◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
I have an ideal that I've been thinking of since last week when someone was doing doughnuts in the racing line while qualifying.

Who the heck was doing doughnuts on the track during qualifying??? That isn't and never has been tolerated. :irked:

Now if we could just figure out what's causing all the pops and cracks that seem to plague the D2 lounge. Reckon I need to do some research on just how the network connections/hosting for gt5 is implemented. Don't know if I can figure out what it is but ....

I'm not certain what "pops and cracks" you're referring to since I wasn't in the D2 lounge with you, but I do know that kcheeb's mic sounds like Rice Krispies sometimes. :lol:

Who the heck was doing doughnuts on the track during qualifying??? That isn't and never has been tolerated. :irked:

That's correct the track needs to be clear for drivers doing hot laps at all times! If there's an area off track you can do doughnuts on, burn the rubber up, but don't get in the way of people on track!

I'm not certain what "pops and cracks" you're referring to since I wasn't in the D2 lounge with you, but I do know that kcheeb's mic sounds like Rice Krispies sometimes. :lol:

Hah, we disproved my mic as the culprit last night. I did one race with the headset shut off, not just muted, still happened.

It was a little strange driving without the headset, it's amazing what you get used to for feedback.

Hey Oshawa-Joe, did you race on your new rig last night? How was it? I pulled a seat out of my spare MR2 on Saturday. Did a bunch of measuring and calculating yesterday afternoon (Had to use wikipedia to refresh my knowledge of how to find the 3rd side of a triangle using cosine). Then went to Home Depot and bought wood and bolts last night. I'm excited about it. My wife... not so much. :)

Are you modeling it after the MR2 cockpit? Mine is down to the millimeter of my AE86. :sly:👍

It looks like Division 4 didn't mind the oval at all. I wasn't confident in it at first but there was a little strategy involved. I'm actually sorry to see it go...

This was a hard week to vote for me, I liked all of them 👍 In the end turning left and right won out :lol:

Are you modeling it after the MR2 cockpit? Mine is down to the millimeter of my AE86. :sly:👍

Heh. No. Well, I didn't take any measurements from the car. I just went with what "felt right". Thought I'm building it to be adjustable so I can tweak it to my liking.

I guess that's why we have voting. At least we won't have the NSX and/or Motegi any more. It was getting a bit old.

I like Motegi and I like the NSX, but you're right, they've been around long enough. It was my second choice.

I really liked driving the DB9, it surprised me, I expected it to be more tank like.

Kinda sad to see the NSX go. Was my best car and track combo so far.

But that's part of what makes this league fun and interesting is the dynamic nature of the car/track selection process. Looking forward to what's on the docket for next week.

Last edited:
I also liked the Motegi and NSX combo but I seemed to have major screen tearing, frame rate drops or just lag. It always happened during league nights just after turn 1 and before the under pass. Anyone else have issues like that?

I also liked the Motegi and NSX combo but I seemed to have major screen tearing, frame rate drops or just lag. It always happened during league nights just after turn 1 and before the under pass. Anyone else have issues like that?

It happened to me too in that spot, but not every time ...

I personally will be glad if Motegi goes as that track gives me flashbacks to gt academy. Not really but after all the laps there I'd be happy with something else anything else, please please please!!!!!! The ghost car multiplied and is everywhere now. Aaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Kinda sad to see the NSX go. Was my best car and track combo so far.

But that's part of what makes this league fun and interesting is the dynamic nature of the car/track selection process.

That remains to be seen, the track may get dropped. I hope that's the case.

It happened to me too in that spot, but not every time ...

I just noticed this for the first time last night. PD seems to have half-assed the Motegi track pack; we still don't get bonuses for any races there.

I personally will be glad if Motegi goes as that track gives me flashbacks to gt academy. Not really but after all the laps there I'd be happy with something else anything else, please please please!!!!!! The ghost car multiplied and is everywhere now. Aaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

I hope we can go from two Motegi races to none!

Screen tear seems to correlate to power sliding for me, the more agressive I turn the more tear. And that NSX can turn in FAST.

