Supra RZ by Fumes

• Thread starter fumes
  • 5 comments
CptTitan1972
Here is my Supra RZ setup for GT5.
This car was gifted by a PSN friend, with all the parts he wanted already purchased. I didnt need to purchase anything (thanks, since I'm out of credits after a $20M car purchase), including the Engine and body rigidity refresh from GT Auto. <-- Thanks many people forget that, and wonder why their car doesn't handle using the same setup someone else used.

Prior to tuning the car, the setup that came with it understeered severely.
It's a heavy car and it just wants to go fast in a straight line, ask it to turn and it still wants to go straight.

717bhp (will be higher with an oil change)
1228kg.

Body
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Chassis Reinforcement
Aero = 0/20
Ballast = 0 / +40 (rear) <--- could be a placebo effect.

Engine
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU

Intake
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter

Turbo
Mid range turbo <--- less turbo lag but same output as High turbo

Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Catalytic Converter

Transmission
Racing Transmission = 350kph or 217mph

Drive Train
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel

Full Customizable LSD
Initial Torque xx/5
Acceleration Sensitivity xx/30
Brake Sens xx/6

Suspension

Ride Height
Front: -15
Rear: -14

Spring Rate
Front: 16.0
Rear: 13.0

Dampers (Extension)
Front: 3
Rear: 3

Dampers (Compression)
Front: 9
Rear: 8

Anti Roll Bars
Front: 3
Rear: 5

Camber
Front: 3.0
Rear: 1.8

Toe
Front: +0.05
Rear: -0.20

Brake Bias
Front 7
Rear 5

Tires
Front Racing Soft
Rear Racing Soft

Some notes:
Despite the huge amount of power, the car doesn't oversteer (much) with Racing Softs.
The car is tuned for a very, very slight oversteer. Looks cool around some slower corners with some controlled powersteer.
Be careful with the gas pedal, when the turbo kicks in it's an extra 200hp. That causes the weight of the car to shift to the rear, and if you are in mid corner, traction for turning can be lost.

I was getting consistent 1.53s in Grand Valley, with my best time at a low 1.52.
This Supra was also tuned on Deep Forest.
I didn't get a chance to try it out on La Sarthe, which is a must for it's bumpy surface and high speed straights. But Grand Valley and Deep Forest is a good representation of all the other tracks.

And all feedback for improvement is welcome. Make your feedback constructive however.
What works, what doesn't, when, why, etc.

717hp / 1228kg

LSD: 5/30/6

Ride Height: -15 / -14
Spring Rate: 16.0 / 13.0
Ext: 3 / 3
Com: 9 / 8
ARB: 3 / 5

Camber: 3.0 / 1.8
Toe: +0.05 / -0.20

Brake Bias: 7 / 5

Tires: Racing Soft

Test Track: Deep Forest Raceway
Best Lap(As Written): 1:12.517
Best Lap(Adjusted): 1:11.959
Best Lap(Adjusted2): 1.11.035

Fumes is a name I've heard around GTPlanet fairly often, usually spoken in high regard, so I was rather interested in seeing for myself why. I've had this Supra sitting for sometime and now finally had reason to tune it up.

I matched everything to your specifications, took it to Deep Forest, since you specifically mentioned it, and put 20 laps on it.

Initial thoughts: Visually, your layout is rough on the eyes, as you can see I've simplified it above, please don't be offended, it's for my own use later on, but it does make it much more aesthetically pleasing. Beyond that a few things struck me as odd. First was the LSD. An Initial of 5 usually means 1 of 2 things. A, the car is so out of control, you've completely tamed down the Rear end with a 5/5/5 setting, just to get the car around the track. This is usually reserved for cars like the Furai, Zonda R, Minolta and the type, so I was confused as to why it would be on the likes of a Supra. Option B, is usually a complete disregard to the benefits of LSD, which unfortunately I feel is the case for this tune. + Front toe is pretty rare to see in anyone's tunes as well. I'm not knowledgeable enough in tuning, to understand why, but I have driven my fair share of tunes and while - front toe is pretty common, it's rare to see positive in the front. Finally, the lack of custom gearing, although not really an issue, I just kind of expected to see it.

