What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 32,018 comments
One of the most anticipated albums for me in 2024 (I pick up the record tomorrow)

Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown

As some may know Beth is the female singer from Portishead. A huge soundtrack to my 90s life.

Just listening to this live performance of Child in Time by Deep Purple gives me the chills. Looking at the video triggers so much more: The hair, their youth, but most of all the wtf from the audience.

I always took myself as a disco only dude, but this clip has stuck on me (I have played it quite a few times by now) Besides earlier remarks, the drummer reminds me of Animal from the Muppets, only one guy in the audience seems to like it (two by the end?) and the camera work is great (BBC?).

I'm curious about Black Betty by Ram Jam. Is it racist, misogynistic or maybe both/neither? Or am I being the racist, seeing the lead singer as a deep-south banjo battle playing redneck?

Some good ol' chilled out, Contemporary Smooth Jazz. No lyrics, low BPM.

My Dad showed me this kind of music in my mid 20's as I was trucking as a passenger to Edmonton and the region around. At first I felt a bit sleepy when listening to this kind of music but now it's a daily listen. 👍

Back