mazda rx7 spirit r type a (fd) '02 tune advice

• Thread starter sinistro
  • 14 comments
pantano
I am trying out this car and sofar I like my own setup a lot but I find one flaw atm and whould like to ask those who understand tuning better then I do what to adjust to solve this.

I got this sofar, most upgrades done
493CV 1061kg

aerodynamics: 0/28
drivetrain: 10-40-20
suspencion:
height: -5 -5
spring rates: 8.9 6.8
damper ext: 6 6
damper compr: 5 5
anti roll bars: 4 4
camber: 0.0 0.0
toe: 0.00 0.20
brakes: 5 4
soft race tires
all aids off and abs 1

It drives very nice but the flaw I find is that the back looks like to slide out on long highspeed corners.
How to solve this? There might be more and better tunes for this car but its my tune and I trying to understand how to solve this to get a better idea of what happens and how to solve something like this.

Last edited:
try this

drivetrain: 15-30-25
suspencion:
height: -13 -13
spring rates: 9.4 7.3
damper ext: 6 6
damper compr: 5 5
anti roll bars: 3 3
camber: 0.8 0.7

Camber helps, and adding a wing for rear downforce will help too.

Edit: whoops, missed that you already added a wing.

Well, I suggest going to RKM Motorsport, I've heard great things about Rotary Junkie's tune. It doesn't have too much power so you may need to uninstall some parts. As far as fully modded ones go, I'm trying to create my own tune for it, but fully tuned it slips n' slides on the sports soft tires I drive on. Hope this helps!

RKM Motorsport- https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136731 (Hooray for advertisement XD)

put a little bit of toe-in on the rear suspension. it will keep the back end seated a bit more in the corners. i believe there is .20 toe-in preset on the full race suspension but for cars where you want traction it is best i find to set it at .30-.50

I was just trying to find a Tune for MX-7, tried a few but one link that directed me to some tuning garage was WAY too twitchy, maybe good for someone with quality wheel and pedals.

I just drove the 4hour Tsubaka endurance with RX-5 (2 hour last nite and 2 before that = total 173 laps) - after that I decided to concentrate to RX-7 as it's been my "on the (maybe) affordable" list when I was around 18 and got my license.

Anyways, I couldn't find a decent tune that suits me (using normal DS controller) - so I went back to Tsubaka racing track and started tweaking.

It's good enough for now, but not perfect since I only drove around ~30 laps, with different set-ups. Feedback is welcome, if you got time to test my tune, please report how you did :)

Here goes:
══════════════════════════════════════════════
Mazda éfini RX-7 Type RZ (FD) '96 - TUNE
UPGRADES:
-Chassis: Weight reduction stage 1, Rigidity improvement.
-Engine: Stage 2 + Performance Chip
-Intake: Max
-Exhaust: Max
-Turbo: NOT BOUGHT
-Drivetrain: LSD + best clutch and flywheel.
-Suspension: Fully customizable
-Transmission: Fully customizable
-Tires: Racing Soft

SETTINGS
-Aero: 0 / 20
-LSD: 15-50-18
-Height: -20 / -16
-Springs: 7,8 / 5,6
-Extension: 3 / 8
-Compression: 2 / 7
-Anti-Roll bars: 2 / 4
-Camber: -2,0 / -2,4
-Toe: -0,07 / +0,25

-Brakes: 7 / 6
-Aids: ABS=1, Everything else off.

-Gearbox: I tested first with default gearbox, but had too
much space between gears, since the power curve it pretty much
up, so I changed to fully customizable, the settings I drove were
default on that part.
Easy on the throttle on 2nd, and you'll won't burn much rubber,
at least on this tune since it's not totally maxed.
Tsubaka:
My best time with this setup: 56,630

EDIT: I started thinking about the time.. I got my tuning notepapers
in front of me, and best lap time wrote down in front of me is 56,630.
- but on the roadster 4 hour endurance cup my best was just a tiny bit
under 59.000 - could this car be so much faster on this track or might I
have mistyped it as 58,630?

I'm pretty sure it was 56,630 but if someone could/would
test this set and give your opinion, would be nice also thinking of that
too. Thanks.

I might have squeezed in maybe half a sec if I'd REALLY tried
but I had 2hours endurance behind me, so not on my sharpest.

But it's a fun car to drive and track was pretty familiar, so did
my best on that short time I had.

Also remember this is without Turbo, and only
Stage2 on the engine with 1st stage weight reduction.

Feedback on this set-up and possible improvements for tune
would be definitely appreciated.
Would also be interesting to hear your lap times,
and other or suggestions on improvements on the car with a short description of your
driving style if it differs much from my tune, spesicifly for Tsubaka track. 👍

Doesn't matter if the car is not identical, most of us have at least one RX-7 in our garages I'd doubt.

Thanks

Jay

Feel free to add me especially if you like semi-serious racing with not overpowered cars, or just fun casual driving. :) (-That is, if they get their PSN fixed before the apocalypse of 2012..)

I use the normal DS controller, mostly trying to drive with aids off (except ABS usually 1). Wheel would be nice tho.. maybe some day.

