Tuning Challenge: Pony Cars. Tuners and testers needed!

gamerdog6482

(Banned)
United States
Venom, USA
Gamerdog6482
picture.php

In response of a recent surge of interest in "tuning challenges" I have decided to host my own. Starring pony cars!
The Rules are simple:
  • Car must be tuned ALONE, no group tuners.
  • No RM or TC cars.
  • Tuned cars must not exceed 575PP. Note that some cars start somewhat close to this.
  • If you sign up to be a tuner, you cannot be a tester
  • Any tuning is allowed, as long as it is under/at the PP limit.
  • The only driving aids allowed are ABS up to and NOT EXCEEDING 1, and TCS up to and NOT EXCEEDING 5. ASM, SRF, and Active Steering are NOT allowed.
  • Tire wear and fuel consumption are off.
  • Grip reduction must be set to "Real".
  • Mechanical Damage must be turned "off".
  • Only cars in the car list are allowed.
  • The limit is simple, fifteen tuners and ten testers.
  • Tuner signup limit is August 15th, tune submission limit is August 23rd. Tester signup limit is August 21st, and test submission limit is September 1st.
  • Tires can NOT be higher than Sports Soft. NO EXECPTIONS.
  • Setup must be posted in this thread when the tune is DONE.
  • Final tuned car should be put on share for the testers or gifted to them. If you do not or can not friend the testers, post the complete build and ALL specs (down to the Kg/HP ratio) in this thread with your tune. Testers will then build the car themselves. Keep in mind all qualifying cars are able to be gifted, but sharing is the proffered method.

And here it is, these are The Cars you can tune for this challenge. All of them are pony cars or pony car derived.

• Ford Mustang GT '05
  • Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
  • Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71
  • Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R '00
  • Shelby GT350R '65
  • Dodge Challenger R/T '70
  • Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08
  • Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
  • Chevrolet Camaro SS '00
  • Chevrolet Camaro SS '69
  • Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69
  • Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
  • Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept
  • Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67
  • Plymouth 'Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
If you feel I have not included a pony car or pony car derivative that is fair for the competition, please do let me know. I am open to reminders.

And The Track will be:
Nurburgring GP/F

Current tuner list:
  • Gamerdog6482
  • Robrabbitman
  • JLawrence
  • jtqmopar

Current tester list:
  • HaylRayzor

The final result will be calculated from the average track time between all the testers, and the winning tuner will be awarded with a pony car...although which one is yet to be decided. Rest assured, it will be on that list up there. The prize car will be supplied by me.
So sign up and get tuning (or testing)!

Last edited:
Well I said I'd test for the next challenge so put me in as tester.

I probably need to update my will...

With only four more days left for tuners to sign up, I may have to cancel due to lack of tuners. We'll see.

I'll tune, but I'd like to use a Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 HEMI '71 please! Or a Superbird, which ever I like more. both at 476-9 respectively to begin with.

I'll tune, but I'd like to use a Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 HEMI '71 please! Or a Superbird, which ever I like more. both at 476-9 respectively to begin with.

Being that the Dodge Charger and Plymouth Superbird (Which is based on the Plymouth Road Runner) were both muscle cars, they are not allowed. Otherwise we'd end up with Corvettes going against Camaros...

Those are both full fledged muscle cars, large with larger engines to boot. The challenge is for the smaller brethren, the smaller pony cars, rendering both of your choices ineligible. 👍

Also, I went and looked, and would the Trans-Cammer Mustang be eligible? It starts as 544PP, already on sports soft.

What is the difference between pony and muscle cars? They were both relatively small cars with HiPo engines that were available at decent prices

edit: googled it, though I don't agree. From yahoo:
You can consider any mid-size or smaller car with engines bigger than 360ci a muscle car.

A pony would be one smaller than a mid-size car.

Mustang 289/302 = pony
Mustang 390/428 = muscle

Challenger 340 AAR = pony
Challenger 383/440 = muscle

Chevelle 350 = mid-size sedan
Chevelle 454 = muscle

Nova 327 = fast, but not muscle
Fleetwood 500 = full-size sedan

If we go by this in general, none of the Mopars would be allowed.

Those are both full fledged muscle cars, large with larger engines to boot. The challenge is for the smaller brethren, the smaller pony cars, rendering both of your choices ineligible. 👍

Also, I went and looked, and would the Trans-Cammer Mustang be eligible? It starts as 544PP, already on sports soft.

I though about including the Trans-Cammer, but it is a full on tuner car. Like saying we can include the HKS CT230R in a Lancer tuneout, so I am going to say no, and for the same reason I am, not allowing TC or RM cars.

I though about including the Trans-Cammer, but it is a full on tuner car. Like saying we can include the HKS CT230R in a Lancer tuneout, so I am going to say no, and for the same reason I am, not allowing TC or RM cars.

Yeah, I thought the presence of the Trans-Cammer would be a bit unfair. Anyway, off to try each of the cars.

What is the difference between pony and muscle cars? They were both relatively small cars with HiPo engines that were available at decent prices.

Pony cars have long hoods and very small trunks. Muscle cars have V8s, whilst most pony cars have V6s. The only pony car that I have on that list (I think) that has a V8 is the GT350R, all the others have V6s.

The Cuda has a 440 cubic inch big block with three 2bbl carburetors... Not trying to start crap, but all the Mopars have big blocks in the game. Either a 426 Hemi or the 440.

Okay, then sign me up as a tuner with the 'Cuda.

I still believe that the Challenger 'pony car' would be a 318/ 340/ 360 car though.

Okay, then sign me up as a tuner with the 'Cuda.

I still believe that the Challenger 'pony car' would be a 318/ 340/ 360 car though.

You're in, but do keep in mind if the Barracuda doesn't work put you can change it. Nothing's set in stone until you post the tune.

Although I am interested in this challenge, I think most tuners are strung out. We used to have a shootout once a month or so, and to fill the gap between tuning and testing small challenges started to pop up (much like yours). Maybe your timing is just off. Try and relaunch it after tuning deadlines in current shootouts are over, and then you may get a better turn out.

My two brain cells :dopey:

I'd like to think that I'm pretty handy with a GT350. I suppose I'm in with that, but could you maybe explain the scoring thing again for me? Are we just shooting for the best time or what? The GT350 maxes at somewhere in the range of 560, so PP wise that's not a problem, but it also takes a very different driving style to be fast with that most people use, or so it seems to me.

JLawrence
I'd like to think that I'm pretty handy with a GT350. I suppose I'm in with that, but could you maybe explain the scoring thing again for me? Are we just shooting for the best time or what? The GT350 maxes at somewhere in the range of 560, so PP wise that's not a problem, but it also takes a very different driving style to be fast with that most people use, or so it seems to me.

Yes. The highest average testers time wins.

My 'Cuda hates me! lol
I do have a good Challenger tune though, not sure if I want to use the new one or old one though

Back