Split times during racing lacking

• Thread starter RewindTape
  • 19 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Vuja_De_
Why is the only relative split time displayed during racing to the leader?

If I'm in the middle of the field, I'm more interested in if I'm gaining on the car in front or shaking off the car behind, than if the leader has gained or lost another tenth or second on me.

I don't understand why PD hasn't made it more exciting just racing, even in the middle of the field, as it doesn't seem like a big feature to add.

It just seems like such a small feature to add, that would bring a lot of value for us.
Even if it's not a racing sim, with friends, you can use it as one. ;)

Oh, well.

If I'm in the middle of the field, I'm more interested in if I'm gaining on the car in front or shaking off the car behind, than if the leader has gained or lost another tenth or second on me.

I don't understand why PD hasn't made it more exciting just racing, even in the middle of the field, as it doesn't seem like a big feature to add.

I couldn't agree more. In the crew I race with I'm usually in the middle of the pack. Adding this feature will give drivers a tool for closing in on the car in front of them making for a better experience for the drivers that don't win often.

I'd quite like to have a "Pit board only" update as you complete a lap and even then it will be a lap (or half a lap) out of date.

Just a simple what lap you are on
how far the guy ahead is
how far behind the guy behind is (And who they are)

A scrolling nascar style gap marquee I can see being used by some drivers.

It just seems like such a small feature to add, that would bring a lot of value for us.
Even if it's not a racing sim, with friends, you can use it as one. ;)

Oh, well.

I was trying to be sarcastic. :)

It does seem strange that after more than a decade as one of if not the most "serious" racing game on consoles, they have never thought it a good idea to address this or any of several other odd issues ( like multiple cars on offline grids that are 30+ seconds off the leader's pace).

Offline it is silly but you can deal with it I suppose. But for online racing it is simply inexcusable to not let you know where you stand vs your direct competition.

I couldn't agree more. In the crew I race with I'm usually in the middle of the pack. Adding this feature will give drivers a tool for closing in on the car in front of them making for a better experience for the drivers that don't win often.

Well, that's just it - you nailed it there. I'm not fast enough to win that often but I'm fortunate enough to be able to have drivers in the field at my level, and it irks me that an important thing like this is neglected. :irked:

Ryk
I'd quite like to have a "Pit board only" update as you complete a lap and even then it will be a lap (or half a lap) out of date.

Just a simple what lap you are on
how far the guy ahead is
how far behind the guy behind is (And who they are)

A scrolling nascar style gap marquee I can see being used by some drivers.

A pit board would not suffice for me. I race the 24h Nürburgring almost exclusively, and a lap in the wet there can last 11-12 minutes. It's not enough to get split times only at the start/finish line.

I'm unfamiliar with how they do it in nascar, but I suppose it differs from the current live table in GT5. :)

A pit board would not suffice for me. I race the 24h Nürburgring almost exclusively, and a lap in the wet there can last 11-12 minutes. It's not enough to get split times only at the start/finish line.

I'm unfamiliar with how they do it in nascar, but I suppose it differs from the current live table in GT5. :)

In NASCAR the top of the screen displays the car #, the driver and the distance behind the leader updated in real time though not just at the sector splits (due to transponders on the car).

The best example I can give of how it looks is to look at the top of the screen while the track is loading. Notice how the top scrolls from right to left and tells you where everyone is starting and in what car? Now put that on the top 1/8th of the screen and use it during the race with gaps measured and boom, its in the game.

If GT5 were a computer game, it could probably be implemented actually.

I was trying to be sarcastic. :)

It does seem strange that after more than a decade as one of if not the most "serious" racing game on consoles, they have never thought it a good idea to address this or any of several other odd issues ( like multiple cars on offline grids that are 30+ seconds off the leader's pace).

Offline it is silly but you can deal with it I suppose. But for online racing it is simply inexcusable to not let you know where you stand vs your direct competition.

