Porsche to make a "new" 917

• Thread starter Poverty
  • 10 comments

Poverty

(Banned)
Translated from Italian:

Porsche917.jpg

The news flutters in atmospheres informs to you well and also some European magazine risks in one similar visionaria (but moving) speculation.
In order to mean the argument, it is necessary to think for a moment next to Ford GT: one supercar modern produced in limited series, with entire new but somigliante mechanics, in all and for all, to its illustrious progenitrice of years Sixty.
Porsche would be working to an analogous plan having like protagonist nientemeno that glorious the 917, the more fascinating and most monstrous of the Porsche from race (the 917 K released from 0 to 320 km/h in 13 ", the 917/30 Can-Am had one the maximum power of 1.100 Cv). Who does not remember it guided from the mourning Steve McQueen in the film on the 24 Hours of the Mans.
The occasion could be the quarantennale of the glorious one supercar, introduced to Geneva 13 March of 1969.
The auto body, therefore, would have to resume nearly integrally, the sinuoso and aggressive design of the model that stravinse in the World-wide Championship Marches in Years Seventy.
The motor could be the 10 cylinders of Carrera GT.
Production and price, obviously, only for little elect ones.

Are they going race it? Also, if they use the Carrera GT motor, it may just be a way to use the funds used to develop the pre-Carrera GT "Le Mans car" as a Le Mans car today.

Give us a modern flat 12, Porsche! Stay true to the original. Not really much information or any kind of confirmation though :(

Does this mean that it's going to be a road car then? Unlike the GT40 it was never officially a road car, although a couple did find their way onto the roads.

I'm thinking this might be the same thing as that 1000bhp-ish Porsche article was talking about that Poverty posted a few weeks back.

TheCracker
Does this mean that it's going to be a road car then? Unlike the GT40 it was never officially a road car, although a couple did find their way onto the roads.

Weren't they only badged as Shuppans though? I am not sure....

Perhaps this is their closed-roof propotype entry for the upcoming rule change? or, it could be a road car? I dunno?

It is an interesting idea, buy why not alter the CGT just a bit and call it the 917? The story is somewhat confusing given that Porsche has said they want to have a CGT-based Bugatti-fighter as well, so I'm not really sure what to make of all of this.

If Porsche wants to re-do a racecar, I'd rather see the 935 make a comeback than anything else...

The 917 name shouldn't be used on a road car. It has no history or pedigree for the road.

Maybe Porsche will start re-producing the 917 for historic motorsports like Lola have with the similar vintage T70?

YSSMAN
It is an interesting idea, buy why not alter the CGT just a bit and call it the 917? The story is somewhat confusing given that Porsche has said they want to have a CGT-based Bugatti-fighter as well, so I'm not really sure what to make of all of this.

If Porsche wants to re-do a racecar, I'd rather see the 935 make a comeback than anything else...
I think that's what they are doing, I think the Carrera GT based new supercar and the car being talked about here are one and the same, I don't think both articles have bits of truth and bits of missinformation in them, but ultimately I think they are the same car being talked about.

Back