Endurance Races

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 27 comments
Hi guys! Just joined yesterday! :)

Now, from what I understand, there are 3 or 4 24 hr races in GT4 and you CAN NOT pause the game during these races, you can only pause the game and get back to it at a later time.

What I'd like to know is: won't the PS2 overheat if kept on for hours and hours? Secondly, does installing a USB cooling fan stop this from occuring?

Also, if you happen to go up against a Sauber C9 or Mazda 787B, is it best just to restart and hope for an easier field? (I have heard that if the Sauber is in the race it's practically impossible to win..?)

I know a guy who hasn't switched his PS2 off for months and it's the new slimline model, the old brick can take even more. That's not a concern for you. And the Sauber can certainly be beaten, especially if you're driving yourself. If you're handing it over to the B-Spec Botcher nothing is for sure but it should still be possible with the right car, ie. the 787B or the Pescarolo-Judd '04. Both of those beat it in the stint length, the Pescarolo possibly even in outright pace.

I know a guy who hasn't switched his PS2 off for months and it's the new slimline model, the old brick can take even more. That's not a concern for you. And the Sauber can certainly be beaten, especially if you're driving yourself. If you're handing it over to the B-Spec Botcher nothing is for sure but it should still be possible with the right car, ie. the 787B or the Pescarolo-Judd '04. Both of those beat it in the stint length, the Pescarolo possibly even in outright pace.

Thanks, Greycap. Not sure if you can buy the Mazda outright but I'm pretty sure the Pescarolo-Judd '04 is 4,500,000 credits. Is it better than the Playstation Pescarolo C60?

Good to know that it won't overheat. As for B-Spec mode, I haven't even touched it and don't intend to :) (if I can help it)

Theres a used 787B for something like 1.2 million credits. Comes in a sweet black colour too. :D

The Nurburgring 24h races have cars such as the Falken R34 and the Opel Calibra. You need not worry about the Sauber and 787B there. ;)

Theres a used 787B for something like 1.2 million credits. Comes in a sweet black colour too. :D

The Nurburgring 24h races have cars such as the Falken R34 and the Opel Calibra. You need not worry about the Sauber and 787B there. ;)

Yeah, you're right! It comes up towards the end of the yearly cycle, doesn't it? Haven't seen it yet, though but when I do (and if I have enough cash) I'll grab it immediately :D

You're welcome! And if you can't wait until the end of the cycle for some reason or the other, you can go and get a brand new one in the authentic livery from the Legendary section of the Mazda dealership for 3.500.000 credits. About the Pescarolos, the newer one is faster than the older one. On the other hand it consumes more fuel, but this leads to you being able to run on a R3/R2 tyre combination (and it still drains the tank before the tyres are gone) as its tyre wear is very low.

the nurburgring one is really easy, just leave a fully tuned Audi TT Touring car (the blue red bull one) on B-spec and boom! you have an F1 car and 1,000,000cr! The endurance one at Sarthe II is annoying though since your car just plummets into the wall on the long straight...

And no, as long as your PS2 is in open space (not in an enclosed area or anything) then it won't over heat.

As for B-Spec mode, I haven't even touched it and don't intend to :) (if I can help it)
the nurburgring one is really easy, just leave a fully tuned Audi TT Touring car (the blue red bull one) on B-spec and boom! you have an F1 car and 1,000,000cr! The endurance one at Sarthe II is annoying though since your car just plummets into the wall on the long straight...
I really doubt his car plummeting just about anywhere on that straight unless he makes a mistake. And the Nürburgring might not be that easy. I know that it's tempting to post without reading all the preceding posts but still...

You're welcome! And if you can't wait until the end of the cycle for some reason or the other, you can go and get a brand new one in the authentic livery from the Legendary section of the Mazda dealership for 3.500.000 credits. About the Pescarolos, the newer one is faster than the older one. On the other hand it consumes more fuel, but this leads to you being able to run on a R3/R2 tyre combination (and it still drains the tank before the tyres are gone) as its tyre wear is very low.

Just a side-note about the Mazda vs. Pescarolo, the same things you've said about the PlayStation Pesky/Judd can be said about the 787B. With an oil change, the Mazda puts out 843bhp and can run with an R3/R2 tire setup for a full nine laps around Sarthe1. Even then, fuel is still the limiting factor (you'll probably be pulling into Pit Road with one or two bars left). You can probably count on laps in the consistent ~3:20" range excluding your in- or out-laps.

Also, once you've developed a working familiarity with Sarthe's layout (The Line, brake points, angles for turn entry/exit, apexes, maximum cornering speeds, etc.), you'll easily be able to out-pace the Sauber in the Mazda, AND run longer stints on softer tires.

