To Import Or Not To Import - That is the Question

• Thread starter Famine
  • 62 comments
Famine
Well, you know me. I'm kinda tough to please. Having played it a little I can now see the potential of the game - that even without the online mode it could be great.

Still, hopefully once it's up in the computer room, hooked into everything else - including the DFP - all will be well with the world....

*downloads all of maskrider's screen translations*
Yeah that true. BTW I gree with Daan the DFP will change your experience! BTW I dont think I read what car you have right now in the game.

That's because a) I didn't type it and b) I don't have one.

Famine
Shakespear never wrote his own name with the additional E.

You better stick to GT4 for now and concentrate on EDIT: making that DFP count, and don't let my subtle but totally unimportant point-making get in the way of that. ;) After all, it's now all up to you to boldly go where 96% of the forum hasn't gone before ...

Just remember GT3 was made with the DS2 in mind as the primary controller and GT4 was made with the DFP in mind as the primary controller.

Playing GT4P with the DS2 and then with the DFP makes me happy I have a DFP. Many have said that GT4P physics are nothing compared to GT4's and GT4 makes the DFP even more essential and fun... if this is anything to go by then forget the DS2 for this game and get a DFP.

I'm going to bed, I have to work tomorrow.

On the upsides, I can, apparently import up to 10 million credits from GT3 and my GT4P licences. Hurrah!

Also, it's PS2 day tomorrow at school. I wonder how the kids would react to GT4...? :D

Everyone else: I already HAVE a DFP...

Famine

... :D Chase view also has no tachometer at all - just a speedo and what appears to be a "speed meter".

... :D

first: what's with the horrible colored bold font?

second: there is a tachometer which is 98434x better than the previous GT's ones. it's the long flat line at the bottom right of the screen under ur speed. the GT's tachometer was too short.
but it didnt bother me much anyway coz in-car/frontbonnet view is the best :embarrassed:

Finally a thread that i'm interested in....
I've got to ask a question about this new PSTwo:
This thing is really small (Duh!), and it reminds me of the PSOne. Alot
of people were complaining about it's size, saying that they could hardly take the disk out because of the mere size of that thing 👎 , but that's not what my question is about. Yeah, Of course the PSOne doesn't over-heat for obvious reasons, but the PSTwo scares me. A 128bit 300mhz. Processor with 32mb. of ram, and surround sound capability, even the old model (PS2) get's hot during gameplay (with a power supply fan), and that one is alot bigger than the tablebook sized PSTwo. All of those calculations and all of the processing and the beautiful graphics that the PSTwo is capable of rendering will eventually make the PSTwo overheat, right? With all of that technology in that little case, you got to give the innards some breathing space, and looking at pics, that won't be easy to accomplish. Unless Sony has found another way to fit all of that techology in that very small console.

Well, fate it seems. doesn't want me to buy the Japanese GT4... i own one of the first PS2 models out (10000 series). and it worked pefectly... untill tonight, i had allready asked my local drug dealer (err, game dealer, whats the difference? :P) to bring me a Japanese GT4 for my PS2.. and now it decides to break down, i had even bought a network adapter allready for it (USB network adapter, my PS2 doesn't have the rear HD bay) and now this... i can always sell the network adapter so no problems there, and i WAS planning on getting the new slim ps2+GT4 anyway (US version of course, i planned to get it only because of LAN battle), but this is bad news.. now i'm gonna have to tell the guy to sell that GT4 to somebody else if he doesn't have the parts to fix it.
if he has the parts then i might fix it if the price is right.. but i've allready spent too much as it is, so if it's expensive it will not justify the cost and i'll just sell that USB network adapter and skip the Japanese version.
this just sucks... i KNEW i should've turned off my PS2 (left it on for over 24 hrs so i wouldn't lose my ghost times on the Japanese GT4 demo, i did this quite a few times.. i was asking for it :P)

SaintKamus
Actually, the original PlayStation 2™ came out in Japan in March 2000, so you're either confused or just a liar ^_^

Well maybe he's just mistaken or confused as you said 👍 ... but the liar part was just uncalled for and childish 👎 no need to be so arrogant :roll:

Thank's SaintKamus. I was about to say the same thing.
About your story you posted above, that sucks big time. I did a similar thing, but with my Playstation (January 1998), GT2 and the Legend of Dragoon. I kept the playstation on and I had a fan blow cooler air into the PS's side air vent's, so it could keep cool all day.
Your story, however is what scares me about this new PSTwo. Like I said in my previous post, that PSTwo doesn't have good air ventilation and the heat could build up inside, so I'm just going to find the latest version of the PS2 and hope that GT4 will work on that.

I think in a few paychecks, I'm going to start hunting down a later model NTSC/J PS2. I dislike the design of the small one, and all I ever hear about from my friends who own it are, "OMG IT SUX@TEH KULING!!"

I like my setup now, my online PS2, brand new (as of July 04') and fully loaded with HDD and NA. On top of that is my import playback console, which was built from the remains of various friends' "junk" consoles. The lid is a flip-top, for SwapMagic usability without that annoying swipe-card.

