Wangan Masters: Blurring Ambition

United States
Tennessee
Wynter92
The following narrative is is about the events that surround the Wangan Masters Tournament of GT5.

Vol. I
Act I: Crossing Shores
February 17, 2011 (木)
Yokohama Docks
3:19PM

The boat finally docked. The sound of the waves crashing onto the shore drowned the buzzing of the industrial cranes. A man carried himself off the boat with a leisurely gait. “A new start” He said, inhaling a good bit of sea breeze. He walked down to the cargo hatch to await offloading. As the hatch opened, a tall slender individual approached the man. His face was obstructed by the thick cigarette fumes he blew, yet did not seem to impair his orientation. “Name?” said the sooted man. “Huh,” the traveler said as he turned around to the man. “For the Customs log. “The man elaborated, Name?” “Snake” the man replied. “Items on person?” the custom agent asked as he jotted down the previous answer. “I have money and I have a imported car” Snake answered. “Type?” The man asked. “BMW M3” Snake replied. He jotted down the information then proceeded to the car, now exposed. A leaf green E92 edged at the port side of the boat. “Factory specification?” He posed as circled the car during inspection. “Yes, just bought it 2 months ago.” Snake answered. “Can’t allow it” said the man. Snake responded with a puzzled shock. “Not allow what?” Snake asked. “The car” the man said as he pointed toward the car with his pen. “At factory specs, this car is not allowed on the street” Snake’s eyes widened. “I checked road regulation for Japan as I prepared for my trip. Everything checked out. “Snake said in confusion. “It’s street legal but legal to be registered. “All imports above 3000cc are illegal for registration. That includes …that.” Snake rubbed his face in disbelief. “You have 2 choices” the man continued, “You can sell it to us for half retail, or keep it in storage; monthly payments.” Snake paced in a tight line, absorbed in thought. How much to store?’ Snake asked. “$500” the man answered. Snake dug into his wallet with reluctance and handed him the money. The man counted the money and signaled to someone. I will have someone store it” the man said, put his hand out. Snake handed him the keys. “It will be in warehouse 2B” the man stated. “Any place I can get a ride” Snake asked. “There’s a bus stop a few blocks that way and a train station about 4 miles away.” Said the man. Snake turned about and headed for the bus. “A new start all right” Snake thought to himself. The man parted as well, patting the stack of $500 against his palm. “Enjoy your stay” He quieted said with a smirk, veiled by ash.

Yokohama to Tokyo: Train
4:03PM

Snake rested in his seat, passively watching the scenery flash by. A figure approached him, sitting in the row behind. “You must be new” “said a man. “Snake peered over his seat and saw a stout man. “It’s that obvious?” snake said as he straightened himself up. “Nah, you’re actually are acting quite normal, “He said. “I just didn’t recognize you and I’ve been riding this train for years.” “The name’s Shev “He continued, extending a hand all the while. “Snake” Snake said, completing the handshake. “What’s your story?” “Like many in American foreigners in Japan, Army, stationed at Okinawa, hangin out on the main island when free” Shev answered, “You?” “I came here for a dream” Snake said, “I know, sounds cheesy but true. I came here for the cars.” “Ohh…,” Shev said with intrigue. Racing?” “Yeah, you know the scene?” Snake conversed. “A bit,” Shev replied, “Have a car?” “I had a car…” Snake said with depression. “Let me guess, foreign, engine too big?” Shev inquired. “Yeah, what’s up with that?” Snake posed with curiosity. “It’s some bs legislature created to promote buying within the domestic market.” Shev explained. “So if you’re on a muscle kick, 2jz or something is the easiest way. Any plans to buy a new car?” “I invested most of my money into my M3, but that’s a dashed plan” Snake answered, “I got 8K, but most of that is going to be spent on somewhere to crash.” “Hmmm” Shev said with thought, “You wanna car and you want to get into scene? Wanna check both off the list in one night?” The air around Snake became one of bewilderment. “Why not” Snake responded with hesitance. “I’m assuming you’ll need time to get situated, “Shev said, “How’s 10:30?” “I’m down for that” Snake answered “Where?” “Tokyo Station is close to everything” Shev said “That’ll be a good meetup.” “Sounds like a plan,” Snake affirmed, “Let’s see how the night pans out.”

