SIXAXIS Issue

• Thread starter Suede53
  • 20 comments
Suede53 / GTP_Suede53
I searched around here and the internet and I haven't found anything to help this issue yet. One of my sixaxis controllers won't sync. When I press the PS button it just blinks all four lights slowly. If I plug in the usb cable, it syncs right up and works fine. As soon as I unplug the cable, it's back to flashing. I've tried the little reset button on the back of the controller and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, the controller is fully charged.

Anyone heard or seen anything like this? Any thoughts before I call Sony? I've been wanting to get a DS3, but I kinda wanted it to be in addition to my existing controllers, not replacing one. :D

:cheers:

Do you use Linux on the PS3? I've found that the PS3's Bluetooth becomes unresponsive when I restart from Linux back to XMB. I end up shutting off the console and starting it back up again to get Bluetooth working properly again and recognizing my Sixaxis.

I have not heard of a similar issue Suede53, but I did a quick keyword search for SIXAXIS on Sony's PS3 Knowledge Center site and saw the following suggestions:

How do I troubleshoot the SIXAXIS™ wireless controller or DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system?

Try these common troubleshooting solutions for the SIXAXIS wireless controller or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller on the PLAYSTATION 3.

Reset the wireless controller

If you are experiencing difficulties with the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the PLAYSTATION 3, you may want to reset the controller to default settings:

1. Locate the small reset button on the bottom of the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller near the L2 shoulder button.

ps3_controller_reset.jpg

2. Use a small, unfolded paper-clip or something similar to click the button (the button is inside a tiny hole).

3. After resetting the controller, re-pair the controller with the PLAYSTATION 3 by connecting the USB cable to the controller and the system and pressing the PS button. See Setting up the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for more details.

Troubleshooting Tips

• Verify if the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller works with the USB cable.

• Verify that the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller's battery is charged.

• Attempt to pair the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller to another PLAYSTATION 3 system. This helps determine whether the problem is with the system or the controller.

• Attempt to connect another SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller to the PLAYSTATION 3.

• Move closer to the PLAYSTATION 3 system. The maximum range for Bluetooth is 30 feet.

• Make sure you have less than seven Bluetooth peripherals paired with the PLAYSTATION 3.

• Unplug any other USB device plugged into the system when pairing the SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller.

I hope this helps.

I have not heard of a similar issue Suede53, but I did a quick keyword search for SIXAXIS on Sony's PS3 Knowledge Center site and saw the following suggestions:

I hope this helps.

Thanks DN. I tried everything from that before except unplugging all other USB devices and cables. I did that and tried the reset again and it fixed it. 👍

:cheers:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am completely lost on this. And so I looked in gtplanet, found this thread, tried everything DN wrote and I'm still stuck.

I have two SIXAXIS. Since a few days ago, neither of them synchs with the PS3. Since it happened at the same time and with BOTH I guess the problem lies with the PS3 and not with the controllers.

Can anyone help?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am completely lost on this. And so I looked in gtplanet, found this thread, tried everything DN wrote and I'm still stuck.

I have two SIXAXIS. Since a few days ago, neither of them synchs with the PS3. Since it happened at the same time and with BOTH I guess the problem lies with the PS3 and not with the controllers.

Can anyone help?

Are both controlers assigned to 1 & 2 Mario, maybe thay are assigned to the same number.

BTW Mario, i've sent you a few PSN messages but you have not replied

Are both controlers assigned to 1 & 2 Mario, maybe thay are assigned to the same number.

BTW Mario, i've sent you a few PSN messages but you have not replied

No, they only get assigned numbers when they are connected by wire (and since I only have one cable, I can only use one of them at a time)

You sent me PSN messages? I don't recall having any, will check.

I've had the same problem once or twice, and I found that plugging them in, turning them on and than yanking the wire re-syncs them with the system.

I've had this problem like that before. But now it has become permanent, and the description is exactly the one Suede53 posted before, meaning:

When I press the PS button it just blinks all four lights slowly. If I plug in the usb cable, it syncs right up and works fine. As soon as I unplug the cable, it's back to flashing.

Only difference. It happens with both controllers. It's happening since a few days now. And nothing I do seems to solve it.

Maybe the problem is with my PS3. This weekend I'll take one of my controllers to a friend's house and try to synch it with his PS3.

My controllers do that occasionally but ONLY after I switch the ps3 off at the back if it has done something while its on. Then it takes a bit to sync the controller back up but I forgot how.

