• 4 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
Hi guys I've been around since last August but have decided to post a little summary of my journey here since I was inspired by another poster and I realized I've never really gave good background on myself or taken the time to properly introduce myself here.

So here's what I wrote up (originally intended for a response in the online GT5 section but became too long xD)

Wow I never even thought about this. My first online race was last September in iRacing. So I've only been racing online for about a year.

Before that I would only hotlap in random games like Forza 3 and Dirt. Back in my GT4 days I would spend hours just hotlapping around in rally cars and the FGT @ Monaco. I mostly just tried golding everything and doing missions until I hated life xD.

Wait no! My first online race was in Prologue at a friend's house. I watched him race a few times then I grabbed the DS3 and gave it a go. I hadn't played GT since the GT4 days a while back from then so I was really crappy, especially at Suzuka in the GT-R.

I got a PS3 mostly for Metal Gear Solid 4, then later on I picked up GT5:P just to try and re-live the glory days in my room hotlapping in GT4. I passed the single-player, thought it was too short, avoided the online portion 'cause I didn't want to deal with pressure and decided to hotlap around different tracks to see how I'd stack up in the leaderboards. I was crap so I pretty much just grinded my way to an F2007 after a few months, drove that around, thought it sucked, and I never played it again.

I started really getting into racing back in 2005 when Alonso won the WDC, I was a big fan of his title grab against the Schumi monster. As I got more and more into F1 over the years I started to really get into the driving mechanics over a while and really dived into driving theory 'cause I also have an intense interest in physics. So I always tried to apply the things I studied about real-life racing to my hotlapping in different games. I slowly started realizing that the physics just weren't right and the cars in these, more arcady games. Although fun, the cars in these games weren't reacting as I'd understood they should in the different books I read and such. I became a racing snob, so to speak, and became really appreciative of racing simulators.

After dealing with that I decided that I'd get into GT5 and give its online racing portion a good try since I read some good things about their enhanced physics. This was after I had some great go-kart races with my friends at this outdoor kart track over in California (Riverside somewhere, forgot the name of the place).
That's where the racing bug bit me.
I became all about duking it out on the track, overtaking, following close, chasing, what have you. I had stars in my eyes.

I thought to myself, " Man I've really been missing out on these racing sims online. I get it now."

So I looked into Forza for a bit since I was mainly playing my Xbox early last year. But I really didn't like the 8 car limit and wacky race modes, as well as the matchmaking. I also hated the wheel after trying it and didn't want to buy a Fanatec. I was a purist right away. I figured I'd just wait till GT5 to come out since I thought I might be more comfortable with the physics from all the hours I put into GT3 and 4 even though I did realize GT5 wasn't the best of racing sims. I wanted serious racing but didn't feel quite prepared to race in serious online racing leagues in sims even though I really got excited by reading about some of them. I wanted to slowly build myself up, so I thought GT5 would be a good tool for that. I wanted to use GT5 like learning to race with a condom :D. Then I decided to register here on GTP last August in order to try and get into some organized series.

I somehow had the foresight to get a good wheel early realizing that they'd probably be hard to come by if I waited till the Fall to get a wheel.

I ordered my G27 in August of 2010 and hit the ground running. Race '07, F1 Championship Edition, GT5:P, nKp, FVA, Dirt 2... then came iRacing. I heard about it through researching different sims and my first impression was that it was only for "pros" whatever I thought that meant...
But I decided to give it a go since they had a special and the F1 car coming so I couldn't resist. I haven't stopped racing it since...

But GT5 became my quick favorite for racing due to the expansive possibilities for different racing series. Especially Super GT, which I love.

GT Academy brought me into it more and the great people I've met so far through GTP have made it even better than I could think.

Now I feel like a real part of the GT5 online community and it's a place I'd like to stick around with as I hope GT5 has some real updates coming soon.

Thanks for reading, see you around 👍

Last edited:
Back