• Thread starter RDAardvark
  • 48 comments

RDAardvark

Missing every apex
Premium
Ireland
In the gravel trap
RDAardvark
We are going to be running a short series of 4 lap races around the Spa Circuit on Monday 5th December at 9:00pm GMT and again at 9:30pm EST.

All GTP members welcome and will suit beginner to average drivers best. So all driving aids are allowed (Except SRF)

There will be at least 3 races (4 laps each) on Monday 5th December.

The race will be held in the ORCA_SpecRace1 lounge. Please send a friend request to this id.

For the first session, the lounge will open at 8:30pm GMT.
For the second session, the lounge will open at 9:00pm EST.

Please do NOT join the room before these times, as this might cause problems in the setup. And do remember to clear network cache and restart your PS3 before joining.

You will not know what car you are racing until you join the room. The car will be ready to pick up in the garage at 8:30pm. All you need to do is choose the colour and tyres.

There will be no points awarded. Please try to keep the racing as clean as possible, but don't be too alarmed about the odd bump, alright? Banter while driving is more than welcome, so grab your headset.

Interested? Sign up here.

Last edited:
SurpriseNights.png

Last edited:
Um, all past surprise nights allowed ALL driving aids.

It was a tough decision, but I feel that SRF just turns the game into an arcade machine - You don't learn to feel the limits of the car.

I'm in - I've missed the surprise nights! :)

Can you click on the 'Sign up here' link in the first post? Then your name will appear in the driver list. 👍

It's really great to see this filling up nicely. I've really missed our Monday nights too and hopefully we can persuade some more to join in with our madness.

One thing I forgot to ask is if Monday is still the best night for everyone?

Last edited:
Ah yeh, sorry! I've clicked it now and I'm on the list.

Mondays are good with me still, otherwise Wednesday's.

I should make it...long time no see lol mondays are cool

Should be able to make it. Just hoping my friends won't want me to play MW3!

Excellent.

Don't forget to send a friend request on PSN to ORCA_SpecRace1 as this is where we will be holding the event.

Also, please register so that your name will appear in the list of drivers (above).

Might seem a wee bit over the top to have a registration form, but it makes admin easier and I can quickly get a list of all the people who've registered so I can send a reminder out.

It was a tough decision, but I feel that SRF just turns the game into an arcade machine - You don't learn to feel the limits of the car.

Well, all driving aids allowed is the only way I will join events, and plus, why does it matter if someone wants to use driving aids that others don't? They are in the game, why not use them?

otakukid96
Well, all driving aids allowed is the only way I will join events, and plus, why does it matter if someone wants to use driving aids that others don't? They are in the game, why not use them?

As the founder/director of ORCA I support the banning of SRF. The majority of GTP online races don't like SRF because it essentially turns the game into Need for Speed. It gives such an advantage that by allowing even a few people to use it you're forcing everyone to use it if they want a chance at a good finish.

We want to help people improve their online racecraft and if we allow SRF they will never be able to really improve. At some point dad has to take the training wheels off. ;)

As the founder/director of ORCA I support the banning of SRF. The majority of GTP online races don't like SRF because it essentially turns the game into Need for Speed. It gives such an advantage that by allowing even a few people to use it you're forcing everyone to use it if they want a chance at a good finish.

We want to help people improve their online racecraft and if we allow SRF they will never be able to really improve. At some point dad has to take the training wheels off. ;)

So people like me who can't afford a racing wheel are always put at a major disadvantage. Thats what is true, alot of people have wheels so they automatically think they are better then everyone else, so they have to make others, ie. controller users, even worse to help them retain that fake feeling of superiority by beating those less experienced by not even giving them a chance. Also, do note that I do not use the term 'noob' because I feel that is a deragatory term.

@otakukid96: I don't want this thread hijacked by a driving aids discussion. There is a PM waiting for you in your inbox.

I signed up for the 2nd session, hoping for some good racing. Also, I get off work at 9pm, so I will be pushing it to make it, but all should be well.

otakukid96
So people like me who can't afford a racing wheel are always put at a major disadvantage. Thats what is true, alot of people have wheels so they automatically think they are better then everyone else, so they have to make others, ie. controller users, even worse to help them retain that fake feeling of superiority by beating those less experienced by not even giving them a chance. Also, do note that I do not use the term 'noob' because I feel that is a deragatory term.

Sorry, I never meant to imply anything like that. 3 of the top 4 finishers in the Capp Cup this season are controller users and they have all driven multiple seasons with us so we for sure have nothing against controller users. I really apologize if you took it that way.

Ok, back on topic, I just wanted to make sure nobody else took my comments the wrong way. If you ask around I'm sure you'll find we are a very accommodating and friendly group who welcomes racers of all types. 👍

Registered 👍 Thanks also for starting these again :D

I'll send ORCA_SpecRace1 a FR a bit later today (Thu 1st Dec)

MMmmm i would like to join but i'm away from home and without my ps3. I'll be back on the 19th so after this date i'll gladly join those decembers events

Pencil me in for the GMT races please, strung out for a bit of racing. hopin we'll get a smoke break between races ;)

This is looking good.

I'm going to have to get in the lobby early and learn the lines - I've not driven spa since F1 2010. Argh!

dude, i have a controller as well and i use no assists, just get good a game, damn its been out for a year people like you still need assists to drive? damn i hope you don't a drivers license

This is looking good.

I'm going to have to get in the lobby early and learn the lines - I've not driven spa since F1 2010. Argh!

There are lines to learn? :)
Ah sure, it's all in good fun. It's the first and last corner that I screw up at Spa. Most of the rest you can bluff your way around.

I've registered Porta555 and McKiernan.

It's really great to see all your names on here and hopefully it will be good fun on Monday.
And, just to tease, next week I'm planning on rerunning one of the best and maddest Surprise Night events.

Please don't forget to send a friend request to ORCA_SpecRace1 as this is where we will be holding the race. If everyone is friends with this id, then it means that anyone can host a race in that lounge without having to be friends with everyone who attends.

I'll send a reminder out on Sunday!

I'm excited to finally try one of these events. I hope some more people sign up for the later race (that's the only one I can attend). If all goes well maybe these will become a regular even for us (with permission of course). 👍

Back