Some pics of my custom ghetto racing setup.
7996319000_7fe39e6b04_b.jpg

7996323562_1fe085a1da_b.jpg

7996315377_f69f75ef99_b.jpg

7996318429_c206d84df0_b.jpg

35 dollar seat, with track, from junkyard with a 2/4 frame. The computer table was a lucky fit.

I like Motegi and I like the NSX, but you're right, they've been around long enough. It was my second choice.

I really liked driving the DB9, it surprised me, I expected it to be more tank like.

I heard it both ways about the DB9 but I liked it. You could tell it was heavy but that car felt composed and was quick too. I thought it made for some close racing.

I heard it both ways about the DB9 but I liked it. You could tell it was heavy but that car felt composed and was quick too. I thought it made for some close racing.

Yeah, you just had to make sure you hit the breaks sooner then you may be used to, but then someone punts you from behind :ouch:.

Some pics of my custom ghetto racing setup.

35 dollar seat, with track, from junkyard with a 2/4 frame. The computer table was a lucky fit.

Are those clamps there to prevent the keyboard tray from sliding in and out? I'd be surprised if they were actually strong enough serve that purpose. I have my wheel clamped to a wooden desk and still yank it off sometimes! :ouch:

That's the truth, especially with so many hard braking zones.

There's a couple of things people forget about, myself included.

1. The draft has a big impact, you'll be going faster than qualifying or practice, you need to brake sooner.

2. When traveling in a pack (and not leading), your braking zone will begin earlier, as there's an accordion effect in play.

Haha I didn't play that track since GTA until we did the NSX there. I refreshed that thing for GT Academy over 2,000 times. Can't imagine how many laps I have around that track. Those cones caused me nightmares haha. I was actually surprised it didn't pop up at finals. I do love the track though. I'm hoping we keep the NSX and just change track.

I'm sad to see to the oval go, but I won't shead a tear over loosing the other Motegi layout. Those sweepers after turn 1 were killing me last night. Although I think the lag that people are talking about may have had something to do with it

I'm sad to see to the oval go, but I won't shead a tear over loosing the other Motegi layout. Those sweepers after turn 1 were killing me last night. Although I think the lag that people are talking about may have had something to do with it

I'm sad to see it go too, I almost won both heats last night! 1st and 2nd place finishes.

Skills

I noticed the lag spikes at the turn 1 overpass last night as well. It only seemed to happen during the race and when other cars were close by. Probably a contributing factor to my race 2 dc.

I'm sad to see it go too, I almost won both heats last night! 1st and 2nd place finishes.

I blew both of them, but it was still fun. Race 1 I was way out out front of the rest of the pack with ice_warden but we got together and I went all the way to the back, then I came back and went into the final turn 3 wide for the lead, but I lost it and ended up 6th.

Then race 2 I got into the wall and had to come from the back but I couldn't quite get to dg's bumper and nearly lost it in the final turn. Still made it back second though. That was wild.

Anyway, new SCT/ESCarGoT combos are posted for this Thursday

Here's a story about anger and reconciliation ;) And lessons learned...I hope.

I am slowly realizing that this whole racing thing can really get people really worked up over perceived wrongdoings on the track. I urge everyone to save their replays after the race (if they feel something has occured against them) and watch them as soon after the races as you can and look at them from the other driver's views. You may find that SOME situations may just be unavoidable and noone's fault.

Case in point...last night I had another reasonably terrible showing after getting the pole twice and qualifying second in the other race. I had such high hopes and knew I had the speed to win every race...if I could only keep it together.

Race 1...I'm right behind the leader Kronin coming out of the final turn of lap 2 or 3 and get on the gas a tad too soon and slide into the wall on the right. At this point I'm a little peeved.

