Best Korean Car (Final Voting for Best Japanese Car)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 44 comments

VOTE FOR BEST JAPANESE CAR (FINAL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Okay, it may be silly to do a Korean car round, but I don't want to count the fastest-growing nation out of the competition. For the most part, it is the same rules as always... Nominate, discuss, and then we vote after three days. Keep it clean, keep it simple, and if you must make it a flame war, atleast keep it funny (lol).

---

Secondly, voting for Best Japanese Car shal commence. The final round shal consist of:

- Nissan Skyline (all generations, all variants)
- Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Honda/Acura NSX
- Subaru Impreza (all variants)
- Datsun 240Z

---

YOU HAVE THREE DAYS TO VOTE AND NOMINATE BEFORE WE MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ROUND

---

Although I was origionally a voter for the 240Z, I've changed my mind and instead have gone with the Mazda Miata. Over the past few decades there haven't been many cars to completely "jumpstart" an entire segment that had been dead for so long. The Miata brought back cheap fun with an affordable sportscar that had not only great capabilities on the road, but even better on the track.

To this day people still refer to the Miata as one of the golden standards of automobiles, as it is fun in it's most baisic state. An open top, manual transmission, nicely powered engine, confident chassis, etc. Although 1st gen Miatas had a much larger impact on the industry as a whole, causing BMW and Honda to join in the fun, the newest models continue the origional's cause and continue to set standards for small sportscars around the world.

Added to that, the car still looks great, still doesn't cost a whole lot, and is still a blast to drive... Added to that, it is popular all over the world, not just in the US or Europe... But everywhere. Thats what makes a great car, one that has been so widely accepted as a great car.

Thus, I vote for the Miata:

91MazdaMiataGreen.jpg

---

As for the Korean car, I need to think for a few moments...

I'm gonna go for the 240Z like I said.

I nominate the Protomoters Spirra.. Because I think it's the fastest Korean car, i'm not sure, cause i know jack **** about them.

I nominate Hyundai Excel, because (in Australia atleast) its the car that made Hyundai known, especially the 95+ DOHC Excel.

I'm having a very hard time thinking of a good model to nominate. I've got three, so it's a matter of just picking one...

I'm gonna go for the 240Z like I said.

I nominate the Protomoters Spirra.. Because I think it's the fastest Korean car, i'm not sure, cause i know jack **** about them.

I think I have to (gulp) agree with him. The Tiburon would be my only other consideration.

Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to just one, but I've had my problems. The biggest issue was that Korea really doesn't have a lengthy history of producing cars like that of the US, Germany, etc and thus the number of "awesome" models to choose from was quite limited. However, I was certain that it would have to come from either Hyundai or Kia, as they are the two largest automakers from Korea, and they most certainly would have to be modern models as well. This is what I had origionally come up with:

- Hyundai Tiburon/Coupe
- Hyundai Sonata
- Hyundai Azera
- Kia Rio5

Yes, quite the list, and all quite modern. Generally speaking, Korean cars in my eyes have only been compeditive since about 1999+, but generally speaking, I would have only considered one "compeditive" up untill about a year or so ago. But there was always one model that stood out in the crowd, the Hyundai Tiburon.

The Hyundai Tiburon, otherwise known as the Coupe or Tuscani was one of the first Korean cars to get most people's blood boiling. A combination of stunningly good looks (especially by comparison to other Korean cars), compotent chassis, decent driving dynamics and an overall package that screamed "value" made it a great car. The only thing it ever lacked in my mind was a good engine selection, and it still suffers to this day. Granted, the next-gen model is on the horizon (or atleast that is my understanding), but that was the deal-killer for me.

Now the Kia Rio has been the long-time runner in the "Cheapest car sold in America" category, but it has now been trumped by the Chevrolet Aveo and Toyota Yaris. However, the Kia Rio5 doesn't concern itself with being the cheapest, which is a good thing. The things that catch my eye are again the good looks, pretty good build quality, decent performance and great price. But it is still a Rio, and you will never get anything when driving a Rio, no matter how "good" the car actually is... And thats too bad, because the Rio5 is a genuinely good car.