My setup:
swap3.jpg

Getting the J console would own some biscuits, in a rather hardcore manner. I'd hand off my importable console to my cousin full-time (his got crushed in a move) and just use that J for what I use the flippy one for!

Only issue:Cash.

Not a problem, really. I import a lot, and my japanese to english game ownership ratio is about 12:8. Wether I get the console and GT4 makes little difference. I won't be able to afford the console until after GT4's US release, anyway, so I won't need to import it.

However, looking now on Lik-Sang and Play-Asia, they seem to only carry the PStwo...how very, very ghey. :indiff:

Smoke_U_24/7
Finally a thread that i'm interested in....
I've got to ask a question about this new PSTwo:
This thing is really small (Duh!), and it reminds me of the PSOne. Alot
of people were complaining about it's size, saying that they could hardly take the disk out because of the mere size of that thing 👎 , but that's not what my question is about. Yeah, Of course the PSOne doesn't over-heat for obvious reasons, but the PSTwo scares me. A 128bit 300mhz. Processor with 32mb. of ram, and surround sound capability, even the old model (PS2) get's hot during gameplay (with a power supply fan), and that one is alot bigger than the tablebook sized PSTwo. All of those calculations and all of the processing and the beautiful graphics that the PSTwo is capable of rendering will eventually make the PSTwo overheat, right? With all of that technology in that little case, you got to give the innards some breathing space, and looking at pics, that won't be easy to accomplish. Unless Sony has found another way to fit all of that techology in that very small console.
The power supply is now separate from the chassis on the new PSTwo. Mine does not get any warmer than my old PS2 with the internal fan. As long as you don't throw dirty underwear on top of it, set it underneath a heat lamp, or keep it sealed in a plastic bag while playing I highly doubt you'll have overheating problems.

as much as i really do want to play gt4 importing just doesn't seem worthwile. It would mean spending too much cash on a Japanese ps2 and game and THEN having to pay and wait some more for the shipping. then Even after all that expenditure i would be unable to get the most out of the game due to notr being able to read anything, especially the info about the cars.

My strategy is just to wait until the *fingers crossed* february release date and get a UK version. even if it is end february it's still only two more months, and probably less if your in the US.

so overall IMO importing 👎

Well a couple days after I recieved my copy of (J) GT4 I told myself, oh it's ok you can just wait untile the US ver. come out then return the US GT4 you bought with the Japanese GT4 DVD in it and get another copy of US GT4. But man 3 months or even more is tempting. On January 1, 2005 0001 hrs. I placed an order at LIKSANG for a new slim PS2 that should ARIVE ANY TIME NOW Grrrrghhhhh, God damn Liksang. Well I should expect it to arrive at the front door by thursday. And then my dream will come true, like YOU. Damn you for having it before me.

SaintKamus
Actually, the original PlayStation 2™ came out in Japan in March 2000, so you're either confused or just a liar ^_^

Was it really 2000? Hard to believe, I thought the PS2 already reached its 5 year shelflife last year. I thought it was at least 1999. But you may well be right of course. In which case you could just call me mistaken. ;)

Anyway, it matters little - my point was that technology advances quickly and they had plenty of time to make it smaller. ;) (heck look at the PSP!)

Mr P
Well maybe he's just mistaken or confused as you said 👍 ... but the liar part was just uncalled for and childish 👎 no need to be so arrogant :roll:

arrogant? i'm not the one typing with out making sure if what i report is correct, maybe now you'll get your facts straight before you say something.

SaintKamus
arrogant? i'm not the one typing with out making sure if what i report is correct, maybe now you'll get your facts straight before you say something.

Hmmm so I was mistaken Saint Liar :dopey: you wont take offence at that then 👍 cool stuff :sly:

theRukus
first: what's with the horrible colored bold font?

Blahblahblah, human eye, blahblahblah, indigo easiest to perceive on light backgrounds, blahblahblah

theRukus
second: there is a tachometer which is 98434x better than the previous GT's ones. it's the long flat line at the bottom right of the screen under ur speed. the GT's tachometer was too short.

Hold up... You think a black line which gradually fills with cyan is better than a large, circular rev counter with actual numbers on it and a big needle, filling 1/16th of the screen?

Pass the bong.

Well, it's lucky you found me then.

It IS worth importing. With maskrider's translations and a little grounding in Japanese, the menu navigation isn't too much trouble. You might like to check on some of the chipped-PS2 horror stories floating around though. I've not had the problem since I imported the PS2 with it, but I'm a rich bastard and don't like to excessively complicate things.

well, I'm a simple bastard so if it means fartin' about trying to decipher symbols etc I'll probably just wait until the UK release comes out, or at least 'try' a 'copy' from, ooooh, somewhere, a 'friend' or something perhaps :D
plus - I had an import of previous GT games and had to do it all again when I finally got the UK version as the save games weren't compatible, I think that was the case anyway ??

itching to play it though......

scabbyhorse2
of all the forums in all the world i had to come to this one (to find out if it was worth importing) and I find a Barry! lol!
Barry who?

It's some guy from another forum daan & I frequent. Don't ask.

Back