◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,627 comments
Hadn't raced on Sunday night in about 3 months. It is good to get in every 3 months and see why I don't race on Sunday Nights. D1 is the worst!!!!!!!!

Hadn't raced on Sunday night in about 3 months. It is good to get in every 3 months and see why I don't race on Sunday Nights. D1 is the worst!!!!!!!!

How many complaints will you file so it can change?

Action > Words

IMHO

First SNAIL race night ever for me. So fun!!

Had some great battles in D2. And everyone is so evenly matched, it is really unbelievable. I made some horrible mistakes because of the nerves, but nonetheless I loved it. Thanks all! I'll definitely do my best to race every week from now on.

First SNAIL race night ever for me. So fun!!

Had some great battles in D2. And everyone is so evenly matched, it is really unbelievable. I made some horrible mistakes because of the nerves, but nonetheless I loved it. Thanks all! I'll definitely do my best to race every week from now on.

Glad you have a great time! That's what it's all about! :cheers:

What a night! After getting discoed 5 times we changed hosts to Chatva and has a sick night of side by side racing. I am so fired up I'm ready for some more. Round 2 in D1 anybody? They are running weather on daytona.

Last edited:
How many complaints will you file so it can change?

Action > Words

IMHO

It won't change how they run. I think if someone gets more than a level 1 they should lose points plus sit out one of the six races next time. But I'll file my complaint and good chance that I won't be back.

Look forward to racing Monday with ya and the rest of the Cappers..👍

Open Letter to Turtle Racing League​
Members of Turtle Racing League,
Thank you for making your way over here. Your time is appreciated. It's recently been brought to my attention that some of you harbor strong resentment towards S.N.A.I.L. and I would like to address those feelings. Last week, one of your members requested to join S.N.A.I.L. He seemed very friendly and thankful for the help we provided him. And just as anyone is when they're about to race in a league for the first time, he was excited and looking forward to making his debut. However, Psycho apparently told Ph1sher a few things about S.N.A.I.L. before he raced with us. The result of that conversation was the following PM that Ph1sher sent to me exactly one week ago:
Ph1sher
will you fricken stop copying turtle racing league? you guys just want the racing that we have! but you don't! psycho told me about your league and how you copy our league when we have good ideas, and boom he was right! so why do you even copy us? do your league in YOUR OWN WAY!! and if you noticed, most of your snails are slowly moving over to turtle racing because we have much better racing over here. you can count me out of your league, based on your poor attitude towards your drivers and how you treat them! why would you ban a driver based on a mistake they have, like making garage father not race for 2 weeks? really, you're looking at everybody's line? dude YOU GUYS DONT KNOW HOW TO RUN A LEAGUE! that's why most snails are moving over to turtle, and trust me they said our league is way better because we we're nicer and better, cleaner racers. Take Care, and STOP FRICKEN STEALING TURTLE RACING LEAGUE'S IDEAS!!

-GoodBye and Thank you for your time!

Immediately after receiving his PM, I replied with the following:
zer05ive
I'm sorry you feel that way. If you don't mind me asking, what ideas have we copied from Turtle? I would never knowingly copy an idea from another league without asking for permission first. Just let me know what ideas you're talking about and I'll remove them from S.N.A.I.L. right away.

Unfortunately, Ph1sher never replied. I was really hoping he would because I honestly don't know of a single idea that S.N.A.I.L. has ever copied from Turtle. And after waiting for a reply for an entire week, it's apparent that that he has no intention of ever replying.

That being said, I completely understand Ph1sher's frustration. Copying someone without asking for their permission is not only wrong on GTPlanet, it's wrong in life. Being a victim of that is not a good feeling so I don't blame him one bit for wanting to lash out at a person he believed was guilty of this type behavior. It's unfortunate when people use the anonymity of the internet to behave in ways that they wouldn't in the real world, but we all know it happens all the time. In fact, last July I had many of the same feeling that Ph1sher expressed to me. S.N.A.I.L. was copied without permission and I felt the need to voice my frustration just like Ph1sher voiced his frustration to me.

