Wireless internet problems.

MagpieRacer

Premium
England
Wymondham, Norfolk
Seagull_Racer
So, set up computer and everything, fresh install of xp, drivers installed etc. So I thought I would go ahead and get wireless going. Plugged in my wireless USB adapter, 802.11g etc yada, installed fine, found the name of the wireless network, clicked it, it said connected, strong signal, double clicked IE, nothing, says something about proxys in the bottom left but nothing happens. Do I need to install the ISP software on my pc (its AOL btw) or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

Are there other computers/devices using wireless and are they working properly?

Edit: Alright. So I'm a bit slow. I post the above, proceed to the dishwasher to start emptying it, get halfway done and realize one of two things. Either you are on a different computer, thus answering my question or you're running hard wired (otherwise how would you be able to post?!?). :dunce: I'll let you answer that before we continue.

Yep, the Playstation 3 is connected to it and it works fine. Although initially had problems with that as well, someone managed to get that working for me, they went on some sort of website to do with router settings, cant remember what it was.

But basically, yes, PS3 uses wireless and works properly.

Yep, the Playstation 3 is connected to it and it works fine. Although initially had problems with that as well, someone managed to get that working for me, they went on some sort of website to do with router settings, cant remember what it was.

But basically, yes, PS3 uses wireless and works properly.

See the manual for your router it will tell you what to do.

Click on tools, internet options, the conenctions tab, the LAN settings button, and make sure that 'use a proxy server' is unticked.

done that DQ, first thing I checked, still got nothing. TB gave me somethng to try so in the morning I will give it a go, hopefully should wok.

Is there any firewalls installed? If so check its application settings and "allow" IE. The firewall I have installed currently doesn't seem to allow me to choose whether to allow some programs or not (through a pop-up) to access the internet.

If not then the XP's built-in firewall should allow it automatically anyway... so I'm not sure.

The only reason I went with a PM was to ask some background questions such as if there was security set up and the like. Copy/paste from PM:

If you have a passcode set up and MAC filtering turned on, you'll need to get the passcode from the router and the MAC address on the USB adapter. The MAC address is 12 digits with both numbers and letters. It should jump out pretty quick. Write that number down. If you can, hard-wire the laptop to an open jack on the back of the router. In a web browser, type in 192.168.1.1 and see if it brings up your Netgear router (on my Linksys, it's at 192.168.1.1 but yours might be different - maybe 192.168.0.1) then under Wireless --> Wireless Security, look at what your Security Key is and write down what that number/letter string. Then, under Wireless --> Wireless Network Access add in the MAC address of the adapter and save.

Once you've allowed the USB adapter onto the network, on the laptop search for wireless networks and connect to yours, as you may have multiple networks in the area. A security box should come up asking for the passcode. Enter in the Security Key you wrote down earlier and it *fingers crossed* should work.

Back