The Hyundai Sonata was my runner-up. It is the car that is still setting the standard for all Korean cars, much like the Honda Accord from across the Sea of Japan. The Sonata combines exelent build quality and awesome performance for an incredibly cheap price, thus making it a deal unlike anything on the market today. In every comparison test that the newest version of the car has been in it has lost to an Accord. If it be second or third, it always beat the Camry, and was always in striking distance of the Ford Fusion (aka Mazda 6). I still recomend the car to people who are looking to buy a new sedan, often times before mentioning an Accord or Camry, or even a Chevrolet or Pontiac. But often times it is refused because it is a Hyundai, and that really is too bad, because it is a great car... But it isn't the best...

Thus, I nominate the Hyundai Azera for "Best Korean Car."

20030628-E.jpg

20030629-E.jpg

First things first, the car is impressive. If you haven't seen one in person, check it out. I was blown away by the quality of this product, and I'm sure you would be too. My first thoughts when looking at it was "Acura," I kid you not. Granted, it would have been an older Acura, but when you can get out the door with a fully-loaded Azera for a little more than $30K, it is a steal.

Did I mention it is about the same size as a BMW 7-series?

I haven't driven the car, but I've had some seat time with a quick ride, and it was very nice. Smooth as glass, good isolation of sound and vibration, the way a "luxury car" should be. If it was Hyundai's intention to target the Toyota Avalon with this car, they hit the mark... Right on the spot.

Then you have the exelent 3.8L V6, the smooth 5-speed automatic, all of the good luxury options, etc. All together it makes a great car, if not the best Korean car.

Probably not allowed. But I'll have to vote for this.

1273-10.jpg

I looked at buying one in bright yellow, but couldn't afford it.

i3U102600_1.jpg

Hyundai Coupe/ Tiburon.

There maybe another car, but that's the only one that stands out right now.

Nissan Skyline. Easy.
Blew away anything thrown at it and was too good for the Bathurst.

G.T
i3U102600_1.jpg

Hyundai Coupe/ Tiburon.

There maybe another car, but that's the only one that stands out right now.

He has a point. It was the first real Korean car that made people take them at least semi-seriously (though the Mk2 was dog ugly and the Mk3 too heavy with lifeless engines).

I nominate the KIA SPORTAGE, which was the very first small sport-utility vehicle ever. On an importance level, it's high - the only Korean car ever to pioneer a segment. No, it wasn't very good, but the first car in any segment is usually crap ('91 Ford Explorer) yet they get the ball rolling no less. The best Korean car ever.

By the way, as for the Hyundai Tiburon being nominated - do you guys all realize that the vehicle has only 170 horsepower? And it handles for ****? And it does 0-60 in the mid-8 second range? Just because it's a 2-door V6 doesn't mean it's worth anything.

Personally, I dislike all Korean cars.

But, my most "desirable" would have to be the Proto Spirra. But in reality, you would be risking your life by driving a Korean car, both physically, mentally, and spiritually. Anwyay, I'm amazed that Korean cars are getting so much attention here. I thought Chinese and Indian cars would be better.

Korean cars were never destined to be luxurious, beautiful, or powerful. Instead, they are built to appeal to the lower-class, working population. This isn't nessecarily a bad thing. But unfortunetly for them, I don't fit within their target market.

Usually, they are unreliable. If they were reliable however, they would only appeal to grandmothers and people who are looking forward to buying their first car. People with a moderate amount of money would opt for something more prestigious. Such as a Honda Accord or a Nissam Maxima.

The Hyundai Coupe get's my vote, it's simply the most desirable mainstream Korean car I can think of. The Spirra is unknown to about 99% of the worlds population and the coupe is the first car that I think of when I think of Korean cars, it's also, not that bad a car, there are better cars around, but the Coupe is fairly decent.

I nominate the KIA SPORTAGE, which was the very first small sport-utility vehicle ever.
I thought that would have been the 3 door Shogun or the Rav4.

Not much point in saying this as loads of others have, but my Korean nomination goes to the Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon.