But since I was not able to discuss the situation with Ph1sher, I have no idea how many of you have been told that S.N.A.I.L. has stolen all of Turtle Racing League's ideas. Therefore, I concluded that the only way to address the situation was to address all of you with this open letter. First, let's point out the obvious; our leagues have many, many similarities. There's just no getting around that fact. Therefore, I can see how Ph1sher and other member of Turtle might be easily mislead into thinking that S.N.A.I.L. copied all of Turtle Racing League's ideas. However, if you take a look at the facts, you might come to a different conclusion. Let's start by comparing both leagues and discussing some of the things that we have in common:

Spec Racing
Yes, it's true that both leagues are both 'Spec Racing' leagues. Could this be an idea that S.N.A.I.L. stole from Turtle? While S.N.A.I.L. did not originally start as a Spec Racing league, we converted to this this type of racing on January 23, 2012. In fact S.N.A.I.L. was the first league on GTPlanet to require that the 'Tuning-Prohibited' setting be used in all of it races. Turtle Racing League wasn't even created until five months later.

Saturday night enduro races
One of S.N.A.I.L.'s racing series has endurance races on Saturday nights, just like Turtle Racing League does. Could that be something S.N.A.I.L. copied from Turtle? Let's take a look.. On April 10th, 2012, cmbeal317 started an event on the S.N.A.I.L. thread featuring endurance racing on Saturday nights starting at 10pm Eastern. Apparently Psycho liked cmbeal's idea of enduro racing on Saturday nights, because he immediately asked when the new the Saturday night enduro series started.

After cmbeal's Saturday night enduro series finished its first season, I suggested that he create a dedicated thread for it with the full backing of S.N.A.I.L. After all, he's raced more times in S.N.A.I.L. than anyone else in the history of the league. How could S.N.A.I.L. not support his efforts to start a new series? That being said, one key thing remained the same about cmbeal's new series; it still featured enduro racing on Saturday nights at 10pm Eastern. Ten days later, Psycho starts Turtle Racing League featuring enduro racing on Saturday nights at 10pm Eastern. Sound familiar?

Reverse Grid Races
Both of our leagues feature reverse grid races that are run immediately after a "Fastest First" races on the same car and track. The only thing I can tell you is that those reverse grid races have been a part of S.N.A.I.L. since the very beginning of our league. Considering that the S.N.A.I.L. thread was started more than six months before Turtle Racing League, it's impossible that this idea was taken from Turtle.

Multiple Divisions with Driving Aids allowed in Lowest Division
S.N.A.I.L. and Turtle are also the only leagues that have drivers assigned to multiple divisions. Also, both or our lowest divisions allow the use of driving aids. Are these both coincidences are could these be something that S.N.A.I.L. copied from Turtle? After all, multiple divisions weren't even considered when S.N.A.I.L. started simply because all of our member easily fit in my lounge, which is where we originally raced. However, as we gained more members, we eventually created a divisional system out of necessity. After we were up to three divisions, one of our members suggested that we allow driving aids and another member suggested creating a new division in which driving aids were allowed. Psycho liked both of those ideas and so six weeks later he created Turtle Racing League with multiple divisions right off the bat with the lowest division allowing driving aids.

Name of PSN accounts
One thing I'm sure Ph1sher noticed when he was assigned to his division in S.N.A.I.L. was that the name of our PSN accouts was strikingly similar to Turtle's. Is it possible that this was something that S.N.A.I.L. copied from Turtle Racing League? Please consider that S.N.A.I.L. created our divisional accounts all the way back on February 7th, 2012. When Psycho joined S.N.A.I.L. a month later on March 9th, 2012, he was sent a friend request from our SNAIL_Division2 account. Then on May 5th, 2012, he asked for and received access to our SNAIL_Division1 and SNAIL_Division3 accounts as well. Six weeks later, he created Turtle Racing League which utilized accounts named TURTLE_Division1, TURTLE_Division2, and TURTLE_Division3. Based on the timing and Psycho's first hand knowledge of S.N.A.I.L.'s divisional accounts, hopefully it's clear that this wasn't something that S.N.A.I.L. copied from Turtle.

Promotion and Relegation
Promotion and relegation is something that S.N.A.I.L. first discussed on January 30th, 2012. And as with most topics, we deliberated it at length. Psycho even contributed to the conversation on June 5th, 2012, when he offered a suggestion and asked what the "pros and cons" of it would be. Two weeks later, he started Turtle Racing League featuring a system of Promotion and Relegation. I hope this sufficiently proves that Promotion and Relegation is not something that S.N.A.I.L. copied from Turtle Racing League.