Tokyo Station
10:28PM

Snake waited on a bench outside the station, illuminated by the surrounding neon and the prospects of entering the race scene. Shev arrived, hopping up the stairs. “You actually showed up” he said. Shev pulled out a set of keys and signaled Snake to follow. Snake picked himself up and followed for a couple of blocks. They arrived at a rotary parking lot. “I never seen one of these in person,” Snake said with energy, ”Cool”. “Yeah, cool till power’s out” Shev replied as he entered a code, “then you’re hoofing it.” The structure began to rotate like a ferris wheel, various cars having a turn at the bottom. “Here she is” Shev said as the next lot was coming. A medium-silver Z33 with a Chargespeed front bumper made its way to the bottom. Snake’s mouth dropped a bit with impression. “Yeah, she’s a hot piece right,” Shev said, noticing Snakes reaction. Shev got in and drove it out. The click of the lock passenger door could be heard disengaging. “Ready for a ride?” Shev said as the window rolled down. Snake got in, being greeted by the tight embrace of the bucket seat. Shev revved the engine drove it onto the street. “Where are we going” Snake asked. “The highway” Shev answered. “Familiar with that scene?” “Yeah, Wangan right” “Snake said. “Somewhat” Shev stated, “Wangan is for the high rollers. We’re going to the Aqua-Line. Same game, different players.” Shev turned onto the loop and entered the tunnel. Shev throttled it, spinning the wheels. Both their heads were trusted back due to acceleration. The speedometer hit 250km/h in under a few seconds and started to wane at 270. The exhaust was deafening as it echoed in the tunnel. They bolted out of the tunnel, now on the bridge. The lamps along the way stobbed by as they streamed past. Shev started the let off as they approached a rest area. “How much does this thing have?” Snake said with astonishment. “It’s supercharged to 400ps” Shev stated, “Not the most, but good enough.” Shev turned into the parking area and Snake’s eyes lit up. Dozens of cars were lined up. They passed a blue red ae86 and a black miata last. They parked near the back, facing the open bay. Shev shuffled around. He pulled a wad of money from under his seat. “600 bucks”, Shev said, “pick a pigeon.” Snake stared at the money and then outside toward the crowd. “You want me to..” Snake hesitantly analyzed. “Yeah, you can take my ride” Shev said. “She can take any takers. Well, this bunch at least.” Snake took the money and slowly emerged from the vehicle. Snake looked back at Shev who gave a “go on” nod. Snake inhaled to stabilize himself. “A new start” He said to himself.

Last edited:
Act II: The Storm in the Tunnel
February 17, 2011 (木)
Aqua-Line: Umihotaru
10:55PM

Snake looked around at the crowd trying to single out a potential opponent. He advanced forward with a slow gait. He continued to survey until something caught his eye. A white Z31 was parked midway down the column. Its black enkei wheels shined with the glare of the overhead street lights. “That’s the one.” Snake thought. Snake walked to man over to a man polishing the doors. “Is this your ride?” Snake asked. The man adjusted himself upright, focusing on Snake. “And you are..?” He said with indifference. “My name is Snake” Snake stated. “I haven’t seen you around before, must be a newbie,” The man said, “and newbies aren’t worth my time.” Snake withdrew internally, adjusting his fronting. “Money is worth anyone’s time. “Snake said, fanning the $600 toward his face. The man’s eyes lit up, enticed by the cash. “Humph, you act like a high roller,” The man said, “so let’s see if you if are one. A normal run down the line. First to cross wins.” “Fine by me” Snake said. “After the other guys finish, we’ll run next,” The man said, “and then I’ll relieve you of that cash.” “Till then.” Snake replied. Snake walked back to Shev. Snake reentered the Z. “Well…” Shev said, “What’s the deal?” “I challenged some guy in a white Z31.” Snake relayed. “Oh, he’s a character” Shev said lightheartedly, “You know how to pick em.” “What, bad choice?” Snake said with concern. “Not really,” Shev said, “As I said, this can handle most. But I hope you’re decent at the wheel.” “I can handle myself.” Snake answered. “Cocky, good, but don’t be too much,” Shev responded, “Let me give you a run down. You’ll both get on the loop that returns to the mainland. There are two tolls on the way, one right before the bridge and another 10km down at the tunnel. You’ll both be side by side, rolling at 60km/h. The second you hit the first toll, gun it. Needless to say where it ends.” “I think I got it” Snake said. “Good, cause your run is up” Shev stated, hearing the whine of incoming racers. Shev stepped out. “What…you’re not riding with?” Snake said with surprise. “Of course not,” Shev said, “Weight is key in these races, so I can’t take the chance. Plus, this is your race, I can’t help you. Just don’t wreck it.” Shev closed the door moved aside. A white Z31 cruised by, signaling Snake. Snake pulled out and kept his pace by the Z. They both got on the ramp that led to the tunnels. As the loop finished, the toll gate was in sight. Snake inhaled, tightly gripping the wheel. In a few seconds, he will have participated in his first highway battle. Snake shifted his attention of uncertainty into a stern gaze down the road ahead.