Last edited:
Check this, it help me a lot.

CAR OVERSTEERS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CORNER:
-Front spring too soft.
-Rear spring too stiff.
-Front sway bar too soft.
-Excessive front toe (in or out)
-Improper camber settings.
-Not enough negative Front camber.
-Excessive positive camber in the Rear.
-Too high a differential ratio causing wheel spin.
-Front shock compression too low.
-Rear shock rebound too high.
-Rear shock compression too high.
-Spoiler downforce too low.

CAR OVERSTEERS EXITING A CORNER:
-Too much positive Front camber.
-Too small a front sway bar.
-Excessive front toe (in or out).
-Too large a rear sway bar.
-Rear ride height too high.
-Rear shock compression too stiff.
-Front shock rebound too soft.
-Front springs too weak.
-Rear springs too stiff.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Check this, it help me a lot.

CAR OVERSTEERS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CORNER:
-Front spring too soft.
-Rear spring too stiff.
-Front sway bar too soft.
-Excessive front toe (in or out)
-Improper camber settings.
-Not enough negative Front camber.
-Excessive positive camber in the Rear.
-Front shock compression too low.
-Rear shock rebound too high.
-Rear shock compression too high.

CAR OVERSTEERS EXITING A CORNER:
-Too much positive Front camber.
-Too small a front sway bar.
-Excessive front toe (in or out).
-Too large a rear sway bar.
-Rear ride height too high.
-Rear shock compression too stiff.
-Front shock rebound too soft.
-Front springs too weak.
-Rear springs too stiff.

Thanks, saved that in .txt format to my GT5 folder. It's a good guideline but kind of shooting in the dark if you don't know at least a little what you're doing.

If you know cars you know by driving it from the feel and handling what's wrong and there's usually only one thing you tweak at a time, maybe two max. Then run some laps to see if you got it closer to perfect and find another possible improvement to adjust.

Also since there's MR, FR, RR, FF, (MF?) and 4WD with mid or front engines, and different types of cars, naturally they all have to be tuned individually.

One good tip is to ONLY change one setting at a time. Also do enough laps that u're adjusted to the changes (-if they clearly weren't for the worse), then get your best time and go back to the drawing board.

State of mind where you don't mind driving practice mode or endurance, where you're sharp and driving consistantly - but don't mind driving around in practice mode also helps. ;)

Thanks, saved that in .txt format to my GT5 folder. It's a good guideline but kind of shooting in the dark if you don't know at least a little what you're doing.

If you know cars you know by driving it from the feel and handling what's wrong and there's usually only one thing you tweak at a time, maybe two max. Then run some laps to see if you got it closer to perfect and find another possible improvement to adjust.

Also since there's MR, FR, RR, FF, (MF?) and 4WD with mid or front engines, and different types of cars, naturally they all have to be tuned individually.

One good tip is to ONLY change one setting at a time. Also do enough laps that u're adjusted to the changes (-if they clearly weren't for the worse), then get your best time and go back to the drawing board.

State of mind where you don't mind driving practice mode or endurance, where you're sharp and driving consistantly - but don't mind driving around in practice mode also helps. ;)

I have also my tune if you want to ty it ......
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5241989#post5241989

Problem: Jay is using a '96 RX-7... Which is a Series 7 and while a bit calmer than the Series 6 cars it's still a complete axe murderer next to the Series 8. Every tune everywhere is for a Series 8, usually the '02 Spirit R. Those settings simply do not work on any RX-7 built before the '98 model year.

Problem: Jay is using a '96 RX-7... Which is a Series 7 and while a bit calmer than the Series 6 cars it's still a complete axe murderer next to the Series 8. Every tune everywhere is for a Series 8, usually the '02 Spirit R. Those settings simply do not work on any RX-7 built before the '98 model year.

This is a big problem efectively... 👎 sorry for that, i'll look better next time.

You're overlooking the most important aspect of tuning this car. It's 50-50 weight distribution. The rear should be slightly stiffer than the front, and you should add ballast. About 35kg is a good amount, for street tires use a 49-51 distribution, for race 48-52, any more becomes progressively more undrivable. You can also remove a little aero with rear ballast or supplement existing downforce.

Congrats on your introduction to tuning and set up. It will open up a whole new aspect of the game that some people find just as enjoyable as driving.

The RX7 is a good starting point and the concepts you learn can be applied to other cars

I tried your settings on a similar car. But I used sports hard tires. The car has quite a bit of mid corner under steer. You could be correcting for it and the excessive steering input contributes to your oversteer.

Try reducing your rear toe and adding some negative front toe to the car. I guessed at -.07 front and .12 rear and it helps the cart turn. The mid corner under steer is substantially reduced for me with these changes.

But now the car under steers at corner exit. Increasing your rear spring rate, or increasing the damper compression on the rear damper, will help reduce the corner exit under steer issues.

Praiano provided some very good material for you.

Also, racing soft tires mask the car's flaws. Try using sport tires when setting up your cars. You can always upgrade later.

Back