Just an update, for any other forum member that will in th future be faced with this problem. I solved it doing this:

1 - turned off the PS3 (not only standby, using the button placed at the back) and even unplugged it from the power source.

2 - connected one controller with the cable to the PS3.

3 - plugged the PS3 again and put the back button to "on"

4 - pressed the "PS" button on the controller

5 - Et voilá ... that made the PS3 turn on, the controller to be recognized as #1 and when I disconnected it from the wire it kept being recognized.

6 - After that, did the same with second controller, with the same results.

Problem solved.

Sorry to post again to this thread.

I just bought one of the silver dualshock 3 controllers and I can't use it. When I register it with my PS3 Slim, the lights on top of the numbers 1&2 light up, but I can't make any movements at all. I have 2 other controllers registered with my ps3 and the bluray remote as well.
I tried resetting the controller but it didn't work.
Any suggestions anybody?

What happens if you hold down the PlayStation button? Are you able to assign the controller a higher number like four? Does the controller work when plugged in?

Sorry to post again to this thread.

I just bought one of the silver dualshock 3 controllers and I can't use it. When I register it with my PS3 Slim, the lights on top of the numbers 1&2 light up, but I can't make any movements at all. I have 2 other controllers registered with my ps3 and the bluray remote as well.
I tried resetting the controller but it didn't work.
Any suggestions anybody?

If it has multiple lights on, that means it is registered as a number higher than 4, try turning off and unplugging anything connected with the PS3 and plugging the controller in via the USB cable and pressing the PS button.

What happens if you hold down the PlayStation button? Are you able to assign the controller a higher number like four? Does the controller work when plugged in?

When you hold down the PS button on the XMB, it brings up the "Turn off System" "Turn off Controller" menu, however if you hold it down in game, you can reassign controllers and turn vibration on/off. (The same can be achieved by going to "Settings--->Accessories--->Reassign Controllers)
You can have up to 7 devices connected via bluetooth, though most games only support 2-4 players.

The controller works when plugged in, infact that is how you charge it.
I suggest you read the online PS3 manual as all of this and more is covered.

From,
Chris.

Reviving an old thread as now I seem to have a problem. I have 2 ps3 controllers. One works fine. The other only works when plugged in. Thing is when it isn't plugged in if I push the PS button it is effectively dead. No lights flash nothing. Even though it is charged it wont work unless plugged in. Tried resetting to no avail. Thats my 2nd controller that has somewhat died.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had a spare battery from my broken sixaxis and tried that out. DS3 in full working order again. Battery died.

Last edited:
I am having a similar problem. My SIXAXIS DUALSHOCK3 controller for my PS3 work while plugged into the USB connection. If I try to use it wirelessly, the lights will blink for about one minute and then it will power on. However, while on, using it wirelessly, the PS3 is slow to react.....to clarify, it usually does not recognize the direction that I tell it to move or will move with delayed movement....sometimes moving erraticly. Keep in mind that the controller works flawlessly if connected to the USB cable. I have tried the reset button on the back of the controller, I have tried powering off the machine first, connecting the cable, and synchronize the controller while connected....all to no avail. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I am having a similar problem. My SIXAXIS DUALSHOCK3 controller for my PS3 work while plugged into the USB connection. If I try to use it wirelessly, the lights will blink for about one minute and then it will power on. However, while on, using it wirelessly, the PS3 is slow to react.....to clarify, it usually does not recognize the direction that I tell it to move or will move with delayed movement....sometimes moving erraticly. Keep in mind that the controller works flawlessly if connected to the USB cable. I have tried the reset button on the back of the controller, I have tried powering off the machine first, connecting the cable, and synchronize the controller while connected....all to no avail. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Maybe the battery or sensors have gone in the controller? Try reading the Online PS3 Manual suggested before. If that doesn't help fix it then call Sony. They'll have a brainiac that can offer advice or suggest a switch.

I have 2 sixaxis controllers which were working fine few days back. Now both controllers do not work wireless. but works fine when connected with USB cable. Its not a problem with PS3 system, as i have checked with a friends controllers which can be paired though USB and then when usb is removed and PS button is pressed it registers with my PS3.
I have reset the controller many times, did whats there in many forums, but its not working.
I am going mad because still the unregistered controllers do power on my PS3 system wireless. 👎

do any one of you have this problem?/ need a help//

Back