• Thread starter Pako
  • 9 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Well, my Sony cybershot finally died yesterday so I had to get a new camera. I opted for the Nikon D40X 10.2MP SLR kit that Costco had. It was a bit of a impulse purchases, but after I got home, I did some heavy research against the Canon Rebel I was looking at and feel comfortable with my purchases. It came with a case, charger, batter, 1gb SD card, 18-55mm lenses, and a 55-200mm lenses. It's has some really nice pro features but can be used with point and shoot accuracy. With start time of only .18 sec, I can turn it on and take my shot with out loosing my opportunity for the picture. Tons of features and the lightest SRL that Nikon makes. Here's a couple shots I took this morning...Cropped and ImageShack compliant. The 10mb RAW versions just wouldn't upload, go figure:

It's a shame autofocus only works on AF-I and AF-S lenses because Nikon has a really good 50mm F1.8 prime that's great for kids and indoors. Anyway, enjoy your new camera!

I know it. One of those things.... with the focus drive on the lenses instead of the body, it does create some limitations. I didn't have any lenses' prior, so I wasn't too concerned with it. I hope in time that I remain unconcerned with this design.

:)

Thats a great camera. I bought it and then sold it to my friend a couple weeks later. It wasn't that i didn't like it ( i have a D50, D80 and had a D70s) i just had bought my D80 and a job had fell through that was paying for it so i had to sell it. My friend loves it and the brief time i had it was great. Good choice! I was really amazed at the SP-800 flash that i borrowed this past weekend, really nice.

I bought myself a Nikon D40 only last weekend. I don't know anything about photography but I'm either going to take lessons or teach myself properly about it, and most reviews of the D40 said it was a great entry level DSLR.

KM.

I bought myself a Nikon D40 only last weekend. I don't know anything about photography but I'm either going to take lessons or teach myself properly about it, and most reviews of the D40 said it was a great entry level DSLR.

KM.

Ditto that, apart from the "last weekend" bit - got mine about 3 months ago. My first SLR and I love it. Considering the soaking it got at Goodwood last weekend, I'm suprised it's still going at all, but nope, still going strong.

The 55-200mm Nikon lens is currently on sale for €100 less than the usual asking price in the store I bought the camera so I may pick it up just for the hell of it. If I'm gonna get into photography, may as well pick up good lenses while they're cheap. I'm determined to learn all about that stuff in the long-run so I may as well pick up funky zoom lenses I don't understand while they're cheap, right?

KM.

Here's some shots from yesterday at Glacier Park. We even had a little excitement with Jeep in the ditch. They must have life flighted someone out of there.

Nice work. And congrats on entering dSLR world. I'm a Canon man myself, but there are some Nikonians around here.

Nice work. And congrats on entering dSLR world. I'm a Canon man myself, but there are some Nikonians around here.

Hey thanks for the dSLR welcome.... I almost got the Canon counter part to this Nikon, but the Nikon package offered a better bang for the buck on this particular package. I think I would have been fine with either one. The one limitation as F1GTR pointed out is the lack of lenses support. Not having any prior lenses, and being a newbee and all to this type of equipment I can say that ignorance is bliss and I'm having waaaay too much fun than anyone should be allowed with this camera. :)

Back