• Thread starter Joey D
  • 12 comments

Joey D

Premium
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
So Kate and myself thought we would saddle up the MINI and take off for a destination unknown. I had a couple of ideas where I wanted to go and I ultimately wanted to end up in Grand Rapids where my aunt lives. Yesterday morning around 9 we headed off.

Our first stop was Hell, yes Hell. Some of you might remember posting pictures from a couple years ago when I went there but probably not. Hell is not recognised by the USPS as a town however, but it's a tourist attraction for anyone that comes to the area and the town actually does quite well for itself despite have virtually no one in it. There is a general store, ice cream parlor, a restaurant, and a dam. No the river that runs through Hell is not called the River Styx.

P7050022.jpg

P7050023.jpg

Another fun fact is that the "Highway to Hell" is actually called Darwin Rd. Possibly a cruel joke by some irritated Creationist :lol:? Whatever the reasoning it wasn't as exciting as I would have hoped but I did play the AC/DC song while driving down the road...on repeat. I thought Kate was going to shoot me.

P7050021.jpg

After leaving Hell because it wasn't all that interesting we headed for another town with an equally funny or impossible to believe name. Climax, and yes while driving down I-96 you can get off at Climax, which for the sheet novelty we did. Another funny note is that it's sister city is Intercourse, Pennsylvania. If that's not an awesome sexual innuendo I don't know what is!

P7050029.jpg

Not surprising the town of Climax was anticlimactic so I didn't bother taking a photo or even really caring to explore it. It was simply a street and nothing else. We then headed for another funny named town called Kalamazoo, yes it's a real town as well even though most people from outside of Michigan think we are making it up. It is the home of Western Michigan University and the Detroit Red Wings farm team. There isn't really much of interest there since it's a college town, although there was an awesome air and space museum called Air Zoo...ok well I shouldn't say there isn't much of interest because that is unfair. Kalamazoo is where Gibson guitars was founded, Checker Cab's Headquarter is, and chalked full of micro breweries.

Air Zoo was quite cool and houses the only remaining SR-71B in the world. Such an awesome plane and you don't realise how big it is until you get near it. There was also many other antique aircraft. I don't really know much about planes but it was still cool walking around and having a bit of a look. It was hard to take photos in there because it was so dark but here are a sample of some pictures.

P7050045.jpg

P7050053.jpg

P7050060.jpg

P7050073.jpg

From there we drove around Kalamazoo for a bit and got a hotel at a Hampton End...which was stupidly expensive. Why on earth does a King sized bed room cost most than a room with two queen sized beds in it? It was a nice hotel, very clean and the staff was overly friendly, but $134 for one night seemed a bit high...although it was cheap compared to other area hotels that I called.

After being disappointed by the price of the hotel it was still only 3pm so we took off for a town to the north called Cooper. I just had to get a photograph of my car buy welcome to sign, but as I made my way into town...which like all small Michigan towns was nothing more than a road with a fuel station, a church, and a party store I found numerous photo ops. My favourite though was the face that I found a little storage unit area called Cooper Mini Storage.

P7050126.jpg

P7050127.jpg

From there I needed some water, so we headed off for the little tourist town of South Haven. The town would have been great if it had not been the 4th of July weekend. It was packed with out of towners from Illinois and Indiana who acted as if they've never seen a giant body of water before. I didn't even bother snapping photos because of the disappointment in it all. I love Smalltown, USA, it's one thing about this country I adore, but they are getting ruined by people who come there en mass to get away from whatever it is they are getting away from and the worst part is they don't bother to support the economy there. They park their cars and walk to the beach, they don't eat in the town's restaurants, drink in their pubs, or shop in their stores. I found a lovely little roadhouse off the beaten path where I had the best burger in my entire life and then I ended up buying a giant wall clock for my parents from a little shop next to it. Without supporting the locals these little towns will no longer be there for people to enjoy.

After leaving South Haven we made our way back to the hotel via back roads. Now I know in my last travel log thread it was mentioned how boring Michigan was for driving. Now let me show you just how right you are! This is more or less what I endured for 45 miles back to the hotel. Corn and other farm crops, with a scattering of small towns with names like Glendale and Bangor...there was elevation changes though!!!

P7050133.jpg

P7050135.jpg

P7050146.jpg

Upon heading back into Kalamazoo I found this which made me laugh...Lovers Lane! I looked but could not find one of those adult fun stores on it though.

P7050156.jpg

We arrived back to the hotel via some little Mexican place that had pretty good burritos.

We woke up the next morning (today) and headed for Grand Rapids, which is a very nice city and one of my favourite urban areas to visit in Michigan. Since I had been there numerous times and I was on a bit of a time crunch I didn't stop but I do plan on going back soon. Anyways here are just a couple shots from the area. Oh and I thought it was funny there was a Shelbyville as well near buy, to bad it wasn't next to Springfield.

P7060165.jpg

P7060168.jpg

P7060169.jpg

After spending some time with my aunt we headed back home and I began writing this up.