It's not that I have anything against the Pesky/Judd, per se, it's just that I believe that the Mazda can do everything that car can do, and for a cool million cheaper!

I really doubt his car plummeting just about anywhere on that straight unless he makes a mistake. And the Nürburgring might not be that easy. I know that it's tempting to post without reading all the preceding posts but still...

ah no sorry. I had read all the posts, but I must of not taken that bit in properly. And with the plumetting into the wall bit, it does happen. There's a whole thread about it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Which car do you guys personally find to be your favourite in GT4?

On a separate note, I know it's off topic and should be reserved for the Enthusia Professional Racing forum but it seems that the GT4 forum is far more active and so I thought I'd ask here.

If any of you guys have completed Enthusia, could you please give me some hints as to how best to win the Caterham R500 Superlight and the Audi R8 2004 race car? I have been trying for hours (they are the only two cars I need to collect in Free Racing mode) Do I need to use a specific car and select a specific track for each?

Welcome to GTPlanet, Ryan81...

Which car do you guys personally find to be your favourite in GT4?

Click (Adcanced) in the Search bar on top and center of every page, type "favorite" in the search bar, and select GT4 forums on the pull-down menu.

It's too vague a question considering that GT4 has 700+ cars, and no one car can complete the game.

On a separate note, I know it's off topic and should be reserved for the Enthusia Professional Racing forum but it seems that the GT4 forum is far more active and so I thought I'd ask here.
Use the respective Enthusia forum at GTPlanet, or use the search again.

In short...We don't encourage one-stop shopping, if you know what I mean.

And with the plumetting into the wall bit, it does happen. There's a whole thread about it.
I know. It does indeed happen with B-Spec, but not with A-Spec. And as he's not going to use B-Spec it certainly won't happen - unless he makes that mentioned mistake. ;)

So what's a good car to run in the Ring 24, that will provide a decent challenge and last a while before having to pit?

I know. It does indeed happen with B-Spec, but not with A-Spec. And as he's not going to use B-Spec it certainly won't happen - unless he makes that mentioned mistake. ;)

Suppose... Unless he has some sort of strange spasm that happens every time he gets to a certain point on the straight. Now that would be strange :lol:

And my personal favourite car on GT4... I think it most probably is the Suzuki in my picture. (I've forgotten what it is called though!) I deserve to be shunned! Shun, shun, SHUN!

Oh and I've never heard of Enthusia before so can't help you there sorry.

So what's a good car to run in the Ring 24, that will provide a decent challenge and last a while before having to pit?

Cyborg, the Nissan Z Concept LM you win from the Japan Championship race will easily defeat the competition in the Nürburgring 24hr, but it's not the best choice for points/challenge unless you burn the oil up and add ballast or use slicker tires. Even then, I'm not sure it would be all that challenging since the field is generally populated by cars in the GT-300 category.

Another, perhaps even better, choice would be the Mercedes Benz 190E DTM race car won from the Schwartzwald Liga B races. Definitely more in-line with the competition, power/weight wise...

What I'd like to know is: won't the PS2 overheat if kept on for hours and hours? Secondly, does installing a USB cooling fan stop this from occuring?

That'll be a definite no, as evidenced by the 2 quotes below:
(N.B. You can clicky the little speech bubble after the "Originally posted by ..xxxx.." to find the original posts in context.)

Just a brief update - I've just finished the Nurburgring 24hr and finally shut down the PS2. It's been on for 153 hours straight...

I'll add to the write-up, and my sig, tomorrow. Now I need bed...

Report finished, pictures to come later on! :D
PS2 was on for almost 23 days straight without a break, and now has a well deserved rest! :eek:
That's 543 hours! And it's the old brick-style PS2 too, from 2001.
Anyone having concerns about overheating or leaving a PS2 on should be made aware of this! :D

Plan ahead:
Make sure if you're in shared space and can't be hooked up to the TV all the time that you have a dedicated (preferably UPS) power outlet for your PS2. 👍
Affix a POST-IT note over the power button with "DO NOT TOUCH" on it! 👍
At the end of every driving session, pause the game. Use the controller to scroll down the "Paused" menu options from "Continue" past "Exit" to "Screen Settings". 👍
(This way if anyone does inadvertently touch the controller, and press X or O, they'll get into the Screen Settings menu rather than continuing your race for you unpiloted! :scared: :lol:)

As far as the Sauber C9 & Mazda 787B go as "impossible-to-beat" opposition goes, I can categorically state that that's not true, as I've taken both of them on, and won, in a 200 A-spec point race. :D

