1970 Dodge Challenger

• Thread starter TheMarco
  • 21 comments
marcovhv
TheMarco73
So I got this car because it's one of my favorite classics but there's something really weird about it. When driving it it seems to max out at about 112mph in 4th gear with the engine making some sort of intermittent vrooom! vroooom! vrooom! sound. It doesn't seem to have more than 4 gears.

In the American Muscle car challenge it seems all other cars are faster than me on straights.

What is going on with this car? Is this normal? I'd think it would go faster with the huge HEMI engine and all.

I love this car but it seems there's no way to win with it.

Ideas?

Thats probably the true top speed if you mathematically figure the reptoted power and weight. Most know that all those muscle cars were grossly underrated in hp, but no one told PD. It may not make a difference, most muscle cars only got up to 120 or so, so unsafe at speed anything more would mean certain death lol.

+1 👍

Oh and chuck on a Few Tuning Parts aswell Exhaust , Filter and Stage 1 Engine Tune makes them come alive :drool:

Hehe. As the other guys said, you need the most expensive gearbox. The old muscle cars are awesome. I bought the Camaro Z28 and slaped on the titanium racing exhaust. The car has a brutal sound when your reving it to te red line:)

Go buy the fully customizable gearbox. Then in the tuning settings (your garage) you can ... well basicly set the max speed. (i belive you can also fiddle with the details yourself, but they where greyed out when i was there)

I had the 69 (or 70) Dodge Charger. Same problem. Tuning it to 300 max speed solved that... I won the races. :D

Thanks guys! I love my 'plum crazy' colored Challenger! I'll give this stuff a go tonight after the thanksgiving madness is over :D

Yeah, same thing happened with my Mustang Mach 1. Not a good thing to discover when you're already down on power from the rest of the field.

I also thought my Challenger was broken when everyone zoomed by me on the straights lol. I then thought the Challenger was a POS. But my Dad owned one and it was anything but. So I'm gonna follow the help here and tune the snot out of it.

Bonus tip: buy it in the Sublime green. I painted my Miata wheels green to match reality :sly:

Muscle cars are all about Torque, more than high range power, they are all about the 1\4 mile hence the low top speeds, slap on a 6 speed box with new clutch and flywheel.

Then set the Final Drive ratio very high but not so much that you cant reach top speed.

Beware this is at the cost of acceleration though.

It doesn't seem to have more than 4 gears.

Most late 60's/early 70's cars didn't have more than 4 gears. Ever here of the term "Four on the Floor"? It meant that you had a 4-speed manual transmission with the stick shift coming out of the floor as opposed to being on the steering column, which was more common in early sixties cars.

Haven't got the Dodge Challenger but I have bought the Tempest Le Mans GTO '64 with fully custom gearbox, it sounds like darth vader is under the hood!

I bought and raced the 1970 Challenger yesterday and it is not realistic at all. The engine sound is way off from the interior of the car. The only sound you get in the game from the interior is the whining of the tranny, which only really happens in an automatic in these cars. Also, the gearing is terrible, the way PD chose the gearing means it has about a 3.91 rear end ratio from the factory, while this is possible it was a rather rare choice for the Challenger when new. My final complaint would be the redline, 5500rpm, about 1500-2000rpm too low. At 5500rpm the Hemi should still be pulling hard and the oiling system would be able to keep up until at least 7000rpm. However, the handling does seems to be rather realistic.
I own a 1973 Dodge Charger and have driven Challengers and this one is nothing like the real thing.

You are definately hitting the Rev limit. The '70's muscle cars weren't about top speed, but getting to top speed as fast as possible. 120+ MPH in a muscle car in the '70's was certain death if you wrecked. That's why drag racing the muscle cars in the day was "the thing to do", since top speed wasn't the issue.

The 1970 Challenger in the game isn't very close to the real thing. It doesn't sound right to me.

It really depended on the rear end gear you ran.

Most all muscle cars were either 4 speed manuals or 3 speed automatics.
Unless special ordered in a few cars they were geared similarly.

The Challenger as protrayed in GT5 would have to have a high 3 or low to mid 4 rear gear to run out at 120.

Not so with many muscle cars that came with low 3 gears. Even with a three speed automatic they could easily run top speeds in excess of 150 mph.

However, most were done at 5500 to 6000 rpm.

All the power was low to mid range with the exception of the Boss 69/70 302 Mustang and the the 69 Z-28 302 Camaro.

These were the first factory cars to push the rpm of the power band above 6000.

Yep rev limiter is an issue on all the muscle cars.
In the case of the Challenger though forget the Race tranny and go full race mod. This makes for a pretty sweet classic race car :)

RM challenger works pretty good but you lose the really nice rallye dash package that I remember so well from my 72 sad mouth. I admit the sound is waaaay off

Back