11:09PM

The second the car noses reached the toll, the drivers gunned it. At that second, the Z31 nosed ahead. Snake kept his pace but started to lag against the Z31’s torque. Within seconds, the two were approaching 200km/h. Though the Z had the lead, it no longer inched away. The Z33 started to show its muscle around 240k. Snake started to pull forward, but had to dart out of the lane due to traffic, losing ground. Snake pulled back around to the rear fender of the Z31. Snake heard a strange noise from the Z31, an undulating pitch from its engine. Snake knew what was happening. His opponent topped out, so did he know too. The Z31 started to stray right, pushing Snake toward the more congested lanes. Snake had to slalom between the traffic, losing his momentum. Snake pulled back toward the left, now 4 car lengths behind. Snake pulled into the same lane as the Z and started drafting. The tach and speedometer started to rise with new zeal as if new power was gained. The Z pushed from 260 to nearly 280. The gap between the two lessened, now 2 car lengths. Snake moved up and changed lanes at the last second, executing a slingshot. Snake bolted past the Z, which was stuck around the mid 260s. The tunnel toll was in sight. Snake kept pushing, determined for complete victory. He blasted blasted past the toll. The tunnel was once again filled with the Z’s mighty roar. Snake inhaled and eased off the gas, the adrenaline leaving his being. “My first win” Snake thought to himself as looked into the rearview mirror “I could get into this type of thing.”

11:20PM
Aqua-Line: Umihotaru

Snake pulled into the lot being cheered on my some spectators. Snake got out and rejoined Shev. “I know you won,” Shev said, “but by how much?” “Probably 5 car lengths” Snake replied, “Your ride did the trick” “As it always does” Shev replied. Both turned their attention toward the rival Z31 that was pulling in. The man got out with an air of disappointment and shame. He walked toward to the two. He gave snake a wad of 600$. “I may have been shown up tonight,” the man said turning his back, “but remember. JC always gets it in the in. He walked away, vanishing into the galleries. “Dramatic…” Snake remarked to Shev. “so what now?” “I mentioned getting a car would be on the agenda” Shev said. “This late?” Snake responded. “what dealer is even open this time of night?” “The underground is active at all times of the day.” Shev said as he reentered the driver seat. “Let’s go get you some wheels.”

11:34PM
Undisclosed location

The Z33 pulled into an abandoned lot, surrounded by old brick buildings. The two got out of the car, Snake analyzing the cityscape. “Uh..what could be here?” Snake said. Shev toward an alley toward the side of a abandoned shop. A figure was there, yet indiscernible in the shadows. The figure could be seen as a man as he got closer. “Snake,” Shev started, “this is Kilowna. This is the guy where I get my deals. The two exchanged pleasantries then Kelowna led them to the back lot. “How much are you looking to put forth?” Kilowna asked. “Probably around 4K” Snake said. “It’ll get you something,” Kilowna responded, “decent or no, that’s your judgment.” There were several cars scattered about. Snake looked about, seeming uninterested in many of the choices. Something caught his eye. A car half covered with a tarp. “What about this?” Snake said, walking toward it. May I?” Kilowna gave an approving nod. Snake pulled off the tarp. “An E24” Snake said. “Yeah” Kilowna said, “a 635 csi. It’s in rough shape considering it hasn’t been tended to in years.” Snake eyed it as if its rusted hull was perfectly polished. “…How much for it?” Snake asked. “I was planning on selling it for 2k,” Kilowna said. “but a grand will do just to free up some space.” “Are you sure about this” Shev intervened, “ It’s rusted, I bet the gasket has gone, and god forbid knowing what else is lacking…” “I’ll take it.” Snake said definitively. Snake handed over the cash, Shev face-palming all the while. “It doesn’t even run” Shev elaborated. “I can get it up and running in about a week” Kilowna said. “I’ll relay the cost to you after it’s done.” Snake turned toward Shev and smirked mischievously. “Never doubt my ploys” Snake said with confidence, "and I may need to borrow you Z again."

Last edited:
Back