SONY LCD vs SAMSUNG LCD

• Thread starter RUI
  • 20 comments

RUI

Portugal
Vila Real
RuiGT
Well, I finally decided to get a Full HD LCD and was thinking about the SONY 40W2000, its price having recently gone down a bit here in Portugal - you can get it in a ‘physical’ store for + - 1950 euros (I don’t want to buy it online: it’s much cheaper but I’m afraid something may be wrong and I and get stuck with a flawed product:grumpy:).
The thing is, after visiting one of these stores – Radio Popular - I began to look at a Samsung LE 37 M87BD (which is under 1400 euros) and seems to be even better than the SONY in some features (game mode?, 3 hdmi, contrast?). The size is not relevant as I would have been looking for a 37’ SONY if only they made them but I don’t like the plastic frame of all these new Samsung models and have read here and elsewhere its quality is quite poor and gets very dusty…
Now, should that alone put me off from getting it? It’s over 500 euros difference between these 2 models so would the Samsung be a good enough LCD?
D-N and all others, I’m waiting for your suggestions!

RUI

I remember reading elsewhere (and probably from D-N too) that Sony actually use displays made by Samsung, so I doubt either way you would get better or less picture quality. The Sony being a Sony, means you are going to pay a little premium over the Samsung, but in my opinion they are the same. Just Samsungs look better with their black surround.

Sharing two Samsung displays in the household myself (32" and 26"), yes they get dusty quite easily, but in no way at all do they lack in quality. One is 2 years old and the other is nearing a year, and I've had no issues with them whatsoever, and are a real treat to use with anything HD played through them.

I would 100% recommend the Samsung.

I'm going to throw a hammer in your machine here...

I spend hours reading and searching when we were shopping for a Full HD capable TV - And ended up with a Sharp - Yep. Who'd have thought it beforehand. And I must say - I am MORE than happy with it. The picture quality is nothing but outstanding (I know, each to his own and all).

It has just been on sale here in DK for a measly 1100 Euros for the 37" (which is what we have)..

So before you decide, take a look at the Sharp XD1E. Not only is it a great set, but it's also very very good looking - Even when turned off...

Has 2 x HDMI which does it for us - HTPC and PS3...

Only in Sony's early days did they use samsung pannels when they hadnt started making the technology themselves, now all Sony's TV pannels are their own using the Bravia technology and made in japan. In my opinion they are far superior to samsung. Also samsungs black surrounds scratch really easily even if you touch it because its gloss. Im trying to save up for a Bravia now but even 32" is pricey!

Robin

I'm also about to buy full HD tv,because Gran Turismo is coming closer and closer. So I got a question for you guys. What size would be ideal, or good enough for GT. I mean I don't want it too big because picture won't be as nice as a smaller tv's. Something like 36'ish to 42'ish is what I'm looking for. And what kind would serve GT better? LCD,DLP,Plasma,other? So I need your help because I'm clueless I have no idea which one to buy. All my friends that I ask each one of them have a different answer. So please answer me because I really want to buy tv at begging of October. Perhaps there is a discussion somewhere on the board, then please point me to it, because I couldn't find it in search. Thank you very much.

I'm also about to buy full HD tv,because Gran Turismo is coming closer and closer. So I got a question for you guys. What size would be ideal, or good enough for GT. I mean I don't want it too big because picture won't be as nice as a smaller tv's. Something like 36'ish to 42'ish is what I'm looking for. And what kind would serve GT better? LCD,DLP,Plasma,other? So I need your help because I'm clueless I have no idea which one to buy. All my friends that I ask each one of them have a different answer. So please answer me because I really want to buy tv at begging of October. Perhaps there is a discussion somewhere on the board, then please point me to it, because I couldn't find it in search. Thank you very much.

I would personally recommend LCD, Plasma can have burn it effects which is not good for use on playstation because a stationary image left on the screen for a long time could leave a permanent image ruining the screen (such as the speedo on GT) also you wont be able to use them with your PC. Definitely go for LCD as they are quite common and prices are falling really rapidly.

Im not a fan of projectors as I just dont like shining it onto a wall and also they can be fiddlely to setup and need to be watched in a dark room, but you do get more size for your buck.

36" is a good size to start at and 32" I think is ok aswell but it really depends on your budget.