Race 2...I start near the front now due to my crappy finish in race 1. Pretty good battle through the first few laps...Oshawa's car is at least 20ft wide and I can't get around him. Soren is on my ass and we just can't get by. Soren gets up beside me going into the first long left hander after the underpass and we are side by side and I get bumped into the dirt a little right in the braking zone. I managed to keep it together and stay alongside Soren through the next corner and get bumped again through the next corner and at this point we are going into the final sharp left and I'm out of sorts and frustrated and get sideways and blow my chnace of finishing well. I'm really upset and am thinking "dammit I am protesting some of this crap". So I sit down afterwards and watch the race and I realize that if Soren uses the same bumper or cockpit view like 99% of the people do (I use the above and behind view) then I am in his blind spot and he couldn't have known I was right there next to him. So I cool down a bit ;)

Race 3...I get pole so I know I can win this. In lead on lap 2 coming into the chicane after the long straight. Racefan thinks he can draft by before we hit the braking zone. Stuff happens and I get punted into the concrete barrier and the possibility of me winning is over and I finish near dead last and I'm pissed at racefan. I watch the replay and it turns out Oshawa gets kinda behind and between racefan and I and contacts racefan slightly and then gets into me pretty hard. Oshawa later reported himself...and it's all cool. Stuff happens...all is well. But at the time...my night is not going well...

Race 4...I start near the front again and have high hopes of winning. 1st turn of the first lap. Everyone is good going into the chicane. Dragonwhiskey gets caught out to the left of the line of cars so I let him in and tell him to go on and get in front of me so he can squeeze into the line just as we all do the right/left. By letting him in I get slightly off line for the right, go just barely over the green area on the inside and get a 10 sec time penalty. Race over....again.

Race 5...Pole position again. Racefan behind me. I'm already not happy with him due to what I THOUGHT was him punting me earlier. We race real close on the oval. Going into 3 I have been backing it in and getting a little sideways there nearly every lap. I do so again and racefan gets me and I spin out and everyone goes by. Racefan waits up for me and both finish near the back. I'm way upset because I knew I had a great chance of winning. I watch the replay from racefan's point of view and I realize that he really had nowhere to go. He was already committed to the corner, I get sideways a little more than usual and he has nowhere to go but into my rear quarter panel. Not his fault.

Race 6...I start near the front again ;) Yay me. In the lead and nearly the same situation as the race before but DGA gets into me. I am sooo livid that my night has been ruined by everyone when I could have won every race. I watch the replay and, same as the race before, but this time is was DGA who had nowhere to go. I started drifting and DGA had nowhere to go.

But I take this lesson with me...as the night went on I was getting so pissed off that people were ruining my night and all this bad luck was happening. But after watching the replays I realize that it was just racing. Most of the issues just unavoidable.

So try to stay calm and not point fingers at phantom targets. Save the replay and watch it with a nuetral eye. You may find that it was the adrenalin that was clouding your mind and firing up your emotions. See ya next week ;) Good racing D2...sorry I was secretly angry at some you! It was unfounded and I'm all better now ;)

Can we sticky or link-y to the post of my new 'hero of self perspective and reflection' - JoeW?

Great examples, Joe. I have been asking the D5 guys to save replays and
watch em before too much grumbling or too many complaints.

Watching an incident not only from your view or his is a good spot, but try the following cars as well as the lead cars, looking back.

Haha. Sticky away.

I like watching from the other driver's POV because I can then see that they literally could not have done anything to avoid the situation that arose. Once I see that, then I realize that I couldn't have done it any better either. I see that there was no "intent" or "divebombing" etc etc. Just close racing with good drivers who all want to win.

By watching a few of the other drivers race from their POV I also realized that many of them were braking earlier and consciously avoiding situations just like I was. I know, I know...you're thinking "how is this possible?". But it is possible. Not everyone was out to drive me off the road. They respected me just like I respected them. "Impossible!" you say. But nevertheless true. Cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria.

I had the same state of mind going on last week. The only difference was I was irritated by the changes in room/car behavior from 1 lounge to another and my poor reaction intensified my frustration with how poor I was driving.

This week I just decided to accept that not all lounges are created equal and to run to have fun. Even that pop, crackle, while distracting at times, wasn't nearly as annoying as last week. The only real difference I noticed was my attitude.

Official results posted tonight after complaint deadline?

Very interested to see what new cars/tracks we'll be running.

Back