Here is a rough idea of the route we traveled. a total of 475 miles in two days!

Route.jpg

Another amazing photo-journal. I honestly love reading these...

I had no idea about Hell and Climax, though! Sounded like a great trip, but that must be implied.

Sounds like a fun-ish trip. Air-Zoo sounds like it might have been interesting. I've always liked the Museum of Flight here, but ours seems a bit bigger and better.

No Holland? That's a pretty cool little midsize town. Grand Rapids is a good destination. I enjoy that little city every time I head into it. Certainly helps that it is a quite wealthy city.

Those roads through the country do get pretty boring though. The times I took Chicago Dr. to get to Grand Rapids were terrible, far worse than the freeway. I almost thought those shots of the roads you drove on were that road but I guess now. Shows how similar the whole place is.

Another amazing photo-journal. I honestly love reading these...

I had no idea about Hell and Climax, though! Sounded like a great trip, but that must be implied.

Thanks 👍! I have two more trips in mind this summer and probably another one this fall when the leaves begin to change. There are so many places to explore in Michigan and I sort of feel like I should see them. My grand though is to write up something a bit more complete about all my little adventures.

Sounds like a fun-ish trip. Air-Zoo sounds like it might have been interesting. I've always liked the Museum of Flight here, but ours seems a bit bigger and better.

No Holland? That's a pretty cool little midsize town. Grand Rapids is a good destination. I enjoy that little city every time I head into it. Certainly helps that it is a quite wealthy city.

Those roads through the country do get pretty boring though. The times I took Chicago Dr. to get to Grand Rapids were terrible, far worse than the freeway. I almost thought those shots of the roads you drove on were that road but I guess now. Shows how similar the whole place is.

I've been to Holland quite a few times and think it's a great town. Been there for the tulip festival before as well, which was my allergies living hell.

Pretty much all back Michigan roads look the same. They are long, flat, surrounded by farm land, and have a small town around every 10 miles or so.

I've been to Holland quite a few times and think it's a great town. Been there for the tulip festival before as well, which was my allergies living hell.

Pretty much all back Michigan roads look the same. They are long, flat, surrounded by farm land, and have a small town around every 10 miles or so.

I missed Tulip Time this year by a week or so. I think it would be cool to hang around there sometime. It would be pretty interesting to see that little town filled with tourists from all over the world.

I would imagine most back roads everywhere look like that though. Even here, they're all tree lined, twisty roads through the hills or farm lined roads like in Michigan.

Id love to go on a road trip like that one day, glad you had a good time 👍

It's fun but I don't really know how Europeans feel about driving that distance just for the hell of it. When I was over there people thought it was odd I drove 20 miles, one way, to work and thought nothing of it. It seems the distance perspective is quite different between America and Europe. I see 500 miles as a decently long drive but nothing I would dread. I get the feeling if I asked a European to drive that far to see really nothing at all they would think I'm asking them to prepare for an expedition.

Having spent a great deal of many of my summers in these parts of Michigan I am not surprised that all you found was a couple moderately comedic signs. There isn't much to see, so you gotta make the most of the few things. I do like the "State Penitentiary zone: Do no pick up hitchhikers" sign, but that's closer to the East of MI.

It's fun but I don't really know how Europeans feel about driving that distance just for the hell of it. When I was over there people thought it was odd I drove 20 miles, one way, to work and thought nothing of it. It seems the distance perspective is quite different between America and Europe. I see 500 miles as a decently long drive but nothing I would dread. I get the feeling if I asked a European to drive that far to see really nothing at all they would think I'm asking them to prepare for an expedition.

I think its more what type of person you are than whether your from Europe of the US Im sure there are a lot of people here go on long drives for the fun of it too. But true distances to you seem a lot smaller than to us.

Wow, the flash one. More features that you can shake a stick at.

I've got the nüvi 250W and it does everything I need it to. :)

I wanted everything I could on one and I really like the Bluetooth set up with it. I kind of wish I would have waited a little while longer though since the 800's are out now and you can talk to them.

Having spent a great deal of many of my summers in these parts of Michigan I am not surprised that all you found was a couple moderately comedic signs. There isn't much to see, so you gotta make the most of the few things. I do like the "State Penitentiary zone: Do no pick up hitchhikers" sign, but that's closer to the East of MI.

That's near Jackson, we passed it on I-96, but all prison in Michigan have those signs by them. Just up the road near Lapeer there is one of those signs.

I think its more what type of person you are than whether your from Europe of the US Im sure there are a lot of people here go on long drives for the fun of it too. But true distances to you seem a lot smaller than to us.

Oh I'm sure there are people, it just seemed like everyone I met was amazed with distances Americans travel.

===

Some information I neglected to say about the SR-71B. Yes there are other SR-71's in the world but the B is the only trainer remaining. You can barely see it in the photo because it's dark, but it has an extra canopy above the normal one where the instructor would sit.

Here is a photo of it:
765px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

Back