The link below is a discussion thread for deals on 1080p displays (the resolution to best enjoy GT at!). You will be able to ask more questions and also get some tips in there...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90918

Hope this helps slighty...:)

Robin

Robin///////
In my opinion they are far superior to samsung.
In what way? Picture quality? If it's for the overall set I agree - it's built a bit more solidly, and the sound that comes out of the set itself is better, but as for picture quality, I have noticed minimal difference. When I was out looking for a 32 incher, I was particularly interested in the Samsung or the Sony Bravia, but I could not see why I was paying an extra £200 for the Sony. The Samsung's was just as vibrant, just as clear and the Samsung had a better contrast ratio (though I admit I didn't see any difference in that respect).

I ended up buying this: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...eady-Neo-Mosel-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html

From the sounds of it, Sony have overtaken Samsung on some aspects, but it's whether you want to pay that extra for it, as there's some awesome deals on Samsung displays all the time. But I need to stress the Samsung will still not break easily. They are not as flimsy as they used to be.

Also - Flerbizky does bring up a good point. Sharp TVs are pretty good as well. Hell, any top-brand TVs out there - Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer, Toshiba, LG etc are so competitive now there is no major factor splitting them picture quality-wise.

Edit: Found some reviews:

Samsung - there was no 37" model but it's the same but bigger: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030218,49290215-2,00.htm

Sony - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030219,49285565,00.htm

M86 as well as newer version of that f86 supports true 24Hz(movies without 3:2 pulldown) unlike w2000. F86 is currently my no.1 pick for next tv but i still want to wait and see how good toshiba z is(which also supports true 24hz). Tvs that claim to use same panel have nearly allways been spotted to have different pixel layout in close tests.

G.T
In what way? Picture quality? If it's for the overall set I agree - it's built a bit more solidly, and the sound that comes out of the set itself is better, but as for picture quality, I have noticed minimal difference. When I was out looking for a 32 incher, I was particularly interested in the Samsung or the Sony Bravia, but I could not see why I was paying an extra £200 for the Sony. The Samsung's was just as vibrant, just as clear and the Samsung had a better contrast ratio (though I admit I didn't see any difference in that respect).

Your right, I was talking about the whole package like the solidness of the unit etc, also I like all the technology they put into it (you know like all the stuff they say are in their cameras). Also for a person like me who always uses the sets speakers rather than surround I prefer the slightly better quality but most will use other speakers.

RUI,

I'm not familiar with the Samsung LE 37 M87BD (they use different model nomenclature around the world which sometimes makes it difficult to know what model in the US is the counterpart for comparison). I will say though that the SONY 40W2000 is a very nice display, and while it does use a Samsung LCD panel as mentioned in this thread already by G.T, it distinguishes it self in many other ways.

It is important to keep in mind that just because two models share the same panel doesn't at all suggest they will look the same, far from it. There are many, many different components in a display that impact the over all quality of the display.

Among the countless numbers of LCD displays you can find significant differences in image quality even though several will be using the same or very similar panel design.

Frankly though, the differences between similarly designed Sony, Samsung, and Sharp LCD TVs are going to be marginal at best. The three 'S' are leading the higher end LCD market, as they have for quite some time and will likely continue to do so.

I will say though, of the three companies, Samsung generally has been the value leader without compromising on quality, which is why they have been one of the best selling LCD manufacturers for the last few years... they also have a very interesting new screen technology that works similarly to how density lens filters work on front projectors to improve black levels and contrast.

However, with the latest crop of LCDs from any of these three companies, you are not likely going to go wrong. They all make excellent higher end displays that most anyone would be very happy to own. 👍

As for buying online, I imagine this is definitely a YMMV situation. I know here in the States at least, there are many laws that protect consumers, as well as the added protection you can get with your credit card companies, and of course there are so many very reputable online retailers now who have been selling successfully for well over ten years, but I'm also sure there this is not going to be the case everywhere, and that there are obvious pit falls and risks. Of course the same can also be said for many bricks & mortar retailers as well.

The best advice I can give is to buy from a reputable source, be sure you fully understand the return policy, and if you can, pay with a credit card that offers added buyer's protection. 👍

Doing all that, you'd be pleasantly surprised how many trouble free great deals there are to be had by buying online. I know I almost never post "online deals" in the 1080p thread, and instead post mostly B&M Costco deals, but that's because not only are many of their "deals" really great, especially compared to other B&M retailers, but that they also have an excellent return policy... although not nearly as liberal as it once was, but too many people were abusing the previous policy, so they had to change it.

