of the Madrid GP annoucement, it's great to see both Suzuka and Silverstone get new deals.

Frankly, a UK or Japanese street circuit GP is totally unnecessary - let's hope that the increase in new street circuits on the calendar can have the paradoxical effect of securing the place of more classic circuits like Spa and Monza too.

Formula 1 has given up on 2024. Lets look forward to 2025!

APAC swing then Middle East. Aside from the staggered USA + Canada races, and the lone return to Singapore (that race is just dying to have something nearby to justify the huge flyout costs), the schedule looks sort of sensible?

Last edited:
2025 calendar confirmed. No races lost or added from the 2024 season, with Australia going back to being the season opener, and the Middle Eastern early section is moved after Ramadan.

I remember watching F1 in the 90s, getting my first history/statistic book and I was blown away at having nearly double the races per season as there was in the 50s and 60s. Here we are now just a few years away from double the amount of races in the 90s.

Pro: kind of real track limits (have to see, back in China they still came up with track limit violations for people in the gravel last turn)

Cons: red flags, vsc and safety cars for stuck cars and debris on track

Although i'm not keen on any artificial managing of results, given Redbull's current run of form over the last few seasons, anything that offers the chance of anyone other than Verstappen breaking clear and cruising to another dominant win is good in my books.

That happens even with run-off. Formula One's veer to NASCAR levels of namby-pambiness isn't directly linked to gravel traps.

Why don't we just hold the whole season in the US?
Feels like we're heading towards the USA-MiddleEast show. And certainly a street/fake street circuit dominated calendar with Madrid also joining in 2026. Could be at least 10 street circuit in 2026 along with 4 US and 4 middle east races.

Last edited:
For motorsport fans perhaps, but i doubt the majority of Monte Carlo GP attendees give a damn or even notice how the actual race pans out. It's like Ladies Day at Ascot. They're there to be seen and take in the atmosphere, the nuisances of the competition element of the experience are a secondry consideration at best.
I know. Don't televise it then. It's a non-championship exhibition in all but name. :indiff:
And this is slowly infecting the whole calendar. **** the race, the F1 circus (hah!) is just about marketing a chintzy, disposable toy track at some place desperate for attention with some noise getting in the way of the prawn sandwiches.

At least during the heights of Schumi and Alonso mania they limited it to one bonus event in each country (and of course “San Marino”).

If they’re going to do this (and probably still try for a NY race) a rotation policy would be okay. EDIT - I suppose there's a possibility that Chicago will replace COTA, which I think has only a contract until 2026. The article also links it to the proposed new Bears stadium, which is no done deal yet.

Africa still unrepresented, India MIA for a decade, only one race in South America. More than ever it’s not a world championship, it’s a money championship.

Last edited:
Feels like we're heading towards the USA-MiddleEast show. And certainly a street/fake street circuit dominated calendar with Madrid also joining in 2026. Could be at least 10 street circuit in 2026 along with 4 US and 4 middle east races.
And this is slowly infecting the whole calendar. **** the race, the F1 circus (hah!) is just about marketing a chintzy, disposable toy track at some place desperate for attention with some noise getting in the way of the prawn sandwiches.
The "show" is definitely of concern, and of course the quality of the circuit, but geographically... meh.

Chicago is closer to Montreal than to any other USA venue (Austin is about 100 miles further away, Miami closer to 400 miles). In fact just eyeballing it, a 1,400-mile radius circle will just cover all five Middle East venues (I'm including Azerbaijan), and will definitely every European venue (excluding Azerbaijan), but only three North American races at most and two races in Asia (Shanghai and Suzuka):

1715601050457.png

(that's going to be skewed slightly by the projection but whatever)

Of course all but one team is based in Europe (and it has a European base, in Banbury), and my real issue is that there's zero joined-up thinking on scheduling; there should be double-header races in venues that are close(r) to one another, rather than constantly flitting from one side of the world to the other.

And fewer sportswashing races in places with dog**** recent human rights records, like Qatar, Saudi, Texas, and Florida.

And fewer sportswashing races in places with dog**** recent human rights records, like Qatar, Saudi, Texas, and Florida.
If Chicago is indeed replacing COTA, that's one less sportswashing locale.

my real issue is that there's zero joined-up thinking on scheduling
It's rarely made sense; it was just... accepted for 25 years that starting in Australia and finishing in Japan was normal.

That happens even with run-off. Formula One's veer to NASCAR levels of namby-pambiness isn't directly linked to gravel traps.
They'd have a hard time getting 45-50 laps in at a place like Detroit or Dallas if the safety standards of the present existed back then.

Though, street circuits have come a long way since then.

Last edited:
It's rarely made sense; it was just... accepted for 25 years that starting in Australia and finishing in Japan was normal.
It was never this bad though. Largely helped by the fact that with 16 races in 32 weeks, there were rarely double-headers and only then with tracks near-ish to each other like Nurburgring and Imola (or very far away from Europe, like Brazil and Argentina). Now we have 24+ stuffed into 39 weeks and they are quite literally all over the map.

There was a "European season" and a "not European season" - only with Canada sitting in the middle, which I guess was necessary given the narrow window of acceptable weather in Montreal. Obviously other places had their own weather issues too, like Japan being in typhoon season for much of the calendar and only being available at the beginning or the end as a result.

2024 has Middle East Season 1, I Don't Know Pacific Maybe Season, Oops North America 1, Europe Double-Header, Oops North America 2, European Season, Whatever The Hell Azerbaijan Is, Why Is Singapore Here?, Americas ECG Trace Season With a Three-Week Break in the Middle, and Middle East Season 2.

It's moronic.

There should be enough pent-up demand to hold the North American races in one go. No reason for Miami to be in May; the weather is similar in October anyhow. And if Las Vegas is at night anyhow, it's not 40C outside during the day.

Canada sat by itself throughout the 90s-00s because there was either no USGP or the IMS was busy holding (or just hungover from) the month-long gala called the Indy 500.

There's just too many races and it doesn't feel all that special to have 24 of them.

Last edited:
The Chicago GP tweet has been deleted

This account regularly just reposts links posted on the r/formula1 Reddit and frames it as their own incredible journalism. This whole 2026 contract idea came from a not very upvoted post of a Reddit post from some random Italian website claiming the contract has been signed.

Journalism in Motorsport is a dying breed of guessing for clicks and letting rumours become news all the time. I keep banging on about not believing things until they're confirmed by the parties involved, the Hamilton and Newey stories proving to be the exception rather than the rule.

If the headline says "Set to" and the article doesn't include a Social Media post by the person or team involved, don't waste your time believing it, that is a guess, not News.

Back