Whoosh! :P

For offline, I really hate the bunny car (rabbit). Why not just tweak the cars to make the races close? They control all the parameters for the offline races. Make it a pack!

It's for online racing meaningful split times would be really usefull! You can, for example, not cause stress to someone by eating up their lead section by section, because they won't know you're there until they see you in the mirror - and vice versa; you won't get stressed until you see them in your mirror.

In NASCAR the top of the screen displays the car #, the driver and the distance behind the leader updated in real time though not just at the sector splits (due to transponders on the car).

The best example I can give of how it looks is to look at the top of the screen while the track is loading. Notice how the top scrolls from right to left and tells you where everyone is starting and in what car? Now put that on the top 1/8th of the screen and use it during the race with gaps measured and boom, its in the game.

If GT5 were a computer game, it could probably be implemented actually.

Ah! I see. So, a scrolling bar with split times to all cars at the top? Yeah, that would work.

But I'd just as easily sacrifice one or two rows in the current live positions table to show split times "up" and "down" in the last section, i.e. not a live update.

Any presentation would be better than the current one though. :P

If Leader is -2.00, and you're in 5th, safe to say that 3 opponents lie within 2.00 seconds of you, thats not enough?

However i do see your point in how it could be something easy to implement, instead of that big cumbersome Driver Board in the HUD (which i turn off because its useless) displaying fictional driver names, it could just display all the splits between all drivers, easy peezy.

And GD PD, give us more than 10 slots in the Hot Laps board, 100 should do, its all text anyway.

PD thinks you must win every race, though sometimes you're desperately fighting for 3rd place. I too would like split times to the guy in front and behind, not a difficult thing to add but would improve the experience a lot.

Didn't past GTs give the split times of the next competitor that's ahead of you?

I thought that at least one of the past GT's did this, and possibly the car behind too, but after looking at some videos on Youtube, it looks like it was only doing it for the first place car. I do remember the miniture icon displaying which car it was though.

I'd like the split times to be updated much more frequently. A little discrete box in the corner that updates every second or two about the car in front and behind you, as you see on most motorsport coverage.

If Leader is -2.00, and you're in 5th, safe to say that 3 opponents lie within 2.00 seconds of you, thats not enough?

However i do see your point in how it could be something easy to implement, instead of that big cumbersome Driver Board in the HUD (which i turn off because its useless) displaying fictional driver names, it could just display all the splits between all drivers, easy peezy.

And GD PD, give us more than 10 slots in the Hot Laps board, 100 should do, its all text anyway.

Yes, in shorter races it is not missed as much. However, in longer ones on The 'Ring (we've run 8 laps) it is not enough. If you get caught in a sandtrap, it's easy to lose 15 seconds. And if you do that on the sixth lap, where you normally have the field spread out over a couple of minutes; you can be 5th, have 1 minute to catch the leader, and five cars behind you. See? It's not enough. :)

Yes, that'd my choice too - replace the drivers list. And remove the hovering driver names and flags!

Each car should carry its own fastest laps for each track, kind of like a log book. That would give you an infinite leaderboard for each track.
You could also clear the board of individual times - just clear the log book of that car. I'd add the service history for the cars in that log too; oil changes (meh) engine and chassis rebuilds (more useful).

I was doing the 9hr Tsukuba endurance last week, and I gave the AI a one hour head start (I was in a McLaren F1), and all race I was wishing for more detailed information on how far ahead everybody was, how fast I was catching them etc etc.

The most exciting part of the race was finally being on the same lap as the leader, and slowly watching the time come down as I caught him up. It was brilliant.

Yes, I'd love to see that feature included, and all race I was thinking, as has already been pointed out, this is supposed to be a sim, or at least a 'serious' game, it should be in.

It would certainly make it more exciting.

When doing endurance races online, my co-driver usually brings his own ps3. We then set the second ps3 to 'watch race' and bring up the 'live timing screen'. Works like a charm, but it would be nice if you could acces live-timing in online races from the 'my gran-turismo' webpage. Just like when you do remote b-spec.

Back