Tire Restrictions
Tire restrictions were an important topic in S.N.A.I.L. and we discussed and tweaked them at length. We thought we had finally come to a decision on April 24, 2012, but it wasn't quite right so we fine-tuned it again and again. In fact, Psycho even made his own suggestion for the tire restrictions that S.N.A.I.L. should use. But instead, we opted for these tire restrictions on April 26, 2012:

Two month's later, Psycho created Turtle Racing League with the identical tire restrictions (and has used them ever since):

Points System
Something else Ph1sher may have noticed was how similar the scoring systems were between our two leagues. After all S.N.A.I.L. and Turtle Racing League are the only two leagues on GTPlanet that have maximum score of 100 points in a night. Is this just coincidence or did S.N.A.I.L. in fact steal this idea from Turtle? You can decide for yourself, but one thing I can tell you is that our points system is something that we deliberated at length. After four and half months of discussion and imput from our members, we finally created our "perfect" points system. The "unique" feature of it was that we would award bonus points for winning pole position so that a "perfect" night of racing would result in 100 points:

As for Turtle's points system, there are three things worth mentioning. First, that Psycho admitted that he had "no experience with race series points systems". Second, that he REALLY liked S.N.A.I.L's new points system. And third, that he created Turtle Racing League six weeks later with a strikingly similar 100-point scoring system in which bonus points were awarded to ensure that a "perfect" night would equal 100 points:

In summary, S.N.A.I.L. has worked hard to find some great ideas for our league. One member who was particularly fond of the ideas was Psycho. In fact, on April 29th, 2012, he called many of the ideas "great" and gave them a big "thumbs up". Seven week later, he created Turtle Racing League using those very same ideas.

Please know that this letter is not intended to bash the members of Turtle Racing League. In fact, there are several snails who race in your league too and they are valued members of S.N.A.I.L. The letter is merely an attempt to set the record straight for anyone who has been mislead to believe that S.N.A.I.L., as Ph1sher put it, is "stealing all of Turtle Racing League's ideas". So much time, work, and effort goes into coming up with ideas for a league, that's it's understandable why he reacted the way he did. One person who knows first hand about the efforts behind running a league is Psycho. And no, I'm not talking about the efforts it takes him to run Turtle, I'm talking about the feeling he expressed to the leaders here at S.N.A.I.L. when he said, "I am aware of the effort that goes into each division not to mention the league as a whole. It is very much appreciated!". I guess he has a funny way of showing appreciation..

So the next time Psycho tries to convince you that S.N.A.I.L. is "the enemy" because we stole all of Turtle's ideas, please consider the facts presented above. You might even come to a different conclusion as to who's copying who..

Best Regards,
zer05ive

P.S. Have you guys figured out who I was referring to in that post from last July? ;)

P.P.S. Any idea why your league was named after such a sloooww animal? I mean really, who would name a racing league after something so obviously lacking in speed? :sly:

Last edited:
I didn't see you lagging, we changed the host and that was it, you should've hopped back in

Oh. I guess I'll just try again next week then. I was kind of tentative to rejoin because a few people had the grey lines going across the bottom of their names in the lounge view, similar to when a person first joins a room, so I knew I couldn't see them on track. Kind of dissapointing that my first time was a bust.

D5 Replays uploaded.

D5 felt a bit rough/pushy, but I have not looked at my replays yet. Tight courses... Tight spaces. Last week I thought on Sunday I had some complaints, but viewed on Monday, GP/D first corner weren't purty, but...not lynchin'' time. Some calls can be pretty clear.

Even better, we can always use some additional critical eyes as Stewards... Is that a hand I see in the back there???

G'Night, y'all.

Last edited:
Oh. I guess I'll just try again next week then. I was kind of tentative to rejoin because a few people had the grey lines going across the bottom of their names in the lounge view, similar to when a person first joins a room, so I knew I couldn't see them on track. Kind of dissapointing that my first time was a bust.

Sorry to hear about that. Try these steps next week and let's see if it helps. 👍

Sorry to hear about that. Try these steps next week and let's see if it helps. 👍

I did all but 1 and 4 tonight, and the only reason I didn't do those was because I didn't want to be rude to my family and not let them use things. I've been trying to get my parents to make it so I could get a wired connection for my PS3, but that is very unlikely to happen.

I did all but 1 and 4 tonight, and the only reason I didn't do those was because I didn't want to be rude to my family and not let them use things. I've been trying to get my parents to make it so I could get a wired connection for my PS3, but that is very unlikely to happen.

How far away is the router? My buddy does networking and has given me quite a bit of cable. If I got something the right length. I'd send it to you.

To be honest. I never heard of this Turtle Racing until a friend mentioned them about 6 months ago. That was only because Sat Enduro went boost and said person didn't enjoy boost races. Said person still a SNAIL and didn't have anything negative to say about them. Nor SNAIL. I myself never even looked them up as I just don't have time nor the desire to check any other series out. I watch ORCA, SNAIL, and PURE threads strictly.