Once on the track, I put a solid 5 laps in, to get comfortable with the car. Overall it felt... tame, for a 700hp car. I was expecting a bit more of a handful, but nonetheless. Starting from the line, the first thing you notice, is that as you go over the first tiny hill in the straight, is that the car feels like it's airborne. We're not going fast enough for that, but I suppose the lack of front downforce is at partial blame. Hard on the brakes down into the first turn, and you can see the nose dive downwards. Not drastically, but noticeably more than I would expect, or like for that matter. While still in the braking zone, just before releasing partial pressure to begin the turn in, you start to see the right front heating up and through repetition of this turn over the 20 laps, combined with the excessive nose dive, I felt that maybe the front brake bias was too high, because the rear tires weren't showing any heat at all. This sacrificed front end grip through the first corner and caused a loss in time. It seemed to be rather specific for this turn, based on the higher entry speed of course, but I think it would be beneficial to possibly swap the brake bias around to a 7/5, or maybe somewhere in between.

Through the center the car seems to have a respectable amount of grip for no front downforce, but didn't quite have the rotation that I've come to enjoy for my driving style. But I also wouldn't consider it understeer, just safely neutral. Once you get back to the gas, the car has a tendency to push. Not drastic, but I think the car could greatly benefit from some on throttle oversteer, which can be induced with some more aggressive LSD settings. Heading through the next few turns, you start to notice a rather floaty front end, which somewhat explains that uphill lift off feel over elevation changes. The exit understeer becomes a bit more dominant to the cars overall balance, especially through the 2 tight tunnels. As we exit the tunnel and head into the quick up/down leading into the sweeping left hander, the car kind of 'sways' into it, and tosses the car into a slight drift. Even though it's extremely easy to control and contain, it definitely costs some time and forward momentum. The car feels... almost top heavy in this instance, as it rolls over onto the right side tires. But it is still roughly 1250kg, so that's probably not an issue with the tune, just what you expect from inertia.

Trying to make the exit without taking chunks of the mountain side with you, showed to be a rather difficult task. The on throttle understeer through corner exit is really magnified here and sacrifices speed that you want to carry up the hill. Through the last 2 corners, the understeer is still present, but can be countered by a strong line. Hitting the apex of the last corner at 114mph it's a straight shot to the finish line, where we stop the clock at 1:12.517. Despite the cars drawbacks, in the 20 lap test, I had a handful of :12's, with a handful of 'oops' while a solid 50% of the laps were all low 13's. So consistency is there, it's reliable and safe. When you drive it, you don't won't even know you have 700hp.

I didn't experience any of the oversteer you mentioned, forward bite was good and the turbo kicking in was never an issue. My main complaint would be the understeer throughout the corner exit, magnified by throttle application.

So, in a quick test I did the following:
Tripled LSD Initial: 15
Added 50% LSD Accel: 45
Doubled LSD DeAccel: 12
Drop Rear Ride Height: -15 / -25
Doubled the front Ext: 6 / 6
Reversed the Front toe: -0.05 / -0.20
Reversed Brake Bias: 5 / 8

I ran 5 laps of which resulted in these 3:
1:12.467
1:12.385
1:12.232
And then on the 9th lap ran my new personal best of:
1:11.959

Doing the above adjustments seemed to help the car transfer it's weight front to back, as well as cut down some of the on throttle understeer. Unfortunately it seemed to promote the cars tendency to slide on hard entries, as soon as you let off the brakes. But it's still a controlled drift and never resulted in a full spin. In fact the car is very comfortable sideways and you never feel out of control.

Hopefully this qualifies as constructive.
Adrenaline

Edit: I also wanted to mention, I don't think you're gaining anything from the mid range turbo. I feel the car will benefit far more from the higher RPM power output, due to the rare occasions you find yourself under 5000rpm, to take advantage of the low end torque you've decided to use. I didn't test the high end turbo to verify, but while it 'seems' you're sacrificing 100+lbs of torque, that torque isn't doing you any good, if you're never in that RPM range. Even when shifting, the RPMS only drop to 5400. Max torque at 4900 and max power at 5000, it seems unlikely that when switching to the high end turbo, which not only ups your max power to 6900rpm, it also looks like it gives you more torque after the peak of 4900 when comparing the power curve charts.

