Here's an idea of how we could all get to know each other...

At another forum that I am at they have this area where each week they have a member of the week. Basically it is a thread where all members can ask one particular member questions about anything (providing it is within the sites guidelines)

How it works:
-People who want to be member of the week (ie get asked all the questions) can PM me with their basic details ie name, locations, age etc.
-I will then randomly pick one member out of all the ones who Pm'ed me and start a thread titled "Introducing this weeks member - [insert name here]"
-The thread will then last for one week where everyone can ask the member of the week any question they want (within the site guidelines)
-During the week people can still PM me their details so they have a chance at becoming next weeks member.
-you can only be member of the week once so make the most of it and answer as many questions as possible.
-at the end of the week I will ask a mod to close the thread then a new week/thread will begin with a different member.

At the moment it is just an idea but if this thread gets enough interest and there is enough people willing to become member of the week I will go ahead with it.

So feedback please, is this a good idea? how can it improve? etc. At the other forum I am at, it works very well.

Sounds like a good idea. As long as the member of the week doesn't need to answer any questions they don't want to. I'd be up for being member of the week, but my life's pretty boring so I don't know how that'd go...

ok then, make it so when you PM me also include topics that you dont want to be questioned about.

No ones life is boring, purely the fact that we all live in different cultures would make your 'normal' life very different to mine and vice versa, therefore making it interesting

Sounds like a cool idea I guess, and its good that the member doesn't have to answer questions they don't want to.

Thats a pretty interesting idea, and a good way of getting to know who we're talking to on here. Maybe post this in the Site Feedback area or PM it too Jordan as it could deserve its own "Member of the Week" Sub Forum. 👍

amp88
Sounds like a good idea. As long as the member of the week doesn't need to answer any questions they don't want to. I'd be up for being member of the week, but my life's pretty boring so I don't know how that'd go...
Well ofcourse not, no one can force you to put hand to keyboard and type sometihng you don't want to let the world no. It's a good idea imo, though don't expect to see me as member of the week for at least a long time :lol:.

Mclaren_Man
ok then, make it so when you PM me also include topics that you dont want to be questioned about.

No ones life is boring, purely the fact that we all live in different cultures would make your 'normal' life very different to mine and vice versa, therefore making it interesting
I don't think that's what he meant, I think it's just if you get asked a certain question, you don't have to reply. Topic's arn't the problem, individual questions are or rather, individual answers are, for instance there's a lot of questions I wouldn't answer about my family and friends, but that doesn't mean theres no questions I would answer that would come under thoes topics, just some questions that arn't even that specific since the same question can often be asked in a wide variety of different way's, there's that many questions that can be asked in that many topics that it would take forever to type in what questions you don't want to be asked, ofcourse there's (I'm guessing for the vast majority) far, far more questions you would be fine answering. At the end of the day, it's up to the member to answerwhat they choose to answer should somone ask a question that's a bit too personal fr them, having them tell you what topic they wouldn't like to taklk about in general won't help since I could asy I don't want to talk about business, family, relationship, friends and the list could go on and on and on, that's not to say I wouldn't answer any questions regaridng any of thoes topics, just there's a couple of questions I can think of that I wouldn't answer that may regard thoes topics and probably a few I haven't thought of yet that somoene else may, just may ask.

My opinion is that a simple, "I'm not willing to answer that" or whatever is all that's needed when asked a question you don't want to answer.

Neat idea. I agree with the suggestion for a Member of the Week subforum or, more likely, a sticky. :)

Right, so many people have approved. Should we start pouring in with PMs or wait 'til it's created and opened as a full-fledged kinda thing?

I'd give it a go too... don't know too many of you yet, so It would be a great way to get to know everyone. Count me in.

*McLaren*
What about the idea of people nominating a member of the week too? ...
As long as they nominate through PM and it doesn't turn into a popularity contest.

Not many people are going to be quick to nominate a guy who just signed up three weeks ago, but I think the 'big hitters' here at GTP will be the first to be nominated.

If it goes to a nomination system then potentially interesting but new members will miss out. If nominations are PM'd to you, then it can be at your discretion to select a nominated member (after you've checked with them obviously) or a member who volunteered themselves. Us people on the outside of the system won't know if the selected member was nominated by themselves, or selected via popular demand.

Just trying to stop this from becoming a popularity contest and having the first 12 weeks or so filled in with GTP's infamous... :indiff:

Overall though, I think it'll be a good thing. I support starting this as a regular thread - I think once the mods see how successful it can be it'll be more likely to be stickied or whatever.

Probably better to have people just volunteer like the original idea, cause that way there is no question on if they are willing to have a go.

whoa I didnt realise that this would be such a popular Idea! Thanks for the feedback guys. I will leave this thread open for a few more days so that it gets a little bit more 'advertisement' then I will start a new thread with one lucky member having the spotlight placed on them.

Also one more 'condition' once you have nominated yourself you will be kept in 'storage' so there will be no need to nominate yourself again (I will keep a word doc. with the names of all people nominated so even if I clean out my inbox, you will still be in the running)

Keep those PM's coming guys 👍

edit: I agree with that post above me, this isnt a popularity contest, I will just choose the member at random.

I'd love to be a part of this :)

People would like to know how my detestingly (Is that even a word?) annoying mind works :P

That’s quite a good idea. As some have suggested, it could warrant its own forum, for ease of archiving more than anything.

Back