I'm not if they think the Nurb room is stolen from them but I see they have a thread about Nurb. No idea what context is inside. Nor do I care. For I started a Nurb room that was inspired by a PURE race where Nic joined and he and I's practice sessions were fun. We met a few more times to just run Nurb and then a few friends joined. It was mentioned I should host something weekly at Nurb. I agreed and that's is where the idea came from. I was granted permission to run under SNAIL as three of my car choices were what we run in Sunday. Saved me from picking cars and helped get more seat time in the weeks cars.

So another SNAIL Event that sure the hell wasn't a stolen idea. Besides Nurb rooms have always gone on. Some people run strictly there.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but I've looked everywhere and cannot find where to view these uploaded replays. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

The replays we upload are just used by the stewards and anyone that enters data for a division. You can't view them online, only in the GT5 game. They're exports from the game and stored in an online file sharing site called SugarSync.

To view them, you need to download them and then load them into GT5.

EDIT:

It was a bit of a rough night in D3, all kinds of connectivity/lag issues from the get go. Very strange.

We still managed to have some fun :) but it would have been better without all the messing around we had to do.

Thanks D3 👍

Getting a new router tomorrow in case it was my connection causing the issues. Had problems seeing xrad, vag, and Dragonwhisky.

The replays we upload are just used by the stewards and anyone that enters data for a division. You can't view them online, only in the GT5 game. They're exports from the game and stored in an online file sharing site called SugarSync.

To view them, you need to download them and then load them into GT5.

EDIT:

It was a bit of a rough night in D3, all kinds of connectivity/lag issues from the get go. Very strange.

We still managed to have some fun :) but it would have been better without all the messing around we had to do.

Thanks D3 👍

Ahhh got it, thanks.

I experienced something I've never seen before after I ran a cat5 cable to hardwire my ps3 tonight. After I saved my settings and attempted to perform a speed test I saw a message about my router not being able to do something regarding partial....something something IP something and I should consult the manufacturer of the router, yada yada. Had never saw that before the newest update.

Division 4 Report

We had similar lag and connectivity issues as well. Tonight was much weirder than we have had in the past. It really monked up the first half hour of the night. In traditional D4 fashion, everyone was very patient and willing to go "as long as it takes to get it right". Great attitude from everyone! Again thanks to moperlover and everyone else that help keep all of us animals in the barn!

Although connection issues plagued the evening, the racing was still fantastic!! From what I could see from the picnic area, it was pretty clean and there were many epic battles!! I have to check the data but I think the first race was decided by .002!!

Between the confusion of the beginning of the night and not being on my game tonight, the final points standings will change a bit because I did not add a new driver to the line up on the directors doc. I will have this all sorted tomorrow... Again, thanks for another great night of racing D4!!

...And the D4 replays are up!...

I experienced something I've never seen before after I ran a cat5 cable to hardwire my ps3 tonight. After I saved my settings and attempted to perform a speed test I saw a message about my router not being able to do something regarding partial....something something IP something and I should consult the manufacturer of the router, yada yada. Had never saw that before the newest update.

That is exactly the message I had tonight when doing the speed test on the ps3.

The PSN has been really off the last few weeks. Guys I'd be willing to bet its on the Server side and nothing to do with any of us.

How far away is the router? My buddy does networking and has given me quite a bit of cable. If I got something the right length. I'd send it to you.

A cable long enough would be too cumbersome. The PS3 and router are on different floors, though the rooms they are in are in the same spot of the house. The staitcase is about halfway across the house, so a cable running along the ceiling would look horrid, and we also like being able to close our doors. Another thing is that I don't know how thick the floor is upstairs or where wires are, so I don't want to drill a hole through the floor. Ideally, the router, and by that extent the modem, would be downstairs, where we spend all of our time, but I'm not sure if any of the right wall ports are downstairs.

A cable long enough would be too cumbersome. The PS3 and router are on different floors, though the rooms they are in are in the same spot of the house. The staitcase is about halfway across the house, so a cable running along the ceiling would look horrid, and we also like being able to close our doors. Another thing is that I don't know how thick the floor is upstairs or where wires are, so I don't want to drill a hole through the floor. Ideally, the router, and by that extent the modem, would be downstairs, where we spend all of our time, but I'm not sure if any of the right wall ports are downstairs.

Oh man. Yea you need to do a wall plate style set up. Where the wire is fished in the wall and you have a plate with female connections. For the DIY type this is fairly easy but if you are not. Prob not something you can convince the parents of. :/

As stated above. Most likely PSN's issue not the users.

Back