@ CyborgGT: For Nurb 24hr you won't need anything like as fast as a Le Mans racer. 👎
Depending on your ability I'd say that a DTM or JGTC500 ride would be an easy shot, and if you're feeling like a more interesting challenge, a Group B Rally Car or JGTC300 ride will give you a great, high A-spec point race. :D

At the end of every driving session, pause the game. Use the controller to scroll down the "Paused" menu options from "Continue" past "Exit" to "Screen Settings". 👍
(This way if anyone does inadvertently touch the controller, and press X or O, they'll get into the Screen Settings menu rather than continuing your race for you unpiloted! :scared: :lol:)

I haven't tested this so it's just a theory. But what if you just remove the controller after pausing? That way no one will be accidently pushing X as there is no X to push. 💡

The entire game may freak out. And that's certainly something you don't want on the later half of a 24 hour race. But having a wireless controller can help a lot in situations like this, go Logitech. :D

i have one :D.., i liked that car because i have a small scale model of the car. the green & orange paint job looks....refreshing..., :)

Plan ahead:
Make sure if you're in shared space and can't be hooked up to the TV all the time that you have a dedicated (preferably UPS) power outlet for your PS2. 👍

Smallhorses, you and Famine are.....monsters.., :scared: keeping the PS2 up for 153 and 543 HOURS!!!! DAMN!!! when i get a job....,

Smallhorses, you and Famine are.....monsters.., :scared: keeping the PS2 up for 153 and 543 HOURS!!!! DAMN!!! when i get a job....,

Actually the job was part of the cause of the prolonged race!
I'd started the race, done about 8 hours of it over 3 evenings, and then got sent away on business! Having already done 8 hours of a 200 A-spec point race I was buggered if I'd turn it off, so it stayed on while I was away for a little over a week! Came back and finished it off in 1 or 2 hour sessions after work each day until I was done, and hence 23 days had elapsed!

Welcome to GTPlanet, Ryan81...

Click (Adcanced) in the Search bar on top and center of every page, type "favorite" in the search bar, and select GT4 forums on the pull-down menu.

It's too vague a question considering that GT4 has 700+ cars, and no one car can complete the game.

Use the respective Enthusia forum at GTPlanet, or use the search again.

In short...We don't encourage one-stop shopping, if you know what I mean.

Fair enough.

Plan ahead:

Good idea 👍 :)

Luckily, I'm an only child and my parents very seldom go into my room but I'll let my Mum know not to touch anything...

The entire game may freak out. And that's certainly something you don't want on the later half of a 24 hour race. But having a wireless controller can help a lot in situations like this, go Logitech. :D

Actually, not always. When I did the Nurb 24, I always kept my DS2 unplugged (never use it anyway) and would unplug my DFP after each session. The game never did anything strange; it would just calibrate the wheel and be ready to go.

I kept my PS2 running on the races for 24hours without no heat problems. Sure it was hot, but no overheating or automatic turn-off's. I even held it for more when i was doing the 8hours at Motegi.

Actually, not always. When I did the Nurb 24, I always kept my DS2 unplugged (never use it anyway) and would unplug my DFP after each session. The game never did anything strange; it would just calibrate the wheel and be ready to go.
Yes, the magic words here being "always" and "unplug my DFP". I have no doubts about everything working in your scenario and it's probably the best possible for situations like this. The DFP shouldn't cause any trouble, it's an USB device and those are built to be plug-and-play when the actual machine is running. It's the unplugging and re-plugging of the DS2 that can cause the freak out, I'm not saying it's certain but it can happen.

Yes, the magic words here being "always" and "unplug my DFP". I have no doubts about everything working in your scenario and it's probably the best possible for situations like this. The DFP shouldn't cause any trouble, it's an USB device and those are built to be plug-and-play when the actual machine is running. It's the unplugging and re-plugging of the DS2 that can cause the freak out, I'm not saying it's certain but it can happen.

I understand you now; I thought you were talking about unplugging ANY sort of controller. (Not going to try unplugging a DS2, though. Last thing I need is a game freaking out on me:).)

Actually the job was part of the cause of the prolonged race!
I'd started the race, done about 8 hours of it over 3 evenings, and then got sent away on business! Having already done 8 hours of a 200 A-spec point race I was buggered if I'd turn it off, so it stayed on while I was away for a little over a week! Came back and finished it off in 1 or 2 hour sessions after work each day until I was done, and hence 23 days had elapsed!

no, what I meant is, when I get a job, i'll have MY PS2 running for countless hours playing GT4, just like you two guys..,

My ps2 has been left on since early November. Only time it gets a break is when the power goes out.

I check it every time I play it to see if it gets warm, but it never has. I got the old first generation brick ps2 though.

Latest Posts

Back