Grip Needed for the L2&R2 Triggers on the PS3 SIXAXIS Controller (new topic title)

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
ChinaGBA has just posted pics and info on the design, contruction, and inner-workings of the PS3's SIXAXIS controller, and it is really quite fascinating:

Click HERE to link to check it out.

ChinaGBA has just posted pics and info on the design, contruction, and inner-workings of the PS3's SIXAXIS controller, and it is really quite fascinating:

Click HERE to link to check it out.

Great find :) 👍 Im really glad when websites do super indepth stuff like that taking pics really close because im really obsessed when it comes to looking at every detail, even if the plastic texture is different and what the finish is, buttons etc. I can already see that the start and select buttons are no longer rubber but plastic like the direction buttons... I still want to know whether the PS button lights up or not..... I was always hoping for the Triangle, Square etc etc to light up in there colours... pity it wont happen without a mod! The player number lights are red... I wish they were blue then it would fit in better..... lol im obsessed! can you imagine what I was like when I got the PS2!

Nice to see that the battery although not plug and play (removable) it is connected with a molex plug wire which means when the battery finally cannot take anymore charge (maybe afew years or less) you can just unscrew it and stick a new one in! brilliant! and I bet they are standard so loads of people will make them.... although we know what sony are like with Li-ion at the moment!

All in all looks like quite a high tech piece of kit!

Yesterday during CES, at the 58th Annual Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards at the Venetian, the National Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announced that Sony's SIXAXIS controller and Nintendo's Wiimote both won Emmys for Excellence in Technology and Engineering for Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers.

Interestingly, last year the NTAAS gave Sony's original PS1 an Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Technology and Advanced New Media.

im dont see a thing

It don't work for me either. I get this... "There is no designated theme or has been removed or are being audited, please return.

[ 点击这里返回上一页 ][Click here to return to the preceding page]"

Rat farts.

Yesterday during CES, at the 58th Annual Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards at the Venetian, the National Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announced that Sony's SIXAXIS controller and Nintendo's Wiimote both won Emmys for Excellence in Technology and Engineering for Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers.
There seems to be some dispute over these awards. It now appears that the awards were for the original Sony PS1 and Nintendo controllers, which actually makes a lot more sense, as these types of awards are generally given out to recognize the impact previously released products have had on the industry, and not ones that were recently developed. For instance, last year Sony's original PS1 won an Emmy.

There seems to be some dispute over these awards. It now appears that the awards were for the original Sony PS1 and Nintendo controllers, which actually makes a lot more sense, as these types of awards are generally given out to recognize the impact previously released products have had on the industry, and not ones that were recently developed. For instance, last year Sony's original PS1 won an Emmy.

Yeah, it was actually supposedly the DualShock and Nintendo's... "D-Pad". :odd:

OK, after logging a several hours over the past few months playing some of the demo games, especially Motorstorm, I've decided I really do not like the feel of the L2 & R2 triggers!!! After just one lap, my wife and I both lose grip on the R2 trigger, making it rather annoying having to constantly adjust our finger position on the trigger during the game.

They really need grip pads attached, this is especially true for any game like Motorstorm where you have to hold either of them down for more than a few seconds at a time over a long period.

So with that in mind, I was thinking about making a trip to Home Deport and seeing what kind of ultra thin rubber pads they might have available that I could adhesive small strips to the bottom of the L2 & R2 triggers.

Has anyone experimented with any DIY pads for the controllers, and if so, how do you like the results?

Its something I've grown used to, I did not like for about a month. But they should have been made of same material as the analogue sticks.

Is it possible to keep posts on this thread focused on the SIXAXIS and possible DIY mods for improving the grip on the triggers... and not into a back and forth argument over who's controller is better. *sigh*

Duck, Toronado.. do have any advice on improving the grip or not.

Digital-Nitrate
and not into a back and forth argument over who's controller is better.

I fail to see where I (or Duck) said the 360 controller was better. All I said was that what German Muscle said (the triggers being easier to grip on the PS3) was crap due to the design itself. In addition:

Digital-Nitrate
Absolutely, and when you, I, and everyone else makes statements that are misleading, inaccurate, exaggerated, or false, everyone has the right to correct them.

Anyways, have you tried placing something along the bottom of the triggers? A sort of guard of some kind?

I fail to see where I (or Duck) said the 360 controller was better.
I fail to see where I said either of you did. What I do see is that my response was in reagrds to you, Duck and GM beginning to argue over which controller had better grip which is comparing controllers, and not addressing the topic.

In addition:
Digital-Nitrate
Absolutely, and when you, I, and everyone else makes statements that are misleading, inaccurate, exaggerated, or false, everyone has the right to correct them.
👍

Anyways, have you tried placing something along the bottom of the triggers? A sort of guard of some kind?
That's what I am wondering about. Do you have a design in mind that you'd like to share?

That's what I am wondering about. Do you have a design in mind that you'd like to share?
Maybe a piece of tape rolled over? Its low tech, but it would work and wouldn't be permanent. If you used eletrical tape it may not even be noticable. Let me look for a good side view of the controller, and maybe I'll come up with something better.

Duċk;2589531
You could also put some double-sticky tape on them as well...
Eh, I dunno. That could get pretty filthy if you dropped to controller or something. Maybe double stick tape and a small piece of fine sandpaper.

Maybe a piece of tape rolled over? Its low tech, but it would work and wouldn't be permanent. If you used eletrical tape it may not even be noticable. Let me look for a good side view of the controller, and maybe I'll come up with something better.
👍

I didn't consider electrical tape... that might be a good solution, especially the ease of application, but electrical tape is still pretty slick compared to textured rubber.

Maybe like you suggested earlier, that some kind of safe guard be attached to the bottom of the trigger... possibly a toothpick cut and trimmed, then held in place under the electrical tape? Might not look good though.

There is a rubber cement that you can buy that you can apply to the triggers that will create a rubber "pad" when dried. I forget the name of it, but it can be picked up at a Home Depot, etc. I believe it is used for floors, specifically over concrete which is what I used it for, and should be found in that department.

If I think of the name, I'll edit this post later to include it.

Playstation UK magazine gave away these trigger caps a few months ago to help make them easier to use... don't know if you can get them now though..

screenshot_187956.jpg

I personally haven't had any problems the way they are stock.

I have gotten used to the stock triggers, but I like the design principle of using a cover trigger, although the ones in that picture seem to exaggerated for my liking, but I'd still like to try them out or something similar.

Back