Not sure how much help I've been as I think you already are headed in the right direction. 👍

Only in Sony's early days did they use samsung pannels when they hadnt started making the technology themselves, now all Sony's TV pannels are their own using the Bravia technology and made in japan.
I don't know where you are getting your info from, but until six months ago, all of Sony's BRAVIA displays were using Samsung LCD panels.

Yes, it is true that with Sony's latest 7th generation LCD displays, they are now finally using their own panels... but even today, Sony continues to sell many LCD displays with Samsung panels. and of course there is still a lot of 6th gen Sony stock in retail distribution.

I know this first hand as I just recently bought my parents the 46" 1080p BRAVIA and after setting it up and calibrating it, it was clear this had the well known "backlight cloudy" issue. It took very little time to find out that this was a panel design problem and that the manufacturer of the panel in the BRAVIA was indeed Samsung.

There have been a few threads where "size of the screen" discussions have been made, but it just so happens one was just recently brought up in of all places, the GT4 forum:
I posted several times in that thread, and some of the info I think you'll find pertains precisely to some of your questions.

As far as what type, a lot would depend on your wants & needs. Unfortunately, there is no one display technology that is the best in every criteria... which is why the marketplace is so crowded with lots of different types of displays.

I almost never recommend a Plasma, for many reasons like burn-in, pixel grid, color inaccuracies, screen reflections, installation, power consumption, etc, but to be fair, there are some situations where a Plasma may in fact be a fine choice.

DLP, LCoS, and LCD all can offer excellent color accuracy, none of them uses phosphors so they are not susceptible to burn-in, although LCD can suffer from a form of image retention, but this is easily fixed by the user, where as actual phosphor burn-in is permanent.

DLP & LCoS traditionally are much better than LCD in terms of pixel grid (AKA screen door). Most 1080p DLP and LCoS will have little to no pixel grid lines, while even the best LCD panels will have grid lines. Of course depending on how large they are, and how far away from the screen you are sitting this can easily be a none issue.

DLP has traditionally had the best contrast & black levels, but at least in terms of ON/OFF contrast, LCD and especially LCoS has made significant improvements over the years.

There are many other differences between all these display technologies, but I think you get the general idea. Also, these are just generalities. There are always exceptions, both good and bad among displays using the same technology.

I would be happy to help you narrow down your choices, but to do that reasonably accurately, I would also need to know more about your needs and restrictions. Like;
  • Where will the display be placed? (describe the room if you can)
  • How far away from the display will you be sitting?
  • How many people at one time might be watching the display?
  • What kind of sources will you be feeding the display? (UHF, Cable, Satellite, VHS, DVR, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, Consoles, PC/HTPC, etc)
  • Of the sources you use, how would you rank them by importance?
  • How much natural light is in the room when you expect to be using the display?
  • How much light control do you have in the room?
  • What kind of budget do you have?
  • How long do you generally keep a display before upgrading it?
How you would answer these and other questions would likely make a big difference in what type and size of display is going to best meet your needs.

I would personally recommend LCD, Plasma can have burn it effects which is not good for use on playstation because a stationary image left on the screen for a long time could leave a permanent image ruining the screen (such as the speedo on GT) also you wont be able to use them with your PC. Definitely go for LCD as they are quite common and prices are falling really rapidly.

Im not a fan of projectors as I just dont like shining it onto a wall and also they can be fiddlely to setup and need to be watched in a dark room, but you do get more size for your buck.
That's good advice on the burn-in issue as well as the price value in LCDs. Also, while it is true that front projectors require a more hands on approach, and most require a great deal of light control to get a superior image to direct view displays, many are still among the very best displays one can own, and would make even the best LCD displays look inferior by comparison. High quality front projectors are still the pinnacle of over all display technology, but they certainly are not for everyone, and are not without their own set of issues.

Robin/////// and Digital-Nitrate thank you very much for your tips and links, this will definitely help me make my decision. Now I need couple more paychecks and I will go tv shopping ;) Thanks again.