My Japanese vote still goes to the Impreza.

M5Power
By the way, as for the Hyundai Tiburon being nominated - do you guys all realize that the vehicle has only 170 horsepower? And it handles for ****? And it does 0-60 in the mid-8 second range? Just because it's a 2-door V6 doesn't mean it's worth anything.

Famine
Mk3 too heavy with lifeless engines

No.

No, wait. I mean yes.

I nominate the KIA SPORTAGE, which was the very first small sport-utility vehicle ever. On an importance level, it's high - the only Korean car ever to pioneer a segment. No, it wasn't very good, but the first car in any segment is usually crap ('91 Ford Explorer) yet they get the ball rolling no less. The best Korean car ever.

I'm going for the Hyundai Coupe as well, while early version may well have suffered in the power, reliability and handling areas, it has improved massively in the current version.

I have to say that unless the Tiburon for the US market has some fairly crappy suspension set-up then comment that it can't handle for **** are well wide of the mark. Having driven a few examples I would be quite happy to say that despite the low power output (which has never been a good gauge of a car - Lotus Elan anyone) its a fine handling car.

Evo magazine have been running one as a long term car for around a year now, and have always been very impressed with its handling both on the road and track.

However my main reason for putting it forward is quite simply how important the car was/is to the Hyundai grand, it serves as a sort of 'halo' model for the rest of the range and was one of the first Korean cars that people have comsidered buying for reasons other than price.

Regards

Scaff

If I remember correctly, Top Gear drove the car a few years back and loved it for its styling and handling. I think they said the engine didn't have the poke it should have, but it was made up for the experience (and looking like a Ferrari 456!) Plus, it was the cheapest new V6 car on sale at the time, which makes it good value for money.

Voting for the NSX as my bloody 2000GT didn't make it. My logic is simple = Japans first, and greatest supercar ever produced, plus the chassis was developed with advice from one of the greatest F1 drivers to ever live. Engine wasn't half bad too ;)

HON2005070845386_pv.jpg

The Infiniti Skylines (G35's) count as skylines, right? If true, my vote goes for skyline.

Also, I nominate the Hyundai Sonata. Korea's first car that doesn't look like squat, and it's a good machine too.

I voted for the Miata, can't say enough great things about that car.

As for nominating, I think I am going to stay out of this one. I don't know enough about Korean cars to really put forth an educated nomination. If I were going to nominate one I would say the Tiburon because it was the first Korean car I ever saw and I kind of wanted one of those originals until I learned it was a dog.

What about the Geo Tracker?

I went with Skyline.

Oh for the Korean car I nominate the Hyundai Sonata.

The reason? It showed that Hyundai can make a car with crisp lines and beat the competition, and still offer it at a lower price than the competition.

The new Azera, Tiburon GT V6, and the new Sonata are almost dead even to me. Only because its a wolf in sheeps clothing I vote for the Accord and Camry killer, the new 2006 Sonata. Its not slow, it looks great, its comfortable, and most importantly it has great reliability and value. Did I mention it looks great? Sure it shares some cues from the Honda Accord but still...its not so much that it takes away from the car. The Azera would be a close second, I drove one and walked away incredibly impressed.

And the 240Z still gets my vote...nothing will change my mind.

...I kinda figured the Hyundai Tiburon/Coupe would run away with this one, as I think it is one of the few models that Hyundai sells worldwide that is quite good. As for the differences between the American, European, Asian, and Aussie models I'd guess that they are minimal. My best guess is that tires are the big difference, and I belive there is an extra engine that America doesn't get.

I haven't driven, nor have I ridden in one, but I know people who own them and they love their Tiburons. It is a pretty well-packaged car that will only get better as Hyundai uses their new-found magic on the car giving it better engine and transmission options in the near future.

BTW: I'm sorry to hear that Europe doesn't have the Azera, and that there aren't any plans to send it there. It is an awesome car, and I'm sure it would go over fairly well in Europe...

I dont get the whole 'Hyundai is copying Honda' thing. Look at the Accord and Camry! One of the generations was almost identical!

Back