Edit 2: So I threw on the High End Turbo, and re-tested; Immediately you can see the difference. You cross the start/finish line 9mph faster and just pull hard on the ghost at every accelerating point of the track. I only had to run 3 laps before I shot off a 1:11.035 with easy room to improve.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts: Visually, your layout is rough on the eyes, ... + Front toe is pretty rare to see in anyone's tunes as well. Finally, the lack of custom gearing, although not really an issue, I just kind of expected to see it.

Agreed, I need to change the layout. I just used a blank template and cut & pasted it here. Not thinking that it is difficult to read. I'll need to change it.

I also do agree on the front toe. I performed more testing after posting this here. I will change it to 0.00 though.

Didn't have time to fool around with the individual gears. Not for each individual tracks. Those days are gone :(

Once on the track, I put a solid 5 laps in, to get comfortable with the car. Overall it felt... tame, for a 700hp car. I was expecting a bit more of a handful, but nonetheless.

Have you tried the car without my setup? It's nuts!
I loved the Supra in GT 2, 3, 4. But it's a different beast in GT5. :confused:
Just wants to understeer.

... swap the brake bias around to a 7/5,
Through the center the car seems to have a respectable amount of grip for no front downforce, but didn't quite have the rotation that I've come to enjoy for my driving style. But I also wouldn't consider it understeer, just safely neutral.

Yep, my testing after posting this showed that I could readjust braking bias to reduce the weight transfer to the front on braking.

Mid corner neutral handling is GOOD for this car. Again have you tried any other setups apart from this one? You'll be shocked how badly this car wants to just go straight.

So, in a quick test I did the following:
Tripled LSD Initial: 15
Added 50% LSD Accel: 45
Doubled LSD DeAccel: 12
Drop Rear Ride Height: -15 / -25
Doubled the front Ext: 6 / 6
Reversed the Front toe: -0.05 / -0.20
Reversed Brake Bias: 5 / 8

Hopefully this qualifies as constructive.
Adrenaline

Very good feedback!!
Thank you.
But you only tested it on one track, right?
Don't forget that a setup posted here, unless it's specified for a specific track, needs to be able to accommodate the varied conditions of all (most) tracks.
Prior to posting this, I tested it on 2 tracks. After posting this I tested on another 2 tracks. This leading to some adjustments, which you have already picked up on.
What you have post is a good suggestion, but it's specific to this track.
I have to make a compromise at times when I have a generic track in mind.

Edit: I also wanted to mention, I don't think you're gaining anything from the mid range turbo. ...

Edit 2: So I threw on the High End Turbo, and re-tested;

Thanks. I'm going to rethink the High range turbo tonight while I test some more. Appreciate your initial testing data.

praiano63
This is mine,try this for the supra RZ, for me one of the best road car in the game for sure with the Nissan R390 GT1.

Toyota Supra RZ '97
735 h.p. 1228 kg

Kit turbo 2 for the medium torque

Settings:

Areo F-0 R-20

380 km/h max speed
trans:
LSD- Initial Torque- F 0 R 7
Acceleration Sensitivity- F 0 R 46
Braking Sensitivity- F 0 R 5

Suspension- Ride Height- F-(-20) R-(-17)
Spring Rate- F 9.2 R 10.0
Dampers (Ext.)- F-4 R-6
Dampers (Comp.)- F-2 R-3
Anti-Roll Bars- F-4 R-5
Camber- F-1.4 R-1.6
Toe-Angle- F - 0.08 R + 0.12

Brakes- F 6 R 5

Tires- F-Racing soft R-Racing soft

Driving Opitions-
MT
TC-Off
SRF-Off
AS-Off
ASM-Off
ABS-1

Not sure but I think this is about Fumes set up. It's great you made your own tune, but when somebody post a thread for their set up, it's not a community drop off for settings for the car the OP tuned, but rather a place to test and suggest improvements to the OP's set up.

I suggest making a thread for Supra set ups, if you want test out various set ups for the car, that don't focus on any one set up, as this thread is.

Back