Digital-Nitrate first of thank you so much for volunteering to help me. And here are my needs:

*My TV will be placed in my bedroom most likely. Don't know the size of my room but it's not that big it is decent size.
*I probably will be sitting somewhere between 7-14 ft away.
*On average 3 People my best GT buddies (playing GT5) :D
*Probably just PS3(Everything I'm buying PS3, TV is for Gran Turismo) obssesed much?:D
*PS3 Importance well that is the most important, then just regular tv.
*My room is pretty bright, the only time sun gets on tv is on sunset, one window that faces west.
* I got three lights inside room and I got blinds so I can control lighting in my room quite a lot.
*I want my tv to cost no more than $2K, but if I need to pay couple extra dollars over 2K no biggie, but not by much.
* I'm not planning to replace this tv till it breaks, unless I get rich playing lottery :)

I hope this helps narrow my needs down.

And again thank you so much my friend. :bowdown:

Digital-Nitrate first of thank you so much for volunteering to help me. And here are my needs:

*My TV will be placed in my bedroom most likely. Don't know the size of my room but it's not that big it is decent size.
*I probably will be sitting somewhere between 7-14 ft away.
*On average 3 People my best GT buddies (playing GT5) :D
*Probably just PS3(Everything I'm buying PS3, TV is for Gran Turismo) obssesed much?:D
*PS3 Importance well that is the most important, then just regular tv.
*My room is pretty bright, the only time sun gets on tv is on sunset, one window that faces west.
* I got three lights inside room and I got blinds so I can control lighting in my room quite a lot.
*I want my tv to cost no more than $2K, but if I need to pay couple extra dollars over 2K no biggie, but not by much.
* I'm not planning to replace this tv till it breaks, unless I get rich playing lottery :)

I hope this helps narrow my needs down.
It does.

Based on these answers, FPs and RPTVs can be ruled out immediately, which also rules out DLP and LCoS.

You really won't get much more value from large higher end displays, as much of that extra cost is going into size and video processing. If this is in a bedroom and you are going to be about 10' away or less and at most only about three people will be watching at any one time, then you really don't need anything larger than 47". 32" inches is likely going to be too small.

With that screen size range, then a direct view LCD display is definitely going to be your best choice. It also doesn’t sound like you have a particularly bright room with no light control, so there would be no reason to get a Plasma.

You also don't need a display with a lot of state of the art processing, as it sounds like this is going to be used primarily with a PS3 which will do all the majority of the processing for the display... so no need to waste your hard earned money on a higher end display.

Now as the PS3 and specifically GT5 will be a primary use, and I suspect Blu-ray movies, as you can even rent them for the same cost as a DVD, will also be getting some play time on your PS3, then you definitely want to be sure your display has a native 1080p resolution (AKA Full HD).

Given all this, I think you'll be very happy to know that you'll get as much joy from a 42" 1080p VIZIO for about $1,000 than you would with a $2,000 Sony/Samsung/Sharp 1080p LCD.

I'm sure you can find many ways to enjoy the $1,000 savings! 👍

It does.

Based on these answers, FPs and RPTVs can be ruled out immediately, which also rules out DLP and LCoS.

You really won't get much more value from large higher end displays, as much of that extra cost is going into size and video processing. If this is in a bedroom and you are going to be about 10' away or less and at most only about three people will be watching at any one time, then you really don't need anything larger than 47". 32" inches is likely going to be too small.

With that screen size range, then a direct view LCD display is definitely going to be your best choice. It also doesn’t sound like you have a particularly bright room with no light control, so there would be no reason to get a Plasma.

You also don't need a display with a lot of state of the art processing, as it sounds like this is going to be used primarily with a PS3 which will do all the majority of the processing for the display... so no need to waste your hard earned money on a higher end display.

Now as the PS3 and specifically GT5 will be a primary use, and I suspect Blu-ray movies, as you can even rent them for the same cost as a DVD, will also be getting some play time on your PS3, then you definitely want to be sure your display has a native 1080p resolution (AKA Full HD).

Given all this, I think you'll be very happy to know that you'll get as much joy from a 42" 1080p VIZIO for about $1,000 than you would with a $2,000 Sony/Samsung/Sharp 1080p LCD.

I'm sure you can find many ways to enjoy the $1,000 savings! 👍

Fantastic!!! Seems like I need one more paycheck and it will be plenty. A million thank yous again, you are very knowledgeable, and I appreciate your time for posting this. I will make sure to post picture once I buy my tv. :cheers:

thanks everybody for their answers;

to Flerbizky: I'd go for the Sharp myself: it looks better than the glossy Samsung and it's got great reviews; the thing is, Sharp doesn't seem to care much about this southwestern tip of Europe and it's almost impossible to find their TVs on any of the major stores here:indiff:

to Digital Nitrate:thank you for your comprehensive post; I buy many things online, it's just that for such a big purchase I'm a little afraid; the chances of something going wrong may be small but I just don't want the assle of having to ship the TV back because it's the wrong model (you can´t open the package on dellivery) or there's some other problem with it:ill:

Also, about the LCD panels, I've heard that Sony uses Samsung panels but Samsung uses other "cheaper" panels from other brands on some of their LCDs... is this true and is it the case for the M86/87 series?

RUI

RUI
thanks everybody for their answers;

to Flerbizky: I'd go for the Sharp myself: it looks better than the glossy Samsung and it's got great reviews; the thing is, Sharp doesn't seem to care much about this southwestern tip of Europe and it's almost impossible to find their TVs on any of the major stores here:indiff:
RUI
You're more than welcome - Happy to spread the word :-)

And - It's the same thing here - When I first decided on the Sharp, it actually took me about a month and a half to actually find one.. But damn glad I waited and didn't settle for the "not so happy to do 1:1 pixelmapping" Samsung !...

And yes - It does look quite good ;-) And you do have to look at it, turned on or not, so it's not a bad thing it's easy on the eyes....

Sony KDS 55 A 2000

FULL HD, 55 inch ( 139 cm ), 2,5s reaction time, perfect picture quality.
If you are smart, go with this one. :)

If you are not that smart, but still a little smart, here a second advise : If you can get sth from Japan ( Sony ) don't buy sth from Korea ( Samsung ) ;)

If you are not that smart, but still a little smart, here a second advise : If you can get sth from Japan ( Sony ) don't buy sth from Korea ( Samsung ) ;)
Due to their partnership, both are mainly manufacturered in a plant in Korea.

Edit:

Source.

Not that it matters anyway...

G.T
Due to their partnership, both are mainly manufacturered in a plant in Korea.

Edit:

Source.

Not that it matters anyway...

Well, aside from the fact that it wasn't meant that serious ( > ;) in my post ), Japanese technology tends to be higher in quality compared to other Asian products. The gap is getting smaller and it might not be true all the time, but most of the time.
But I was talking about Japanese technology, not about the actual country of production. It's not that I think that a Korean guy can't do the same job as a Japanese guy when they build together the panel in some factoy. Japanese electronic companies are longer in business and therefor they usually are a step before their Asian neighbors. Also they often focus more on the higher priced premium products and Korea or China tries to get market share by offering cheaper Tv's etc.

This Sony KDS 55 A 2000 I talked about is produced in Europe.

From what I can see, Samsung is very very good at advertising, design and at getting exclusive deals. Yet I don't see their products a lot in German electronic highscore lists. There is a LG or Smasung every now an then in the low TOP 10, but Pioneer, Sony etc are still ruling these lists, not only in the overall ranking but also in picture quality...

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but until six months ago, all of Sony's BRAVIA displays were using Samsung LCD panels.

Yes, it is true that with Sony's latest 7th generation LCD displays, they are now finally using their own panels... but even today, Sony continues to sell many LCD displays with Samsung panels. and of course there is still a lot of 6th gen Sony stock in retail distribution.

I know this first hand as I just recently bought my parents the 46" 1080p BRAVIA and after setting it up and calibrating it, it was clear this had the well known "backlight cloudy" issue. It took very little time to find out that this was a panel design problem and that the manufacturer of the panel in the BRAVIA was indeed Samsung.

I knew that Sony used to use Samsung panels, I didnt knew they used them to as recient as 7th gen.

I was talking inparticularly about Bravias for Japans home market (the ones thats look different from the EU ones, they have glass surrounds) all those pannels are Sony's own. They also seem to have all the latest technology some of which has not yet made it out to other regions.

I guess its my personal opinion and maybe I was looking at an older samsungs or maybe it was setup wrong but the sony ones looked better with the colour saturation clarity and brightness.

Also because I want one for use with a PS3 and me having alot of other Sony stuff I would like to keep it all the same brand as I have some wierd thought that if its all one brand it was all made for each other and it will work better! :lol:

The marketing always sells me (im a sucker for it, and advertisers dream! :lol: I loved the colour like no other balls advert in San Fracisco) and hell if they invented Trinitron then thats good enough for me!

You could argue that now Samsung and Sony are in a technology sharing partnership that all thier pannels are the same from both companies but yet each one does brand thier TV's as having 'thier own developed panel'.

Robin

Back